Author Topic: ErgoDox - Both hands stop working when right hand is plugged in (swapped sides)  (Read 1965 times)

Offline snowe

I've finished both sides of my ergo (left side has the mini usb) and the left hand works perfectly fine when the trrs cable is not connected to the right half. As soon as I plug in the right half though, the whole keyboard stops working. did I miss something? Everything looks good to me, so I can't figure it out.

I forgot to mention, I'm getting 2.5v on both sides of the TRRS connector, my I/O Expander has the little notch facing toward the TRRS connecto, and all of my diodes have the black line for the cathode facing the square pads. I don't see anything that can be wrong.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:27:02 by snowe »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Need PCB photo of the hand with the MCP23018 (RH for you I guess)

I think the chip may be upside down, causing the teensy to freak out when its plugged in

Offline snowe

Need PCB photo of the hand with the MCP23018 (RH for you I guess)

I think the chip may be upside down, causing the teensy to freak out when its plugged in

I actually think I figured it out, though I won't know for a few days. I didn't realize audio cables and TRRS connectors were different. I called every electronics store in my area and not a single one knew/had one in stock. I even called stores in a nearby city and they didn't have any either. I'm gonna have to order from Amazon unless I can find some sort of electronics somewhere that might have the connectors. I already desoldered the old MCP23018 and I haven't soldered a new one in yet (I thought it was the problem, but then realized that the left hand stopped working as soon as I plugged the cable in even if it wasn't connected to the right hand).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
oh yeah if you used a TRS cable instead of a TRRS cable that would cause your issue for sure. I just assumed you received one in the massdrop GB.

They aren't "rare" but I wouldn't expect to be able to find one locally.

Offline snowe

oh yeah if you used a TRS cable instead of a TRRS cable that would cause your issue for sure. I just assumed you received one in the massdrop GB.

They aren't "rare" but I wouldn't expect to be able to find one locally.

Nah I bought all the parts from different sources. Thought I could save money that way, turns out forgetting items is expensive (static shipping costs from digikey). :\

Offline snowe

Ok so I've got the cable finally, but no matter which firmware I compile the ergodox doesn't respond when I flash it. I've tried straight from ben's git repo, and that doesn't work. The precompiled binaries work just fine though. I'm trying to compile on Ubuntu 64bit

Offline OldDataHands

Ok so I've got the cable finally, but no matter which firmware I compile the ergodox doesn't respond when I flash it. I've tried straight from ben's git repo, and that doesn't work. The precompiled binaries work just fine though. I'm trying to compile on Ubuntu 64bit

FWIW: my 64-bit Ubuntu environment built the firmware without issue...

Offline snowe

FWIW: my 64-bit Ubuntu environment built the firmware without issue...

looks like I had to use the second revision of ben's firmware. It compiled and I'm using my new keyboard :)!