Author Topic: Opening Up a Selectric Typewriter - How it Works and How to Clean and Lube  (Read 5564 times)

Offline msiegel

:D i'm really enjoying your recent spelunking

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
That is an awesome looking plug.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
So... Did you renew the foam? I suppose it was there to reduce noise. PC silencing is old and boring, typewriter silencing is the new trend... :D
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline DrunkenDonut

Opening Up a Selectric Typewriter - How it Works and How to Clean and Lube
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 August 2009, 22:48:57 »
Nice write up and pics! I'm actually tempted to pull out my Selectric II and start poking around. I'm afraid mine will need a trip to a professional though, as it looks like some cables are out of place.

Being able to take the case off is a good start.  ;)

I don't remember when I got mine, but it must have been at least 10 years ago. It was broken when I got it, and nobody has attempted to figure it out or send it out for repair since then.

I did notice that my foam is also breaking down. There's remarkably similar looking foam in my car underneath an ashtray that's also breaking down. Nasty stuff to clean up since it crumbly yet also feels oily at the same time. :yuck:
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 20:26:16 »
Quote from: ripster;106149
Bad news for IBM Model F users.  The IBM M uses what looks to be a pretty durable rubber sheet.  Probably both are replaceable but a pain to cut since there are 90 some holes to cut.

How is that bad news for the Model F users?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 00:54:06 »
Quote from: timw4mail;106289
How is that bad news for the Model F users?

Model Fs (I prefer XT) use capacitative switches opposed to rubber membrane sheets found in Model Ms.

Capacitative mechanisms would be a lot of pain in the rip-side to fix. Although, if I am correct, each one has a little signature of an IBM employee who tested it. I ought to open mine some time and see.

EDIT: Before someone misreads what I said, I prefer the TERM *XT* over model F.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2010, 23:37:23 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline trievalot

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 02:39:07 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;163086
Model Fs (I prefer XT) use capacitative switches opposed to rubber membrane sheets found in Model Ms.

Capacitative mechanisms would be a lot of pain in the rip-side to fix. Although, if I am correct, each one has a little signature of an IBM employee who tested it. I ought to open mine some time and see.

i ought to go get the 2 XT boards i know a guy has for $5 each.
[SIGPIC]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 23:35:41 »
Quote from: trievalot;163098
i ought to go get the 2 XT boards i know a guy has for $5 each.

Well hurry and buy them! If you have a few spares, they'd be good for some modding. Hey, maybe it would be possible to put XT springs in a model M. I like the feel of the XTs better... but not the noise. Model M noise is good; especially my model M, sounds different than most model Ms I've come across. Perhaps because it's an older one? Whatever the case, I love the metal spring reverberation, especially when my spacebar makes a funny hissing "pssst".
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline mr_a500

Quote from: EverythingIBM;163086

EDIT: Before someone misreads what I said, I prefer the TERM *XT* over model F.

Why would you prefer the term "XT"? The original IBM PC, XT and AT keyboards (pre-Model M) were all Model F keyboards, so saying "Model F" is more accurate when describing the switch type.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 October 2011, 14:34:34 »
And now, yet another time-consuming project. I have 2 "working" Selectrics in the basement, I think maybe I have a brown II and a green III, but I have not looked in awhile.

Having spent a couple of months working on Model Ms, and a couple more working on Model Fs, that Selectric looks like another world.

I might have to be unemployed for a few months before I could get up the time and energy to tackle one of those.

I would like to eventually have one really nice working specimen. In a nutshell, can anyone tell me, what are the differences between I, II, and III, and which is most desirable? (ie for me that means dependable and durable)

Oh, yes, I like the green. Are the cases interchangeable?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 18:55:59 »
I just picked this up for $30:

It looks pretty good for its age, but I'm still going to have to "de-gunkify" the thing. It works, but there's the occasional character spacing screwup and return doesn't return correctly.

I just found this great video (unsure if anybody's already posted it):

The narrator sounds like the voice of the computer in Zardoz.