Author Topic: Leopold & FC660 disappearing?  (Read 5219 times)

Offline rebcabin2

Leopold & FC660 disappearing?
« on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 07:56:23 »
I'm in shock... There don't seem to be any Leopold keyboards on elitekeyboards site, let alone my all-time favorite the FC660C. I'd better take better care of the one I have ...

Out flew the web and floated wide-
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Leopold & FC660 disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 07:57:38 »
Someone mentioned elitekeyboards was dropping some of the brands they used to sell, perhaps leopold was one of them??

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 07:58:10 »
EK moved away from leopold when they decided to start carrying KUL boards. They can still be acquired throu f h qtan or another proxy service though.  :thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 07:59:22 »
I think Elitekeyboards dropped Leopold altogether unfortunately, and replaced at least their MX line with KUL.  If you're really keen on an FC660C, there are some available on ebay, and sometimes pop up in the classifieds here.

edit: exitfire and spamray are much quicker than me.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:10:15 »
As mentioned, EK no longer sells Leopold stuff.  I actually sent them an email and they confirmed they will no longer be selling their products, which is a shame.  Importing is obviously still an option, but it's not as convenient/cheap as just buying from EK.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:21:36 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:26:44 by esoomenona »

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:31:02 »
On a related note does anyone know what is going on with KUL?  Still no MX Blues and not a peep about the multi color top case replacements that were promised this summer.

Offline rebcabin2

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:46:49 »
Perhaps this is evidence that HHKB is better than the FC660C, and EK might have seen that evidence which caused them to drop Leopold altogether.

I like the HHKB, too, but the FC660C fits much :eek: better on top of my Mac Book (the HHKB is narrower and its little legs sometimes trigger the chicklet keys underneath). Running a real kbd on top of my laptop is an absolute requirement for me

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 08:49:21 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:26:05 by esoomenona »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:05:07 »
EK got fed up with Leopold

Offline keyton

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:11:19 »
I got fed up with you.

Anybody know if Elitekeyboards is having Halloween Clickclack sale?

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:19:49 »

I got fed up with you
same, wanna shag?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:33:05 »
You can buy on Ebay

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:46:52 »
Perhaps this is evidence that HHKB is better than the FC660C, and EK might have seen that evidence which caused them to drop Leopold altogether.

I just cannot see how EK switching suppliers that manufacture multiple keyboard models each should be related with only one particular part number that uses Topre SW.

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:03:59 »

I just cannot see how EK switching suppliers that manufacture multiple keyboard models each should be related with only one particular part number that uses Topre SW.

Not to mention I've used both and it comes down to preference. I use excel a lot in my day-to-day work, and the dedicated arrow keys are a godsend on this form factor. I also prefer plate-mounted topre to the HHKB's plastic housing. I have 2 FC660Cs and these things are tanks, I wouldn't trade them out for any other topre.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 18:17:29 »
From what I heard is that it's not EK dropping Leopold, it's more like Leopold want to keep most of their stock inside Korea due to higher demand now that mechanical keyboards are more mainstream.

I'm assuming EK can't just sit there and wait for their limited stocks so they had to find substitutes to sell.

So unfortunately for us getting a FC660C would be harder and probably cost more now.  It one of the best 60% layout at the moment.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 23:36:45 »
From what I heard is that it's not EK dropping Leopold, it's more like Leopold want to keep most of their stock inside Korea due to higher demand now that mechanical keyboards are more mainstream.

I'm assuming EK can't just sit there and wait for their limited stocks so they had to find substitutes to sell.

So unfortunately for us getting a FC660C would be harder and probably cost more now.  It one of the best 60% layout at the moment.

I see the point. I have one sample of the MX version and the 66 layout is terrific for Excel navigation. I will have my upcoming Infinity with arrows and delete keys in the top layer a la 66. Also tilde and escape with dedicated keys.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 09:34:43 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:22:36 by esoomenona »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 16:49:11 »

I just cannot see how you cannot see that EK cannot see that HHKB cannot see that Leopold cannot see.

Leopold cannot see? :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:18:12 »

I just cannot see how you cannot see that EK cannot see that HHKB cannot see that Leopold cannot see.

Thank you very much for having enlightened us.  :thumb:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:20:59 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 09:30:43 by esoomenona »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:27:10 »
Thank you very much for having enlightened us.  :thumb:

I suppose this means you now can see.

Not yet, but thank you anyway.  :D

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:49:23 »
Man, now that I look into buying a 660C the EK loss is more painful.  Cheapest option for a black board is near $250 and the white/mixed ones are even more expensive, whereas EK used to sell the black model for $190 + shipping (which would probably be like $200 flat for me).  And the secondhand market isn't really useful since they seem rather sought after and nobody really sells them often.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:52:17 »
I would keep an eye here and /r/mechmarket. I have seen one or two for sale each week. I sold one a few weeks ago for $180

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 16:44:55 »
Well, I have something come to me that isn't supposed to:  a dye-sub FC660C from EK.  You can still access the product pages for leopold stuff (they just removed the links on their site, can use google or browsing history) and out of curiosity I tried to buy one.  Apparently they actually still have some lying around since I not only got through the payment stage but just got a shipping notification.  The pad-printed version does seem to actually be out though, and unfortunately they never did get any of the white version in or I'd have tried that.  Obviously this is YMMV since it could have just been a single board lying around but hey, worth a shot.

either that or I'm going to get a surprise

Offline shut up

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:46:32 »
That's strange, Probably just stopped selling them as others have said?
EBay is probably your best bet if you want one.
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)