Author Topic: Cleaning keycaps with... denture cleaning tabs!  (Read 63362 times)

Offline ThirdLap

Cleaning keycaps with... denture cleaning tabs!
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 20:49:57 »
If you can't find high concentration Hydrogen Peroxide, Clairol Professional Creme 40 [strike](I believe the 40 indicates the concentration of hydrogen peroxide)[/strike] is widely available at Sally Beauty Supply stores, as well as other 'open to the public' beauty stores.  It is fairly viscous, and can be easily painted onto objects in need of de-yellowing.  Works very well.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 21:32:03 »
Quote from: ripster;215807
Sally 40 is actually 10-15% concentration.  It's a weight vs volume thing IIRC.  [/IMG]
Guess you're right. The MSDS actually says 7-13%.  The MSDS is the same for all four levels of Creme, and it would seem the 40 has the highest concentration.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 21:38:09 »
Looking over the MSDS sheets, it appears that the concentration of hydrogen peroxide is the same for Clairoxide as it is for Creme 40 (12%).  So either would be fine for the Retr0bright process.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 21:46:20 »
Hmmm, yeah.  There are plenty of variations.  Different concentrations (within limits) of active bleaching agents probably aren't particularly important for this application; you can always do it twice or do it longer or hotter or try out different kinky positions or whatever if you want bleachyer(?) results.

I'll have to confess that I didn't actually use the exact formula given in my linky, but it had a decent explanation and some photos.

This denture stuff is a good find though.  Only problem is that I'd be embarassed buying it.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 08:07:42 »
Quote from: Konrad;215816
This denture stuff is a good find though.  Only problem is that I'd be embarassed buying it.

Apparently denture cleaning tabs actually are a proven household cleaning aid, so it shouldn't be all that embarrassing. One pack should also last a pretty long time.

(That reminded me of a hilarious German TV ad for condoms from the '90s though. Hey, actually found it. Makes denture cleaning tabs look harmless, doesn't it? :D)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 08:11:47 »
I used to buy them all the time when I used a retainer.  It's no big deal, grow a pair.  Trust me, people really don't give a ****.  Buying the morning after pill is about the only thing remotely embarrassing, but then, you probably have other things to worry about.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 09:22:52 »
Has anybody tried dishwasher tablets yet? I use them for all kinds of stuff that's otherwise a pain to clean.
Typing on blues.

Offline phototristan

• https://www.youtube.com/phototristan
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 09:55:53 »
If you really want to raise an eyebrow, try buying some denture cleaning tabs along with some condoms.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 10:10:17 »
Quote from: phototristan;216042
If you really want to raise an eyebrow, try buying some denture cleaning tabs along with some condoms.

That sounds kinky.  I wonder what it's like without the dentures in.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 16:01:34 »
Thread resurrection... to show this resurrection...

Before:

After:

Edit... another after pic, taken in daylight:

Just soaked with half a dozen Steradent Extra Strength for a while then rinsed.

Magic!
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 January 2011, 04:52:12 by Soarer »

Offline Konrad

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 16:42:24 »
Wow, ****.  That's a huge difference.  Just soaking?  No scrubby with a toothbrush?

I can't tell from the pics, but are the (clean) key plastics slightly age-yellowed?

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 16:46:27 »
I use toothbrush and paste.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 17:02:55 »
No scrubbing, no rubbing, no hard work at all... and that wasn't loose dirt! I tried cleaning one key with a cloth soaked in Muc-Off - it took ages and still wasn't really clean.

Not yellowed, before pic was in daylight and after was with flash. The key colour is about right in the first pic (where it shows through!).

woody

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 17:55:03 »
Soaker is right - denture tab cleaning is MAGIC. It's the most simple and effective method I've seen so far. Recently I cleaned the keycaps of an Apple IIc using 6 tabs. The result was excellent, at the cost of simple soak, rinsing and drying. No more brushing keycaps one by one with toothbrush.

Sixty, I owe you, man. At least a hooker and booze.

And Happy New Year!

Offline Konrad

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 20:36:44 »
I wonder if Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® can be safely used on keycaps.  Or would the micro-abrasive and mysterious chemicals damage the surfacing/finish layer (and inks, in the cases of printed or subliminated labels)?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 21:16:01 »
I've been using these for years. The first thing I do with a new keyboard is to disassemble and toss in hot water with denture tablets.

It just works so amazingly well. Even removes corrosion and build up from the metal stabalizers.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 22:03:17 »
I've done this to my Cherry MX-11900, NMB, IBM Model M, and my friend's Dell AT101W...works extremely well...highly recommended.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 05:09:41 »
Quote from: woody;271351
Sixty, I owe you, man. At least a hooker and booze.

+1 :-)

I figured adding pics was a good way to show appreciation. I've used denture tabs on other boards before, but none so nasty as this one.

(Daylight 'after' pic added to previous post).

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 09:32:42 »
Quote from: Soarer;271535
+1 :-)

I figured adding pics was a good way to show appreciation. I've used denture tabs on other boards before, but none so nasty as this one.

(Daylight 'after' pic added to previous post).

Doesn't the keyboard stink like toothpaste now, or does that smell vanish?
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 09:52:13 »
No stink at all, the stuff smells a bit like the mouth rinse at the dentist, but it doesn't linger on the keys.

woody

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 17:04:50 »
Quote from: ripster;271592
Actually, I looked it up and the chemical ingredients look pretty safe but I'd still be careful with vintage black keys.

Care to explain to us, non-alchemists?

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 17:36:15 »
I should mention that I have slightly changed (improved?) my method. I now put keycaps into a zipper-bag normally used for marinating meat and stuff like that. Then I add the denture tabs and hot water. Let it soak in that bag with the zipper closed for about 30 mins.

Offline ynih

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 19:47:59 »
Thanks sixty for the original idea and the updated method!

Actually, I'm thinking the Hot water might help dissolve things a little faster, but I'm afraid if I put scalding hot water, it's going to deform my keys :(
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline theferenc

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 20:07:53 »
It takes a solid amount of heat to warp keys, and most household water heaters have safety shutoffs after 140 degrees F. It takes at least 170 to warp even wimpy keys.

Also, sealed plastic bag: not the best idea. Unless it is quite large, and you get as much air out of it as possible, and keep an eye on it during the soaking period. There's a large quantity of CO2 released during this process. More than enough to burst such a bag if you aren't careful.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline Konrad

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 01 January 2011, 20:36:52 »
I don't see any advantage to using an enclosed container (bag) for this. As pointed out, the gas release might be explosively wet and messy.  You won't be able to control (or prevent) the reaction by capturing the escaping gas, unless maybe you have high pressure equipment.  Of course, I haven't done it myself, so who knows?

The chemical reaction doesn't require any extra heat to activate. Room temp (or whatever the package instructions say) would work well enough; added heat would probably only give quicker results, not better results. Longer reaction time would let the bleach penetrate more thoroughly than short concentrated reactions.

Offline sixty

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 11:15:28 »
I prefer the bag method because I can clean several kits separated at once. Of course, I guess you could also just put up several bowls...

Anyway, the gas reaction happens, but its not even close to blowing up a bag with 4 tabs in. In fact now I feel challenged and might try to see how many it takes until it blows up.

Mythbusters, go!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 02 January 2011, 12:21:05 »
It entirely depends on the size of the bag, the volume of water, and how much air you allowed in it before you sealed it.

Just to check, I was able to burst a quart size zip lock bag with only a single tablet, but there was nearly a quart of water in it.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but rather more of a "don't try this at home, kids" idea. If you know what you're doing, it's fine. If you don't, it might be fine, or might be a giant mess.

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 16:27:36 »
Quote from: Konrad;271401
I wonder if Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® can be safely used on keycaps.  Or would the micro-abrasive and mysterious chemicals damage the surfacing/finish layer (and inks, in the cases of printed or subliminated labels)?

Key word is abrasive. Unless you like 'teh shiny' I wouldn't use one.
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard

Offline Konrad

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 16:36:12 »
What's wrong with teh shiny?  At least all the other keys will match the spacebar.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 16:44:55 »
Did someone say "shiny keys"?

Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 22:44:19 »
Is this cleaning method ok for Topre key caps that are dye sublimated ?
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline theferenc

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 23:06:00 »
Dye sublimated topre keys? That's weird. But, I don't see why not. Aren't the IBM keys dye sublimated as well?

I've done a lot of those this way. Along with Dell AT101 keys, Sun rubber dome keys, some cherry double shots, etc. Never saw any problems with it.

And it's SO EASY.

If you're worried, just toss one that you don't care much about, such as Pause, and see what happens.

Science. It works, *****es!

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 16:02:15 »
My g/f just bought me a huge box of Kukident Aktiv Plus tabs. 136 tabs in the box!!!
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline theferenc

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 17:29:43 »
My bad, ripster. Given the look, and the black on dark, I always thought they were lasered.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 01:19:54 »
anyone tried this with model m or f spring/flyplate assemblies?

i just did a set of model f keys and barrels; they came out fresh and minty :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Lanx

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 01:32:28 »
Quote from: msiegel;278886
anyone tried this with model m or f spring/flyplate assemblies?

i just did a set of model f keys and barrels; they came out fresh and minty :)

i did model m keycaps, minty on my end too.

Offline George7

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 07:29:41 »
Fantastic idea!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 14:58:35 »
Tried this idea this weekend.  Worked a treat.

I'm going to give the oxi-action stuff a go soon.  

It does say to not use on finished surfaces, so I'm going to look for a messed up keyboard to test.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline bakageta

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 22:58:07 »
Just did this to the blanks from my Filco, came out great.

Offline Tony

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 08:47:53 »
Up for anyone who needs this.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline niz

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 15:38:36 »
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was just curious. Has anyone tried using this cleaning method on black keycaps? I mean, you wouldn't notice quite the difference that doing this to white ones would yield, but just thought I'd try this out to remove any residue/oil that's built up. What do you guys think?
       Filco Blue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sixty

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 17:59:41 »
Pefectly fine with black and with all colors of the rainbow.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 22:50:04 »
Quote from: sixty;112493
I finished cleaning all three of the really nasty eBay Cherry boards today.

I figured I would share some more results of the denture tabs:

Show Image

Show Image

Look! they even replace missing keys too!
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Alex

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 04:28:20 »
The only brand i seem to be able to find here in Sweden is ProFast Super Rengöringstabletter

Anyone who tried it for cleaning keycaps? It seems to have the following contents:

Sodium Perborate, Sodium
Bicarbonate, Potassium Monopersulphate,
Trisodium Phosphate, PEG-240, Sulfamic
Acid, PVP, TAED, Silica, Sodium Methyl Oleoyl
Taurate, Cellulose-Lactose, Colour C.I. 42090,
Aroma.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 14:21:53 »
Try them on one of the spare stems I sent you before trying the caps. Honestly I think theyll be fine but you can never be too careful =D
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 14:34:57 »
TAED? Isn't that some stuff in some of the Retr0brite ingredients, too?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 15:10:33 »
Sodium Perborate makes hydrogen peroxide -- which is a form of bleach. TAED makes the hydrogen peroxide effective in temperatures below 40 °C.
Bicarbonate and acid makes the tab dissolve in water.

Hmm.. I hope that there are some denture cleaning tabs available in Sweden that do not contain any flavour. I don't want my keyboards to smell "minty fresh", sorry.

Because of some history I have been through I strongly associate the smell of mint with mucus and infection. For instance, I can't stand some Lebanese food that has mint in it, and I have a problem working with people who chew gum.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:11:01 »
We should call this method the "ghetto Jacuzzi" :tongue:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 14:56:19 »
Quote from: Alex;328415
The only brand i seem to be able to find here in Sweden is ProFast Super Rengöringstabletter
I found a pack of "Corega" "3 Minutes" tabs at Ica Kvantum (Swedish convenience store). 66 tabs for 55 SEK.
Worked nicely on my off-white Cherry PBT caps. I had only to rub off some pencil marks. If I compare closely, they appear to be slightly less yellow also. Same active ingredients as those "Pro Fast" tabs (Sodium Perborate and TAED), and I think also some abrasive powder.