Author Topic: [IC] iDye Poly  (Read 15937 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
[IC] iDye Poly
« on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:27:59 »
After I did my HHKB, it seemed like a lot of people were interested in how I dyed the mods. 

More

I used iDye Poly which doesn't seem like it's all that easy to find at a good price online.  Most of the places I see selling it sell it for $3.50-5.00 + shipping.  I can get it locally for $2.50 +tax.  Since I know the owner of the place that sells it and my dad does business with him, I may be able to get it cheaper if enough people were interested in certain colors.  AFAIK, they have all the colors available that Jacquard makes.  If people are interested in it, I'd be willing to buy a bunch for people and ship them all at cost.  If this is something you'd be interested in, just leave a message below.

A little note on iDye Poly.  It is the only dye I have seen that can easily dye ABS and it dyes PBT in minutes instead of the hours that Dylon and some of the other dyes take.  So if you had a keyboard that you wanted to dye the white or cream case on, you could dye it.  I haven't used the lighter colors, but the darker colors give an awesome even coloring as long as the caps are nice and clean.

Interest check form

FAQ:   

Q:  Will this dye...
A:  Let me cut you off and say I have no clue.  I know it works with PBT, did a good job dying the ABS spacebar for a HHKB (though it warped it because the temp was too high), and that it's popular with those who want to personalize their discs for disc golf.

Q:  Will it fade?
A:  All dyes fade.  When this will fade, I have no clue.  There is a UV blocker additive that may help prevent fading from UV exposure, but I think it may only be for iDye, not the iDye Poly.

Q:  What does x color look like and how well does it dye?
A:  I don't know.  I've done Violet and Lilac on white, light grey, and light blue caps.  They all turned out well.  I haven't tried any of the lighter colors or on darker caps.  And no, you cannot dye black caps.  Dying is an additive process. You can't add color to black.

Q: How do I use it/how long does it take/etc?
A:  I'll do a write up if the GB goes live.  It's easy and the longest part is waiting for the water to boil.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 21:25:54 by nubbinator »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [IC] iDye Poly
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:35:36 »
May I ask how you kept the legends from being dyed over? Did you tape them? Is the dyeing process simple? Sorry if these are silly questions.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:42:19 »
Since the temps are low enough and you don't leave it in the hot water long enough, the legends don't get super fuzzy.  The black legends do still show through.

The dying process is ridiculously simple, just dump the packet and color enhancer in the water, stir to a boil, let boil or nearly boil for a little bit, cool it down below where ABS or PBT warps, then dump it in and stir for a couple of minutes until the color is reached.  Adding vinegar or salt may help, but I haven't tried it to see.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:44:24 »
Damn nubs where was this post this morning, i ordered a couple packs off ebay :( $14 for 3
sell out and eat ass

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:44:40 »
Nubs would this dye white PVC?

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:46:34 »
I'd be in for the deep purple then. I got a bunch of ABS keys from my Race S that I don't like as white. Could be worth trying to dye and see if it gives them new life.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:49:35 »
Do you think you could get a rich, dark black using this stuff? I've been trying to find a blank black PBT set for a while now and, in my head, I was thinking of doing something like picking up another set of blank white PBT keys from BangGood and trying to dye them black.

I wonder if it would work on one of the navy blue blank Leopold PBT sets. It seems to me it might be more worthwhile to go through this process for thick PBT.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:54:35 »
Damn nubs where was this post this morning, i ordered a couple packs off ebay :( $14 for 3

Should've PMed me, I've been offering to buy for people who needed some.  Nearly $5 a packet is too much.

Nubs would this dye white PVC?

Supposedly it does.  I know people use it to dye their discs (frisbees) for disc golf.

I'd be in for the deep purple then. I got a bunch of ABS keys from my Race S that I don't like as white. Could be worth trying to dye and see if it gives them new life.

You have to be very careful with the temp with ABS.  I accidentally warped a HHKB by getting it too hot.

Edit: HHKB spacebar, not the whole thing.  That would be a travesty.

Do you think you could get a rich, dark black using this stuff? I've been trying to find a blank black PBT set for a while now and, in my head, I was thinking of doing something like picking up another set of blank white PBT keys from BangGood and trying to dye them black.

I wonder if it would work on one of the navy blue blank Leopold PBT sets. It seems to me it might be more worthwhile to go through this process for thick PBT.

Given my results, I think it could.  Some of the pictures I've seen also suggest that it can get nice dark colors.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:15:12 by nubbinator »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:13:41 »
Sounds good. If anything it's worth trying and learning - that stock keycap set is worthless to me otherwise.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:48:46 »
So, I guess the difference between dying on lighter caps versus darker caps creates a difference in how the dyes works, right?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:49:24 »
Was there an instruction sheet on how to dye the caps?

Offline Distilled

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:51:33 »
Nubs, how big are the packets? These are $8 ea + shipping locally (domestic shipping is often the same as international for us), wondering if it will be cheaper even with international shipping.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:52:34 »
So, I guess the difference between dying on lighter caps versus darker caps creates a difference in how the dyes works, right?

Of course. The difference was marginal with the lilac on the HHKB caps, but darker color caps would be darker and I'm sure the lighter dyes wouldn't work as well with darker caps.

Was there an instruction sheet on how to dye the caps?

It's printed in the packet. 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:13:01 »
Totally interested in this.   :thumb:   Thanks for organizing, nubs.

If I'm understanding correctly, I am interested in:
  • 448 Orange
  • 449 Red
  • 451 Blue
  • 452 Green
  • 454 Black
  • 459 Turquoise

And maybe more.   :-\   They all seem great, and I'm not even sure what colour schemes I would like, so I feel like I should stock up on everything!   :))

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:20:30 »
I don't remember seeing Turqoise, Silver Grey, or Kelly Green there, but if there is enough interest, I can always see if they can get some.  I don't know what the size of the boxes are, but I wouldn't expect to see any kind of discount until we hit something like 25-50 of each color, which could be a stretch.  They are good about ordering stuff you're interested in though.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:20:33 »
Could I dye a plastic tkl case? That would be great!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:21:44 »
Could I dye a plastic tkl case? That would be great!

If it's white or a light grey, odds are good that you could, but I won't guarantee it.  Like I said, it worked on ABS when I tried it and I know it works on disc golf discs, but I can't say with certainty what it will and won't work on.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:22:47 »
Filled out the form, definitely interested!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:26:17 »
I feel like you are going to get a deluge of certain questions, so you may want to put a FAQ in your first post.

Can I dye x? (x= PVC, ABS, Resin, metal, etc.)

What kind of polymer does my keycaps use?

Will this color fade in UV conditions (sunglight)? A: Depends on polymer additives, consider adding iDye Sun Blocker

What temperature should I heat at? A: below the Glass Transition Temperature of the plastic presumably (see: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Aldrich/General_Information/thermal_transitions_of_homopolymers.pdf

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:19:00 »
Additional question - how do I know how many packs do I need?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:37:35 »
Would this work with the caps used on IBM boards? (model M)
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:47:55 »

Model M keycaps are polybutylene terephthalate http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_construction

Edit (forgot to put this): The body is ABS
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43790.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21169.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:49:58 by BlueNalgene »

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 23:45:04 »
This type of dye when used on the key caps shouldn't fade from use should it?

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 00:36:18 »
Submitted to the poll. :]

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 07:14:02 »

Model M keycaps are polybutylene terephthalate http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_construction

Edit (forgot to put this): The body is ABS
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43790.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21169.0

Thanks. Judging by nubs results, it looks like this will look great on PBT.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:45:32 »
Thanks for putting this up nubbs! Definitely wanted to try dyeing keys at some point but getting some supplies at a discount will make me a little less worried about screwing things up :))
Submitted IC form.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:47:04 »
Thanks for putting this up nubbs! Definitely wanted to try dyeing keys at some point but getting some supplies at a discount will make me a little less worried about screwing things up :))
Submitted IC form.

I think screwing the expensive keycaps up is another thing all together :(

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:17:08 »
Submitted IC form.

I think screwing the expensive keycaps up is another thing all together :(
yeah, I'm definitely going to try something cheap (like Banggood PBT) before I throw a batch of Topre keys in  :p
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:19:30 »
I'd be interested in that shade of purple you did your HHKB mods in. You wouldn't happen to have a leftover packet you could sell me would you nubbinator? If not, it's not a problem and I filled out the IC form :).

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 19:10:15 »
So the gunmetal would be a dark grey, yes? I just checked their page and they sort of have 2 colours representing the poly gunmetal
Also, the metallic stuff isn't shiny, right? I would rather not have sparkly keys this time around.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 21:26:39 »
I'd be interested in that shade of purple you did your HHKB mods in. You wouldn't happen to have a leftover packet you could sell me would you nubbinator? If not, it's not a problem and I filled out the IC form :).

I only have a crimson packet I'm planning on using.  I really want some one piece BS caps to play with, but even some two piece ones would work.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 17:48:58 »
I filled out the form.  Thanks, Mr. Nubbins!

Is one packet enough to dye a full keyset?  Or my living room?

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:41:44 »
sweet! i'm down for 1 of each.

edit: had to re-fill the form (wouldn't let me edit my first form submission of 2 each). so please ignore the double form entry, i'm down for 1 of each.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:52:20 by Vizir »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:52:17 »
I filled out the form.  Thanks, Mr. Nubbins!

Is one packet enough to dye a full keyset?  Or my living room?

Show Image

A full keyset and then some, you'll have to let me know about the living room though.

Offline Ripudio

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:07:18 »
This is almost definitely a stupid question, but I just want to make sure. I'm guessing you got extra white keys that you then dyed for your awesome purple modifiers?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 17:22:25 »
Alright, due to an unexpected sale, I bought up ~$150 worth of iDye Poly today.  I bought all I could of some of the colors, which is less than the numbers people wanted, but that's all I could do.  Other colors I can go back and get more of, namely the yellows and orange, some greys and kelly greens, and I think some of the reds.

I'll be listing how many of each color for who shortly.  Each pack will be $2.25 + PP fees (or gift) + shipping cost.  The price breakdown is $1.97 sale price + $0.155 tax per packet (rounded to $0.16) + $0.12 for gas to get there and back/packaging costs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 18:29:38 by nubbinator »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 18:21:23 »
I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can finish out some more of the numbers people wanted, but right now, this is how it stands.  I'm not sure they'll have more.  And sorry, I didn't see pink there.  People who were on the list first got priority, so I went down and divided the packets based on order in the list.  If you don't want it because it's not all you wanted, let me know and I can see if I can fill someone else down the list.  Even if it's not the full order, it should still work out cheaper than buying it online.

More
More
byker: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Violet, 1x Blue, 1x Crimson

Total = 3 Packets

HoffmanMyster: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Orange, 1x Red, 1x Blue, 1x Green, 1x Black, 1x Turqouise

Total = 6 packets

Distilled: - paid, packaged, and in transit

2x Violet, 2x Blue, 2x Lilac, 2x Gun Metal

Total = 8 packets

Ripudio: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Orange, 1x Violet, 1x Green, 1x Black, 1x Crimson, 1x Turquoise, 1x Kelly Green, 2x Gun Metal

Total = 9 packets

mogo: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Orange, 1x Black, 1x Gun Metal, 1x Crimson

Total = 4 packets

honoka: - paid, packaged, and in transit

2x Violet, 1x Orange

Total = 5 packets

JinDesu: - didn't hear back, so it moved on.

2x Violet

Ran out of Gun Metal, I do have an extra Silver Grey if that works for you.

Total = 2 packets

MythicalWagyu: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Red, 2x Blue, 1x Black, 1x Crimson, 1x Turquoise, 1x Violet

Total = 7 packets

CPTBadAss: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Turquoise, 1x Lilac, 1x Violet

Total = 3 packets

More
Pyrelink: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Red, x2 Green, 1x Crimson, 2x Turquoise, 2x Blue

All out of Violet, sorry.

Total = 8 packets

iamtootallforthis: - paid, packaged, and in transit

2x Green, 2x Golden Yellow, 1x Crimson, 2x Kelly Green, 2x Silver Grey

Sorry, you got the last Crimson, there weren't enough for two and they were out of Gun Metal.  I do have an extra Red if that would work for you.

Total = 9 packets

Frosty Toast:

1x Silver Grey, 1x Yellow

They were out of Gun Metal and Turquoise, sorry.

Total = 2 packets

naasfu:

All out of Lilac and Turquoise, sorry.

More
Vizir: - paid, packaged, and in transit

1x Kelly Green, 1x Green

All out of Violet, Lilac, and Turquoise.

Total = 2 packets

trizkut:

All out of Crimson, Lilac, and Turquoise, sorry.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:46:08 by nubbinator »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:04:57 »
I also do want the pink that they have in case  forgot to put that down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:08:54 »
I didn't see any pink at the store, but I'll check again when I go tomorrow.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:10:29 »

Thanks pal! Surprised to see you moving so quickly. I don't think it has even been a week since this thread came up

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:13:21 »

Thanks pal! Surprised to see you moving so quickly. I don't think it has even been a week since this thread came up

I wasn't planning on doing it so soon and without CoH, but they had a 25% off everything in the store sale.  I figured $2.25 each would be more attractive than $2.75-2.80 each.  If people back out, I can sell the remainders in the classifieds and not lose any money.

Offline Pyrelink

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:16:12 »
Replied.

Still not sure what I want to use it on yet. Maybe my IBM could use a bit of color...

Offline Vizir

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:18:07 »

Exactly!

Thanks again for doing this, nubbinator.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:19:06 »
Just FYI, for all those who PM me whose orders are full, I'll either invoice you or request a Paypal gift to cover costs and will ship shortly.  For all those missing things, I'll respond to your PMs regarding shipping tomorrow after I check the store again.  If it's a non-shipping/payment related PM, I'll respond and answer your question

Replied.

Still not sure what I want to use it on yet. Maybe my IBM could use a bit of color...

I'm getting one cheap that's in sad shape...if I can ever figure out how the hell to pay for it.  I plan on cleaning it up, trying to repair it and bolt mod it, and dying the case black, the mods either grey or crimson, and the alphas red.  That or doing a sunburst with red or crimson case, orange mods, and yellow alphas.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:21:32 by nubbinator »

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:11:52 »
nubbinator,

Would you please let us know if you have any that have any extras (that people didn't want or if you ordered too much).  I might scoop up some remainders since I wasn't sure about ordering when the IC started.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 22:19:24 »
Any extras will go on sale in the Classifieds and will be first come first serve based upon responses in the thread.  The price may increase a little for Classifieds sales as well since I'm fronting the money and not everything might sell.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 16:20:57 »
Alright, I updated the numbers with what was available.  If your name is hidden, it's because you paid up and it's shipped.

Please contact me no later than the end of the day tomorrow about the orders.  If I don't hear back from you, I'll try to fill the next person down the line missing stuff.  If everything is not paid for and gone by next weekend, I will be placing it up in the Classifieds to try and recoup my costs.  So far I've only recouped 1/3 of my cost.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 16:43:04 »
I'm not in dire need for the dyes so you can wait until they stock up on the colours I want.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 18:00:12 »
Thanks for all of you who are quick payers.

I'm not in dire need for the dyes so you can wait until they stock up on the colours I want.

This is probably the one time I'm doing this unless interest gets big again, then I'll wait until their next 25% off sale.  It just doesn't make sense for me to keep going down there to try and stock up for people.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 18:10:53 »
Thank you so much for going through this hassle for all of us, it's deeply appreciated!  :thumb: