Author Topic: Cleaning keycaps with... denture cleaning tabs!  (Read 63510 times)

Offline slueth

Cleaning keycaps with... denture cleaning tabs!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 00:23:24 »
Soaking my Model F keys now, toothbrush has failed me.  We shall see the the results, unfortunately I didn't get before shots.

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 01:02:05 »
This method works great; it left few blue stains at the edges of the key caps but I was able to easily wipe them away with my finger. Thanks sixty!

Offline slueth

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 01:58:19 »
Wow came out beautifully :) Yay! No more nasty feeling keys.  Killed 99.9%(eh) of the germs and smells minty ^_^
Not the best pic but as you can see they are clean!
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 02:03:02 by slueth »

Offline Zet

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 11:14:32 »
this looks like something I will totally do when my keycaps key dirtey!

Offline Slarg

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 14:10:43 »
I fear it would wear off the lettering on my M13. Anyone tried it ? Otherwise great !
My previous method was hot water and a tad of laundry washing powder, soak and rub with fingers.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:24:16 »
Has anybody tried using denture cleaning tabs for cleaning a vintage Cherry corp. key with a transparent window for a LED?

I am afraid that something in the tabs could hurt the clear plastic, scratching it or making it cloudy, and would like to hear from someone else before I try it.

Offline .di

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 18:17:47 »
hi guys.. is it safe to clean keycaps with pad printing with this method..?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 18:19:35 »
It should be. Most pad printed keys have a coating as to not rub off. Some don't, but on those, you can scratch the letters off with your fingernail.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 15:22:09 »
Denture cleaning tabs works well for dirty Cherry MY switches, apparently. (not MX, MY!) However, the stabilizer bars turned black.

I am still wondering about windowed Cherry keys. (Cherry corp. original vintage double-shots). Will I be the first to try it?

Offline Konrad

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 19:04:55 »
It seems counterintuitive, but clear plastics can often be made clearer with careful use of extremely fine abrasives. Like 2000-grit sorta stuff ... it's how they polish up the plastics on car headlights. Ridiculously fine abrasives are used to polish lenses and gemstones, even when they're made from plastics. ;)

Toothpaste at the high end of the RDA scale is an excellent abrasive.  You can even use it to "sand out" scratches on audio CDs (not always effective on data CDs or DVDs).  But don't blame me if you haze up the surface, lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2011, 19:07:40 by Konrad »

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
Re: Cleaning keycaps with... denture cleaning tabs!
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:14:54 »
How many should i use?

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:19:50 »
How many should i use?
2 or 3 should be fine

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:13:32 »
How many should i use?
2 or 3 should be fine
That is for approximately how many caps? Im gonna do a spring clean for everything

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:49:58 »
How many should i use?
2 or 3 should be fine
That is for approximately how many caps? Im gonna do a spring clean for everything

I use 3 for a full (~108) keycap set.  Warm water.  Dissolve the tablets, the water turns blue.  Add keycaps and swish around slightly.  Leave to stand until the water i no longer blue (it should turn clear or brown, depending on how dirty the keycaps are).  I swich around a little again.  Then drain the water and spread the keycaps out to dry on an absorbent surface, such as newspaper.  I personally prefer to drain the used denture tab mixture after cleaning, refill with clean cold water and swish around a bit again, just to be sure.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:36:57 »
I use Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean my IBM keycaps.. works great.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:50:27 »

i'm not sure if it was Dawn, but I've had issues with dish soap leaving a residue.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:35:54 »

i'm not sure if it was Dawn, but I've had issues with dish soap leaving a residue.

Not with Dawn.  There's no residue.  I use it to wash my car when I want to remove ALL the polish and wax.  You have to take care and restore a new set of polish and wax afterwards.  It works great on all the crud buildup on my keys.  I let it soak in the sink overnight and the keys are spotless the next day.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:24:57 »
A disappointment so far. I've run through three rounds and either my keycaps are too dirty, or I'm doing something wrong.

Round zero. One half of a dirty Alps doubleshot set, hot water and some cheap denture-cleaning powder (Alpa, €1.5 for 150 g). Expected it to be only slower (over night). After 8 hours, I had to remove dirt by hand. Okay, check ingredients first next time.

Round one. The other half of that doubleshot set, hot water and two blend-a-dent tabs (€6.5 for 60 tabs). Water went blue and foamy for about 30 minutes, as described in the OP. Still had to remove dirt residue manually. Maybe too much water or too few tabs.

Round two. A full PBT dyesub set, just barely enough warm water and six blend-a-dent tabs. Reaction as expected. After 30 minutes, I still had to remove dirt residue by hand.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:19:27 »
It might depend on how much dirt was on the keycaps.  Mine were not that dirty, but sufficiently dirty that the water turned brown afterwards.

Some pictures of mine here.  Doesn't look like I took or kept the pictures of the brown water.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:28:10 »
A disappointment so far. I've run through three rounds and either my keycaps are too dirty, or I'm doing something wrong.

Round zero. One half of a dirty Alps doubleshot set, hot water and some cheap denture-cleaning powder (Alpa, €1.5 for 150 g). Expected it to be only slower (over night). After 8 hours, I had to remove dirt by hand. Okay, check ingredients first next time.

Round one. The other half of that doubleshot set, hot water and two blend-a-dent tabs (€6.5 for 60 tabs). Water went blue and foamy for about 30 minutes, as described in the OP. Still had to remove dirt residue manually. Maybe too much water or too few tabs.

Round two. A full PBT dyesub set, just barely enough warm water and six blend-a-dent tabs. Reaction as expected. After 30 minutes, I still had to remove dirt residue by hand.
if its too dirty you might want to use a toothbrush with dish washing soap and scrub them gently before you soak them with denture tab water.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:18:25 »
Thanks for the link, rowdy. I've tried another round, this time with great results. I think it's helped that I've used a relatively small pot and only barely 1 liter of hot water, although there were only four tabs.

if its too dirty you might want to use a toothbrush with dish washing soap and scrub them gently before you soak them with denture tab water.
Nah, that defeats the whole point of using denture tabs.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 00:18:46 »
Dishwashing soap or handsoap has worked well for me.  Maybe I'll try to denture cleaning tabs one day.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 22:58:22 »
This denture tab thing just saved me so much work. My HHKB caps were getting a little dingey after maybe 9 months of use, and now they look totally new -- and I didn't scrub a thing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:21:43 »
This denture tab thing just saved me so much work. My HHKB caps were getting a little dingey after maybe 9 months of use, and now they look totally new -- and I didn't scrub a thing.

And they smell minty fresh :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:29:14 »
Definitely going to do this before I dye my IBM 5140 caps. I've cleaned them already, but having since typed on them, I think another cleaning would be a good idea before dunking them in the dye. :P

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:39:39 »
Also put them in a mesh bag (like what fruit or potatoes come in) and throw them in the top rack of your dishwasher. Almost zero work and gets them very very clean.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:45:44 »
but having since typed on them, I think another cleaning would be a good idea before dunking them in the dye.

They must be absolutely clean before going into the dye bath. Even traces of skin oil will ruin your job.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:17:37 »
but having since typed on them, I think another cleaning would be a good idea before dunking them in the dye.

They must be absolutely clean before going into the dye bath. Even traces of skin oil will ruin your job.

Yeah, I've botched paintjobs thanks to poor surface prep and rushing. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also put them in a mesh bag (like what fruit or potatoes come in) and throw them in the top rack of your dishwasher. Almost zero work and gets them very very clean.

This sounds like a fantastic tip, man. I'll do that!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 22:44:33 »
I have purchased a dust cover for my keyboards which I use when not in use.  I also clean the case and keycaps 1-2 times weekly with a very mild glass cleaner (without amonia).  It's easier to prevent the board from becoming dirty than to clean it after the fact.  Eating at the keyboard is a no-no, but this is something that even I do. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.