Author Topic: CM Quickfire TK, MX Browns, unpleasant experiences  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Taurusko

CM Quickfire TK, MX Browns, unpleasant experiences
« on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 08:59:52 »
First of all - hello community of geekhack ! :)
This post will be half introduction of me and half explanation of my problem. There will be TL;DR at the end, don't worry.

The Past
My first experience with keyboards was a pretty white Chicony rubberdome for a few bucks. It is probably still working, and IMO, it is the best rubberdome that I've ever used. After more than ten years of switching between Chic and BAD notebook scissors, I've decided to get myself a good keyboard. Then an old IBM Model M (93', ISO, PS/2) came to my hands and I fell in love. Except my dormitory neighbours were not so happy. After year+ and massive research on the internet (I'm maniac when it comes to buying something), I found a friend for my old Model M, but that is the next chapter...

The Present
Below my hands is a shiny new CoolerMaster Quickfire TK (numpad + arrow keys combo) with Cherry MX Browns. I need the tactile bump and Clears were not available. But after a few days I am VERY tempted to throw this board out of the window and return to Model M. It is my first experience with Cherries, so I may be doing something wrong. That is why I write all of this, in hope that someone will explain to me if it's normal, or if this board is broken.
1. Missing keys. My writing style is quite light. I don't bottom out very hardly, but I make sure that the key goes through the tactile bump (and hopefuly actuation point). Still, there are times when the keyboard just doesn't recognize the keys that I press all the way down. I can't tell for sure when it happens, but e.g. many times, when I start typing password to unlock the PC from screensaver, the first keypress is not processed.
2. Locking keys. Other VERY annoying thing happens when some key gets "stuck". Not mechanically, but the board keeps sending the signal until I press it again. Kinda like when my PS/2->USB adapter on Model M gets drunk and wobbly and keeps repeating keystrokes. Tried different USB ports on my laptop, still the same.
3. This is very minor, but I was surprised that Cherries are ... rough? Their travel is not as smooth as I expected. Do they "burn in", or something? It isn't bad, just ... unexpected, regarding their fame and price.

The Future
I am sad that this relationship between me and my Quickfire isn't going well. Many keyboards spark my attention, especially those 60% with MX Clears (Duck Shine Mini with ISO layout - pure love). If all boards behave like mine, well ... I will probably get back to rubberdomes.

TL;DR
CM Quickfire TK with Browns keeps missing keypresses, sometimes repeats keypresses until pressed again and I'm surprised that Cherries are rougher than I expected. First time mech. keyboard user, so I don't know if it's only me, or if it's faulty product.

Thank you for replies and suggestions !
Looking for the impossible - 60-75% 'board with Clears and ISO

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CM Quickfire TK, MX Browns, unpleasant experiences
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:02:24 »
Sounds like you have a faulty board. I'd send it back.

And yes, many new boards may have a break in period. I actually think that MX Reds and Browns are the worst MX switches though so I may be the wrong person to ask about MX Browns.

Also? Welcome to Geekhack! :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:05:54 »
Yeah, most likely some soldering issues or something. The general consensus on browns is that they lack a lot of the "bump" that clears have. If you don't absolutely have to have the numpad, KUL's are some of the best stock boards and come in clears.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Taurusko

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:25:09 »
Thanks guys!
Fortunately, the warranty is still in place. Unfortunately for my neighbours, I'm switching to buckling springs *evil face*

Next project: Tinkering with keyboard layout (CapsLock <-> Control is awesome!). The challenge is to comprehend the XKB system and implement the crazy SpaceFN functionality.

I should make another thread for this ... but do you know about any 60-75% keyboards with MX Clears and ISO layout ? Backlight is not important, programmability is very welcomed.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:26:29 »
The have the Poker with clears on Massdrop right now

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:33:56 »

Not in ISO layout.

Offline Taurusko

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:41:13 »
There are two options....
Either Ducky makes their Shine Mini in Clears (they have ISO layouts), or there will be enough people for KBT to make Poker with ISO+Clears (they had a survey somewhere with various options).

Or... someone surprises us :)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:42:45 »
Thanks guys!
Fortunately, the warranty is still in place. Unfortunately for my neighbours, I'm switching to buckling springs *evil face*

Next project: Tinkering with keyboard layout (CapsLock <-> Control is awesome!). The challenge is to comprehend the XKB system and implement the crazy SpaceFN functionality.

I should make another thread for this ... but do you know about any 60-75% keyboards with MX Clears and ISO layout ? Backlight is not important, programmability is very welcomed.

Only option for TKL ISO mx clear out of the box , is the WASD v2 .

For lower size , you'll need an iron solder .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Taurusko

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 09:56:25 »
Only option for TKL ISO mx clear out of the box , is the WASD v2 .

For lower size , you'll need an iron solder .

Hmmm..... I forgot about it. That is a very interesting board. Maybe, when the Clear stock comes, I'll switch my Quickfire for a WASD.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 10:37:52 »

Not in ISO layout.
oh yeah, forgot to look at the location

Offline Taurusko

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:46:30 »
UPDATE:

Thank you for helping. It was definitelly a faulty board (or some kind of hardware based problem).
I brought the keyboard to the shop and they provided a free replacement (the same QF TK with Brownies). I could pick it up the next day, but I was too busy and had to work on a project. Model M saved the week, and it was again a pleasant experience to punch those little bucklings.
Today, I finally managed to get the replacement. This one is fine (so far, no faults), except a few badly printed keys. My OCD will have to ignore this, atleast for now. Maybe I'll get some shiny new keycaps (looking at you, "Deep Space"  ;) )

Is there a way to make the spacebar quieter? It isn't as loud as Model M, but still kinda breaks the "humming silence of MX Browns". The modifiers are ok, just the spacebar.

Offline Taurusko

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 18:31:54 »
Guys ...
It happenned again. And again. "Locked" keys that think they are held down. Unresponsive keys that just didn't work the first time I press them.
It is getting weird. I don't think that my typing style is bad (I'm trying to type very lightly, quietly), or that the switches are mechanically broken.
The first days that I had the new board home (the replacement for the old one), I didn't noticed any problems. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, the keyboard got through the same procedure as the first time:
1. Plug it into notebook (USB 2.0)
2. Use it in Linux (Crunchbang - Debian Wheezy)
3. Do some magic in XKB, mostly remapping keys, playing with levels, overlays, LEDs, etc.
4. Here and there a little probelm arises - repeating key, no response from the key on the first press...
5. Whining on the geekhack forums, hoping somebody has an idea....

When I will have some time to spare outside of Linux, I'll try the board under Windows 7. Maybe the XKB got drunk, or the system itself has some problems.