Author Topic: Worth spending over $100 on a keycap set?  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Jixr

Worth spending over $100 on a keycap set?
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:26:52 »
Hi everyone, so I don't know too much about keycaps and the different profiles and things, but I've found a set that I love.

Originative Classic Beige set.

The thing is, its $130 before shipping, and it does not come with a spacebar.

The keyboard I want to put these one is a Korean Duck Mini, which supports 7x spacebars and the single unit Win Key, but that space bar is extra money on top of the set ( and I don't know where to find a 7x spacebar by itself ) I can use the off centered caps lock, so thats fine.
( though I do have a regular white spacebar and a vortex PBT mod set I can use with the keyboard that I don't mind mixing with this set )

I love the keycaps that have the pointed edges, like the retro beige/white combo, and the blue legends is perfect to me.

Does anyone know of any classic retro looking sets that have the pointed edges that may be a bit cheaper?

I also never bought anything other than OEM profile, so I'm not 100% sure I'll like these which is a tough swallow for $130+shipping

Right Now I use a vortex double shot set on my DD, and I like it, but the quality isn't super nice, and a few of the keycaps have manufacturing irregularities.

I did get in on the Tai-Ho group buy of the olivette set which is simialr looking, but obviously thin ABS keycap, and not Thick PBT dyesub.

So what do you guys think about spending a keyboards worth of money on just a keycap set?

my DD
Keyset I want

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Worth spending over $100 on a keycap set?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:34:57 »
Those BSP dye-subs are the nicest feeling PBT i've ever tried, the surface on them is so smooth.  It has made try and track down a set of OG cherry dye-subs since a lot of people have said they feel even nicer.

I don't know of any other sets besides those Leopold PBT caps, and imsto sets that have the pointy edges you're looking for, and both of those sets are for more traditional layouts. If you do decide to go for the BSP set, I can help you find a good spacebar from signature plastics that matches the set pretty well.  One thing to note before you purchase, BSP QC is not the greatest, and you'll likely get caps that appear to be crooked once mounted on the keyboard, if this is something that will bother you, I would really recommend holding off since it's very noticeable in some areas.  It kinda bothered me at first, but I learned to live with it due to how much I loved how the caps actually felt to type on.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:37:55 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Jixr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:39:45 »
thats good to know.

My vortex set, while straght, has lots of little imperfections,which on a $75 set, bothers me, and I want a close to perfect set if I'm paying nearly $150 for a set.

I have a novelty keycap that is the pointy edge thick pbt, and its super nice.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:44:56 »
thats good to know.

My vortex set, while straght, has lots of little imperfections,which on a $75 set, bothers me, and I want a close to perfect set if I'm paying nearly $150 for a set.

I have a novelty keycap that is the pointy edge thick pbt, and its super nice.
Here's an example of what I mean.  It's more subtle in some areas than others.

photo credit:mrdar206

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:47:47 »
You should also be careful ordering from originative, they have had major order fulfillment issues in the past.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 15:59:55 »
I think I would be okay with the tilty ness, since my case its going in is a low profile TEX case, so there isn't anything straight next to it to compare it to.

Is there another online vendor who has the same or a similar set?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:05:50 »
Imsto is running a group buy for BSP sets in his subforum, I don't think it closes until mid-november though, but that might be okay if it's for the Octagon since that hasn't even started yet and probably won't ship for a few months.  Imsto is offering some interesting sets including Cyrillic, Desko, and Peacock replica legends.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:10:55 »
Oh.... that Imsto Desko replica set is even closer to what I'm wanting.

Thanks for bringing that up, I'll def. look into that GB.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:30:07 »
Well, with most keysets you're going to be spending near that amount anyway, and the set in question is one of the best out there in terms of feel and looks (I think).
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:30:27 »
Well, with most keysets you're going to be spending near that amount anyway, and the set in question is one of the best out there in terms of feel and looks (at least I think).
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Jixr

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:33:56 »
yeah, I also see that the leopold keycaps are very similar and cheaper.

I may just buy a gray leopold with the caps, and buy a set of the white caps and mix them together, and I get a keyboard out of the deal.

I'll have to do some research.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:43:12 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:26:34 by esoomenona »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:51:39 »
not really, but I'm not that big of a fan of Signature Plastic keycaps, they look pretty, but for the price of a custom set, having ABS is kinda sucky. So if they are anything like that, then I'm not interested.

Happen to have a link to a set like you describe?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:54:50 »
for GMK, BSP, and other ULTRA high end sets (OG Olivetti, OG dolch) yes (though you can def get GMK for under 100). Anything else, I don't like to spend more than $90 on.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:15:30 »
but for the price of a custom set, having ABS is kinda sucky
it really depends. many people prefer the smooth surface of ABS over PBT if they're of comparable thickness. GMK is generally regarded as the highest quality caps manufacturer, followed by BSP PBT and Imsto's PBT sets. SP sets are the lowest quality in comparison, but they're still a lot nicer than most stock keycaps, or filmsy stuff like WASD caps. to answer your original question, i think only GMK and those two two PBT sets can command a 3 digit figure (no clue about vintage stuff like Cherry WoB)

also, this is a more color correct version of the classic beige set sold by Originative:

(credits to Friskywhisker)
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:17:48 by whentheclouds »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:47:43 »
that pic is wanting to make me buy the originative set even more.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:30:14 »
btw, the blue Enter and ESC are not part of the set but sold separately on EK. and Originative has a reputation of not fulfilling previous orders (some people here still haven't gotten their stuff despite ordering since last year, but their inquiries go unanswered). but since Sherry's return from his absence, there hasn't been any new drama that i know of

edit: there is one GMK groupbuy running, and there are multiple (the biggest influx of GMK sets i've seen to date) planned in the near future. you can look around the forums for these topics if you're interested
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:37:05 by whentheclouds »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:56:14 »
yeah, I emailed Originatve today to make sure they had the set in stock, and they replied very quickly, so that was nice.
I'll think about picking up that set, and if I like it i'll join in on one of the other group buys later on.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 22:39:44 »
I will say that's pretty cheap and lame they don't include a spacebar, especially for that price. In fact **** them, that's bull****. Now I'm mad about it  >:D

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 22:42:56 »
Totally worth it. I have GMK sets on all my boards and they're the best looking and feeling caps I've ever used. Already got 4 full sets and I'll be ordering more when other GB's pop up.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 23:11:53 »
You only really need to start worrying when you are trying to decide whether to pay more than $100 for a single keycap :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:49:23 »
Spending $100 on a set is pretty easy.  My Toxic order was almost $300 including Bros and tip.  My first purchase on the forums was the Ti novelty key in my profile pic.  That was $70 shipped.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 00:55:49 »
The opposite end of the scale is something like Tai Hao.  Not quite up to GMK/BSP standard, but quite respectable for the $12 or so that a full set costs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 02:20:41 »
those seem like a fantastic value proposition, i just can't get over the godawful Arial or whatever font that's used for the legends

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:10:46 »
Hunt for used, it's quite possible to pick up old Cherry G80/G81 keyboards with nice doubleshot or even dyesub for very cheap, especially if you don't mind having sets in German.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:16:58 »
Hunt for used, it's quite possible to pick up old Cherry G80/G81 keyboards with nice doubleshot or even dyesub for very cheap, especially if you don't mind having sets in German.

Getting relatively cheap Cherry doubleshot sets in ISO DE is really easy, but I have never been lucky to score Cherry dyesubs :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:28:14 »
I see SAD boards on German ebay pretty often, most usually the cheap ones are the Highscreen branded 3081. I've seen some go for as little as 5EUR. Also if you don't mind getting only useable alphas you can always grab one of those old TA typewriters which also can be had for cheap.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:30:52 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:32:04 »
I see SAD boards on German ebay pretty often, most usually the cheap ones are the Highscreen branded 3081. I've seen some go for as little as 5EUR.

Thanks for the tip  :thumb:

The auctions that have SAD in the title usually end with pretty high prices.

I guess I should spend more time to look for keybards with bad descriptions ;)

Edit:  Yeah, I already have 2 of those typewriter sets - they are pretty nice.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:37:18 »
Indeed, finding those listings that have terrible descriptions of listed in wrong sections, with misspelled models and so on is how I get most of my good deals.  ;)

Offline Jixr

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:55:13 »
I don't know enough about old boards and typewriters to know what to buy and what to stay away from.

I also really like the gray/white/blue comobo of the set above.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:32:44 »
I don't know enough about old boards and typewriters to know what to buy and what to stay away from.

I also really like the gray/white/blue comobo of the set above.

just get the olivetti set then

it's got a bunch of incorrect legends and stuff, but i love mine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline just1n

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 03:33:02 »
Why not? If you like