Author Topic: Which is better for coding? Green Or Blue Switches?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline dman777

Which is better for coding? Green Or Blue Switches?
« on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:21:00 »
I love clicky switches when I program. I was wondering, amongst coders....which would be preferred between the two, green switches or blue?

Offline saturnotaku

Re: Which is better for coding? Green Or Blue Switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:28:03 »
Whichever ones you like better.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:35:24 »
it's a personal preference. some like the heavier greens, while others get tired when typing on the heavier and prefer the lighter blues.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:04:42 »
It's a preference thing, although unless you have some strong fingers, blue are probably gonna be what you choose
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline phx

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:05:25 »
blues, personal preference.

greens are too heavy for me.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:24:45 »
They are the same except the Greens have a stronger spring. The springs in Greens are similar to the spring used in MX Black switches. If you have used a board with black switches and found it nice, but just thought it was missing that clickiness, then you'd probably like Greens.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:26:20 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline dman777

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:51:10 »
I have a Blue switch Ducky, which I like. I tried my co-workers green switch keyboard and I like it alot. But, I have nerve pains in my hands and sometimes my ducky will feel uncomfortable. Would the greens be a bad choice?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:54:54 »
exchange keyboard for a week and see how it goes ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Battou62

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:47:09 »
Linears :P

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 13:55:05 »
I thought I liked heavy and bought some MX clears to replace my MX reds.. but they turned out to be more tiring than I expected.. the MX greens are even heavier actuation.  I think the blues are pretty good tactile.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 14:57:32 »
I have a Blue switch Ducky, which I like. I tried my co-workers green switch keyboard and I like it alot. But, I have nerve pains in my hands and sometimes my ducky will feel uncomfortable. Would the greens be a bad choice?

That depends on if it is the force required to actuate or bottoming out that is causing the issue.

Is it is from the force, then you would probably be better with blues.

If it is the harshness of bottom I g out the switches then you would probably benefit the most from clear springs and/or o-rings.

I personally find clears easier to not bottom out on than grey springs due to the steeper force curve.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 17:25:23 »
I thought I liked heavy and bought some MX clears to replace my MX reds.. but they turned out to be more tiring than I expected.. the MX greens are even heavier actuation.  I think the blues are pretty good tactile.
Or your fingers actually became weaker, while you were using reds...? I've been there and still have to exercise to keep my hands capable of typing on stiffer switches, but it's been well worth it.

Offline osman99

• follow the smoke to the riff filled land
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:42:18 »
I like my greens with 62g springs that I got from the gb. Makes Java coding bareable

Offline dman777

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:45:44 »

That depends on if it is the force required to actuate or bottoming out that is causing the issue.

If it is the harshness of bottom I g out the switches then you would probably benefit the most from clear springs and/or o-rings.

I personally find clears easier to not bottom out on than grey springs due to the steeper force curve.

Ya, it feels like the bottoming out is what is doing it. It would be nice if the clicking was sooner also with less travel. I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of placing o rings on all the keys.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:47:21 »

Ya, it feels like the bottoming out is what is doing it. It would be nice if the clicking was sooner also with less travel. I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of placing o rings on all the keys.

Have you tried buckling springs?  If you don't care to try those I would suggest clear springs with your switches.  I also find it easiest to not bottom with linear stems. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 21:36:41 »
As said, it comes down to preference, and how strong your fingers are.  I find that switch preference goes in phases, what you like now may change when you try a different switch.  I've been through (listing Cherry only, in order): browns, clears, reds, blues, greens.

I loved my greens for everything (felt more solid than blues, less toy-ish in my opinion), but busted out my TKL brown board just to have nav/arrow keys for an Arduino project and they're so light I typo a lot.  I'm getting used to the light switches again though, ghost typing this post on my Poker with greens took some effort (only some but noticeable, I'm a mechanic by day).  I bring out my Alps boards at tax time because I need that extra enjoyment to balance out the process, lol.

It's hard to tell someone which switch to get.  For long coding sessions I might suggest blues, if your fingers aren't super strong then the reduced effort will help over time.  If you want a change later on, or want something more satisfying to hammer away at then get a board with greens.

The blessing/curse of this game is there's no one right answer. :)
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 21:54:55 »

I prefer greens - I prefer stiffer switches in general.  Blues are too light.

Also I bottom out all the time, on greens (which I am using now), blacks and even on buckling spring).

You can use O-rings to dampen the bottoming out, which might help.  They also reduce the total travel distance a bit.  Nothing will alter the time to actuate on blues or greens as the 2mm actuation point is part of the design.

Although I think I read somewhere that Kailh switches that mimic blues/green actuate 0.5mm higher up than blues/greens.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 06:25:00 »
Alps is the correct answer.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 09:58:13 »
I agree with Davkol. It sounds like you might like dampened ALPS like the Matias quiet switches.