Author Topic: Where can I get an Ergodox?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline cksa361

Where can I get an Ergodox?
« on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 04:09:28 »
Just found out about the ergodox/mechanical keyboards a few days back!!! VERY keen to get one. I am good at soldering and assembling from parts in general so just acquiring the parts isn't an issue (electronics engineer by profession). However, I don't want to get a PCB fabbed up just for this and spend time laser cutting out a case for it....would be nice if I could just get the parts ready to be assembled....sort of like the massdrop runs.....but it doesn't seem to be an active group buy at the moment :(

Are there any available sources out there?

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
eh o well

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: Where can I get an Ergodox?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 06:01:44 »
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly.php

Isn't that just the installation instructions lol.

afaik, I think you'll have to wait for a drop or buy it off geekhack classifieds.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:46:46 »

afaik, I think you'll have to wait for a drop or buy it off geekhack classifieds.

It also has the parts list. 

2 x PCB
10 x Acrylic case Plates (see this image for layer ordering)
1 x Teensy USB Board, Version 2
1 x MCP23018 I/O expander
1 x 3.5mm TRRS connector
1 x USB mini B plug
1 x 0.1uF ceramic capacitor
76 x 1N4148W-7-F diode (surface-mount)
1 x 2.2k ohm resistor
3 x 3mm T1 LED
2 x 220 ohm resistor
76 x Cherry MX switch
2 x USB cable Male A to male mini B
1 x TRRS cable
14 x Case screws/nuts (16 for Full cases)

pcb can be found ( http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=537 )
eh o well

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 12:07:43 »

It also has the parts list. 

2 x PCB
10 x Acrylic case Plates (see this image for layer ordering)
1 x Teensy USB Board, Version 2
1 x MCP23018 I/O expander
1 x 3.5mm TRRS connector
1 x USB mini B plug
1 x 0.1uF ceramic capacitor
76 x 1N4148W-7-F diode (surface-mount)
1 x 2.2k ohm resistor
3 x 3mm T1 LED
2 x 220 ohm resistor
76 x Cherry MX switch
2 x USB cable Male A to male mini B
1 x TRRS cable
14 x Case screws/nuts (16 for Full cases)

pcb can be found ( http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=537 )

Ah, I see :)

Op would need to source a case, which I feel is the hardest if he wants to build one using parts he can find

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 20:55:26 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A flood of Ergo Dox replies already.  I knew it was popular, but not THAT popular ;)  Where's tp4 these days?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 22:12:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A flood of Ergo Dox replies already.  I knew it was popular, but not THAT popular ;)  Where's tp4 these days?

Busy promoting.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 22:55:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Busy promoting.

LOL I guess he doesn't need to preach to the converted!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snowe

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 02:00:23 »
A list of all of the parts can be found on ergodox.org with links to the respective parts on DigiKey. The rest can be found on falbatech and mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline micceo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:51:51 »
For the case you can also source the acrylic sheets and cut a case out, if you have access to a cheap laser printer.