Author Topic: Looking for gaming keyboard recommendations  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Nereruo

Looking for gaming keyboard recommendations
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:01:11 »
Hi guys :)!

I want to replace my current gaming gear because I can't deal with Razer subpar build quality anymore. After a bit of research I narrowed down my options to the ones below, but feel free to recommend me something that's not on the list:

– Roccat Ryos MK Pro;
– Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB;
– Cooler Master Mech;
– Cougar 700K.

My ideal keyboard needs to be mechanical, have at least 5 dedicated macro keys and an overall good build quality. I've read some pretty nasty things about Roccat and Corsair peripherals, but I never had any of their products so I can't comment on the quality. I could really use your expertise :D!

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:05:01 by Nereruo »

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
Re: Looking for gaming keyboard recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:14:56 »
The K70 RGB can be programmed, so if you don't REALLY need dedicated macro keys you can save money and deskspace by getting the K70 RGB.

You could just program the numpad or some other sets of keys that you don't use, for your macros.

I don't recommend CM Storm, nothing but a dead end there and it doesn't even have RGB lighting like Corsairs boards.
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline Nereruo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:07:00 »
The K70 RGB can be programmed, so if you don't REALLY need dedicated macro keys you can save money and deskspace by getting the K70 RGB.

You could just program the numpad or some other sets of keys that you don't use, for your macros.

I don't recommend CM Storm, nothing but a dead end there and it doesn't even have RGB lighting like Corsairs boards.

I really do use the numpad, though. Not only that: I tend to prefer full sized keyboards since desk space is not a problem for me at all. I know I can use AutoHotkey to program any keyboard, but I want one with dedicated macro keys so I don't have to press a sequence of keys every time I need to use them.

I heard Corsair RGB line is not "true" RGB because it's only capable of displaying 511 colors, is that right? The keycaps don't seem particularly good either. Are the Roccat keyboards any good? What about Cougars?

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:09:06 »
K70 Is a full sized keyboard, it just doesn't have the extra dedicated macro keys that the K95 has.

What you heard is some nonsense made up by some lunatic in another thread who will accept no answer, probably a troll who hates the new corsair logo so they are just trashing the RGB series for no reason.
It can and does display 16.8 million colors, regardless of what some ingrate says.
The keycaps are fine, I don't understand what you expect here. Roccat is trash. Cougar keyboards? I have some Cougar fans, but not keyboards (that should tell you something).

Offline Nereruo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:22:02 »
K70 Is a full sized keyboard, it just doesn't have the extra dedicated macro keys that the K95 has.

What you heard is some nonsense made up by some lunatic in another thread who will accept no answer, probably a troll who hates the new corsair logo so they are just trashing the RGB series for no reason.
It can and does display 16.8 million colors, regardless of what some ingrate says.
The keycaps are fine, I don't understand what you expect here. Roccat is trash. Cougar keyboards? I have some Cougar fans, but not keyboards (that should tell you something).

You know, this looks like a very compelling argument. Anyway, apart from the Corsair keyboards, do you have any other recommendations for me?

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:49:13 »
They don't even have one of the keyboards and they don't know what they are talking about.

They are going based off of vanilla specifications of a chip that has been customized in house by Corsair, it is a completely irrelevant claim.
The keyboard couldn't do what it can do if it could only display 512 colors, I have a video showing the colors and it is more than 512.

Another keyboard  to recommend?
Not really, The only other mechanical keyboards I have owned are CM Storm and since their support wouldn't help me, I won't help them by recommending their boards.
The K70 RGB is the One board I recommend, or K95 RGB if you want the macros.

Others will recommend different boards, but they also like different layouts so it is all subjective/personal preference.

Pick the board that does what you want, fits your budget and serves your purpose.

Offline Nereruo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:18:50 »
They don't even have one of the keyboards and they don't know what they are talking about.

They are going based off of vanilla specifications of a chip that has been customized in house by Corsair, it is a completely irrelevant claim.
The keyboard couldn't do what it can do if it could only display 512 colors, I have a video showing the colors and it is more than 512.

Another keyboard  to recommend?
Not really, The only other mechanical keyboards I have owned are CM Storm and since their support wouldn't help me, I won't help them by recommending their boards.
The K70 RGB is the One board I recommend, or K95 RGB if you want the macros.

Others will recommend different boards, but they also like different layouts so it is all subjective/personal preference.

Pick the board that does what you want, fits your budget and serves your purpose.

It's not just a matter of picking the one that serves my purpose. I could go with the new BlackWidow Chroma because I can afford it, but I know Razer doesn't have quality control and their products break/malfunction after 3 months of use (if you're lucky, that is). That's why I'm looking for recommendations. If I'm going to spend around 200 bucks in a keyboard, I expect it to have the finest quality on the market (bright backlights, resistant keycaps, good mechanical switches, great construction and so on). Unfortunately, I can't test every keyboard out there so I have to rely on other people's opinions.

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:32:06 »
Well, the ironic thing is that I am suggesting the one that matches all of what you seek, but you seem to want something else.

There are some bad reviews of the boards on amazon, but guess what, they show their bias because they all talk about the logo. People are upset and whining about corsairs logo change so they create bad reviews for no reason.

I received the board and it is great. Aluminum plate, whichever cherry mx you want (blue, red, brown -- can only find red atm), very strong overall board.
I don't know what else to tell you, you're right that those other brands have awful quality control -- that is why I don't even mention them.

From first hand experience, I'd still suggest K70 or K95 RGB; I can't think of or suggest anything else.

You can see pics and video of my board in action here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64261.0

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:54:50 »
I would not recommend ANY of those you list. They all have a non-standard bottom row, so it will not be easy (or even possible in some cases) to replace the keycaps with better ones due to the fact that no aftermarket keycap sets will fit properly (and most stock "gaming" keycaps are crap). IMHO, being able to replace the keycaps is a big part of owning a Cherry MX keyboard. They can make a big difference to the feeling of typing and gaming.

Do you really use macro keys? I thought I would when I bought my Microsoft X6, but never actually did. I found it better to bind keys around my movement keys to frequent actions or assign macros in-game to those keys. If you need more, bind Alt+key or Ctrl+key.

If you really do need those macros I would say the Roccat Ryos MK Pro is the best choice. It has those thumb keys which can be used as "Easy-Shift" keys and the spacebar is a 6.25x unit which means you could actually fit some aftermarket caps on if you mix and match a bit (you'd need a Tsangan kit plus some extra 1x keycaps, but some sets have extra novelty caps or blanks that you could use for the macro keys and bottom row 1x keys).

If you can live without macro keys, but still want a full size I would recommend a Ducky Shine 3. If you want to move your mouse hand closer in and can live without a numpad, get the TKL version (also has better ergonomics when typing due to being able to position the main typing area more central to the display while keeping the mouse hand close, too). Better build quality, standard layout, nice lighting modes, etc. A couple more possible switch choices, too.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=gq16k758ts5gnp54rr7o7i9qnijjrfm9&topic=63161.0
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:26:12 »
I think k70 rgb is good idea.
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:43:33 »
Hi guys :)!

I want to replace my current gaming gear because I can't deal with Razer subpar build quality anymore. After a bit of research I narrowed down my options to the ones below, but feel free to recommend me something that's not on the list:

My ideal keyboard needs to be mechanical, have at least 5 dedicated macro keys and an overall good build quality. I've read some pretty nasty things about Roccat and Corsair peripherals, but I never had any of their products so I can't comment on the quality. I could really use your expertise :D!

Thanks in advance.

Roccat Ryos MK Pro

no, just.. no

Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB

ok i guess, but if you're sane and don't type in the dark you have no reason to get this other than looks

to be fair it's a good looking board.. but i hate backlighting.

Cooler Master Mech

also fairly OK, but you can do better

Cougar 700K

never heard of this, which is not a good sign for the quality/rep of it

i keep close tabs on modern mechs

SO WHAT SHOULD I GET, you may be asking yourself

Well, since you mentioned that you like fullsize boards, Filco and Ducky both come to mind immedeately. The Ducky shine 4 is on the horizon (may be already out, I'm not 100% sure), and it looks very promising. The Filco Majestouch 2 is so good that I own TWO. Also in the fullsize range in the Realforce 104/5, but Topre in not super great for gaming IMO.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:57:25 »
In case you're considering the Corsair: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64366.msg1506307#msg1506307

I stand by my recommendations: Ryos could do the job, but if you an live without macro keys, Ducky Shine full size or TKL.

Which switch type are you considering getting?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.