Author Topic: Custom Keyboard Design!  (Read 1746 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Custom Keyboard Design!
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:32:27 »
This is a design I came up with for a custom all aluminum keyboard case that could support a standard tenkeyless design. Note that this is only a prototype drawing to visualize aesthetics so there are obviously some things missing. Let me know what you think though, I call it the Hubble Deep Field or HDF for short. The holes on the back as well as the logo are cut into a hollow portion of the upper half of the case that will contain led lights that will shine out of the logo and pinholes to give a sort of "starry" effect. Moreover I designed the wedge so that the upper half could slide up and down the plane allowing different heights to be set for the board to match any wrist rest heights. Lastly if you dont want an incline or you want to install feet you can simply take the wedge off. Again, let me know what you think! :thumb:
80664-0
80666-1
80668-2
80670-3

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Custom Keyboard Design!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 01:19:24 »
Interesting concept.  It would be even more cool if you had a secondary USB input for power so you could do something like make the base out of acrylic instead and install LED strips to light the bottom.  Since it's kind of modular, you could do wood, acrylic, aluminum, brass, or whatever else you wanted for the base.

The main problem I see is that you'd be relying on a PCB mount setup or a plate that might not be flush with the lip of the case.  That could cause some issues.  And if it is flush, the case may be too tall.

Definitely an interesting concept though.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 10:49:47 »
Interesting concept.  It would be even more cool if you had a secondary USB input for power so you could do something like make the base out of acrylic instead and install LED strips to light the bottom.  Since it's kind of modular, you could do wood, acrylic, aluminum, brass, or whatever else you wanted for the base.

The main problem I see is that you'd be relying on a PCB mount setup or a plate that might not be flush with the lip of the case.  That could cause some issues.  And if it is flush, the case may be too tall.

Definitely an interesting concept though.

I like the idea of using different materials! The actual thing wouldn't be pcb mounted, there would be a plate however I didn't take the time to model one because I just wanted a concept. Chances are that the current upper half would be in two parts with the usual tenkeyless cover and plate.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 10:19:11 »
Damn, this is super l33t
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 10:33:23 »
Dude, if you are serious about making a custom, I can definitely help you out with a logo if you want it.

Also, I'm wondering if you can make the wedge reversible to try out negative angle. I think that would be a fun and cost-effective feature. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!