Author Topic: HiFi Streaming Service finally in the US  (Read 1463 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

HiFi Streaming Service finally in the US
« on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 19:51:01 »
WiMP music, a HiFi Streaming service has finally come the the US! Albeit under the moniker Tidal Music.

It's pricier than Spotify ($20 / mo instead of $10 / mo) and I haven't had a chance to compare catalogs, but the very first band I wanted to hear, The Casual Lust, came right up. I notice a reasonable improvement over Spotify's high quality settings. I've yet to decide whether I use my meager "HiFi" stack frequently enough to justify paying twice as much for streaming music. But there's gotta be some of you peeps to whom this is interesting.

http://tidalhifi.com/us

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: HiFi Streaming Service finally in the US
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 23:21:29 »
Decided that after the last hi-def streaming service I enjoyed died with little to no warning that paying for music subs is silly, and I've massed a huge collection of lossless music legitimately for a bit more than it would cost to subscribe.  Even though I can not listen to as much music... nobody can take it away by going bankrupt or by going  a different direction with the company.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 23:44:18 »
Decided that after the last hi-def streaming service I enjoyed died with little to no warning that paying for music subs is silly, and I've massed a huge collection of lossless music legitimately for a bit more than it would cost to subscribe.  Even though I can not listen to as much music... nobody can take it away by going bankrupt or by going  a different direction with the company.

Alas poor Mog, I knew thee well.

Offline iri

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 04:52:00 »
please define hifi.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 13:22:29 »
please define hifi.

Lossless streaming on their highest quality.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:18:14 »

$20/m is a significant investment in the long run.
That's 2 CDs at $10 each per month and unless you're always buying new CDs they're likely to be cheaper (or better yet buy them in bulk in garage sales and such)

If you get yourself 4 CDs per month at the same price that's 48 CDs per year which is a fair selection of music in lossless format that you own and can rip.

Anyway to each their own.

Some people like having a larger catalogue available for mobile streaming than they can carry on the mobile storage