Author Topic: Why were model Ms only 2kro?  (Read 4310 times)

Offline supamesican

Why were model Ms only 2kro?
« on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:16:42 »
Model Fs were nkro, as are most mechanical keyboards today, I know model ms were made as a cost cutting measure but still I don't understand why they are/were only 2kro but most other mechanical keyboards are nkro.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Why were model Ms only 2kro?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:31:27 »
Because underneath the buckling springs and plastic hammers, there are membranes just like on most rubber-dome keyboards.
Each hammer press the membranes together underneath it when its spring buckles, closing a circuit.

The Model F have capacitative hammers over a slightly bendy circuit board, and the n-key rollover comes for free when using capacitative sensing. It is difficult to solder diodes to membranes, and for most office use you don't really need n-key rollover.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:51:39 »
Yeah. F > M. Though M were great boards, even modern Unicomp USB-interfaced boards only 2KRO.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline supamesican

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:54:57 »
I know 2kro doesn't matter for office work, heck even for most games I've played 2kro doesn't seem like it would matter much. Probably because most people have rubber dome, and devs account for that. Kinda sucks thats something they cut out, but eh I can see why. I guess thats why we have topre and cherry mx switches for alternatives.   

Wonder if it would be possible to use a usb hub on the usb to get around the 2kro, like some companies do to get passed the 6kro limit usb has built in, or theres anything unicomp could do to get more than 2kro..

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:07:09 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 09:55:06 by esoomenona »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:24:11 »
I know 2kro doesn't matter for office work, heck even for most games I've played 2kro doesn't seem like it would matter much. Probably because most people have rubber dome, and devs account for that. Kinda sucks thats something they cut out, but eh I can see why. I guess thats why we have topre and cherry mx switches for alternatives.   

Wonder if it would be possible to use a usb hub on the usb to get around the 2kro, like some companies do to get passed the 6kro limit usb has built in, or theres anything unicomp could do to get more than 2kro..

there's a few things that affect the KRO of a keyboard. IF the keyboard matrix supports NKRO but the protocol doesn't then you end up with 6KRO (usually). So even if they did some of the tricks to get around the 6kro limit for USB, they cant get around the limit of the keybaord matrix hardware.

Now I have thought up a way to make a model M membrane NKRO with a pile of diodes and three or four 30-pin connectors and some custom membranes, but this relies on getting some custom membranes made.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:24:21 »
They'd have to stop making the keyboard in its current state and redesign something completely different. I don't think there is any other way around it.

Or just start producing Model F ones. Hell, model F already almost re-created by community.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Vizir

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:41:14 »

[...] Hell, model F already almost re-created by community.

really? got any info/link?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:47:23 »

[...] Hell, model F already almost re-created by community.

really? got any info/link?

Here you are.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51767.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:02:08 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:49:33 »
Now I have thought up a way to make a model M membrane NKRO with a pile of diodes and three or four 30-pin connectors and some custom membranes, but this relies on getting some custom membranes made.
I have thought of the same thing. I think that the bottom membrane could be replaced with a semi-flexible PCB with surface-mounted diodes, but then there need also be holes in the back plate and/or membranes to accommodate those diodes. The entire keyboard assembly would also be thicker.

Or just start producing Model F ones. Hell, model F already almost re-created by community.
That was changing the layout for Model F using existing Model F parts. I doubt that tooling would exist for making new capacitative hammers.
The thing with Model M is that Unicomp still makes them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:53:21 »
Because underneath the buckling springs and plastic hammers, there are membranes just like on most rubber-dome keyboards.
Each hammer press the membranes together underneath it when its spring buckles, closing a circuit.

The Model F have capacitative hammers over a slightly bendy circuit board, and the n-key rollover comes for free when using capacitative sensing. It is difficult to solder diodes to membranes, and for most office use you don't really need n-key rollover.

Ahhhhhhhhh. This gives me a lot more understanding of BS boards :)

+1 quality post
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:06:57 »
I have thought of the same thing. I think that the bottom membrane could be replaced with a semi-flexible PCB with surface-mounted diodes, but then there need also be holes in the back plate and/or membranes to accommodate those diodes. The entire keyboard assembly would also be thicker.

That was changing the layout for Model F using existing Model F parts. I doubt that tooling would exist for making new capacitative hammers.

So I thought of that as well, but I have my suspicions that the copper will delaminate from the PCB, so my current idea is to use only matricies and solder the connectors onto a controller PCB with all the diodes and the entire matrix on it.

SMD diodes will actually fit under the channels that seat the hammers, I believe.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:17:17 »

The are nothing exactly "magic" about capacitive hammers. We were discussing issue of hammets there... It's just conductive plastic, and I'm pretty sure it could be printed on the one of more high-grade 3d-printers.

Case/barrels is more of issue... but I was thinking about some acrylic for case...

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:38:50 »

The are nothing exactly "magic" about capacitive hammers. We were discussing issue of hammets there... It's just conductive plastic, and I'm pretty sure it could be printed on the one of more high-grade 3d-printers.

Case/barrels is more of issue... but I was thinking about some acrylic for case...

I was thinking a normal-non conductive plastic flip plate with a conductive strip on it could work well, but would likely require more labour to produce.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:51:04 »
Does it need to be metallic? When I was looking at some info on capacitance, all materials have a different dielectric constant (value that determine if it's easy to detect or not with capacitance). But plastic is hard to detect because it's low. But if we found a mix that was easier to detect (or have a plastic mixed with something else) OR have a very precise sensor then it could still work.

I don't have much knowledge on this, just a few articles on the net I *tried* to understand.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mougrim

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 14:55:21 »

I was thinking a normal-non conductive plastic flip plate with a conductive strip on it could work well, but would likely require more labour to produce.

Maybe, but we will need F flip plates anyway, so I think it better to produce it from conductive plastic. Besides, it'll last longer than conductive strip... Of course if conductive plastic not expensive - but it's basically just plastic with graphite mixed in it.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:00:06 »
Does it need to be metallic? When I was looking at some info on capacitance, all materials have a different dielectric constant (value that determine if it's easy to detect or not with capacitance). But plastic is hard to detect because it's low. But if we found a mix that was easier to detect (or have a plastic mixed with something else) OR have a very precise sensor then it could still work.

I don't have much knowledge on this, just a few articles on the net I *tried* to understand.

Nah, in model F it ain't matal. Just plactic mixed with something conductive. I'd say graphite. It's cheap.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:05:05 »

Nah, in model F it ain't matal. Just plactic mixed with something conductive. I'd say graphite. It's cheap.

Some sort of carbon for sure.

It doesn't have to be metallic but it does have to move electrons. The more the better (easier to detect).

Someone earlier said about 3D printing the flip plates. There are some issues with that method. One is that I'm not aware of much choice for extruded metallic plastic (and there  may be issues with conductivity of it. The other is the issue with all 3D printed stuff: will it be precise enough to actually work. Last I checked, 3D printed F flip plates exist but the tolerances from shapeways is not good enough for them to buckle correctly.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:11:36 »
I'm experimenting with thin aluminium tape on an M hammer plate (it can be shaped nicely over the contours and won't oxidise like exposed copper can) and shellac coated copper tape pads (the shellac protects them from oxidising and works nicely as a very thin dielectric layer) connected with magnet wire to the controller (small surface area to prevent parasitic / stary capacitance). Haven't got very far yet, though. Planning to use something similar to xwhatsit's method of detecting presses, including calibration.

The M hammer plates have a lot less surface area than the F ones, but I think they should work well enough.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:13:06 »

It doesn't have to be metallic but it does have to move electrons. The more the better (easier to detect).

Someone earlier said about 3D printing the flip plates. There are some issues with that method. One is that I'm not aware of much choice for extruded metallic plastic (and there  may be issues with conductivity of it. The other is the issue with all 3D printed stuff: will it be precise enough to actually work. Last I checked, 3D printed F flip plates exist but the tolerances from shapeways is not good enough for them to buckle correctly.

It sure exists... Like this one: http://www.makergeeks.com/coabs3dfi10.html

About tolerances... Hmm, this calls for some research. Maybe those flip plates were printed on home-grade printers?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:24:12 »
Freaking...  Because people back then did WORK on computers..  they didn't just sit around playing video games..

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:12:24 »
If we can't get capacitive pivot plates / flippies / hammers printed, what about this idea : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57879.0
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:17:45 »
If we can't get capacitive pivot plates / flippies / hammers printed, what about this idea : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57879.0

1) Probably will be expensive as hell.
2) Why?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:17:59 »

1) Probably will be expensive as hell.
2) Why?

Offline supamesican

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:30:23 »

It sure exists... Like this one: http://www.makergeeks.com/coabs3dfi10.html

About tolerances... Hmm, this calls for some research. Maybe those flip plates were printed on home-grade printers?

That is really interesting, that very well could be exactly what is needed.