Author Topic: Hey everyone  (Read 1809 times)

Offline SenorChuckles

Hey everyone
« on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:22:03 »
Just wanted to say hey. Found out about this site from /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I started out with a Razer Blackwidow about 3 years ago. Sold it and got a Corsair K70 with mx resd which I have been using for about a year and a half. I loved both keyboards but will definitely be looking for something with browns or clears. I definitely miss the tactile feedback just not as loud as blues.  Very fun to type on though!

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
Re: Hey everyone
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:23:28 »
Welcome to GeekHack, where Razer and Corsair are generally frowned upon keyboard name-brands x.x

(they don't totally suck)

At any rate, I hope you do find another board to suit your tastes. Is there anything you've been looking at in particular?
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline SenorChuckles

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:28:26 »
Welcome to GeekHack, where Razer and Corsair are generally frowned upon keyboard name-brands x.x

At any rate, I hope you do find another board to suit your tastes. Is there anything you've been looking at in particular?

Now I feel bad
I've been looking at the Ducky Mini, but really wish they were available in clears. The YotH edition looks tempting too especially since it is my animal in the chinese zodiac. I'm really leaning towards clears now after ordering a sampler kit from wasd so if they don't come out in them I might look at something else. Also I realized I posted this thread twice. Not a good start...

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:42:19 »

Now I feel bad
I've been looking at the Ducky Mini, but really wish they were available in clears. The YotH edition looks tempting too especially since it is my animal in the chinese zodiac. I'm really leaning towards clears now after ordering a sampler kit from wasd so if they don't come out in them I might look at something else. Also I realized I posted this thread twice. Not a good start...

Don't feel bad! You won't be bashed on for using a Razer or Corsair keyboard; a lot of people start with those. They're still very much an upgrade from a membrane keyboard. You're not the only one here that started with/still uses a Razer/Corsair. It's totally a preference thing and you're entitled to your opinions. I personally like typing on my Corsair.

And don't worry about the double-post. That's a known issue with the forum. Still don't know why it hasn't been fixed.

Offline SenorChuckles

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:22:13 »

Now I feel bad

Don't feel bad! You won't be bashed on for using a Razer or Corsair keyboard; a lot of people start with those. They're still very much an upgrade from a membrane keyboard. You're not the only one here that started with/still uses a Razer/Corsair. It's totally a preference thing and you're entitled to your opinions. I personally like typing on my Corsair.

And don't worry about the double-post. That's a known issue with the forum. Still don't know why it hasn't been fixed.

Thanks glad to know it wasn't me. Yeah I like my Corsair but reds just aren't my thing. I end up fat fingering keys when gaming and pressing the wrong ones more often when typing. Didn't really have that one with the Razer one. I'll be checking around the forums to see what my options are.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 02:43:14 »
K70 was a gateway board for me :P  If it wasn't for the K70, I would never have discovered this community. I still think it's one of the better looking boards out there.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 07:14:23 »
Thanks glad to know it wasn't me. Yeah I like my Corsair but reds just aren't my thing. I end up fat fingering keys when gaming and pressing the wrong ones more often when typing. Didn't really have that one with the Razer one. I'll be checking around the forums to see what my options are.

If you really like the look and build quality of the K70 (I personally find the aesthetics gorgeous), it does come in Cherry MX Blues and Browns. It's the only board Corsair offers with a switch other than Reds.

Razer has clicky switches while the Corsair you have uses linear switches. Have you considered a tactile switch like the Browns or even the Clears?

K70 was a gateway board for me :P  If it wasn't for the K70, I would never have discovered this community. I still think it's one of the better looking boards out there.

Totally agree. If only its build and quality control was up there with the others. I can't wait to see what other manufacturers do when the RGB switches are let loose.

Offline SenorChuckles

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:52:12 »

If you really like the look and build quality of the K70 (I personally find the aesthetics gorgeous), it does come in Cherry MX Blues and Browns. It's the only board Corsair offers with a switch other than Reds.

Razer has clicky switches while the Corsair you have uses linear switches. Have you considered a tactile switch like the Browns or even the Clears?

I'm probably gonna steer away from "gaming" boards for now. Yeah I ordered a sampler kit from WASD and I really like the Clears. The browns weren't bad either but the Clears had a more noticeable bump which I really liked.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:53:29 »

I'm probably gonna steer away from "gaming" boards for now. Yeah I ordered a sampler kit from WASD and I really like the Clears. The browns weren't bad either but the Clears had a more noticeable bump which I really liked.

If you have a chance, you should stop by your local Best Buy and try typing on a Logitech G710+. It's usually found on display in Best Buy's PC gaming section. My experience with Browns is that the tactile bump is very noticeable when compared to Reds' complete lack of feedback. Like you, I initially thought that I would barely be able to feel the bump from Browns when I tried my sampler.

Pretty much any keyboard can be used as a "gaming keyboard" with AutoHotkey. You'd be surprised at how many support macros.

Offline SenorChuckles

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 17:24:43 »

If you have a chance, you should stop by your local Best Buy and try typing on a Logitech G710+. It's usually found on display in Best Buy's PC gaming section. My experience with Browns is that the tactile bump is very noticeable when compared to Reds' complete lack of feedback. Like you, I initially thought that I would barely be able to feel the bump from Browns when I tried my sampler.

Pretty much any keyboard can be used as a "gaming keyboard" with AutoHotkey. You'd be surprised at how many support macros.

Yeah i might have to do that just to be sure. Didn't know that about hotkeys. I don't really need them but I could probably find a use for it thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 03:07:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Some people like MX browns, but a surprising many like MX clears!  Must be something about them - I am wondering about clears in my next keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ