Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Rayoui

Hello :)
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 08:16:18 »
Hello everyone!

I have only recently discovered what I've been missing out on with regards to mechanical keyboards. My first was a Corsair K70 which I purchased on a whim about a year ago without doing much research. I loved it so much I figured it couldn't possibly get much better. Boy, was I wrong.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea a community like this even existed. I had never really given much thought to keyboards even though I sit in front of one for hours a day. I wouldn't have imagined anybody would put the time into customizing or modding one. After doing quite a bit of reading, I decided to pick up a Ducky Shine 3 with MX Browns. I immediately noticed I was consistently able to type 10-15 WPM faster than I had with the MX Reds on the K70. Whether it was because of the switches or the keyboard itself, I don't know, but it intrigued me enough to delve even deeper. Now I'm afraid I'm falling down a slippery slope into keyboard-mania.

amidoinitrite?
Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown with SP doubleshots :D

I'm so overwhelmed with different models and layouts and switches and caps, I don't even know where to go from here!
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:21:21 »
Sir,
That is a pretty keyboard.  Very pretty.  If you don't mind me asking, how did you piece that lovely thing together?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 02:44:03 »
I used the doubleshot sets available from Signature Plastics, as well as a couple custom modifiers for the OS keys and some zinc arrows. SP's white keycaps are an absolutely brilliant white that contrasts very nicely with the black. The legends are very sharp and clear. The tops of the doubleshots are thick enough that they let virtually no light through from the LEDs but allow it to bleed out from between them. I really like the effect, especially around the white keycaps.

I would eventually like to find some nice sets of white and black PBT blanks to keep the same color scheme, but those seem to be hard to come by.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:49:08 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

That's a nice-looking board.

Banggood may have the white blank PBT keycaps you're looking for, and for very cheap.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 02:22:44 »
This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 07:17:26 »
This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

No problem.

I was between getting those and the Vortex backlit-compatible PBT's for my first PBT set. I ended up getting the Vortex but the legends look awful and my LED's are unfortunately below the switch while the LED's are on top. I may get the blanks myself now.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 03:01:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice layout, except maybe the \| and `~ :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Muzi

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 20:03:13 »
welcome to GeekHack.

this keyboard is  ducky s3?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 16:02:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I know it's not quite right, but I like the symmetry :)

welcome to GeekHack.

this keyboard is  ducky s3?

Yes, s3 with MX Brown. I also have a Shine 3 TKL with MX Blue that I want to do something similar with because I absolutely love the look but I prefer the blue switches. I couldn't find one with the right color LEDs so I have a bag of magenta LEDs on the way and also some white and black Leopold thick PBT caps. So excited :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 03:31:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I know it's not quite right, but I like the symmetry :)

Ah, you are a symmetrical person!  I am not :p  But there is nothing wrong with either approach, and many group buys actually cater for both approaches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ