Author Topic: Possible to like Cherry Blues AND Topre side by side?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Wonko73

Possible to like Cherry Blues AND Topre side by side?
« on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:09:30 »
Hi,

I got two Keyboards for my machines: A Filco minila air (blue) for my Macbook Air and a Filco TKL Ninja (blue) for my Linux machine.

Last days a read a lot of threads here, because I was searching for PBT keycaps for the Filco TKL. (-> I ordered some blank blue and grey Ducky caps now and they should arrive next week).

Reading a lot of postings I found, that often Topre boards are ment to be "the holy gral" of keyboards, especially the HHKB 2 and the Realforce keyboards.

Well - I thought about getting another keyboard, that might replace the Filco Minila Air. The Filco is great, but  somehow I don't like the idea, that I will never find fitting PBT keycaps for this very special layout.

Now my Question:

I like mechanical keyboards and cherry mx blue switches. I don't like the artifical feeling of cheep rubberdome keyboards (... I have to use such a crappy thing at work). On the other hand I like the feeling of the older Thinkpad-Boards, which have a kind of rubberdome.

Do you think, people who like blue cherry switches "can" like topre switches, too? Should I risk to order such a keyboard? There won't be a reseller in Germany for me, so it'll be quite hard to give it back if should not like it...
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:15:23 by Wonko73 »
Filco TKL MX Blue | Filco TKP brown | HHKB2 Type S | Realforce 23U

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: Possible to like Cherry Blues AND Topre side by side?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:25:07 »
Nova touch has topre switches with mx sliders, which means you can put whatever mx keycaps you want on a topre board.

Offline Veridis

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:45:11 »
Do you think, people who like blue cherry switches "can" like topre switches, too? Should I risk to order such a keyboard? There won't be a reseller in Germany for me, so it'll be quite hard to give it back if should not like it...

There is no reason that someone who likes any MX switch cannot like Topre.. They are too different to be compared IMHO. The only way to know is to use one for a few weeks.
If you don't like it after a few months, sell it off and take the small loss as a learning experience.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 04:54:02 »
There is no reason that someone who likes any MX switch cannot like Topre.. They are too different to be compared IMHO. The only way to know is to use one for a few weeks.
If you don't like it after a few months, sell it off and take the small loss as a learning experience.

Very much this.  This hobby is subjective as all hell.  Take all of the opinions you read here as just that.  Opinions.  They're not the end all answer for every member.  Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to bite that bullet and order a board with certain switches to really figure out if you'll like it or not.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 05:26:45 »
My favorite Cherry MX switches are Browns and Reds, but I prefer Topre over them. For a while I used my MX Filco at work and a Realforce at home and had no issues going back and forth between them.

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 06:39:44 »
If it means anything to you, I'm a Topre user and my favorite Cherry switch is MX blue.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 08:18:05 »
Really no way to know unless you try it. There are plenty of people here who like both topre and MX. And don't belive the topre propaganda, MX is the true master race :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 08:22:08 »
I don't think it's really a thing where all the topre users hate cherry, they just prefer topre.  I would say that's probably true of those who prefer cherry to topre as well.  Things usually aren't so binary.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 08:30:47 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 09:21:50 by esoomenona »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:37:38 »
I like Topre (HHKB), buckling spring (Model M) and various MX (mainly black and green) equally.

At least I rotate them out regularly, and don't experience feelings of loss when I switch from one to another.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:40:54 »
i'm a hardcore mx blue lover at home and both clears and topre are my switches of choice for the office

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 16:37:55 »
You can like several, and often quiet different, things at the same time. I like blue a lot (coming from my love for buckling spring) and use a topre at home.
Just try it.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 16:41:56 »
I like 45g/55g Topre and MX Blues, so yes, it's very possible. I also like ergo clears, linears and capacative buckling springs.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline jameslr

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 16:46:30 »
Buy all the keyboards and try them all! I love topre and mx both. I prefer topre to mx though. Favorite mx switch is clear. Current daily driver is my novatouch. My filco is modded with stock clears.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:55:37 »
I know a few people who can adjust from Blues to topre pretty fast and own various boards with various switches
I myself is a clicky guy and can never understand or get into the tactile,liner or topre world
so it's the matter of personal preference . You might wanna give it a try first if possible (although judging from your post it's not possible :( )
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline soleusrex

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:59:42 »
I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone who played games preferred Topre exclusively. Obviously you can make Topre gaming work if you really want to--you can game with any keyboard, that's not saying much. But Topre switches strike me as so obviously sub-optimal for gaming that, when I find people who use only Topre, I assume they're just interested in text. At any rate, for me it's Topre for work, MX Blue for play.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 03:50:19 »
What about me? I dislike mx blues and topre side by side so.... yea hehe. Since it's possible to dislike them both side by side I'm sure there's someone (and that may be you!) who likes them both side by side.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 07:52:44 »
Feelings about MX blue and Topre switches are entirely orthogonal: personally I don’t like either of them!

(By the way, don’t try e.g. a Model F, a beam spring board, an SMK “monterey” blue board, or a clicky Alps board, or you might never be able to go back to MX blue.)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 11:25:28 »
Tastes can vary. They can be all-encompassing or highly selective, and they can change over time.

It's possible to like fast food sometimes and at other times to prefer haute cuisine.

In my own case, I started with a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Ninja with mx blues. Then I discovered the IBM Model M. Later I was charmed by an IBM SSK. More recently, I realized I much preferred IBM Model F capacitive buckling spring switches, and so I bought an XT on eBay and converted it to USB with Soarer's converter.

Currently, my favorites are Topre switches. I have a HHKB Pro 2, which I like for its 60% form factor and great layout; I also have a RF 87ub 55g, which I like for the overall build quality, superb sound and feel of the 55g Topre switches, and beautiful dye-sub PBT keycaps (I have replaced the dark gray alpha and number caps with black on light blue).

Now I rotate among my two Topre-switch boards and my IBM Model F XT. These are very different switches, but each is excellent in its own way.

Earlier I was trying to find a Cherry mx-switch keyboard that I liked. After trying blues, browns, vintage blacks, greens, and clears, I have just about decided that I just don't like Cherry switches of any kind. However, I have not yet tried reds, and I might try one more board before giving up on Cherry switches.

BTW, at various times I tried a variety of other switches and found some that I liked better than Cherry but not as much as IBM capacitive buckling spring or Topre. These included NMB Hi-Tek black and white "space invaders", Monterey blue Alps, orange Alps, and Matias tactile/clicky Alps-inspired switches.

There's certainly more to keyboards than blue Cherries, but you might discover that after trying them all you prefer the boards you started with. Only you can decide.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 11:41:11 »
Have an MX Blue QFR and a 55g Topre right next to each other. No complaints/problems here!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Wonko73

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 03:45:25 »
Thank you very much for all the answers. Well - and I tink "no risk no fun": Yesterday I placed my order:

Soon I will be a prowd owner of a Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Pro Type S (ordered at Elitekeyboards).

Now there is the next question: Where to get cool Keycaps for it? :D
Filco TKL MX Blue | Filco TKP brown | HHKB2 Type S | Realforce 23U

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 04:11:15 »
Good luck. AFAIK different colored keycaps are no longer produced. Even just the red/blue Ctrl+ESC event set goes for a pretty heafty price.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 10:27:55 »
Thank you very much for all the answers. Well - and I tink "no risk no fun": Yesterday I placed my order:

Soon I will be a prowd owner of a Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Pro Type S (ordered at Elitekeyboards).

As you probably know from looking at the EK site, you can get four types of keycap sets for the HHKB: black/white unprinted and black/white printed. In addition, sets for the Realforce 87u/104u will fit many of the keys on the HHKB Pro 2. The RF sets are still being produced by Topre in Japan under contract to Leopold in Korea, and these are being resold on eBay.

The stock dye-sub PBT keycaps on the HHKB Pro 2 and RF boards are so nice they are fine as they are. Nevertheless, in my case, I have a black HHKB Pro 2 with white alphanumeric keycaps and black modifiers. On my RF 87ub, I have replaced the black alphanumeric and arrow keys with blue keycaps and black legends, leaving all the other keys black.

Offline MahBoi

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 08:41:49 »

That seems to be the GeekHack motto, at least for people like me who are constantly buying keyboards!

To answer the thread topic, my first and second keyboards were a Filco with blues and a HHKB, respectively. Since then, I've tried dozens of other switches. Some I disliked, but most I really enjoyed. Even still, I love coming back to the Cherry MX Blues and the Topres. They're still two of my favorite keyswitches today.

For me, variety is the spice of life.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 18:03:29 »
For the sake of variety, today's mail brought my new Kul ES-87 with Cherry mx reds. I put a set of thick dye-sub PBT caps on it along with Buna 50A-R O-rings and then spent the afternoon typing on it. After a few hours, I switched back to my RF 87ub with 55g Topres. What a difference! (In favor of the RF, by a wide margin).

Now that I've tried mx reds, the only Cherry mx switches left for me to try are contemporary mx blacks (I've tried vintage blacks and I liked them a bit, but not enough to give them serious attention).

The Kul will probably be going up for sale soon, along with several sets of Cherry mx keycaps.

So, it appears I am not one of those who can like Cherry blues (or any other Cherry mx switch) alongside my Topre-switch boards.

However, I can and do like my IBM buckling springs (Model F more than Model M) side by side with my Topre-switch boards (HHKB Pro 2, RF 87ub 45g, and RF 87ub 55g).

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 20:41:33 »
I alternate between Topre and MX constantly and love them both the same.
null