Author Topic: ZINC CAPS :D  (Read 4033 times)

Offline a Horde of Penguins

ZINC CAPS :D
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 16:09:54 »
saw someone looking around for some of theses a couple weeks ago and thought i should point this out if theyre still looking.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mkc-zinc-37-keyset-silver
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mkc-zinc-37-keyset

not the entire board mind you but hope this makes someone happy

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: ZINC CAPS :D
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 18:18:35 »
Yea but they were looking for the blanks with spacebar and mods

Offline Sov

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:24:26 »
Haha they look kinda cool, but I can't imagine actually using those, especially with any of the lighter switches.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 14:37:29 »
I have a full set,  it's actually pretty nice.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:37:10 »
I want copper with backlight laser etching.

I always seem to have expensive tastes...
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:52:44 »

Afraid of nail polish because of "toxicity," wants copper caps.  You confuse the hell out of me.

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:36:59 »

Afraid of nail polish because of "toxicity," wants copper caps.  You confuse the hell out of me.

So, you don't know that copper is actually good when in contact with the body? It relieves pain and stress and that is why I wear a copper necklace; it is also why people wear copper bracelets when they have wrist problems, or the copper-lined knee braces. It is used for arthritis, not that I have any -- I just use it to relieve any neck pain I may or may not get.

Copper is a metal, not a slurry of toxic chemicals.

Funny note about nail polish, it actually has chemicals that makes the nails really brittle -- everything is an industry after all...how else would they sell you the "nail hardener"?

I am talking about the US by the way, other countries might have formula's of nail polish that are considered safer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 17:38:39 by NeedAFix »
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 14:04:03 »
Silver ones look so sexy.  I suppose my first step though would be to get a keyboard that had mx switches though lol.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Muzi

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:49:52 »
thanks

Offline z_weenie

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 20:17:49 »
I've heard that after a while, much like the ABS plastic caps, they will wear and fade over time since it's only a zinc plating. Anyone have any info to support or refute this?

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:19:23 »
I've heard that after a while, much like the ABS plastic caps, they will wear and fade over time since it's only a zinc plating. Anyone have any info to support or refute this?

I've heard the same. I think there are some posts with the looks of it after a few months of usage. >< They looked awful, not sure if it is fixed in this iteration.

Offline divito

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:42:41 »

I've heard the same. I think there are some posts with the looks of it after a few months of usage. >< They looked awful, not sure if it is fixed in this iteration.

I really hate that reddit user for misinforming people. I've had a 37-key blank set that I used for over 5 months daily, and never had any wear. I also have an 87-key blank set, that also hasn't had signs of wear.

The legended zinc caps, as I've had to reiterate in other threads are problematic due to the legend itself. If one were to not take care of their hygiene, or have issues that wear away the coating/scratch it, once you wear to the legend, it's basically game over. Given my choice of blank caps, I've never had an issue, as even if I did wear the coating, which hasn't happened yet, there's no weakened part of the cap where water, oils, etc... would deteriorate the cap.

There's nothing wrong with zinc caps as long as you're taking care of your hands, and your nails. Outside of wearing the coating with oils, water, or eating at your desk, the only other way to get through the coating through normal use would be not taking care of your nails, or having choppy, unsmooth nails, which would scratch or chip away the coating.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:11:38 »
Can anyone attest to the experience of typing on zinc caps with lighter springs, I'm not sure if it would be too mushy.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:14:46 »
they will wear and fade over time since it's only a zinc plating.

What? The caps are cast in zinc with something else plating them, isn't that the case?

Anyway, metals are interesting and do not age and behave like plastics at all.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:15:59 »
Can anyone attest to the experience of typing on zinc caps with lighter springs, I'm not sure if it would be too mushy.

At Hoffmans meetup I was talking with CPTBadAss and he said there was one with reds or browns and zinc caps.  It was said that you could blow across the board and actuate every switch almost simultaneously.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:20:32 »

It's not plated, it's cast.

They oxidize over time if you wear through the protective coating, which tends to happen with heavy use.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline z_weenie

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 17:27:10 »

It's not plated, it's cast.

They oxidize over time if you wear through the protective coating, which tends to happen with heavy use.
Ah, so they ARE cast? That makes a big difference.. I do like the look of them but that was my main concern, that they would fade.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:32:13 »
Where can you find the full blank sets?  ... and are there any aluminum sets out there?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:36:10 »
How do Zinc feels compare to PBT feels? It's cold out here in Portugal, wouldn't Zinc keys be cold as well?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 15:15:26 »
Where can you find the full blank sets?  ... and are there any aluminum sets out there?

Scarface set is the only alu set. $400+ in classifieds, if someone is actually willing to let go of one.

Full blank zinc sets are definitely a thing. I think Feng stocks mods and alphas.

How do Zinc feels compare to PBT feels? It's cold out here in Portugal, wouldn't Zinc keys be cold as well?

Yes, they do get cold. They're also really heavy, and that's reflected in the feel.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline neiru37

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:55:12 »
I ordered the WASD set + the modifiers set from Banggood.com.

They feel nice, really solid when bottoming out (I like bottoming out).

The only problem i have with them is that they can fall out if struck too strong or when you hang your keyboard upside down then tap on the back. I guess they pop up/fall out due to their own weight as the grip on the stem can't hold the really heavy keys.

But don't get me wrong, I definitely would like to replace my whole keyboard with them, if only they had:
1. Backlighting support
2. A cheaper price tag

Offline EvilOliv3

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 05:28:25 »
I own a set of blank WASD(zinc) from Feng and a set of Mods(Kirksite) from banggood. It's been almost a year now and have yet to see any wear. They're still shiny silver, legends on the mods haven't changed either.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 04:50:53 »
This has happened to me with two sets purchased from Fang. They were versions 1 and 2.