Author Topic: Snapped Topre Stem  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
Snapped Topre Stem
« on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:58:14 »
So, I dun goofed pretty hard; didn't have a keycap puller with me, so I tried to pull of the Tab keycap on my HHKB with a pen, and half the stem cracked right off. It still goes in fine, wobbles a fair bit, but nothing crazy. Is it possible to glue the piece back on, by any chance?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Snapped Topre Stem
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:00:34 »
A picture would help the diagnosis tremendously.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:57:08 »
See, this is my fear even with a keycap puller when pulling the space bar! I usually took the left and right off the stabilizer, then use two hands to pull them off the middle switch but I still get nervous all the time!!!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:09:49 »
So, I dun goofed pretty hard; didn't have a keycap puller with me, so I tried to pull of the Tab keycap on my HHKB with a pen, and half the stem cracked right off. It still goes in fine, wobbles a fair bit, but nothing crazy. Is it possible to glue the piece back on, by any chance?

I should have a couple spare topre sliders once I swap with a novatouch (again) if it's too much of a problem.

You might be able to use some CA glue and an activator spray to repair that slider, too.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:19:40 »

I should have a couple spare topre sliders once I swap with a novatouch (again) if it's too much of a problem.

You might be able to use some CA glue and an activator spray to repair that slider, too.

Alrighty, thanks for that. I'll try and see how it goes!

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:39:59 »
See, this is my fear even with a keycap puller when pulling the space bar! I usually took the left and right off the stabilizer, then use two hands to pull them off the middle switch but I still get nervous all the time!!!

That shouldn't happen with the spacebar - the reason it shouldn't is because the Topre spacebar is ABS, while the other keycaps are PBT and much more brittle.

In fact, I think this may explain why we haven't seen a PBT spacebar for Topre...

I don't think it's the slider that's broken, it sounds like it's the stem on the keycap that has broken.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 12:45:11 »

Were you able to remove the broken stem from the slider? If so, you could use plastic cement (such as:http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC/) and then sand down any seams to make it flush.
RETIRED

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:22:42 »

Were you able to remove the broken stem from the slider? If so, you could use plastic cement (such as:http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC/) and then sand down any seams to make it flush.

I see, thanks for the advice. It actually popped out with the keycap, so I'll attempt to use some cement to put it back. Much appreciated!