Author Topic: marking home keys  (Read 3417 times)

Offline gcb

marking home keys
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:30:43 »
bought a beautiful penumbra set from binge and now i am going crazy because the keys do not have the little nubs on the home keys.

i'm using qwerty so i will put them on F and J as usual.

I'm considering options:

A) a drop of epoxy

B) saw a stripe like  jaymatter did

C) rape this beautiful set and use caps from another set that have nubs. or maybe even a metal cap for those two keys.

any better alternatives?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:34:35 by gcb »

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
Re: marking home keys
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:39:37 »
Do what I did and use a dremel; Get one of the thin sand wheels and just etch your design into the top :)!
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline gcb

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:44:32 »
Do what I did and use a dremel; Get one of the thin sand wheels and just etch your design into the top :)!

that is almost option B above. i like the epoxy one better so far because i am pretty sure the mess i will make with a dremel :(

did you manage to make precise geometric shapes on yours?

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 18:51:32 »
Nah I just took the paint off the sides, but if you use a thin enough sanding blade you could do something interesting.
I don't know about Advanced Geometry, that is more or less something for molds (laser etch detail is hard to do by hand).

You can see what I did in this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64264.0

Offline gcb

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:03:15 »
Nah I just took the paint off the sides, but if you use a thin enough sanding blade you could do something interesting.
I don't know about Advanced Geometry, that is more or less something for molds (laser etch detail is hard to do by hand).

You can see what I did in this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64264.0

Ah ok, i finally understood what you meant.

i'm looking for something tactile. i don't have lights and the keyboard is almost under the desk at most times...

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:51:51 »
Yeah, I'd still say use a dremel and figure out what kind of little icon you want on the keys (make it kind of simple) and just grind it in.

Why not? :P

Even easier to do when you have extra sets of keys laying around.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 22:58:11 »
Yeah, could use some kind of grip sticker or thing such as that.

Snowboarding / Hockey grip tape, maybe? The problem with using anything that has adhesive, though, is the residue it leaves and during hard gaming sessions tape wouldn't cut it.
How does the dot stick on; I guess instead of making a raised bump you could make holes via a dremel.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:00:52 »
I would use a drop of clear fingernail polish.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 23:05:33 »
If fingernail polish doesn't last you could mix up some epoxy resin and then use a hypo needle to neatly put a drop on the key. Should last forever once it cures.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:08:23 »
Drill a tiny hole. Insert a piece of plastic rod in it. A drop of glue on the inside.

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:02:59 »
Drill a tiny hole. Insert a piece of plastic rod in it. A drop of glue on the inside.

That gave me the idea of Drilling a filling area (or creating a keycap with a recess on top) that you could put metals into, copper or some such -- gold leaf?

Offline gcb

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 20:31:39 »
i'm busy with other stuff, but i think i will go with a compilation of the ideas here:

'drill' (more like scrap) a very small half sphere out of the top of the key.

drop with a toothpick a dab of epoxy.

the little recession would make for a better surface tension holder for the drop of epoxy to cure round instead of flattening all over the key. and also hopefully help it stay in place with time/use.

when i finally can get around to do it, i will post results.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 20:51:18 »
i'm busy with other stuff, but i think i will go with a compilation of the ideas here:

the little recession would make for a better surface tension holder for the drop of epoxy to cure round instead of flattening all over the key. and also hopefully help it stay in place with time/use.

When you do it, spin the drill bit with your fingers.  If you don't have a drill bit made fro plastics (acrylic and brass are horrible with this), you run the risk of the drill bit grabbing and essentially threading the cap at the same pitch as the flutes on the drill bit.

I have seen this happen with acrylic and it can actually pull the piece being drill out of the vise on the drill press.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 01:30:00 »

This sounds like a very good plan. I would stay clear of nail polish since the acetone can melt ABS.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 02:17:49 »
Couldn't you flip the key around so you could find it by feel, and then you wouldn't have to destroy a key.
eh o well

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 03:20:56 »
Or, dermal a little crater and put a small bearing in it?

Offline gcb

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:38:01 »
Couldn't you flip the key around so you could find it by feel, and then you wouldn't have to destroy a key.

lol i tried. im not very keen on naming key shapes and sizes... but this set is simetrical on the home row.

Or, dermal a little crater and put a small bearing in it?

that is interesting. and i have plenty... if the epoxy do not form a good round blob i will probably go that route

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:23:03 »
I've been thinking of using the was keycaps with a customer layout.   Sadly abs.    Can anyone confirm that was custom sets have home key bumps?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:28:06 »
I've been thinking of using the was keycaps with a customer layout.   Sadly abs.    Can anyone confirm that was custom sets have home key bumps?

Most DCS sets do AFAIK
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90