Author Topic: Which pointing device will best fit beside a HHKB ? / Mouse / Trackball / ...  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Wonko73

Hi!

I'm going to get my first HHKB Type S soon and can't wait to try out "the holy topre grail of keyboards" by myself. But I'm not sure, if my standard Lenovo USB Cable mouse will be the right neighbour for the HHKB.

What do you think: What pointing device will fit best to a HHKB and why?

The device should work well with Debian Linux (Wheezy) / Crunchbang and should be fine without having a mousepad (I don't like them, I got a nice wooden desk)

Pics and links are very welcome!
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 October 2014, 10:20:43 by Wonko73 »
Filco TKL MX Blue | Filco TKP brown | HHKB2 Type S | Realforce 23U

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
This is really just personal preference. When it comes to mice and pointing devices, perhaps even more so than when it comes to keyboards, your specific anatomy, habits, setup and preferences decides what would work for you.

Personally, I use two pointing devices. One is my work thumb trackball (I have one at home and at work). I am a big fan of the thumb trackball. It creates zero strain for me, I am quick and accurate with them, and they are in some ways better than a regular mouse (especially if you use multiple screens and are constantly moving the cursor between them). I have used and tried the "large" trackballs like the kensington slimblade, but they are not for me. They are slower to use and less comfortable for me, even when I gave myself enough time to get used to them.

But there are certain applications in which I prefer to use a regular mouse. Gaming is on example (but not the only one). For that I use the Zowie EC1 Evo (white). One reason to use this mouse is the optical sensor that outperforms a lot of popular sensors on the market. But the main reason is low weight for its size, the perfect (to me) shape, and the glossy coating that just sticks to my hand and feels pleasant.

Those are my choices. I do recommend them but at the same time, I do realize that for someone else, a glossy coating , or a trackball that you operate with your thumb, could be a nightmare to work with.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Tiramisuu

rat 9 wireless ( get a 4 year warrantee as the seem to break).
logitech g502 proteus
g602s looks nice if you can stand wired.

I'm hoping for the g702s soon.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Wonko73

Thank you very much for your answers!

Well, I'm not a gamer, so I won't need one of those "spaceship like mice with more than 3 keys". Somehow I like the trackball idea, but I'm afraid I can't stand a thumb-trackball.... well - maybe I have to try one for a while?

Any suggestions for a really good trackball? Logitech? Kensington?
Filco TKL MX Blue | Filco TKP brown | HHKB2 Type S | Realforce 23U

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Just get a good, high quality mouse that feels comfortable and tracks well. Doesn't have to be fancy, just good. I happen to use a RAT 3 mouse, not for the "spaceship" looks, but the comfort, light weight and accurate tracking. I used a wired one due to the weight of most wireless and having to change / charge batteries.

Simple, functional and comfortable, like a good 60% keyboard :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Rollermouse.

Offline randomist

If you just want to navigate web pages, spreadsheets etc. then a roller might do. I find I can use them ok, but I don't like them as much as a mouse. The traditional mouse is often easier for accurate and quick cursor movement. For CAD I even find that a gaming mouse can be worthwhile over the run of the mill office mice and even some of the flashier office mice. There's no reason to have just one mousing device, either. plenty of people I know use two devices, either swapping hands or type of device, or both, to relieve strain. I even find myself using the mouse emulation in my Ducky mini sometimes. My former supervisor had a strange device that was a roller on a bar. The roller slid left or right and rolled up and down. It was a nightmare to use, even with using it all the time he was really slow with it. Then again he was really slow with a regular mouse too.