Author Topic: Hello Everybody!  (Read 1546 times)

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
Hello Everybody!
« on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:30:11 »
Hello, my name is Jason, and I have a new addiction... mechanical keyboards.

I have been a PC enthusiast since the mid 90s.  I have always looked over, now in my humble opinion, the most important part of the PC experience, the keyboard.  I had always been one to drop thousands on the latest and greatest hardware inside my case and purchase the best mice I could get my hands on, I was always meh about my keyboard. 

Well, in the last few months I was watching a lot of hardware reviews on the YouTubes, and once in awhile a mechanical keyboard review would be in the cue.  I would normally just skip it and find another soundcard review or video card review, but one day I decided to sit and watch one about a keyboard.  I couldn't help wonder to myself, why would anyone be so excited about a darn keyboard.  Well, this individual in the review kept stating how wonderful this type of switch was, and this kind of switch, and the actuation point and click and clack and bump point and so on and and so forth.

This guy was really into this darn keyboard.  It sounded like it was the begin all and end all of computing.  So I started watching other videos from different reviewers.  They as well were excited about mechanical keyboards.  After about a month of watching video after video on YouTube about mechanical keyboards, which many of the videos talked about geekhack.org, I decided I must try this for myself.

So the next I got a chance to go the mall here, I went to Exite, Kuwait's version of Best Buy, and saw a Razer Blackwidow Stealth on the shelf.  I decided, heck, might as well give it a try.

HOLY CRAP!  I have been missing out for almost 20 years of using PCs.  So, at my tower I would have this nice keyboard, but my media server still had a lesser keyboard.  So, the next time I was at Exite they had the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth on sale.  So I put the Ultimate on my tower and the plain Stealth on my server.

And I kept watching reviews.  They kept talking about WASDkeyboards.  Well, I got one.  The Ultimate is on my Server, I'm typing right now with the WASD on my tower, and I'm bringing the Plain Stealth back and forth with me to work to use on my work laptop.

But does this end here?  Oh heck no.  Unfortunately Razer doesn't have anything on WASD.  So I just ordered two more.  One for my server and one for work.  I will be sending the Razers back to the States for my brothers.

Well, that's my story, so far.  I decided to join up so I can learn even more about the real keyboard experience that is mechanical in nature. 

I am one of those Linux/Windows Dual boot guys, so that you know.  I'm just weird like that.

Thank you for reading.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
Re: Hello Everybody!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 19:50:57 »
Welcome to GeekHack, where you'll not only be educated on the wonders of mechanical keyboards, but you'll also be robbed of all you have.

Enjoy.

On another note, what kind of switches are you using? Have you tried using different keycaps, dampeners/o-rings, different-sized keyboards--where is this journey taking you?
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 02:26:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I'm new here myself. So what kind of switches are you using with your current keyboards?
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 05:19:07 »
To everyone thanks for the welcomes.  I suppose I should list what I have so far for my mechanicals.

Razer
   1ea Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth (2014)
      Caps: OEM
      Switches: Razer's own Orange Switches
      Backlighting: OEM Green
   1ea Blackwidow Stealth (2014)
      Caps: OEM
      Switches: Razer's own Orange Switches
      Backlighting: None
WASDkeyboards
   3ea WASD V.2
      Caps: OEM ABS
         Alphanumeric: Blue
         Modifiers: White
         Printing: Modern plus media keys
         Super/Win Key: Ubuntu
      Switches: Brown
      Backlighting: None

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 07:38:18 »
Three boards with browns. I love 'em, too, but that's almost $500 on the exact same board. Considering other switches yet?

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 07:47:28 »
Three boards with browns. I love 'em, too, but that's almost $500 on the exact same board. Considering other switches yet?

I can't say that I am interested in other switches.  I tried the other switches and I like the browns the best.  I like a uniform experience across my platforms.  You have to realize my lively hood has me chained to a PC at home and at work.  I'm probably the only one in the world that has a smart phone for actual business and not playing Flappy Bird.

Thanks for the post.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 08:07:35 »

I can't say that I am interested in other switches.  I tried the other switches and I like the browns the best.  I like a uniform experience across my platforms.  You have to realize my lively hood has me chained to a PC at home and at work.  I'm probably the only one in the world that has a smart phone for actual business and not playing Flappy Bird.

Thanks for the post.

Lol. You may be the only one still thinking Flappy Bird is widely played these days.

Under your circumstances, it's understandable. I've just found that people usually like to branch-out since mechanical keyboards are so expensive.

What switches have you tried? Have you tried other boards with Cherry MX Browns in them? Have you tried a different type of keycap material like the ever-so-popular PBT?

A uniform experience is great, but are you getting the best uniform experience you possibly could be? The WASD V2 may just be the tip of the iceberg for you =p

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 08:16:08 »

Thanks for the post.

Lol. You may be the only one still thinking Flappy Bird is widely played these days.

Under your circumstances, it's understandable. I've just found that people usually like to branch-out since mechanical keyboards are so expensive.

What switches have you tried? Have you tried other boards with Cherry MX Browns in them? Have you tried a different type of keycap material like the ever-so-popular PBT?

A uniform experience is great, but are you getting the best uniform experience you possibly could be? The WASD V2 may just be the tip of the iceberg for you =p

Well, when I get back to the States and buckle down with the family business, I'll probably be branching out.  Right now, with my work schedule and not living in the States, I just need everything lined up so I can just sit down and go to work.

I was lucky enough to find different boards here with different switches.  That's how I feel in love with the browns.  I was looking on some wiki, can't remember which one, but apparently there are all kinds of Cherry MX Switches, even Frankenstein switches created by enthusiasts.  This is probably something I'd be interested in once back in the States.  The ability to build my own plank intrigues me.  I build everything else on my own, why not a plank?

Thank for the post.