Author Topic: I got a Deck Hassium Pro and the backlighting is awful  (Read 3147 times)

Offline noideawhatimdoing

I got a Deck Hassium Pro and the backlighting is awful
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:04:19 »
The backlighting isn't sufficient even in the dark. For example my Z looks like a 7....

I contacted the company but so far all I have gotten is a "did you put the brightness up all the way" when I already did say "even on full brightness".

I thought these were supposed to be the best backlit boards. Now I have to pay a 10% restocking fee on it AND the shipping back to Mechanicalkeyboards....:(

Not a happy camper right now.

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
Re: I got a Deck Hassium Pro and the backlighting is awful
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:07:13 »
Should just get a Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB with Cherry Red MX's from Newegg.

Don't know why you went with some weird brand. :)
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:13:17 »
The backlighting isn't sufficient even in the dark. For example my Z looks like a 7....

I contacted the company but so far all I have gotten is a "did you put the brightness up all the way" when I already did say "even on full brightness".

I thought these were supposed to be the best backlit boards. Now I have to pay a 10% restocking fee on it AND the shipping back to Mechanicalkeyboards....:(

Not a happy camper right now.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:16:22 »
Keyboards can be damaged in shipping fairly easily.
Seems that nobody knows how to pack a keyboard and the manufacturers over-estimate how strong theirs are.
Package could of been tossed and hit a corner, mis-aligning the board and causing your problem.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:25:09 »
I think it's just how those doubleshot PBT are.  Vortex's backlit keycaps have similar issue, where they don't get the legend fully lit.

If you want even lighting I think the cheapo coated ABS or Maxkeyboard's double ABS are probably better in that respect.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 13:58:49 »
I already have it wrapped up and taped up in the box to return it, so no pics. Is there some mod I can do so I can make it brighter? I find it incredible that on their sites they show everything perfectly and then I get "this".

I went with it because I wanted doubleshot PBT caps (forgive me, tired if I wrote that wrong)...they feel good but it's just not making me happy right now.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:22:37 »

No you definitely shouldn't.

Washed out backlighting with buggy software and only 7 colours per LED, plus a lovely tramp stamp and a stupidly high price tag.

Deck aren't a weird brand either.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:34:03 »
Subjective.

Notice how you just bring it right back to the new logo, when I mentioned to get the old logo board -- the Vengeance.

Hate on corsair for their logo change, but don't disregard good products because of your own personal bias or opinion.

Software works fine for me, that was the old software before the recent updates, again, do your research instead of just hating to hate.

Whaa only 7 colors per led? I came from 1 color, so I am not complaining. Maybe you are just spoiled rotten, even more-so than me (and that is REALLY saying a lot.).

$170 isn't that much, not compared to the custom TKL boards that everyone seems to love on here.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 14:43:53 »
Whaa only 7 colors per led? I came from 1 color, so I am not complaining. Maybe you are just spoiled rotten, even more-so than me (and that is REALLY saying a lot.).

$170 isn't that much, not compared to the custom TKL boards that everyone seems to love on here.
the issue isn't that is' only 7 colours per LED, the issue is that they advertise 16 million colours.

The custom TKL keyboards everyone love has CNC's aluminium cases (for the most part) which is a large part of their price.

And you think you'd be able to buy some truth in advertising or ethics for $170, but who can say what those things are worth. Perhaps they are priceless.

At least my DIY option I know what's in it and how it works.

About the Deck keyboards, I suspect the issue has to do with the light dispersion in the plastic of the backlit keycap. It's hard to spread out a lot of light from one point source. I think solving this issue on any backlit keyboard would involve some challenge.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you got an acceptable outcome.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:08:00 »

possibly the most shill post i have ever read on this site.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:30:14 »
Subjective.

Notice how you just bring it right back to the new logo, when I mentioned to get the old logo board -- the Vengeance.

Hate on corsair for their logo change, but don't disregard good products because of your own personal bias or opinion.

Software works fine for me, that was the old software before the recent updates, again, do your research instead of just hating to hate.

The logo is not a big deal. But it looks awful. But yes, why not get an older board for the same enormous price tag?

Corsair have never been a premium brand when it comes to peripherals, and yet they charge premium prices. The ducky shine 3 is $30 cheaper. Yes it doesn't have RGB LEDs, but It's build quality and LED quality is superior. I don't know a single person who would recommend Corsair over Ducky.

There is no way you can compare a Corsair board to a Korean custom. That's like comparing a Kia to an Aston Martin, or a Swatch with a Rolex.

One colour LEDs are fine, and so are seven, but advertising "16 million colours" and only providing seven, is not being spoiled. It is being lied to.

I saw the RGB a few weeks before release, and they were still using old software, which I wasn't able to film. This seemed to work well. Then when it was released, people were complaining of the software. You say it was fine after an update. For $170 I would expect them do have done a bit more then release something that was so buggy.

I have never and will never buy Corsair peripherals if they are going to continue being to the same standard of the RGB. Ducky will get their hands on these switch housings in 3 months. Then it might be worth spending that kind of money on a board with these on.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:55:39 »
I went with it because I wanted doubleshot PBT caps (forgive me, tired if I wrote that wrong)...they feel good but it's just not making me happy right now.

The issue at hand is rooted in the caps. These are made by Vortex, there's no alternative if you want lit DS PBT (altho their latest generation of PBT shot w/ POM may be better.)

Deck has a very good reputation for build quality and customer support, feature-wise the Hassium is nothing to sneer at. I wouldn't touch Corsair boards w/ a 10 feet pole..
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:00:01 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:52:18 »

It was actually $179 and not on the free shipping at the time so it was over $200. It's wasn't just the money. It's was the 10% restocking fee, the 35$ to ship it back. Look, I know it's subjective, but everyone else's boards really look greater online. I tried different levels of lighting and all that, it just wasn't for me. Not hating just to hate. I was happy with the blue coloring. I think if one goes with a Deck the white legend might help things instead of struggling through the darker blue. It's just that I actually need to see the letters correctly and I couldn't. And Decks customer service kind of made me feel like they didn't care so I didn't bother to try to RMA it. They would have just told me that's how it is, likely, while online the keys aren't PERFECTLY backlit but nowhwere near what this was on brightest in a dark dark room.

The board itself? Easy to program and omg was it  heavy. And the keycaps felt wonderful.

To answer why I got Deck, it came recommended on here Deck or Ducky, mostly ducky. Unfortunately I remap keys and I heard the Duckys aren't programmable like that (every key). Only reason I didn't go with one.

I know you're all gonna hate me, but I went out to the store and am test-driving a Razer Ultimate RGB >< The one with the untested green switches. At least now I know I can't use reds (too many spelling mistakes)...

Thing is even on this board, they don't backlight everything. Why!? They didn't backlight the symbols, or half the symbols. I don't get company choices anymore.And mine is blank in the corner where on the box it shows the macro buttons and stuff.  O.o
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:58:20 by noideawhatimdoing »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 03:40:09 »
Thing is even on this board, they don't backlight everything. Why!? They didn't backlight the symbols, or half the symbols. I don't get company choices anymore.And mine is blank in the corner where on the box it shows the macro buttons and stuff.  O.o

Even in pictures, you can see the Z looks more like a 7 because of the terribad font that is used...I don't quite understand the whole "need to see the letters clearly" .  Surely you must know where the keys are and even if you have to look at the keyboard, it is must certainly only be for a guide...

My interpretation:  Nothing wrong w/ the keyboard..it is how it is...I would strongly suggest the RGB switches for you though as that will be lighting up the whole switch and not just a single LED that is on one side of the stem or the other.  I would also suggest a more standard simple font with painted keys...

If you really want PBT, there were those PBT/POM DS ones that were cheap..but the font placement was funny...although the font was decent and easily readable...