Author Topic: sound of blue switch...  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Keyboardnoobb

sound of blue switch...
« on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:48:15 »
I've been trying out different keyboards and switches, and I swear that it felt the first time I tried a brown, it was a red. I don't mean offend anyone who likes browns, but for those who like blues, does it feel like the sound actually helps you feel the bump more? It might sound weird, but I feel the blues way more when typing, but I kind of covered up my ears and they felt the same. Note that I am a pretty hard typer.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: sound of blue switch...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:56:01 »
I've typed on browns before and I type on blues pretty much everyday. For the browns, I barley noticed a bump at all. The blues have a much more pronounced bump than I recall with the browns. At the time I was using a fairly old, and pretty well used board, so there was some wear there for sure which may have made them seem even more linear than normal.

I do suppose the 'click' can help your brain realize that the bump is happening, causing it to be more pronounced than if it were silent. In my case I like to wear IEMs that block out a lot of the noise around me (not because of my keyboard, just people being distracting). I don't always hear the 'click', but I do always feel the bump.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:58:43 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 13:50:01 by esoomenona »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 12:03:29 »
Blue feels like you're snapping a small twig every keystroke, because of the auditory feedback..

Put the keyboard under a pillow, and cover the whole thing with thick comforters..

They feel very similar to browns..  and somewhat Gritty as well,

but with the sound, they feel crispy, like cookies..

I've gotten over the whole switch feel, just don't care anymore, and have stuck with ghetto reds, coming from ergo clears.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 16:37:06 »
While it's certainly not everything, I think the sound of the click might help you recognize the bump more, like how scent affects taste, and how can you not love that click :D
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline remdell

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:30:00 »
After going on a clicky Alps keyboard phase, I barely noticed the bump on MX browns.  However, I felt the bump much more after using Topre and lubed linear switches.  I personally find the audible clickiness of blue a bit annoying, but I do think the bump is more pronounced than browns.  It may be because the key weight is heavier on blues than on browns.  I recently got my hands on the WASD Code with clears, and the bump is so obvious... you can't miss it.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:12:41 »
While it's certainly not everything, I think the sound of the click might help you recognize the bump more, like how scent affects taste, and how can you not love that click :D

I don't love that click because to my ears it sounds really high pitch, plasticky and "cheap". Like a small piece of plastic hitting another small piece of plastic. Oh wait, that's exactly what it is :)

I'm not offended that you think Browns feel like linears, it's just an indicator of the way you press keys, ie hard.

I find Browns quite tactile, very similar in feel to Blues, but I have a light touch when typing, so that is a factor. I prefer Browns to Blues. Blues do accentuate the tactile point with both audible feedback and the extra little hit you feel through the cap from the slider piece hitting the case (although this one is very subtle), so for many they do appear to be more tactile than Browns, although the tactile bump on the slider is very similar. It starts earlier, too, which can be a factor. By the time you get to the bump on Browns the slider already has some momentum which if you're typing hard or fast will be significant and will reduce the effect and feel of the bump. On Blues the bump starts almost immediately and then there is a sharper drop in force due to the white part of the slider moving away from the blue part under the force of the leaf spring, so you no longer have the friction of the legs on the leaf spring.

IMHO, they have a similar level of pure tactility, but the tactility is different and is affected by typing speed and pressure differently.

ErgoClears are still my favourite :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:15:53 »
Even jail house blues should feel more tactile than browns as the physical bump on the slider leg is larger on the blue than on the brown.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:05:34 »
Even jail house blues should feel more tactile than browns as the physical bump on the slider leg is larger on the blue than on the brown.

No, it's not. It may have a slightly sharper start angle and starts earlier, but it's not bigger:

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Cherry_MX

Seems I can't link to a GH wiki image for some reason... anyway, the pics of the sliders are there so you can compare.

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:03:26 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:14:52 »
If you type on browns for a long time and then move to reds, you will notice that the bump is gone. It is one of those things that is pretty subtle, and you may not be constantly aware that it is there, but it does affect the way the switch feels. If you try both side by side for the first time, you will appreciate the difference between browns and reds much less.

The blues have a more pronounced tactile feedback and a higher actuation force than the browns, so you should feel them more regardless of the sound.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:30:51 »
Blue feels like you're snapping a small twig every keystroke, because of the auditory feedback..

Put the keyboard under a pillow, and cover the whole thing with thick comforters..

I bet you were working on your forearms while typing eh? You want some bulging brachioradiali  ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:38:37 »

I bet you were working on your forearms while typing eh? You want some bulging brachioradiali  ;D

I rarely do forearm workouts..   I need what's left of my wrists..   piano, painting, calligraphy, all very taxing on the wrist.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:35:33 »

No, it's not. It may have a slightly sharper start angle and starts earlier, but it's not bigger:

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Cherry_MX

Seems I can't link to a GH wiki image for some reason... anyway, the pics of the sliders are there so you can compare.

I stand corrected.  I got out my calipers and measured some stems.  The bump on blues and browns from the back of the stem measured to .251" +/-~.0002"  Clears were all .254" from the bump to the back of the stem.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Veridis

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 23:35:32 »
Blues don't just make clicky sounds, the click also sends feedback to your fingers through touch.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)