Author Topic: Topre question.  (Read 8463 times)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
Topre question.
« on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:14:25 »
I don't know where I read this but I recall hearing something about Topres wearing down over time (quicker than Cherry MX).

Can anyone confirm this?

I love Topres and am looking to buy an HHKB Type-S as my next board, which also means I'm selling my Type Heaven (excellent condition) but I just wanted to know if anyone here has been able to "wear down" their Topre boards or if that "wearing down" statement I read was full of it.
null

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
Re: Topre question.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:15:17 »
please clarify what you mean by "wear down"
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:16:05 »
I think the review said something about the rubber domes getting chewed through or something of the sort.
null

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:17:01 »
I think the review said something about the rubber domes getting chewed through or something of the sort.
I've never heard of such a thing.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:18:27 »

yeah, as spamray has mentioned - never heard of this at all.

the domes do 'break in', much the same way that an owner of a new pair of boots 'breaks them in'. I can assure you that this process of 'breaking in' your domes on a Topre board is only a positive thing.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:19:44 »
pictures were lost in the famous gh crash but here's the topic:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg517654#msg517654

Statistically speaking, I don't think there isn't a large enough sample size to make that determination.

Hasu would be a good one to talk to as he has a HHKB pro 1 that he has used for the last like 5 or 6 years.

002 also has a lot of old topre keyboards.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:25:23 »
pictures were lost in the famous gh crash but here's the topic:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg517654#msg517654

Statistically speaking, I don't think there isn't a large enough sample size to make that determination.

Hasu would be a good one to talk to as he has a HHKB pro 1 that he has used for the last like 5 or 6 years.

002 also has a lot of old topre keyboards.

Oh wow. Good find.
That's exactly what I read!

(I must have been really tired when I read that because I read it completely wrong....)

But on second read... rubber dome stiffening doesn't sound half bad as my illusory dream board would be a 55g HHKB.

Maybe I could buy the HHKB and use "break it in" for 5 years to get my desired switch stiffness  :))
null

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 20:16:56 »
Great.

No longer double thinking my decision to fully commit to Topre!

Now to decide whether I want a TKL or an HHKB.  :eek:
null

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 20:52:11 »
Do what I did. Buy both!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 20:55:21 »
Do what I did. Buy both!
I want a 55G 87U and HHKB Type-S.
So many wants, so little funds.

Now... I need to hang around these forums for a little bit more (12 more posts or something) and then I can finally post my Type Heaven in classifieds and finally have enough to buy a Type-S.

The 87U will wait for later since I love the HHKB layout (I've had my rMBP CapsLock remapped to Command for who knows how long haha)
null

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:39:15 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 23:37:29 »
Do what I did. Buy both!
The missus would skin me alive.  :-[
null

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 01:42:09 »
Do what I did. Buy both!

I did both too and sooo worth it, I have my type-s at work and my 55g Realforce TKL at home. Just do it slowly ;)

If you really have to go for one my advice would be this: If you do a serious ton of typing then the the type-s is probably the better choice. If your use is more varied then the Realforce 55g is a great way to go. It's probably a little better for gaming too.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:20:32 »
HHKB is OK in a pinch for gaming, but if it's something you'll be doing even semi-regularly, go for the Realforce.

While the Type-S is cool, I personally prefer the dark gray chassis of the standard HHKB, especially when paired with the white model's caps and a red Escape key thrown in for good measure. I was concerned about the noise from the non-silent HHKB, but I've actually grown to like it quite a bit. Ultimately, for my usage, it was not worth the substantial extra cost for the Type-S. There's also the risk of getting a Type-S that whistles, which would absolutely drive me up a wall. No such problem for the standard HHKB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 10:26:22 by saturnotaku »

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:48:34 »
The rubber domes get stiffer over the time, my Pro1 feels pretty much like a 55g Realforce right now :)
It happened very uniformly, I can't notice differences between switches.

The ABS spacebar is the weak spot tbh:

But after such long period its legit to get yourself a new set of caps, or a brand new Keyboard :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:50:18 »
The rubber domes get stiffer over the time, my Pro1 feels pretty much like a 55g Realforce right now :)

Show Image

But after such long period its legit to get yourself a new set of caps, or a brand new Keyboard :)
Cookie, that might be the most "loved" HHKB on this forum--Awesome!  ;D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 11:51:25 »
Thanks mate :D I dyed the caps out of curiosity and what can I say... It turned out okay but I regret it :(

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:18:33 »
Do what I did. Buy both!

I did both too and sooo worth it, I have my type-s at work and my 55g Realforce TKL at home. Just do it slowly ;)

If you really have to go for one my advice would be this: If you do a serious ton of typing then the the type-s is probably the better choice. If your use is more varied then the Realforce 55g is a great way to go. It's probably a little better for gaming too.

Yeah, most of my time on the computer is spent typing or coding. Haven't had a chance, really, to do any sort of gaming in the past couple of years.

Show Image

Is there any way to source replacement spacebars for the white HHKB? I know EK has the black ones in stock but I can't find the white ones anywhere.

HHKB is OK in a pinch for gaming, but if it's something you'll be doing even semi-regularly, go for the Realforce.

While the Type-S is cool, I personally prefer the dark gray chassis of the standard HHKB, especially when paired with the white model's caps and a red Escape key thrown in for good measure. I was concerned about the noise from the non-silent HHKB, but I've actually grown to like it quite a bit. Ultimately, for my usage, it was not worth the substantial extra cost for the Type-S. There's also the risk of getting a Type-S that whistles, which would absolutely drive me up a wall. No such problem for the standard HHKB.

Doesn't the Type-S whistle go away over time?
Also, my girlfriend thinks my Type Heaven is too noisy (I ended up getting a Poker II with MX Clear to appease her since I don't bottom out on that switch - sold it to buy the Type-S)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:20:36 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:22:48 »
Do what I did. Buy both!

Yeah, most of my time on the computer is spent typing or coding. Haven't had a chance, really, to do any sort of gaming in the past couple of years.

Show Image

Is there any way to source replacement spacebars for the white HHKB? I know EK has the black ones in stock but I can't find the white ones anywhere.

Doesn't the Type-S whistle go away over time?

Also, my girlfriend thinks my Type Heaven is too noisy (I ended up getting a Poker II with MX Clear to appease her since I don't bottom out on that switch - sold it to buy the Type-S)

I got the Type-S for 320 shipped from Japan which is only 40 dollars more than what a regular HHKB would have cost me from EK.
null

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:30:09 »
They had the white one a coupple of month ago.
Some people protect the spacebar by applying translucent scotch tape on it, I personally find it ugly.
It takes ages before your spacebar looks like mine, so don't worry and if it someday look similar to mine all other caps probbably developed a good amount of shine as well.
I think you can always buy a new set of caps, for such a great keyboard it will totally worth it.

I woudn't recommend to get a full set of caps from EK, they are way to expensive! I'd buy it directly from Japan!
In case you don't have a proxy in Japan, tenso.com is a nice service to get the stuff you want :)

Anyway, don't waste your time worrying to much about the spacebar, it is meant to be used!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 12:35:49 »
They had the white one a coupple of month ago.
Some people protect the spacebar by applying translucent scotch tape on it, I personally find it ugly.
It takes ages before your spacebar looks like mine, so don't worry and if it someday look similar to mine all other caps probbably developed a good amount of shine as well.
I think you can always buy a new set of caps, for such a great keyboard it will totally worth it.

I woudn't recommend to get a full set of caps from EK, they are way to expensive! I'd buy it directly from Japan!
In case you don't have a proxy in Japan, tenso.com is a nice service to get the stuff you want :)

Anyway, don't waste your time worrying to much about the spacebar, it is meant to be used!
Thanks for the tips!

I have a Tenso account set up and my Type-S is incoming from White Rabbit Express.

How long have you used your HHKB for?
null

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:15:04 »
I have used the Pro2 over 2 years now for gaming and programming, I carried it every morning to work and then back.
Luckly I got the pro1 from a very polite guy from scottland, it was in a terrible condition then I completely modded and cleaned it.

It is basically a pro1 type-s now :)
The pro1 is my daily driver at work.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:37:17 »

Doesn't the constant switching between layouts totally confuse your muscle memory?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 15:49:08 »
Doesn't the constant switching between layouts totally confuse your muscle memory?

The only thing that goofs me up is the position of the backspace key when going to my Realforce from the HHKB. I thought it would be worse, but it's not been proving too much of a hindrance, even though I've only been typing on the HHKB for a couple days. I'm sure it will get better in the long run.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 01:47:17 »
The only thing that goofs me up is the position of the backspace key when going to my Realforce from the HHKB. I thought it would be worse, but it's not been proving too much of a hindrance, even though I've only been typing on the HHKB for a couple days. I'm sure it will get better in the long run.

When I was deciding on the setup I had the exact same concerns and for the first couple weeks maybe even a month the backspace key would get me each time I started typing on the Realforce (normally just once) but after that you naturally get used to it and I haven't made that mistake since. I have seriously grown to love the setup more and more, I am a big fan of the 55g keys and I generally like the heavier feel but the type-s feels amazing as well and it's just nice to have the change on a daily basis. It also ensures I never get so used to either of them that I forget how awesome they both feel.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 03:07:23 »

I switched to Colemak almost two years ago after 30+ years of Qwerty. I can't switch back and forth between Qwerty and Colemak. But I easily switch between my RF TKL boards and my HHKB Pro2. I mean there's not even an adjustment time. Fluid as water. Kind of surprised me actually.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 03:56:44 »

Show Image

Looks cool. Though there is a lot of yellowing on that case. How long have you had it?

That is the reason why I can never get any white or beige ABS cases. Not when I am expecting to use them for many years (though in this particular case, it adds a certain charm in combination with the new keycaps).
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 03:59:33 »
The Pro1 is made in 2005, and yes the yellowing bothers me a bit. My colleagues are asking me if I smoke :/

Offline Hordak

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 05:42:47 »
Well, you could always paint spray the HHKB. Mhmm, a black powder coating would be nice.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 06:12:05 »
The Pro1 is made in 2005, and yes the yellowing bothers me a bit. My colleagues are asking me if I smoke :/

2005, so it has been in use for a good long while. My experience has always been the same, especially if it sits somewhere even remotely close to sunlight coming in from the window. But the yellowing on the case seems so consistent that it almost look like it just has a new color rather than shows discoloration.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 06:14:18 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 06:14:38 »
Just say the keyboard has developed a "rich patina."  :cool:

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 06:27:56 »
The yellowing is actually verry even but quite ugly tho.
You can se the difference clearly on the underside of it, some guys suggested me to retr0bright it, but I think it is much easyer to repaint it.
I also think that the results of painting it would be nicer than just retr0bright it. It has a lot of crackles, dents, scratches all over the housing.
Now that I have more free time I seriously concidering to repaint it!

I'd like to keep the logo somehow, if I could only get my hands on one of those: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/photo/7865527
This would look absolutely insane!

I's order some new caps as well!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 10:59:00 »
Well, you could always paint spray the HHKB. Mhmm, a black powder coating would be nice.
I was thinking of Plasti-Dipping my Type-S when it comes.

That or put a vinyl wrap on it.

Anything to prevent UV from hitting the board at all!

Is this a good Idea? :-X
null

Offline Hordak

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 11:38:22 »
I have no idea. Personally, I don't like shiny surfaces and I don't think that I have the necessary skill to apply a vinyl film evenly. Anyway, it can't be that expensive to powder coat the HHKB as it's so small (if that is even possible with the plastic).

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 12:05:10 »
plasti dip is actually a verry nice Idea! But I read that it is verry sensitive to scratches :/
First I need to get my hands on a can to try it out on some plastic sheets.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:11:49 »
plasti dip is actually a verry nice Idea! But I read that it is verry sensitive to scratches :/
First I need to get my hands on a can to try it out on some plastic sheets.
I just searched around for a couple minutes and saw that there is a Plasti Dip protective spray available to add scratch and UV protection to Plasti Dipped surfaces. Not sure how well it really works though and it is expensive (costs 5 times as much as a single can of Plasti Dip)
null

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:30:01 »
What's the advantage of plasti dip over regular ol' spray paint?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:49:30 »
What's the advantage of plasti dip over regular ol' spray paint?

Plastidip isn't permanent (you can just peel it off) and you wouldn't have to sand down the case to apply it evenly which means your case would remain intact underneath the coating.

Negatives to Plasti-dip are that it's more prone to scratching unless you coat it with some sort of clear coat. I've never used the stuff before but apparently the feel of Plastidip is rubbery (again unless you coat it).
null

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:28:45 »

I thought it was really cool. I would consider it a badge of honor.
87u || Poker 2

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:45:10 »
I have something like that in plan :)