Author Topic: Is it hard to touch type on SA profile?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
Is it hard to touch type on SA profile?
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:38:32 »
I ordered some SA profile keycaps and they're coming soon but I only just noticed that most of them don't have home row bumps(I can't order deep dish caps any more because the GB ended), will this give me issues with touch typing?

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Is it hard to touch type on SA profile?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:14:59 »
Drop a bit of glue there to make a nib.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 18:45:08 »
Drop a bit of glue there to make a nib.
Is there any other way to mark home keys? I'm kind of worried that putting glue on them will mess up the caps/how they look :v

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 18:48:44 »
The lack of home bumps/scooped caps isn’t really too big a problem in practice in my experience.

Personally I find DSA and SA to be a roughly comparable typing experience; fairly similar to a flat keyboard like a laptop, though with the addition of a bit more top shape to the caps, which makes it a bit nicer (plus more switch travel, obviously). I prefer DCS or properly sculpted spherical caps. I really hope we can get some SS profile group buys up in the future.

cf. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63052
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 18:50:35 by jacobolus »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 21:37:14 »
I ordered some SA profile keycaps and they're coming soon but I only just noticed that most of them don't have home row bumps(I can't order deep dish caps any more because the GB ended), will this give me issues with touch typing?
I have been using a set of SA keys without homing keys. I did have problems initially finding the home keys. I still have to periodically look down, but only when I am gaming. In short, it has not been a big issue. SA is worth it. :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:05:46 »

The lack of home bumps/scooped caps isn’t really too big a problem in practice in my experience.

Personally I find DSA and SA to be a roughly comparable typing experience; fairly similar to a flat keyboard like a laptop, though with the addition of a bit more top shape to the caps, which makes it a bit nicer (plus more switch travel, obviously). I prefer DCS or properly sculpted spherical caps. I really hope we can get some SS profile group buys up in the future.

cf. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63052

I totally agree with everything he said. There's other reasons I don't like SA too (aesthetics, finger mechanics, etc).  Too bad it's the rage right now. Not much out there in DCS much less SS.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:06:35 »
What is this SS profile you speak of?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:27:55 »
http://keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SSFamily.pdf

I got MassDrop to order some blank one-off SS keycaps of 1x1 and 1x1.5u sizes in all the available rows, along with a spacebar, so we can hopefully see what they’re like soon. Not sure how long it’ll take them to make those though; I’m hoping less than a couple months.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:35:20 »
you will make a GB SSkeycap? :D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 12:21:31 »
guys please don't bring the sa hate train into this thread  :(
will a drop of clear nail polish mess up the caps?

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:31:15 »
guys please don't bring the sa hate train into this thread  :(
will a drop of clear nail polish mess up the caps?

I don't know if it will react or not, but whatever you use, try dabbing a tiny amount onto the inside of one of the caps. That way you can see if it reacts or not, and if it does, you haven't visibly damaged the keycap.

If you have some extra keycaps you don't care about laying around, grab one of the same material as the keycap set you ordered and dab on the inside of that.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline bianco

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:54:13 »
although the SA looks nice, the lack of homing keys ruins the experience for me.
the deep dish i suppose helps. but my penumbra didn't have those.
last straw was the smooth surface of the keys.
now i'm back to dcs.
patiently waiting on gmk dolch.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:09:05 »
The PuLSE GB (which I believe is the set in question) is contoured... not just row 3. It's 3-1-2-3-4-3, so it has proper curvature for the alphanumeric area. I believe Matt3o will be running a contoured SA set soon, too.

Got to say, from the profile images on SP's site I much prefer SA to SS profile. So let's try to stick to the topic in hand, shall we?

Anyway, I don't think nail polish is the best thing to use, since they usually use acetone as a solvent and that can dissolve ABS. I would rather try some glue and as meow a cat mentioned, try it on the inside of a cap first. Or ask in the GB thread if someone ordered and extra deep dish kit they'd be willing to sell to you.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sov

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 23:53:06 »
I personally didn't have any trouble touch typing with them after giving myself a day or so to get adjusted to the different profile. The set I ordered had two deep-dish caps and I got acclimated to those pretty quickly as far as finding my place on the board.  My issues with the set came from the profile itself, which I just found to not be my preference.  All of that said I think you'll adjust quickly and not have issues after a day or so. Hope you enjoy the caps!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:16:51 »
Got to say, from the profile images on SP's site I much prefer SA to SS profile. So let's try to stick to the topic in hand, shall we?
The topic of the thread is: “Is it hard to touch type on SA profile?”

Though it seems like the OP is mostly concerned with homing bumps, I decided to answer the thread title question more generally.

My answer is: I find touch typing on SA (assuming the keyswitches have straight – not angled – stems) to less comfortable than touch typing on sculptured profiles like DCS or Cherry or SS or curved-plate-uniform-profile boards like an IBM Model M/F. I find typing on SA to be relatively similar to touch typing on any non-sculptured profile, e.g. DSA or a laptop chiclet keyboard, though there’s a little bit of sculpturing to SA relative to those, and the number row should be slightly easier to reach. Someone who really likes typing on a flat profile like DSA or a laptop keyboard will probably like SA too. SA looks really pretty, and makes a nice sound, and feels very solid. Spherical tops are great fun.

Then someone else asked “what is SS”, so there was a response to that. I don’t think it’s particularly far off topic, since SA and SS are in some respects similar (spherical tops, high profile); seems pretty reasonable to compare one against the other.

Based on your “I much prefer SA to SS profile”, I recommend you try to find a beam spring board, or an old Honeywell hall effect board, so you can try something similar to SS in person (more specifically, they’re very similar to SA but the switches have angled stems). It really is very nice in practice.

But hey, use whatever floats your boat.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:49:12 by jacobolus »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:03:31 »
Right now, Penumbra is floating my boat big time! Typing this on SA topped ErgoClears and loving it. I can't wait for my PuLSE set to arrive. I just want that contour. Penumbra is all Row 3 on the alpha keys.

Staggered row heights is really a legacy of high mounted typewriter boards, which are not great from an ergonomics point of view. As you say, though, each to their own. <EDIT> looking at the set now on my 60% it does look like at least a small tilt would make them feel better to use. Not much, just a hair would do. The Row 2 to Row 3 angles and heights and angles show this most clearly. I may try an overlapped acrylic plate to simulate the angle / stagger as a n experiment.</EDIT>

I am finding the lack of homing bumps to be okay, but I look at my keys now and then to orient myself and don't truly "touch type".
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:42:39 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:46:18 »
I don't know what the keycap profile has to do with your ability to touchtype?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:48:28 »

For me I find the difference from OEM to DSA to drastically reduce my ability to touch type. From OEM to SA affects it some, but not as much as DSA.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:59:24 »

SA just feels wrong. I tried to get used to it for almost a month but saw no improvements, just couldn't get used to them in terms of muscle memory. Spherical tops are nice, but the profile itself is an abomination.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:23:26 »
There are ppl out there who love them to death! But jeah on second glance it makes sense that your ability to touchtype can be affected by keycap profile.
I have a similar problem on my notebook, I still can touchtype but it feels odd.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:41:43 »
i'm talking about the general lack of homing nubs on sa profile keys

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 07:10:56 »
Wait what... Okay this would totally threw me off! And I concider myself a decent touch typist. The homing nubs are essential for my right  hand to reposition itself after using the mouse!

But they are pretty sweet tho :/

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 05:52:21 »
Some sets come with deep dish F and J caps which makes it easier.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 08:43:54 »

SA just feels wrong. I tried to get used to it for almost a month but saw no improvements, just couldn't get used to them in terms of muscle memory. Spherical tops are nice, but the profile itself is an abomination.

What do you mean by "abomination"? Some specifics, facts, or data, may be a little bit more useful.  :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 08:51:52 »

What do you mean by "abomination"? Some specifics, facts, or data, may be a little bit more useful.  :)
It's all known as an opinion, no reason or data needed.