Author Topic: HHKB spacebar vs RF 87U spacebar: sharp edges  (Read 1498 times)

Offline crankydillo

HHKB spacebar vs RF 87U spacebar: sharp edges
« on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:28:45 »
Hey all,

After many happy years with Rosewill browns at work and Rosewill blues at home, I decided to try a Realforce 87U 45g for the TKL and Topre experience.  I like the Realforce quite a bit; however, I can't say that I love it, because I find the spacebar edge to be too sharp.  I have flipped it several times; however, the feel is just a bit off, and I dislike the look.  Lastly, I regret getting the dark version and have a slight suspicion that I'd prefer 55g.

Anyhow, that brings me to my main question.  Does anyone know if the HHKB spacebar feels duller (less sharp) than the 87U TKL?  I'm guessing they feel the same since EK sells the same spacebar for Realforce and HHKB.  Also, I've read that the HHKB 45g feels a little stiffer than Realforce's 45g.  If anyone thinks that's not true, please let me know.

I'm having a really tough time choosing between a HHKB and a Kul 87 clears.  I'm a vim/CLI zealot and feel like I'd adjust to the HHKB's layout pretty quick; however, that sharp edge spacebar is giving me a lot of pause.  I've been typing on the Realforce for about 2 months, and I often think about the spacebar edge.  However, I absolutely love the HHKB's look.

Many thanks!

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Re: HHKB spacebar vs RF 87U spacebar: sharp edges
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:38:53 »
The sharp space bar just sucks!!    I bevel the edge on my space bars with my model trimmer and then I polish and re texturize the space bar and it's MUCH better.   Will post some pics soon ......

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:44:59 »
Flip it?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline crankydillo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:53:26 »
The sharp space bar just sucks!!    I bevel the edge on my space bars with my model trimmer and then I polish and re texturize the space bar and it's MUCH better.   Will post some pics soon ......

I wish I had your dedication, but I doubt I'll do this.  However, if you could get a little more descriptive with the process, I might give it a go.

Flip it?

I've flipped my RF about 5 times, but I keep going back to the original.  When flipped, it just feels a little too weird.  Plus, I don't like the look.  As an aside, your posts about the Kul squeaking is what got me back on the HHKB.

For either of you, do you have personal experience with the HHKB?  Especially you skcheng, when you say 'sharp...sucks' is that a general statement or a HHKB reference?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:12:01 »
Couldn't stand the HHKB's layout

Traded it for my RF
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline crankydillo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 06:02:30 »
Got a HHKB.  Initial thoughts:
  • feels better than my 45g RF
  • the layout will work well for me, since I spend most of my day in a terminal

Of course, at +$200 you find ways to like things:)

Offline crankydillo

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 06:04:05 »
Just to wrap this up, I did solve the RF spacebar edge problem by removing the spring.  I'm betting that + 55g would have kept me happy for quite a while.