Author Topic: Hello FW's, newbie just registered  (Read 1018 times)

Offline altemark

Hello FW's, newbie just registered
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:40:01 »
I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now, but finally decided to register.

Ever since I was a kid typing on an IBM Model M connected to my PS/2, I've loved typing and also the feel and sound of buckling spring keyboards. In my professional life I work as a transcriptionist, and after doing that for a few years you of course get ideas on what kind of keyboard would produce the optimal (and most ergonomic) typing experience. Because of this, I sought out the veyboard/velotype keyboard (a chording-type apparatus invented by a Dutch engineer in the 80's). However, achieving the kind of WPM I have on a QUERTY board would mean registering for one of the audiovisual direct text or d/Deaf or hard of hearing interpreter courses - something I mean to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My daily use keyboard is currently a Kinesis Freestyle 2 (with VIP3), and I'm also waiting on my Ergodox kit from the latest group buy. No proper soldering experience behind me, but I'm ready to learn, because I really like the design idea (even though I also have ideas about improvements, as many other people here, I venture). The Kinesis not having mechanical switches is driving me mad, so I'm just happy to have a split keyboard with nice action. But the Velotype is king when it comes to rational keyboard design imho.

(this is the veyboard version, but right now i have the older Soviet tank factory style Velotype. Last year another company released the Velotype Pro - significantly improved in terms of having cross-platform support and a nice trackpad - but, sadly, it also uses scissor switches, which makes it more or less unusable imho....)

Anyway, glad to finally having taken the plunge and joining this community of key nerddom

Allt gott, kamrater!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello FW's, newbie just registered
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 21:57:40 »
You've been caught by the triple-posting goblins :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline altemark

Re: Hello FW's, newbie just registered
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 16:43:08 »
Goblins are my speciality!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 16:57:12 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:23:01 by esoomenona »