Author Topic: Salmosa to Abyssus comments  (Read 38453 times)

Offline asfogh

Salmosa to Abyssus comments
« on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 12:39:40 »
Was pretty happy with the Razer Salmosa for a while, (happy enough that I had a backup "just in case") despite the clicking issues. Because I guess I'm clueless and late to the party, I just found out about the update to the Abyssus and removing mouse prediction. I had read it had troubles with cloth pads which I use, but I was curious so I forked over the $55 to give it a whirl and while you might expect me to say I was underwhelmed, I'm not.

I ****ing hated it.

Every forum review I could find on the Internet was full of salmosa switches who said "its the same mouse basically, no mouse prediction and better buttons, if you have the cash get it". Maybe I'm bat**** crazy, but the weight distribution feels off and I tend to grasp the mouse with all five fingers around the backish. The buttons are clearly different but don't really strike me as better or worse, and the shape is also different though I'm not sure if it's better or worse either. It has a little bit less of the rounded ass the salmosa has. The first time I played with the mouse my entire arm started hurting. I left it on for a couple days but nevertheless, the second I plugged a salmosa back in it was extremely refreshing.

Anyway, don't want any other salmosa lovers to think the abyssus is a clear buy, because not only was it paying a healthy markup on having an extra usable mouse, for me it was not usable.

Offline aerial

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 May 2010, 13:09:35 »
I was also salmosa user, and couldn't understand that change in buttons shape in abyssus. For me that looks like cheap gimmick, "lets add some badass looking sharp edges, and our product will be more cool". I can't really find any other logical explanation. Rounded buttons in salmosa allowed users to keep 3 fingers on top of mouse (middle finger - scroll). There was nice large wide area you could fit your fingers on buttons. Putting there sharp edges does not make any sense (other than marketing, nobody would buy mouse that looks same).

As for sensor it is also not real upgrade, it has issues with many mousepads (unlike salmosa).

What is really promising, they announced abyssus mirror version (glossy coating), so for people who hate rubber coating that wears off on all razer mice, that sounds like real alternative.

Offline Mith

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 09:07:03 »
I actually like Abyssus' rubber coating, but not much else. Well, I am still using this, since I can't get my hands on another Razer Krait..

I hate Razer mice because after you've used one, like you asfogh, it's really hard to switch again. This Abyssus shape is just ridiculous. The size is okay for me, (fingertip user) but those sharp edges are odd.

For fingertip users or people with small hands, it feels like real degradation of mice is going on. SteelSeries Kinzu is about the maxmimum size fingertip users could use, but alas, it's tracking is unforgivable.

Microsoft mice are too big. Or at least all I know.

Small Logitech mice focus on design and ignore comfort. Not to mention the button quality in those. R.I.P. Logitech Mini Optical...

I wonder if I should buy Razer Salmosa (or something similar to Krait?) or just wait for SS to fix Kinzu or some new mice...

Offline aerial

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 11:54:40 »
If there was kinzu with Xai sensor, that would be really perfect mouse.

Offline Mith

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 16:24:53 »
Agreed. I would prefer even smaller than Kinzu, but Kinzu is OK.

But they tend to make technically better mice always bigger. As if bigger would also mean better.
In fact, in RTS and MMO gaming most serious gamers use fingertip grip. (what Ive gathered from several forums) Its just superior in speed and comfort when you dont have to move your wrist or arm at all. (high DPI)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 22:44:29 »
the Razer Abyssus has no on-board memory so the firmware can't be upgraded like the Razer DeathAdder 3.5G, no one really knows the name of the sensor, it has tracking problems and the sensor is limited in scaling 450/1800/3500 DPI.

Razer mice like the Razer Viper, Diamondback, Diamondback 3G, Krait, Salmosa, Abyssus, Boomslang CE 2007 don't have on-board memory which is something you want to have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2010, 23:01:29 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 23:02:37 »
the Razer Abyssus has no on-board memory so the firmware can't be upgraded like the Razer DeathAdder 3.5G, no one really knows the name of the sensor, it has tracking problems and the sensor is limited in scaling 450/1800/3500 DPI.

Razer mice like the Razer Viper, Diamondback, Diamondback 3G, Krait, Salmosa, Abyssus, Boomslang CE 2007 don't have on-board memory which is something you want to have.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 01:34:10 »
Quote from: Mith;184657

For fingertip users or people with small hands, it feels like real degradation of mice is going on. SteelSeries Kinzu is about the maxmimum size fingertip users could use, but alas, it's tracking is unforgivable.

Microsoft mice are too big. Or at least all I know.

Small Logitech mice focus on design and ignore comfort. Not to mention the button quality in those. R.I.P. Logitech Mini Optical...

I wonder if I should buy Razer Salmosa (or something similar to Krait?) or just wait for SS to fix Kinzu or some new mice...

Allthough I don't have a need for such small mice (but if something really interesting comes out I will take a look) it's a shame that there are not many options.

SS will not fix the Kinzu and it doesn't look like Logitech is planing some MX300/G1/G3 successor.

For many companies gaming mouse means big palm mouse with crappy sensor, lots of lights, useless wheight tuning system, useless amount of buttons and marketing features. :puke:

Quote from: aerial;184783

Unfortunately I doubt that the Xai PCP will fit in a Kinzu shell, so a frankenmouse isn't really an option.

Quote from: lmnop;185145
the Razer Abyssus ...., no one really knows the name of the sensor ...

S3888 (from Avago)

A Viper with onboard memory would still be crap, just crap with onboard memory. :D

If you look for really small mice you could look at the asian market (small girly hands --> small mice), "their" Salmosa is even smaller, afaik you can buy it at the Razer Store.

Roccat Pyra (wired) might also be an option.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline aerial

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 03:15:34 »
Quote from: Mith;184958
Aut they tend to make technically better mice always bigger. As if bigger would also mean better.
In fact, in RTS and MMO gaming most serious gamers use fingertip grip. (what Ive gathered from several forums) Its just superior in speed and comfort when you dont have to move your wrist or arm at all. (high DPI)

I'm not sure about MMO players. Isn't mmo all about these huge mice with 10 sidebuttons? MMO are rather slow and less competitive games, where casuals can eat while playing. I think for them it is all about number of extra buttons so they can bind more skills to it.

Btw for small finger/claw grip mouse, g9 is pretty good. It seems big, but it is really short, so I has zero problems switching from salmosa, perfect mouse for finger/claw grip (claw is even better for high sens imo).
Too bad logitech is not going to release G3 successor though.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 03:18:07 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;185197
Allthough I don't have a need for such small mice (but if something really interesting comes out I will take a look) it's a shame that there are not many options.

SS will not fix the Kinzu and it doesn't look like Logitech is planing some MX300/G1/G3 successor.

For many companies gaming mouse means big palm mouse with crappy sensor, lots of lights, useless wheight tuning system, useless amount of buttons and marketing features. :puke:

Unfortunately I doubt that the Xai PCP will fit in a Kinzu shell, so a frankenmouse isn't really an option.

S3888 (from Avago)

A Viper with onboard memory would still be crap, just crap with onboard memory. :D

If you look for really small mice you could look at the asian market (small girly hands --> small mice), "their" Salmosa is even smaller, afaik you can buy it at the Razer Store.

Roccat Pyra (wired) might also be an option.

I want to see a picture of the sensor all I have seen in google is one forum post from gotfrag.

I have small girly hands and like big mice like my steelseries xai :)

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 03:31:08 »
You seem to have a different google, it's even the first hit when you search for abyssus s3888.

I like my Xai too, without small girly hands. :)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 03:32:45 »
thanks for that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2010, 04:10:34 by lmnop »

Offline Mith

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:16:15 »
Quote from: aerial;185214
I'm not sure about MMO players. Isn't mmo all about these huge mice with 10 sidebuttons? MMO are rather slow and less competitive games, where casuals can eat while playing. I think for them it is all about number of extra buttons so they can bind more skills to it.

Yeah, I could try G9 if it was ambidextrous or left-handed...

In my opinion, the most important feature in a mouse is comfort :) I guess it's for any game but especially for MMO's. Most other games have pauses or rounds, and they're more skill dependent whereas MMO's are most about longevity and butt muscles :P

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:22:22 »
@lmnop

What did they use on the Salmosa (I'm too lazy too search :D)?

Offline lmnop

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:28:51 »

Omron D2FC-F-7N same microswitches Logitech and Razer been using for years.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:35:26 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:35:43 »

Omron D2FC-F-7N same microswitches Logitech and Razer been using for years.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:40:51 »
thx, so does SS for the Xai

Offline lmnop

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 04:47:08 »
the steelseries xai uses a Omron D2FC-F-7N microswitch for the scroll wheel but primary are a unknown Omron microswitch with a black plunger, secondary are a unknown Omron microswitch with a red plunger.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:02:22 »

Source

Looks like they changed it at some point.

Theoretically I could just ask but most likely I wouldn't be allowed to tell. ;)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:03:18 »
nope. that is the Omron D2FC-F-7N microswitch for the scroll wheel. see the plastic spool sticking out of the spoke. that acts as a stem it depresses the plunger in front of it.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:06:43 »

see how the scroll wheel works now?

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:08:03 »
Nope, looks at all of the pictures on that site, none of the switches has a black plunger and the axis of the wheel lays on the switch behind.
The colour of the upper PCB seems also to have a different colour.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:20:15 »
just to make sure there is no confusion with lighting.

these are definitely black plungers.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:26:16 »
I'm not saying that there are no Xais with black plungers (I know the pics) but a seen in the link I posted there are also ones (or at least one :D) which clearly don't have them an uses D2FC-F-7N as main switches.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 05:31:40 »

the microswitch in the middle is for the CPI button, the plastic spool depresses on the plunger like I said it doesn't depress back.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 09:11:35 »
Quote from: Mith;184958
Agreed. I would prefer even smaller than Kinzu, but Kinzu is OK.

But they tend to make technically better mice always bigger. As if bigger would also mean better.

RTS is a completely different beast than FPS. It's a shame "Gaming" mice are really "FPS" mice and RTS gamers get lost in the cold. In the entirety of pro gaming in korea gamers have been using different iterations of "the tiny logitech mouse" finally settling on the logitech mini optical. Only the Razer Salmosa and Salmosa Asia (just ordered one, can't wait to get ahold of it) have been anywhere near what rts gamers want, which is a shame. Since RTS is basically about clicking on stuff with a cursor, I think it's a better equivalent to desktop use as well.

The Salmosa has a great design. I love the plump "ass", pretty much the only way I would change it is perhaps a little in the surface material to make it more grippy, less long, and the buttons would maybe have a little more leverage further down (perhaps fixed by just having a less tall mouse). also maybe ditching the scroll wheel for a third button or just two button it (back to basics ftw).

one thing I really do like is the switch for dpi on the bottom. i would actually love it if either they expanded this, or better yet provide a way to flash any dpi up to a certain point onto the mouse (perhaps this will add too much bulk or weight to add onboard memory...?). it's just cool to have non-driver fixes, i think, since drivers are so often a hassle

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 09:36:48 »
I like my bowling ball.  I wonder how the one-piece tops have affected leverage on the mouse-buttons.  I guess since you're fingers are in the same place typically, it probably doesn't matter much.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 12:25:57 »
I guess the question is if the one-piece tops affect leverage more so than if leverage affect resistance.  Pressing different areas around my current mouse and another MS mouse I have with a multi-piece top, it really doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.  It seems to be more aesthetic than anything.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 14:17:12 »

@lmnop

Do you see what I mean?

For the wheel it isn't even an Omron switch, looks like TTC.

Are those pics from your own Xai, if so isn't the product code written on the side of the Omron switches with the black plunger?

@asfogh

I have no clue about RTS gaming but aren't many korean gamer using ktec mice?

Offline lmnop

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 20:41:38 »
the secondary micro switches with red plungers are definitely TTC I found that picture. the only micro switch companies I have seen are Zippy, Omron, Cherry and Nippon. Zippy micro switches seem popular amongst asian gamers. I can't find anymore pictures of the steelseries xai. the pictures I posted are from a thread in this same section from some guy complaining about the quality of his steelseries xai.

micro switches and cherry mx switches are not really all that different. if you go to Omron website they list the specifications for each micro switch including force.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2010, 20:44:33 by lmnop »

Offline asfogh

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 11:22:10 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;185459
Show Image

Show Image

@lmnop

Do you see what I mean?

For the wheel it isn't even an Omron switch, looks like TTC.

Are those pics from your own Xai, if so isn't the product code written on the side of the Omron switches with the black plunger?

@asfogh

I have no clue about RTS gaming but aren't many korean gamer using ktec mice?

not sure when the changeover happened cus i was out of the scene for a few years. ktec was very popular some years ago (and sponsored a lot of players, chicken or egg). now logitech mini optical is almost universal. regardless, the ktec (or at least the ktecs ive seen) were yet all "tiny logitech-ish mouse".

is it possible to mod the switches on an existing mouse to make the buttons more or less resistant?

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 13:11:29 »
How come if the same Omron switches are used in different mouse models made by different manufacturers, some start to malfunction after some time of regular use, and some don't? The middle click on my Lachesis, is regularly registered as a double click. Interestingly, the right/left buttons function flawlessly, but thier usage was a tad hevier compared to the middle one. But then again, the same Omron switches do not show any problems in some really old and heavily used mice.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 May 2010, 04:53:45 »
That's sig material. :D

Quote from: In Stereo!;185748
How come if the same Omron switches are used in different mouse models made by different manufacturers, some start to malfunction after some time of regular use, and some don't? The middle click on my Lachesis, is regularly registered as a double click. Interestingly, the right/left buttons function flawlessly, but thier usage was a tad hevier compared to the middle one. But then again, the same Omron switches do not show any problems in some really old and heavily used mice.

Doesn't look like an omron switch for the wheel button. ;)

Just wondering how much effect the "one piece upper shell" which should work as kind of a lever has on the actuation force.

Personally I like stiffer (main) buttons.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 May 2010, 04:56:02 »
Om nom ron

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 May 2010, 05:22:31 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;185966
Doesn't look like an omron switch for the wheel button. ;)

Hah, never actually bothered to look under the hood. But as some users experience double clicking on the left and right mouse buttons, so I'm not really sure if this the actual problem.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 May 2010, 15:17:56 »
The omrons with the black plunger on the Xai are D2F-J01F (source).

Quote from: ch_123;185967
Om nom ron

:D

Offline lmnop

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 02:44:23 »
thank you Bull :)

if you're having double clicking problems it's either

1) the plunger under the mouse button cover that depresses the stem on the micro switch is worn out. this happens when you are applying to much force to the mouse button cover and can wear out under 6 months of usage. unless you can fabricate a new button cover you have to RMA.
2) the copper spring inside the micro switch is worn out in that case you will have to disassemble the micro switch. solution is here.

namaste and good luck
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2010, 02:51:37 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 24 May 2010, 02:56:33 »
thank you Bull :)

if you're having double clicking problems it's either

1) the plunger under the mouse button cover is worn out. this happens when you are applying to much force to the mouse button cover which can wear out under 6 months of heavy usage. unless you can fabricate a new button cover you have to RMA.
2) the copper spring inside the micro switch is worn out. solution is here.

namaste and good luck
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2010, 05:09:29 by lmnop »

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 01 June 2010, 02:37:45 »
Almost forgot, had a little talk with my contact in the business, the influence of the mouse shell isn't that big.

Offline teroteki

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 September 2010, 20:03:25 »
Quote from: aerial;184783

hi! first post here, so excuse any errors :)
i'm a fingertip grip mouse user and i've been using WMO 1.1a, Salmosa, Abyssus etc etc. none have the right shape/size though.
so when i saw the Xai and Kinzu i got really excited :D
unfortunately the Xai really is too big for me and i HATE side buttons... and the Kinzu sensor is.. uh.. just plain horrible.

so i decided to mod my Kinzu and replace the sensor with the Xai's!

some things to note if you try this yourself:
- you risk ruining both mice. expensive!
- not all the Xai features will fit into the Kinzu shell;
- no LCD (it's possible to do, but beyond my level of skill and needs)
- no side buttons / profile switch (it's possible to do, but beyond my level of skill and needs)

first detach everything!

some tools you'll need are a Soldering Iron, Desolder Pump (or wick or whatever you prefer to use for desoldering) and some Solder. oh and a Dremel or something to carve up plastic :)

the wheels are different sizes, so you'll need to change them.
you'll notice that the Kinzu scroll wheel component is higher and indented by 1mm compared to the Xai scroll wheel. you'll need to desolder the Xai scroll wheel and replace it with the Kinzu scroller.

the USB cable won't fit round the side of the Kinzu, so you'll need to thread it under the PCB and maybe cut away some plastic from the side.
you'll also need to trim the plastic from the Xai USB braid cable guard thing to get it to fit in the holder

personally i felt the Xai middle click was a little stiff for my liking, so i placed several layers of electrical tape to make it extra sensitive.

empty out the interior of the Kinzu base, clearing away the Mouse1/Cable area.

the under shell of the Kinzu weighs about 22g and i personally find it to be unbalanced. when i pick the mouse up to reset position, i notice that the backside of the mouse drags on the mouse mat. to remedy this i cut away some unneeded plastic.

yay! now the backside is lighter and the whole mouse will feel a more balanced :D

to secure the PCB into place i decided to drill some holes in the sides...

... and combine 2x cable ties to lock down the sensor. cut away any excess cable tie :)

as you cut away the undershell, you'll need to carve away the Mouse2 area. this is so that the Xai clickers will fit into the Kinzu. be patient and keep checking if it fits. the only way i could fit the Xai board into the Kinzu was by removing the screw socket at Mouse2 :/ this means you'll only have 3 screws.

final step - burn the hideous glides that came with the Kinzu and replace them with Teflon :D
install the Xai drivers and away you go!
i also highly recommend the SteelSeries 9HD hard mouse mat with this sensor.

after years and years of searching, i now have my perfect mouse.
extremely happy! :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:52:27 by teroteki »

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 01:35:22 »
Relly great work, allthough I don't really trust those cable ties and would probably use a more "secure" method.

I would have thought that the Xai PCB wouldn't really fit in the Kinzu Shell.

Getting a functional CPI/Profile Button shouldn't be a big problem, I mean it's just a simple switch.

Did you take into consideration to keep the same distance between sensor and surface (recomended range is 0,44mm)?

btw, could you weight the LCD of the Xai, someone in another forum wanted to know how much the Xai would weight without the LCD.

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 02:57:12 »
The switches on the main board of the xai are omeron except the mmb which is ttc. the switches on the secondary board for the side buttons are all ttc switches. The LCD weighs next to nothing.

Also I was pointing out issues I had with the mouse since I couldn't find much documentation on it past people in forums saying SS sucks. don't confuse that with complaining. I ended up buying a second one, gutting it and swapping out parts. my original mouse looked to be from an initial run since there were several differences in the case and the secondary board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 October 2010, 03:03:43 by Infinite north »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 14:05:00 »
great mod, FANTASTIC documentation & pics! kudos.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline J888www

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 15:44:41 »
I had used a Razer Boomslang 2007 for several Years until the rubber on the button started to flake apart, been trying to find a replacement without much success. ATM, I'm using a Logitech M310 which replaced the Abyssus which in turn replaced the Kinzu. As my requirements are few (three buttons), I'm quite happy for now. Also I'm surprised this Logitech tracts so well for a wireless mouse, I'll even go as far as "as good as the Boomslang" and risk my scrawny neck on the block.

Oh, anyone have any ideas on how to mod a Boomslang into a different shell ?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 October 2010, 15:51:06 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 06:17:49 »
Alternatively the logitech G9x uses the same sensor as the Xai, and you can remove the body completely to get a thin small mouse.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline manfaux

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 04:55:11 »
I play starcraft(bw and now sc2) a lot and I've had the salmosa ever since it came out, its prediction doesn't really bother me but I needed a higher DPI mouse so I ordered the abyssus about 1 month ago, despite the fact that people are complaining about how the aby jitters on cloth pads, most notably the Qck's.

well, I got a qck+  so I thought ,ok, if it's that bad i will just have to give up on the trusty qck and buy a new hard pad instead.

So my abyssus arrived,  shape feels good(quite similar to the salmosa in some way), coated surface is excellent, etc, over all I like it a lot, played a couple of games with it on my Qck didn't feel any skipping or jittering, so I pulled up the good old Paint and started drawing lines and circles.

the circles were smooth and  the lines were straight.... WHAT? that can't be true! its supposed to jitter all over the place on the qck i thought? So I grabbed my roommate's  razer exactmat and did the same test over and over again between the 2 pads, the results were identical throughout: the abyssus is fine on cloth pads, at least on my Qck+.

What gives?

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 08:53:29 »
Quote from: manfaux;235084

What gives?

Methinks you're a victim of internet FUD.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline apex

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 16:11:43 »
Quote from: manfaux;235084
I play starcraft(bw and now sc2) a lot and I've had the salmosa ever since it came out, its prediction doesn't really bother me but I needed a higher DPI mouse so I ordered the abyssus about 1 month ago, despite the fact that people are complaining about how the aby jitters on cloth pads, most notably the Qck's.

well, I got a qck+  so I thought ,ok, if it's that bad i will just have to give up on the trusty qck and buy a new hard pad instead.

So my abyssus arrived,  shape feels good(quite similar to the salmosa in some way), coated surface is excellent, etc, over all I like it a lot, played a couple of games with it on my Qck didn't feel any skipping or jittering, so I pulled up the good old Paint and started drawing lines and circles.

the circles were smooth and  the lines were straight.... WHAT? that can't be true! its supposed to jitter all over the place on the qck i thought? So I grabbed my roommate's  razer exactmat and did the same test over and over again between the 2 pads, the results were identical throughout: the abyssus is fine on cloth pads, at least on my Qck+.

What gives?
I got my abyssus on Thursday. Been using it real heavily since then. First thing i did was open up paint and test it on my fUNC 1030 pad. I heard this pad worked no matter what but i just wanted to try it out. Sure enough, no jitters, and lines were as straight as i could draw them.

I also tried it on some cloth material and it works just fine. I saw a comment on ESReality where someone also said it worked on their QcK+  they went on to say maybe Razer updated it for a new batch of abyssus mice. Seems unlikely without any notice but who knows. These mice did have some major issues with cloth and now a select few are saying they're turning out fine.

Btw, im coming from a WMO, and this mouse is the bomb! Killer shape, killer coating, killer tracking!

Offline manfaux

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 16:34:35 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;235125
Methinks you're a victim of internet FUD.

lol thats what i thought at first, maybe just bunch of logitech guys working their asses off trying to spread the FUD,  but then I had numerous  starcraft players confirming the issue. OR MAYBE razer has done something secretly about the razer- they could've tweaked the sensor or something? just my guess.

@Apex, glad ur aby is fine, the only thing i wish it had is braided cable. :)

Offline asfogh

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 12:00:27 »
I wound up buying a Salmosa "asia pro gaming edition" off eBay. Cost me like $60. Got it and it's awesome -- similar shape as the salmosa in a smaller package and no on-mouse hz switch. I prefer it to the Salmosa (though I still love the regular salmosa). Then, farting around I noticed it on the Razer store and bought another one shipped from them directly for $30. Looking it up now, it says it's not available. Maybe it's seasonal or something. Anyway, smaller size makes it lighter, a little more manueverable in the vertical for me, and the smaller size also gives me a little more leverage on the buttons and thus more comfortable as well given the way I grip the mouse.

Still has the old squeek issue but, no big deal.

Re: braided cable -- why is it that of all the stupid **** they put in mice that's unnecessary, we can't get a high quality mouse with a replaceable, braided cable? The cable for my salmosa is tiny, flimsy, and long as ****. I'd love it if I could buy a length that fit my use and high quality cable at that...