Author Topic: Compendium of Speed (Learn to type at least 135wpm) Guaranteed-!!  (Read 146859 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
WARNING,  by following this guide, you may type too fast and break your keyboard..

Tp4 is not responsible for broken keyboard due to Extreme Speed..

Feel Free to PM me or post in this thread, if you need clarification on how to initialize any key-elements written berow.

Also, if you have any tips or tricks not described here or in-addition to what is here, post and I will add and credit.

Basic:

-Keep your hands WARM-

--- Greatly limbers up movement

-Cut your nails very carefully.-

--- Exposed finger tips help you feel the vibrations and help you control timing.

--- Remove the nail close to the hyponychium, but do not cut any further..

--- This can be better achieved with a nail-file,  however unless you got a recital coming, it's not really necessary... just clip it with due-diligence.

-Floating is a myth-.

--- You'll hear some noobies telling you to hover your keystroke around 2mm.. This act will slow you down significantly, and also requires an extra level of restraint-control while offering no benefit..

--- always hit the bottom of the keystroke, no mercy..

-Right Space-

--- Only use your right thumb for the space bar

--- The reason behind this is that the left hand letters (on qwerty) is used significantly more in english words.. allocation of the space bar to the-right-thumb balances the total key-load more evenly between fingers

Moderate:

-Finger Home position-

--- The fingers DO NOT rest naturally on asdfjkl;,  it actually rests naturally on awefjio;

--- So the default home position should instead be a-w-e-f-j-i-o-;

--- A typical misunderstanding of the Home position is that the finger must return to home position after every key strike..   This is certainly NOT correct.. The fingers can stay as close or as far away from the home-position as Necessary to Facilitate successive keystrokes.

-Rhythm Emotion-

--- Recognize that speed-typing does NOT employ perfectly-even rhythm

--- If you take any string of text, the Character output per second is not constant.  You can force yourself to make it constant.. but this will cause you to lose speed.

-Rebound control-

--- Apply maximum acceleration on downstroke, but DO NOT HOLD!!

--- The duration of applied force should end right before the bottom of the keystroke.. this will prevent Holding, which is useless and will conflict with the natural rebound of the extreme-strike force ---

--- Applied force should be explosive and definitive, but very very short in duration..

--- It's exactly like playing the drums..  watch this video on the rebound stroke..
---

--- --- From your wrist and on is the drum stick, and your wrist joint is the fulcrum..     

-Grip Space-

--- On a normal space bar, MX or Topre, they are reversible. you can turn it 180 degrees

--- Doing so will allow you to use what's known as the Grip-space technique.

--- Instead of lifting your thumb or hand to hit the space bar, you merely grip your thumb and flick it upwards. Since the space bar is now sloped away from you it will meet your grip motion perfectly. 

--- This is a huge time saver when you consider how often the space bar is required, and it is also more Ergonomic to use space this way..

--- --- This technique is not applicable to all keyboards, where the space bar is not-reversible

-Keytimacy-

Many people are afraid of their keyboards, there's this paper thin psychological barrier where they believe hitting the wrong key will make their computer blow up. Even if they know this is not true, there may still be a lingering impression inherited from when they were beginners...

So, to intimate our connection with the machine.. Click onto a blank desktop and just TOUCH the keys.. Hit them one at a time, or all over, don't worry about breaking something.. You won't..

Really Smother those keys, really feel them depress under the hand.. get to know it.. feel the tension wash away. The years of holding back has finally come to an end.

weiwoipegpwaogh;wiye,bewojurowieujr3op28ruw23ioeurfw23i8pw2oi8fepw2,oi

Advanced:

-Freedom exercise-

Symptoms:

--- You might not be used to moving certain fingers independently of each other.. For example, babies and young children tend to grab at things with their entire hand..

--- Some of ya'll might type with your pinky and ring finger in the air, afraid that they'll hit the keys beneath.------ THEY WON'T, the key's spring force is enough to hold the weight of your fingers laid across them.. and if you hit the wrong key, electricity will not shoot out of the keyboard and kill you.. not before skynet anyway.. <i mention this because part of the tense-finger-reservation is psychological>

--- To practice finger-freedom.. relax you entire hand.. raise the ONE necessary finger and control JUST that finger to hit the intended key.. without any motion or twitching in any of the other fingers. You have to make it a point to control this finger independently, it may be a completely new skill for some when it involves the middle-ring-and pinky..

--- you can also practice transition patterns independent of letters..

--- on a flat space, wrist touching, tap the pinky then ring then middle.. etc you can make your own exercise, the key takeaway is to move all those fingers as independently of the others as possible..

-Wrist Rolls:-

--- example 1, typing " aced ".. 

--- --- You don't lift your fingers for both "a" and "c"  you keep your pinky and pointer finger at about the same height, and Roll your wrist from the outside-in.

--- Rolling " a " into " c "

--- example 2, typing " point "..   

--- Roll all of " p " " o " " i " "n"  in one motion from outside in.

-Glissando-

--- Glissando on a computer keyboard can only go from top down in a column fashion.. but it's a good tool to have when you're pushing the absolute limit..

--- It requires hitting two or three keys with the middle-of-the-last-segment of the finger rather than the tip of the finger.. so for words that end in -ed- or -ik- or -ol-, etc...

--- --- You glide from the top key down to the bottom key in a single motion rather than picking up your finger to hit the two keys separately.

-Burst Memory-

Most people are familiar with the concept of Muscle-memory..

People who can touch-type, essentially have motion-guided-memory of where each individual key is..

--- Burst-Memory works in the same way.. except it gets over certain latency-timing hurdles..

--- For example.. the word "Compendium",  If you don't know how to spell it and have to parse it out..  Com,  Pen,  Dium..   That is quite slow, essentially you're feeling out what is 3 separate words with small gaps in between..

But, what if you have muscle-memory of the entire word..   This creates 2 separate speedups.. 

--- Speed up 1 is through lowering the latency between each key transitions, if periods represented slight delay, it would be like this.

-- No muscle memory of entire word

c.. o.. m.... p.. e.. n.... d.. i.. u.. m..

-- With memory of entire word

c. o. m. p. e. n. d. i. u. m..

--- Speed up 2 is Reliability..  muscle memory of the entire word is far more reliable than parsing from 3 separate compositions..

xxx..  xxx.. xxxx..   Each of these will be a point of failure..

Complete memory--  xxxxxxxxxx..   Reduced points of failure.. and reduced potential correction time = speed up..

Advanced +

-EX Glissando..-

This should only be attempted by highly experienced typists. and even then, it's not very useful.

Here you're flicking upwards in the column using your nail.. obviously this will only be faster if the flick happens after a letter typed by the opposite hand

For example " adjudicate ", you type "a" "d" with the left hand, before you complete "d",  buffer-curl your right-pointer-finger above "j" ..  Once you completed d, flick down-upwards with your pointer-finger from "j" to "u" 

again.. VERY niche, but real technique..

-Custom layout-

--- things such as modifying placement of Right shift..   Under normal circumstances you should only use the Left-Shift.. the Right shift is too far to reach and requires a huge wrist turn if you don't lift your hand.. Both motions are time consuming.. So stick with the Left-shift unless you decide to custom-map.

-Ergonomic considerations-

--- the more refined your layout and ergonomic situation becomes, the more you'll be able to practice without tiring or getting hindered by RSI (repetitive stress injury)..

--- It's a self-fulfilling prophecy in becoming faster..

--- Consider getting an ergodox, or that new budget ergodox from HongKong..

-General weight lifting..-

Core and upper-body mainly..

This helps improve muscle control, and adds stability to the base of your body, of which to type is to push against..

I've yet to find a need for LEG-work when it comes to typing .. but it may give you more lower mass for increased leverage.

Happy Typing !

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Compendium of Speed-Tips.. GH scrubs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 11:40:10 »
Here's a photo, so ya'll don't think I'm a nutter who's making it all up..

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:37:06 »
Well, this is, comprehensive...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:38:53 »

That profile picture is unacceptable HWood

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:51:51 »

That profile picture is unacceptable HWood
I do appreciate that you know
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 16:52:34 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:26:08 »
Added: under Advance

"Burst Memory"

So most people are probably familiar with the concept of Muscle-memory..

People who can touch-type, essentially have motion-guided-memory of where each individual key is..

Burst-Memory works in the same way.. except it gets over certain latency-timing hurdles..

For example.. the word "Compendium",  If you don't know how to spell it and have to parse it out  Com,  Pen,  Dium..   That is quite slow, essentially you're feeling out what is 3 separate words with small gaps in between..

But, what if you have muscle-memory of the entire word..   This creates 2 separate speedups.. 

--- Speed up 1 is lowering the latency between each key transitions, if periods represented slight delay, it would be like this.

-- No muscle memory of entire word
c.. o.. m.... p.. e.. n.... d.. i.. u.. m..

-- With memory of entire word

c. o. m. p. e. n. d. i. u. m..

--- Speed up 2

Reliability..  muscle memory of the entire word is far more reliable than parsing from 3 separate compositions..

xxx..  xxx.. xxxx..   Each of these will be a point of failure..

xxxxxxxxxx..   Reduced points of failure.. reduced potential correction time = speed up..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:28:48 »
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) 10/10

"I've yet to find a need for LEG work when it comes to typing ..

This helps improve muscle control, and adds stability to the base of your body, of which to type is to push against.. " - TP
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:34:04 by digi »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:32:52 »
TL;DR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:47:26 »
TL;DR

I get it.. Most people on GH are just in it for the shopping, and keyboards are overall an inexpensive -addition- to their compulsive --get-- addiction..

-- Shopping addiction isn't a bad thing.. I'm not saying that.. it's the sustenance of consumption-economics..

-- But one should realize that the shopping is rather an empty experience unless the items can be put to active use..

-- Notice the collector's dilemma, their job is never over, not because they need or even want the things they buy..  They're COMPELLED to feel that high whenever a new BOX shows up at their door..  Then it's over.. and the emptiness continues..

-- I am offering people the After-story of shopping..

-- Joey compulsively buys a mechanical keyboard.. He uses it, FINDS GOD through rigorous practice, Achieves transcendental programming ability.. Uses said powers for evil.. World Domination..

-- Meanwhile Tom has a **** ton of boxes in his house.. He can't type worth a damn.. he has not learned any new skills. Tom works at the same $10/hr job for the rest of his life converting it into more un-useful boxes..  Tom has bought many books too, but he's never read them..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Compendium of Speed (Learn to type at least 135wpm) Guaranteed-!!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 05:46:42 »
I use my right index finger to hit my space bar
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:26:46 »
I use my right index finger to hit my space bar

Ah... yes..  this is more common than you may think..  I used to go to the library in college to pick up girls.. and I've actually seen quite a few do this..

At the time, I posited that.... It might be associated with long nails, or nail painting regimen, because since they want to avoid damaging their paint-jobs, they don't want to scratch the side of their thumb..

In terms of Productivity.. we've here at GH established that true average output of pure bull****ting (Tp4's #6th most greatest skill..)  is around 35wpm of creative content..

So.. if you're only going to need 35wpm on average, that mild level of key-proficiency can tolerate quite many non-optimal input policies..

But I myself believe that 1,  if you're gonna be around a damn keyboard all the time anyway, WHY NOT at least move forward.. 

If you really just gave it a go,  you'd see that using a new finger for a new key can be acclimated quite-quickly...  Within an hour if you keep at it..

There was a time, a year or two back during my TKL dayz, where I was making 2-3 key placement changes per week..  And I was within target WPM within each week.. so..... just try it out for yourself...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:32:34 »
The real trick to increasing speed is ditching qwerty and using something efficient like dvorak.  ^-^
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:51:52 »
The real trick to increasing speed is ditching qwerty and using something efficient like dvorak.  ^-^

Don't go there.. please Quinn.... LOL....

sigh...

The Dvorak improvements have not been rigorously tested.. I've got my hopes set on that new guy with his new key analysis thingie in ergonomics forum..

But overall.. Pushing WPM speed is like opening the Eight-Gates, in Naruto..

Gate of Opening 開門:  This is where the user develops basic muscle memory of keys.

Gate of Healing 休門: This is where the user learns adaptive pacing and fast corrections.

Gate of Life 生門: This is where the user begins to forget everything else and focus concentration on transcription and decoding the information in front of him.

Gate of Pain 傷門: this is where the user overcomes the slight mental discomfort when employing such intense focus..

Gate of Limit 杜門:  this is where the user overcomes all technical limits by initiating high level techniques from advanced and advanced +

Gate of View 景門:  I don't think I've achieved this myself, it is definitely beyond the 135wpm barrier... Linkbane has achieved this gate to my knowledge... if only ya'll didn't ban him... he could tell us about it.

Gate of Wonder 驚門: To my knowledge only about 10 people has achieved this.. Sean Wrona being one of them..

Gate of Death 死門: No one has died yet..  But it has been posited that 500WPM is possible when this final gate is breached... No one has done it.. if they have, they did not live to tell about it..  Some genius sacrificed himself in commitment or in err, we may never know..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:04:50 »
I'm pretty sure the only reason Dvorak increased my speed is I had to relearn to type so I did it correctly.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:07:41 »
I'm pretty sure the only reason Dvorak increased my speed is I had to relearn to type so I did it correctly.

I'm not against changing to dvorak at all..

My point is, we have to be slow and look at it objectively.. and not be hipster about it, where anything non-mainstream is COOL, let's all do that...

I too feel your speed-up is more due to the diligence you've put into relearning proper technique... Speed was your destiny, irrespective of layout..

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 10:09:46 »
This is the most impressive article I have ever seen written by TP.

My estimate of his IQ has gone up by 30%.

:p :thumb: :eek:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 10:14:43 »
This is the most impressive article I have ever seen written by TP.

My estimate of his IQ has gone up by 30%.

:p :thumb: :eek:

I am usually not so literal in expression..

If you couldn't follow the stoic profundity of my typical demeanor, it is only your-competence that comes into question.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:27:06 »
Here's a photo, so ya'll don't think I'm a nutter who's making it all up..

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 13:38:45 »
It's ok, I still think you're a nutter, even if you are not making anything up.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:17:44 »
Right now my biggest problem with speed is looking at the keys when I type. It's this horrible habit that I'm really struggling to break. At this point I believe my only solution is to go with a blank keyset making it a worthless effort.

I do notice that when I get a comfortable flow going without glancing at the keyboard my wpm increases by an average of 10 putting me up in the high 50 low 60 range.

I just did a quick typeracer and these are my results: 47 wpm / 92.5% Second try with less glancing: 57 wpm / 94.2%

I have a lot of habits to break if I plan on raising my speed and accuracy.

There are some things in here that I had not considered and plan on incorporating them into my half-hearted efforts.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:24:57 »

Right now my biggest problem with speed is looking at the keys when I type. It's this horrible habit that I'm really struggling to break. At this point I believe my only solution is to go with a blank keyset making it a worthless effort.

I do notice that when I get a comfortable flow going without glancing at the keyboard my wpm increases by an average of 10 putting me up in the high 50 low 60 range.

I just did a quick typeracer and these are my results: 47 wpm / 92.5% Second try with less glancing: 57 wpm / 94.2%

There are some things in here that I had not considered and plan on incorporating them into my half-hearted efforts.
I don't even know when I stopped looking, but sometimes I will quickly glance down just to make sure still, even though in test I only miss 1 or 2 words when I do miss. I don't type in a conventional way,  but how do you type?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:32:03 »

blank help a lot about the looking down habbits . You'll struggle at the begginnng but it's worth it.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 15:01:22 »

I don't even know when I stopped looking, but sometimes I will quickly glance down just to make sure still, even though in test I only miss 1 or 2 words when I do miss. I don't type in a conventional way,  but how do you type?

Thats a good question. I never really thought of my typing form or style. I think it would best be described as a mix of homerow and hunt and peck. That might be what causes me to look, losing my placement. As I'm typing this and paying attention to it I don't use my pinky or ring fingers. So I start in the home rown position and hunt and peck from there. I've been going about this so wrong for so long.

blank help a lot about the looking down habbits . You'll struggle at the begginnng but it's worth it.

Nice. I was looking at getting some blanks for my M from unicomp. Or I'll get soem from SP. Not sure yet but very soon.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 15:14:40 »
I've been thinking about doing this.
I started typing long before I realized that there was a 'correct' way to type so my fingers usually went all over the place. I've lately started to learn to touch type and even though I know where all the keys are it feels like my fingers don't so I look down at my keyboard way too often when typing. Maybe I'll get a blank keycap set some day.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 19:10:02 »
@ -FreeCopy-

Yes.. Blank keys are a Very good idea.. Because they prevent you from relying on the labels,  ontop of allowing you to VIEW you hands so you don't contort them into any uncomfortable position as you learn to touch type.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:14:00 »
I just tested myself and am horrified that my typing speed has slowed a lot. Admittedly this layout is less than 6 months old, but still, I'm not getting my speed in Qwerty anymore.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:05:22 »
I just tested myself and am horrified that my typing speed has slowed a lot. Admittedly this layout is less than 6 months old, but still, I'm not getting my speed in Qwerty anymore.

I was losing about 5% speed Per single key alteration back in the TKL days, when I was really feeling out where to put everything..

I went from 120 to ~95  after 5-6 key changes...  but it climbed back within 1.5 weeks with Active practice.. It also depends on the importance of a key you changed, for example if you changed " e " or " t "..  those would be pretty impactful vs " z " or " x ".

I'd imagine if you're just casually using the new layout day to day, it must take a bit longer to adapt.

I really think changing layouts is helpful, because it gets you to really think about why things are the way they are..   and to focus on the important things that matter, rather than merely playing barbie dress up like the other kids....

In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:51:51 »
I'm putting that in my sig.
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline Art of Payce

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:49:44 »
Hey tp4tissue,

Thanks for the write-up and passing on knowledge. Your ethos is truly a step above that of the typical lemmings in the keyboard arms race.

Do you have any citations or articles collected/bookmarked? Is there any worthwhile literature which helped you put together the compendium? I think the old typing guides on the web are generally good, but has there been anything particularly insightful for you? I'd like to research this in more detail.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:54:19 »
Don't forget.. don't have arthritis :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 15:22:12 »

this is another discussion hahaha..

But,  eat less salt.. sleep timely.. do slow weight bearing workouts.. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 15:29:33 »
Hey tp4tissue,

Thanks for the write-up and passing on knowledge. Your ethos is truly a step above that of the typical lemmings in the keyboard arms race.

Do you have any citations or articles collected/bookmarked? Is there any worthwhile literature which helped you put together the compendium? I think the old typing guides on the web are generally good, but has there been anything particularly insightful for you? I'd like to research this in more detail.

Um...

I've adapted some of the knowledge from piano..  because the they're very similar..

For example, burst memory,  from playing things like flight of the bumble bee arrg. rachm.   you would practice and memorize long strings of very fast notes, and you need it to be familiar to the point that the long string felt like a _single_ motion..

as for sources,  I've only had my experience and discussions here on GH as reference outside of piano.. 

You might be able to find some books on stenography, that's the only other field out there where transcription speed is of-the-essence.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 16:34:44 »

this is another discussion hahaha..

But,  eat less salt.. sleep timely.. do slow weight bearing workouts.. 

Dat atuoimmune disorder!  Psoriatic Arthritis is great.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 16:56:22 »
I was assuming that this was a thread about amphetamines.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 16:59:56 »
I was assuming that this was a thread about amphetamines.

/strokes beard... 

I wouldn't deny the relevance in this case, since amphet would almost certainly make you temporarily perform better at typing..

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 17:16:49 »
Prince of typing!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
I love Elzy

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 17:32:17 »
Walter White?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:10:58 »
This is.... pretty good, actually.

I have a couple things to point out, though. They're not against or for, just observations:

You should reduce the finger force a fair amount before bottom-out, like just before / after the tactile point / actuation point. Position is a derivative of velocity and velocity is a derivative of acceleration and acceleration is directly proportionate to force and mass. So you need to actually stop the force, to stop the acceleration and thus reduce the speed (the spring will help do this) before hitting the bottom out position.

I think you'll find that if you're applying the "rebound" stroke correctly you stop accelerating the finger pretty soon (before the actuation point) and let the momentum carry it through the stroke (and release the tension in the muscles so the finger is "loose"), so it's naturally slowed and rebounded by the switch mechanism. This is a good thing as it results in low shock and you're not applying force opposite to the rebound force. It also feels nice :)

The faster you type, the earlier you need to release the force, until you reach a speed where you've already stopped applying force before the tactile point. Interesting. I guess this is why switch type is largely irrelevent at really high speed. The rebound can feel different and thus you may still have a preference of a particular type, and you don't always type at such high speed, so switch type is still relevant overall, but at high speed... not so important. You don't rely on the tactility so much since you're aggressively assuming the switch will actuate. However, tactility can still help you type more accurately as it can act as a warning that a key has NOT registered if you've hit one a little too softly.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:23:31 »
TP4 wisdom distilled, drink it carefully, as the elixir of eternal youth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 08:54:09 »

I have a couple things to point out, though. They're not against or for, just observations:

You should reduce the finger force a fair amount before bottom-out, like just before / after the tactile point / actuation point. Position is a derivative of velocity and velocity is a derivative of acceleration and acceleration is directly proportionate to force and mass. So you need to actually stop the force, to stop the acceleration and thus reduce the speed (the spring will help do this) before hitting the bottom out position.

I think you'll find that if you're applying the "rebound" stroke correctly you stop accelerating the finger pretty soon (before the actuation point) and let the momentum carry it through the stroke (and release the tension in the muscles so the finger is "loose"), so it's naturally slowed and rebounded by the switch mechanism. This is a good thing as it results in low shock and you're not applying force opposite to the rebound force. It also feels nice :)

The faster you type, the earlier you need to release the force, until you reach a speed where you've already stopped applying force before the tactile point. Interesting. I guess this is why switch type is largely irrelevent at really high speed. The rebound can feel different and thus you may still have a preference of a particular type, and you don't always type at such high speed, so switch type is still relevant overall, but at high speed... not so important. You don't rely on the tactility so much since you're aggressively assuming the switch will actuate. However, tactility can still help you type more accurately as it can act as a warning that a key has NOT registered if you've hit one a little too softly.

Oobly.. beyond a certain speed..  you have NO SENSATION of anything around you.. The text in front of your eyes consumes your entire consciousness..

Watch the Sean Wrona Das keyboard video,  notice at the end of his typing run, he doesn't know what's going on, and his hands tremble a bit as he returns to reality..

This also happens at piano performances... so I know it first hand.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 12:38:27 »
Interesting read. The one thing I don't do and I'm not sure if I could ever make the switch is right hand space. I'm on an ergodox and have space on my left hand. I've used my left thumb for space my entire life. I never ever ever use my right thumb for space, even on regular boards. I have space and enter on the left cluster and backspace and enter on the right cluster.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:55:23 »
Interesting read. The one thing I don't do and I'm not sure if I could ever make the switch is right hand space. I'm on an ergodox and have space on my left hand. I've used my left thumb for space my entire life. I never ever ever use my right thumb for space, even on regular boards. I have space and enter on the left cluster and backspace and enter on the right cluster.

right hand space is easier to get used to than you think..

You'd get it within half an hour if you go slowly..

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 04:34:30 »
Instructions unclear, cut the keyboard in two.
Now typing 0WPM.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 11:21:31 »
Now typing 0WPM.

Did you bridge the gap with LOVE? it has to be 90% cutting and 10% love..

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 02:21:28 »

Oobly.. beyond a certain speed..  you have NO SENSATION of anything around you.. The text in front of your eyes consumes your entire consciousness..

Watch the Sean Wrona Das keyboard video,  notice at the end of his typing run, he doesn't know what's going on, and his hands tremble a bit as he returns to reality..

This also happens at piano performances... so I know it first hand.

Yup, everything moves to the subconscious level, but only if everything is familiar enough not to jar you out of this state, which is why I believe in giving your subconscious all the cues it needs to do this with less effort.

Now typing 0WPM.

Did you bridge the gap with LOVE? it has to be 90% cutting and 10% love..

Nah, 50% cutting, 20% love, 10% rewiring, 10% IO expander and 10% TRRS cable.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:50:28 »
Playing guitar is all you need to know.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:57:07 »
I really like this guide acctually, I already do a lot of the suggestions subconsciously without realizing it, and i flipped my spacebar because its a lot easier on heavier switches like the clears in my board for me.

My issue though at the moment is building muscle memory, its a pretty slow process for me, even though i know where all the keys are, and i know there position in relation to where my fingers are, i have a hard time translating that from my brain to my hand, though clears have helped me with that and my accuracy, right now i'm at 50 WPM average.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:07:04 »
I really love this. It reassures some of my "bad" habits that I thought were wrong by reading some post around GH, for example, the one related with no bottoming down.

Thank you to the OP for sharing this.