Author Topic: Hello everyone! IBM Model M / buckling spring fan here.  (Read 2784 times)

Offline onetoomanytoo

Hello everyone! IBM Model M / buckling spring fan here.
« on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 01:19:47 »
I've been an owner/user of two Model M's (Space Saver and a black model M13). This is my first time in a keyboard forum such as this. :eek:

Not sure if this is where I should ask, but are there any threads to learn more about customizing or swapping Model M caps? I read through the keyboard key cap subforum but got swamped because I'm unsure if any of the aftermarket caps can work on a Model M.

Does any aftermarket cap work or are there a specific type for Model Ms? Because I think from previous research some caps are 1-piece and some are 2-piece so I'm not sure if any aftermarket cap can fit on both the space saver and M13.

I was thinking about starting out with the red/green/blue Shift, Ctrl, Alt and maybe a red Esc key for my space saver and/or M13. Any recommendations on where to start? Thank you all.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Hello everyone! IBM Model M / buckling spring fan here.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 08:16:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Most Model F and Model M key caps are interchangeable essentially (IBM, Lexmark, Unicomp).  There are a few artisan caps designed for buckling spring stems (some Click Clacks for example); but generally there isn't much in the way of mass produced 3rd party caps for BS keys.

Both your M13 and space saver use 'normal' BS keys/caps.  Most BS keys are two piece, meaning they have a stem and cap on top, though some are one piece, like most of the keys that are more than 1.5x in width.

Example:

As far as colored modifiers, the best source for those is Unicomp (they still manufacture new Model Ms today).  They have printed and unprinted RGB Shift/Ctrl/Alt modifiers available in their webstore.  If you open a support ticket with them for custom colors / widths / legends, they will normally accommodate.\

Again, welcome to Geekhack.  I am a BS fan myself - as are many others here.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:16:18 »
welcome to GH!

I, too, have been on the lookout for good aftermarket BS keycaps. As of this moment, the best option is to buy keycaps from Unicomp or ClickeyKeyboards. And if you want them colored, you can dye them! If you google (ibm dyeing pbt), you'll see several discussions about this.

I know that matt3o has been busy trying to get a MX stem on BS. If this works out, we will soon have a way of adding any MX compatible caps. I think there are a couple of caveats though, like the right shift key has been mentioned.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:00:47 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

I went to my local thrift shop today only to be asked to leave since it was after store-hours. I really wanna find one an IBM someday x.x
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:03:21 »
I've been an owner/user of two Model M's (Space Saver and a black model M13). This is my first time in a keyboard forum such as this. :eek:
Have you ever tried a Model F? It’ll flip your world upside-down!

Offline onetoomanytoo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:00:23 »
Thanks for the reply guys! It was very welcoming. Just a few days on this forum and some PMs to other SSK owners I was able to learn a lot (including the replies here). Right now I'm happy with my current keyboards, but will learn more about that model F. Now I'm off to buy some BS caps! Thanks again guys!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 05:47:39 »
Welcome to GH!

You should take a nice pic of your SSK and join this awesome club on gh: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34712.0

:)