Author Topic: IBM model m black label-20 bucks!  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Elocutive

LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM model m black label-20 bucks!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:35:50 »
I saw those. They look like 1390120 variants with no LEDs.

What are the chances that they are terminal boards?

Those are square metal badge, not black labels, right?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:20:48 »

I'd call them silver labels to keep consistency with what others (and ClickyKeyboards) call them, but I've noticed a bunch of random, potentially confusing terms being passed around recently.

These are almost certainly terminal boards. They have a fixed cable and that's basically all you need to look for on a silver label to determine if it is a terminal board.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:55:51 »

I'd call them silver labels to keep consistency with what others (and ClickyKeyboards) call them, but I've noticed a bunch of random, potentially confusing terms being passed around recently.

(Silver) (square) metal badge is easy enough, and so is "blue" label.

The other one, (black) aka (white) aka (gray) aka (beige) label that most of them have is the confusing one.

In my opinion, "black" label should be reserved for the actual black labels on the industrials, but most people call the standard 1987-92 labels "black"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:30:23 »

My 1986 M is a 1390636, completely identical to this board. It is a terminal model, 5-pin DIN.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:37:26 »

As far as I know, you can tell which are terminal boards because they have the extra key on the tenkey (+ is split into two). I'm not aware of any PC-compatible keyboards that did that.

so: pretty good chance they are not PC compatible.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 01:05:52 »

As far as I know, you can tell which are terminal boards because they have the extra key on the tenkey (+ is split into two). I'm not aware of any PC-compatible keyboards that did that.

BUT it should still be largely the same thing, right? If you take a Soarer flashed arduino and pull out the ribbon cable connector and hook up to teensy instead, Soarer will do his magic and keyboard will also be magically plug and play for USB too? And if you run just 3 more cables for the LEDs, you will also get LED support?

For that kind of price I am willing to throw in some cash to find out. Dorkvader, interested? I want a keyboard with one permanently on LED though. Would like to have my slow blink LED
always flashing so that keyboard looks as though it is breathing whenever it is connected.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:50:01 »

BUT it should still be largely the same thing, right? If you take a Soarer flashed arduino and pull out the ribbon cable connector and hook up to teensy instead, Soarer will do his magic and keyboard will also be magically plug and play for USB too? And if you run just 3 more cables for the LEDs, you will also get LED support?

For that kind of price I am willing to throw in some cash to find out. Dorkvader, interested? I want a keyboard with one permanently on LED though. Would like to have my slow blink LED
always flashing so that keyboard looks as though it is breathing whenever it is connected.
Yep, just wire it up and soarer a teensy and it'll work. Converting a terminal or PS/2 model M is the same.

If you want LED, you will have to cut holes in the case or have an external box for the LEDs. I'm not sure if soarer supports a slow blink LED, but you could probably "program" some hardware to do that (combine 2 sine waves of voltage into one transistor powering the LED array)