Author Topic: Carvey: The 3D carving machine for the maker in all of us (Kickstarter)  (Read 1810 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/carvey/carvey-the-3d-carving-machine-for-the-maker-in-all?

Technical Specifications

Machine Footprint: 24" x 24" x 18” (61cm x 61cm x 46cm)

Work Area: 12” x 8” x 2.75” (30cm x 20cm x 7cm)

Resolution: .001” (.025mm)

Run out: .0006" (.01524mm)

Spindle RPM: 3000-12,000 (300W)

Weight Approx: 60 lbs. (27kg)

Materials it Can Cut: wood, soft metals, foam, plastics, circuit boards

Connectivity: USB Port

Computer System Requirements: Chrome web browser, 64 bit Mac or Windows, USB Port

FAQ

What size milling bits can I use with Carvey?

The collet options on the Carvey spindle allow for many sizes including 3/16”, 1/8” and 1/4” size milling bits.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:36 AM CDT
    What software do I need to design something to be made by Carvey?

We recommend trying out our new Easel software, which combines CAD (part design), CAM (g code generation) and Controller (gcode sending) into 1 solution and is free to use. There are many other available software options out there that range in price.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:40 AM CDT
    Can I use my own software?

As long as your program can export standard G-code and you have a G-code sender it will work with Carvey.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 9:40 AM CDT
    How big is Carvey’s build area?

Carvey has a build area of 12” x 8” x 2.75”.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 11:29 AM CDT
    How thick of a material can you carve with Carvey?

Material height + depth of cut can not exceed 2.75". Using the clamps included with the machine you can work with thicknesses up to 3/4". We will offer additional clamps for working with materials up to 2.75" thick.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 11:42 AM CDT
    Will Carvey get dust all over my office?

The cutting area of the machine is fully enclosed and will contain the dust during the machine operation. The dust can be easily vacuumed up once a job is completed.
    Last updated: Tue, Oct 21 2014 2:18 PM CDT
    Will any part of the machine be open source?

Yes. The machine controller and firmware are open source. The source files will be released before we ship any machines.
    Last updated: Wed, Oct 22 2014 9:58 AM CDT
    What is the process for milling circuit boards using Easel and Carvey?

You can use any circuit design software that can export an image of your board. This image then needs a little bit of processing in Illustrator or Inkscape, from where it needs to be saved as an .svg file. The .svg file can be imported into Easel and then be sent to Carvey to mill the board.

Here is a circuit board project one of our staff made recently: http://app.easel.com/projects/j-F5zbpjKfnQfwpVYCCRKw

Stay tuned for a more detailed walkthrough of the process soon.
    Last updated: Thu, Oct 23 2014 9:29 PM CDT
    What voltage range can Carvey operate in?

The internal Carvey power supply will be rated 100V-240V and can be used globally. We will offer cord+plug options for the US and EU. The socket on the back of Carvey is universal so customers who have a different cord+plug requirement will be able to use one that is appropriate for their country.
    Last updated: Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:18 PM CDT
    Does the Carvey machine and Easel software work with both Windows and Mac OS?

Yes. For optimal results you will need to have a Chrome web browser, a 64 bit Mac or Windows operating system, and a USB port.
    Last updated: Thu, Oct 23 2014 8:53 PM CDT
    How precise is Carvey?

Run out .0004"
    Repeatability on X: 0
    Repeatability on Y: 0
    Repeatability on Z: .0005"

Check out this update and video for more details on how we took the measurements:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/carvey/carvey-the-3d-carving-machine-for-the-maker-in-all/posts/1027731
    Last updated: Thu, Oct 23 2014 9:29 PM CDT

I know there are a few people here who have a small CNC setup. Thoughts on how viable this product is?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Carvey: The 3D carving machine for the maker in all of us (Kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 10:25:22 »
3 axis CNC at that size aren't terribly expensive.  However something made for the desktop use for say a classroom which doesn't have a lot of room to make a mess has its value.  This doesn't look to be too expensive while it's being backed, but if retail is over 2.3K that's far too much.  As it is the price is premium for what it does.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 11:37:04 »
not to be that guy but... I bought my 30x40cm solid aluminum CNC at less than that and it comes with a 800watt/24k rpm spindle.

Offline lkong

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 18:00:31 »
Looks all nice and good.
But something on kickstarter that is planning to deliver after almost a whole year.
There are too many things can go wrong with it.