Author Topic: Any suggestion on a good gel wrist rest?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Any suggestion on a good gel wrist rest?
« on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 08:37:30 »
as per title. I've used crappy ones before, but my current one is good. Then I just had to burn it with a soldering iron (by accident) causing the gel to leak out. And then I discovered that they don't sell these things anymore so I'll need mail order.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Tiramisuu

Re: Any suggestion on a good gel wrist rest?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:38:55 »
I often wonder about wrist rests and ergonomics.
Keeping my wrists straight and my touch light would be difficult when leaning them on something
Setting the armrests on my chair seems the more rational adjustment to a fixed desk height
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 18:36:30 »
If they're soft, I doubt the CTS risk is a big deal; hard surface would be a different story though. I'm more concerned about horizontal reaching (especially bending wrists and something along the lines of the "vi Esc key syndrome"). That's why I use one only for navigating documents, but not typing.

I've had that gellish semi-transparent Kensington one, but it felt a bit sticky. Cloth surface is a big deal for me. Unfortunately, stiffness of these mostly no-name rests (there are dozens on Amazon) is hit-or-miss… I've used some super-soft and some quite hard. Another issue is that they're mostly sized for ordinary ~104key keyboards.

I'm a happy convert to Grifiti foam pads (nylon surface on top).

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 20:50:59 »
If they're soft, I doubt the CTS risk is a big deal; hard surface would be a different story though. I'm more concerned about horizontal reaching (especially bending wrists and something along the lines of the "vi Esc key syndrome"). That's why I use one only for navigating documents, but not typing.

I've had that gellish semi-transparent Kensington one, but it felt a bit sticky. Cloth surface is a big deal for me. Unfortunately, stiffness of these mostly no-name rests (there are dozens on Amazon) is hit-or-miss… I've used some super-soft and some quite hard. Another issue is that they're mostly sized for ordinary ~104key keyboards.

I'm a happy convert to Grifiti foam pads (nylon surface on top).

Nah, I'm looking for gel ones not foam. And yes, the reason why I even want to ask about something as mundane as a gel rest, is because of the many hits and misses that exist. I bought mine as a mid priced Chinese made aka unbranded rest and like it, but before that were several other Chinese made unbranded ones that I did not like. The big US brands I have never tried before, and I can't get my same Chinese one anymore. If I'm going to incur costs to ship from abroad I want a really good one that anyone who uses will be converted to.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 05:05:52 »
AFAIK about the only one that is always the same is the semi-transparent Kensington, but there's no cloth on the surface. The rest are inconsistent rebrands; you can find the same looking rests from Belkin, Fellowes,  3M and several companies I've never heard of before, but they don't get the same reviews… For example, my very soft one with a solid plastic base was sold as 3M at some point, but much stiffer.