Author Topic: Artsy/Blended key caps  (Read 9082 times)

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
  • Java programming and fancy key caps!
    • Elsea Labs
Artsy/Blended key caps
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:50:29 »
I've seen loads of key caps that are "blended colors" and look pretty cool. I know many of them are insanely expensive and hard to get a hold of, but where should I look to find these kind of keys or artsy keys like it. Are there any made by people other than the big name and expensive artisans? Below are some good examples.

80781-0 80783-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:52:44 by connorelsea »

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Artsy/Blended key caps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:52:45 »
The one on the left if a FN key from brocaps, and the ones on the right are julysicles from click clack.  ;)

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 19:53:42 »
The one on the left if a FN key from brocaps, and the ones on the right are julysicles from click clack.  ;)

Yeah I know who makes the ones I posted. I was just wondering where I'd get some like them or if there were any other companies/people that made keys like them

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:00:05 »

Yeah I know who makes the ones I posted. I was just wondering where I'd get some like them or if there were any other companies/people that made keys like them
Either of those two are going to require hunting the classifieds. I believe nubbinator is making FN keycaps now, and they are like that. So unless click clack starts making new ones like that the only two places to look are going to be from bro caps or nubbinator.

Other than that, I don't think there are other places to get keycaps like that.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:02:24 »
Is it common for keys like that to go up on the classifieds? If so I'll keep an eye out. I'm kind of new and am looking for some pretty keys to go on my keyboard.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:37:48 »
Where would I go to get resources to make keys like this? Even just to mess around with it. I looked around online and searched through here, but couldn't really find anything on how these are made.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:38:59 »
Where would I go to get resources to make keys like this? Even just to mess around with it. I looked around online and searched through here, but couldn't really find anything on how these are made.
Did you check the making things together sub-forum?

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:42:01 »
Did you check the making things together sub-forum?

To be honest I thought was pretty much only for modding the physical aspect of the keyboards and PCB and such. Are there parts for describing the process of making key caps? I don't seem to see anything other than this thread, which I don't really understand what this information is for. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33496.0

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:43:39 »
connorelsea, that desk looks familiar think i have the same one is it IKEA?

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:44:34 »
connorelsea, that desk looks familiar think i have the same one is it IKEA?

Sorry, none of those pictures are mine. I wish I owned those key caps!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:44:41 »
I'm on my phone so I can't link them but there are some threads that are very detailed in the cap making process.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:46:15 »
I'm on my phone so I can't link them but there are some threads that are very detailed in the cap making process.

I'll have to look harder then. If anyone else can link to some I'd be very thankful. Seems very fun to toy around with.

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 13:53:58 »
I'll be making some soon once more pigment comes in :)

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:07:13 »

Can you link me to wherever you found guides?

Also I think I might try my hand at some of these. But I'm not sure what paint will stay or what kind of coating I should use. Found these on a Google Images search and they look super cool.

80864-0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:11:10 »

Can you link me to wherever you found guides?

Also I think I might try my hand at some of these. But I'm not sure what paint will stay or what kind of coating I should use. Found these on a Google Images search and they look super cool.

(Attachment Link)

Those are polish dipped caps.  You do fingernail polish, float it on water, make a pattern, and dip the cap into it.  Some seal it with a clear coat.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:23:04 »
Why polish? Are they made by a specific person? And I've seen people dip things, I just wasn't sure what to coat it in. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really interested and everyone has to start somewhere! :/

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:26:39 »
Why polish? Are they made by a specific person? And I've seen people dip things, I just wasn't sure what to coat it in. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really interested and everyone has to start somewhere! :/

ragnarock makes these

he still checks up here every week or so, i think he was last online on like Tuesday

shoot him a PM
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:40:08 »

Because it works well for it.  There may be some other things people use to texturize it and such, but that's the mail one.  I believe they just clear coat it with a lacquer/varnish/polish to make it last longer.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:44:39 »

Because it works well for it.  There may be some other things people use to texturize it and such, but that's the mail one.  I believe they just clear coat it with a lacquer/varnish/polish to make it last longer.

Ah, I thought you were saying polish as if it were part of the key cap name, since you said "polish dipped key caps" instead of "polished dipped key caps."

Thanks for the help. I'll have to order some blanks and some paint and try this out. Do you have any suggestion of where to order blanks from? I want Cherry MX but I don't know if I'll be able to get blank PBTs. I guess I could get some of the white ones from eBay but I don't know the quality of those. And is there any specific form factor I should aim for?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:49:37 »
Pay for shipping and I have a bunch of MX ABS SP caps I can send your way.  It's shouldn't be more than $3 to ship.  I'd love to get one or two just to see your results, but don't feel obligated.

And I'm not sure how well paint holds up, I just know nail polish is a go to for it.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:54:16 »
Okay. Pm me details about how you want me to give you the money and I'll send the money and give you my boarding school's address.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:59:00 »
Gave nub my details and he's sending the caps my way. Got some nail polish to use and will test it soon. Might test it on some rubber dome caps first.

80959-0

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:24:17 »
Don't forget to post the finish results

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:48:00 »
Really kind of disappointed with the results. I am going to have to keep trying. The problem currently is that it either globs on super thick, or that it has water bubbles or paint bubbles. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix those issues, even if it's just an idea, please let me know.

80977-0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:48:44 »
The second from the right one is pretty cool looking
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:50:19 »
The second from the right one is pretty cool looking

Yeah that's definitely the best one. But these are only the presentable ones. Most were globbed pieces of ****. I need to figure out a better method.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:57:56 »
second from the right is looking legit.

im not sure if this process is similar to hyrodripping? but i know the case of hydrodripping there is an 'art' to how you put the pattern on smoothly.

they all seem to put it in slow and on an angle. not sure if this helps at all. youtube gives a million examples

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 23:10:14 »
Ther are some videos like this, but it's harder than it looks apparently. The paint drying too fast or clumping up is the problem.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 23:54:08 »
I think it's getting better! Will keep practicing on these rubber domes, and hopefully by the time the mechanical key caps come in, I'll be good enough to make a quality key cap.

This could have used a base coat, and then the design, but I think the application of the design has definitely improved. Hopefully it will keep doing so.

80987-0
80993-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 00:32:43 by connorelsea »

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:30:03 »
Just so you know, nail polish does have toxic chemicals in it so it is highly recommended to coat it with something that will not soak chemicals into your fingertips.

Those key caps look cool but I wonder how CHESSEX Dice do their magical colors and with what materials (I think I've read about it before but I don't remember off-hand):

More

The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline corydora

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:48:37 »
Not sure if you've figured this out already but - I do nail art, so. Make sure you're using filtered or distilled water, and it needs to be at room temperature, water that's too cold or hot will set your polish too fast. Also drip the polish with the brush almost touching the surface of the water - it should be able to run off the brush and onto the water without actually making a seperate drip. Not sure if this is helpful or not... Good luck! You have some great colour combos going on there.

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:03:48 »
Not sure if you've figured this out already but - I do nail art, so. Make sure you're using filtered or distilled water, and it needs to be at room temperature, water that's too cold or hot will set your polish too fast. Also drip the polish with the brush almost touching the surface of the water - it should be able to run off the brush and onto the water without actually making a seperate drip. Not sure if this is helpful or not... Good luck! You have some great colour combos going on there.

Do you know about the related toxins in nail polishes? What do you use to clear coat the keycaps to make them *less toxic* or "non-toxic"?
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:50:29 »
Everything is toxic.  Get over it.  Unless you're downing bottles of nail polish you have zero risk from it.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 13:11:38 »

Thanks. I have had problems with it drying on top of the water too fast, and I think that was because it was too cold, and I was not using filtered water. But I will fix those two things today and try again.

Also I am having a lot of problems with making the straight lines in some of the pictures seen here. http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=64752.0;attach=80864;image

The nail polish will either be too clumpy or be too thin and be transparent, almost mixing with the polish next to it, creating mixed colors instead of the interesting straight lines that are desired. And I am also having trouble removing the excess paint on the top of the water quick enough. Currently I am having another person stand near me with two Q-Tips and having them remove the excess as quickly as possible after the cap is dipped (top down) into the paint. But commonly some of the excess will fall back down onto the key, therefore ruining the design, making it bumpy etc. Or sometimes the paint will be far too thick, making it uneven and blended instead of having straight lines.

If you can help me address any of these problems I would be very thankful. I'd love to make keys as cool and as sharp as those in the picture.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:39:02 »
I think I'm getting better. Gotta' keep practicing though. I think this is the best one yet. I'm working on minimalising the imperfections due to human error.

81070-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:40:35 by connorelsea »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:45:51 »
I think I'm getting better. Gotta' keep practicing though. I think this is the best one yet. I'm working on minimalising the imperfections due to human error.

(Attachment Link)
Oh yeah, these are getting really good :thumb:

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:49:48 »

(Attachment Link)

Looks great! A full set of mods that look like this would be sick.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline corydora

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:41:12 »
The best advice I can think of really is to go and look up a bunch of 'water marbled nail art' videos, that's how I learned. You can see exactly what the pros are doing then, maybe that would help you with your technique! Bet you really seem to be getting the hang of it, it's just one of those things that takes practice. Lots, and lots of practice...

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:46:24 »
That latest modifier looks good.
You could be selling these in a couple of months.
Hell I bet some people would buy that key.
Keep at it!

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 22:52:19 »
I've been practicing more and more. These are getting pretty good. There are some obvious imperfections where the paint ripped, etc, but I think these are a pretty good example of the progress. And sorry for the picture quality, the autofocus on my DSLR broke!

81161-0
81163-1
81165-2

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 23:12:17 »
I've been practicing more and more. These are getting pretty good. There are some obvious imperfections where the paint ripped, etc, but I think these are a pretty good example of the progress. And sorry for the picture quality, the autofocus on my DSLR broke!

(Attachment Link)

The middle cap of the top row is sweet, great job.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:17:17 »

(Attachment Link)

The middle cap of the top row is sweet, great job.  :thumb:

My thoughts exactly.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:21:00 »
> reddit

81205-0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:24:48 »
Oh the irony.  *****es about "humorless" people, is humorless.

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 16:46:55 »
Got the keys from nubbinator today! Thanks so much! They all look great and this really shows how great of a community this is! But before I make tons, would anyone actually be interested in purchasing some of the really good paintes keys (without imperfections) on cherry MX keys for a low price?

81215-0

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:16:43 »
Got the keys from nubbinator today! Thanks so much! They all look great and this really shows how great of a community this is! But before I make tons, would anyone actually be interested in purchasing some of the really good paintes keys (without imperfections) on cherry MX keys for a low price?

(Attachment Link)

I'd be down for a few

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:18:45 »
This isn't the classifieds ;D
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
    • Elsea Labs
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:21:45 »
This isn't the classifieds ;D

Should I post in the classifieds or in an artisan thread once I make the caps?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:23:26 »
not my domain

ask a mod/admin

hoff is usually pretty receptive to this kind of stuff

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:33:03 »
Since you're creating a decent number of your own caps, I'd say artisan thread