Author Topic: Soldering Iron/Station.  (Read 114008 times)

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 13:35:17 »
I must be doing something wrong.  I just stopped about halfway through and tested the board and everything is functional.

FWIW I did hork up a couple of the areas of the PCB as the little "sleeves" that go through under the pads came out with a few switches.  I am assuming that this is only a 1-layer board though, but even so. I am trying to make sure that I get lost of solder in there.  No pads lifted (knock on wood) and like I said, didn't have to rework anything yet.  I might even get this done today which would be cool.  (I decided to go w/ straight clears and a grey space bar in the Filco.  I think it'll be a nice typing board.  I decided to start with the Filco because the switches in that one felt decidedly frictiony compared to the Noppoo - and sure enough, for whatever reason I didn't see any lube on the sliders.)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 13:58:58 »
Clarfy:

You did something wrong and the board is functional???  I'll try reading that a couple more times maybe....

Pulling out a sleeve is unfortunate, but fixable as long as the pads are still there (not by putting sleeve back in, though).
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 14:24:57 »
Exactly!  usually the first time I do something, there's SOME minor issue that makes whatever I'm working on nonfunctional :)

I already hacked up the keycaps and didn't mess that up either...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 14:27:38 »
WHEW! :)

Saw some videos of the Hakko 808 desolder unit. I want that, but it's gotta be under $100 for me to consider :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 15:49:48 »
I'm debating whether or not electrical soldering or TIG welding was easier and faster to become proficient.  

To anyone who is going through tips quickly, try to gracefully touch the work with the soldering iron.  When a switch won't come out, due to the leads being at an angle, you can try using very small tweezers and straighten the lead while literally touching the joint with the iron instead.  

The only difference between a 100% wettability tip and one that isn't is a lame super thin tin coating, so keeping that baby tinned like it's a fish in water will grant you more mileage similar to maintaining a car.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #156 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 16:44:00 »
Sal Ammoniac...does it work just like in the video you posted? It takes off oxides? I'm using the brass-flux shavings, seems awesome, but haven't done a large amount of soldering with it yet. Just some small things.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 17:12:44 »
In my eyes that is just more money to spend.  I've used the same ball of brass shavings for over a year now and every few months rinse under water while kneading it with my hands over my dogs water bowl (I kid I kid.)  

When I don't see smoke after cleaning the tip, I put on gloves, take a bottle of rosin flux and knead a all small amount to thoroughly re-distribute the flux.  Plop it back into its holder and it's done.  

No worries about replenishing usually flux absent sponges with water or replacing them after they get undesirable.  Keep it simple

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 17:58:04 »
Good to know about the Sal Ammoniac and replenishing the brass. Have not done the block of Sal, but the brass couldn't be easier. I'd like to try the Sal just to try it.

Why rinse the brass under water? I understand about putting the flux on it, and I guess after doing that once or twice you'd get the hang of it.

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 18:26:15 »
Well, I must not be totally incompetent...  I bring you this message courtesy of a Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry MX clear switches :)

it feels good...

and yeah, the plate mount switches feel way better than the PCB mount switches on the POS boards, as I anticipated they would.  Happy is.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 18:39:50 »
Muck such as spent dark flux, solder or anything but "ex. hot glue, melted plastic, etc." will eventually get stuck and accumulate in the brass shavings rather than falling to the bottom like it should.  After months of continuous use and rotating the brass ball to a fresh side, it will visually change colors all together and crap will start coming off on the tip.

Of course, the idea is not to touch anything that isn't solder but it can happen to the best of us, especially oneself.

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 21 August 2011, 20:03:27 »
I've always used the wet sponge, but I splurged when I bought my latest round of soldering supplies to get me into the last decade and got the Hakko brass scrubbie thing, and honestly, I really like it.  So much better than the sponge.  But I've only used it for this one job so it hasn't needed "service" yet.

Now I've got this whole stack of Weller sponges that I salveaged from the trash at my last job that I'll never use :/

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 03:23:43 »
More reason to use the brass scrubbie thing, the iron can be thrusted into it and remove the cob webs off of irons, too.

Wet sponges quench the tip degrading any metal given time and the soldering iron has to "recover" from the heat loss.  Sponges use WATER while wiping off more solder than the brass scrubbie things without applying flux.  It be a good idea to make sure the tip is nice and tinned or it might belong to the oxide gods when it's used next year, like this.

Use it or else.  This advertisement brought to you by Hakko Inc., what are you soldering today?

Offline Parak

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 09:15:41 »
Brass shavings (aka scouring pad)? Sponges?!

I just fling the soldering iron at anything that happens to be passing by. Cleans the excess solder really well.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 10:17:17 »
That works well, too.  How else is it possible to use up a 10 LB spool before losing it or within a decade, unless it's your profession?

Here's a rant about lead solder, if anyone is interested.

63/37(Sn/Pb) 'melting point @ 183 °C (361 °F)
Is generally a better mixture because once it cools below 361 °F, it solidifies immediately without a "floating range."

60/40(Sn/Pb) 'melting range @ 183–190 °C (361–374 °F.
When cooled below 375 °F, it must cool another 13 °F before solidifying completely.  This increases the time the joint must remain steady, thus, increasing the likely hood of a cold solder joint.

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 10:21:04 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403201
That works well too.  How else is it possible to use up a 10 LB spool before losing it or within a decade, unless it's your profession?

With the old uncoated soldering iron, the steel wool was used often.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 10:37:28 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 10:49:43 »
Quote from: ripster;403210
I call that the Italian Soldering School.

I'm glad you are used to call Italian anything new you are learning... [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24846[/ATTACH] :party:
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 10:56:34 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 11:39:26 »
As a note of caution:

On fleabay, there is a seller (China) with a pic of what appears to be brass coiled scrubbie for $2.99 with no shipping cost. After emailing the seller, they state it is steel, not brass and there is no flux in it. Either it's brass and the seller is misinformed about what it is, or it's really not brass and shows an incorrect pic. They also sell a copy of a holder with a scrubbie for a couple dollars more.

So if anyone is looking to go that route, be careful you don't get something that appears to be something else. If I had not gotten the real thing, I would not have known the difference and probably been very disappointed with the results, and subsequently trash-talked it :)

EDITED POST FOR CLARIFICATION
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 12:01:26 by input nirvana »

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 11:47:17 »
Aluminum and Brass are much easier to tap than Steel, from my experience, so my assumption is brass will be easier on the tip's tin coating then steel wool.  The Hakko 599B isn't exactly cheap which is why I figured I would share how mine was cleaned.  Just my two cents.

Thanks for the heads up, input.

"Why use the Hakko 599B Tip Cleaner over the conventional damp sponge?  One of the biggest reasons why is becuase the Hakko 599B Tip Cleaner can remove oxidation buildup from the tip without removing the solder, or exposing the tip to thermal shock.  The soft brass coils of the Hakko 599B allow oxidation to be removed without detrimental effects on the tip, while leaving a light coating of solder behind to help prevent further oxidation of the iron plating.

When using a damp sponge, the minerals in the water and any debris on the sponge itself that come in contact with the tip can lead to additonal buildup.  The sponge also removes the solder from the tip exposing the iron plating to the air and the water of the sponge.  Iron, water, and air all come together to make iron oxide, or rust.  This is why it is important to immediately re-tin the tip after cleaning.  The Hakko 599B re-tins the tip as it cleans, and never exposes the tip to any water or minerals."  -hakkoUSA.com

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 11:57:13 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403265
Aluminum and Brass are much easier to tap than Steel, from my experience, so my assumption is brass will be easier on the tip's tin coating.  The Hakko 599B isn't exactly cheap which is why I figured I would share how mine was cleaned.  Just my two cents.

Brass is softer than the steel, so it's likely less abrasive for the precious coating.

BTW the old school irons with the tip made of copper weren't really affected because the copper was consumed anyway via chemical reaction with the flux and with the soldering alloy

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 12:01:14 »
Copper?  That's crazy.  "What were they thiiinking?"  That question gets asked more often then not.

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 12:06:50 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403282
Copper?  That's crazy.  "What were they thiiinking?"

They were thinking that was a cheap material with a great heat conductivity, that was easily being wet by the tin alloy.

The bigger irons, used by plumbers, are still made by bare copper.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 14:58:41 »
I go to fix the laptop USB last night, and come to realize I need to grip a part...I STILL NEED tiny tweezers! A month ago I didn't own anything in this picture except for the 2 disassembled multimeters in the lower right corner (they are utter crap) and the helping hand (and a now retired R.S. 30 watt iron resting quietly in the bushes in my backyard.)

This all started with me finding GH 2 years ago because I wanted to know if I could BUY a Kinesis Advantage that was split in half. This is pretty much what happens when you try a project, and you get your ass thrown back at you.

Off to buy tweezers, a real multimeter, and a tool case to put all this stuff in...

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 15:04:06 by input nirvana »

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 15:44:20 »
Next thing you know you'll be like me, and go from having a cheap-a$$ meter and one soldering station salvaged from the trash (and assorted crap irons bought when caught somewhere, needing to solder, and not having station handy) to having two Flukes, a Simpson, and three soldering stations including a brand new Weller :)

On the upside, my soldering does look quite a bit more professional now, but I wish that Rat Shack had had some 63/37 in stock in a small diameter so I didn't have to use 60/40.  (doesn't seem like I messed anything up though.  208 joints, no failures )

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 16:02:16 »
Dang!!!!  That's a lotta stock! LOL

Big difference between 63/37 and 60/40??? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 16:41:21 »
Quote from: The Solutor;403290

The bigger irons, used by plumbers, are still made by bare copper.

I wonder if it has anything to do with acid flux.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 16:45:31 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403486

Yes.

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 17:35:43 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403486

Yes they are both cheap.

Being the quantities involved larger than in electronics, irons are often not coated, the soldering alloys used are often 50/50 or 40/60, and hydrochloric acid is used to clean the surfaces meant to be soldered.

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 19:36:57 »
So what do you use to lube the seal on your desoldering pump after cleaning?  Silicone grease?  just curious.  I know there's a part number on the instruction sheet but I'm hoping that it's something that I already have laying around.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 20:22:20 »
If the de-soldering pump o-ring is made of silicone, the use of silicone oil is appropriate.  Petroleum based oil will deteriorate rubber similar to using condoms with oil based lube.

"NONCORROSIVE FLUXES.— Noncorrosive fluxes are for soldering electrical connections and for other work that must be free of any trace of corrosive residue. Rosin is the most commonly used noncorrosive flux. In the solid state, rosin is inactive and noncorrosive. When heated, it melts and provides some fluxing action. Rosin is available in powder, paste, or liquid form. Rosin fluxes frequently leave a brown residue. This residue is nonconductive and sometimes difficult to remove. The removal problem can be reduced by adding a small amount of turpentine to the rosin. Glycerine is added to the rosin to make the flux more effective.

CORROSIVE FLUXES.— Corrosive fluxes have the most effective cleaning action, but any trace of corrosive flux that remains on the work can cause corrosion later. For this reason, corrosive fluxes are not used on electrical connections or other work where corrosion would cause a serious problem.

The most commonly used corrosive fluxes are salammoniac (ammonium chloride) and zinc chloride. These fluxes are frequently used in either solution or in paste form. The solvent, if present, evaporates as the work heats, leaving a layer of solid flux on the work. When the metal reaches the soldering temperature, this layer of flux melts, partially decomposes, and liberates hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid dissolves the oxides from the work surfaces and the solder, making them ready for soldering."  -Source

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 20:33:25 »
I'll stick with brass scrubbies and flux, hopefully I won't get too much tip oxide and have to go the Sal route. :)

The Hakko 808 mentioned seems like a great way to go de-soldering a lot of contacts. Self-contained.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 20:53:04 »
Salammoniac flux is not used on electrical connections and is in fact corrosive.  

The only use I see for it is if rosin flux cannot remove the heavy oxidation from neglected tips as a last resort.  The corrosive nature of ammonium chloride on the tip's tin coating is questionable which is why it could be a last ditch effort.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 20:59:28 »
Yea, thanks. I'll save the money until I reach the point my tips are that poor (if that's how it plays out). These tips are pricey. I assume if the oxides don't get too bad, you can usually keep them clean? If you let them get blackened, it's a more serious issue and then to try the sal? Fortunately the least of my concerns for now, I gotta get busy and use/ruin a few things first...  lol
Thanks for that, it clarifies what I knew only a little about.

Offline N8N

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 15:28:01 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403572
If the de-soldering pump o-ring is made of silicone, the use of silicone oil is appropriate.  Petroleum based oil will deteriorate rubber similar to using condoms with oil based lube.

Well, I guess that's the question.  Is that O-ring typically a silicone rubber, and how would I determine that?

Fortunately, I do not have experience with the issue that you use as an example :)

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 15:35:09 »
"Silicone grease is an amorphous fumed, silica-thickened, polysiloxane-based compound, which can be used to provide lubrication and corrosion resistance. Since it is not oil-based, it is often used where oil-based lubricants would attack rubber seals. Silicone greases also maintain stability under high temperatures. They are often used, in pure form or mixed with zinc oxide, to join heat sinks to computer CPUs."
"The grease helps to prevent joints from "freezing", as well as ensuring high vacuum systems are properly sealed." -Source

EDIT: Silicone oil or grease is also not detergent based, which has an affinity for dirt and the like, thus making it last longer.  If a high viscosity lubricant (grease) prohibits the functionality of the pump, use a lower viscosity, aerosol silicone.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25004[/ATTACH]

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 19:26:31 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403572

It's exactly the opposite, silicone oil/grease should be avoided on silicone rubber. And mineral oils should be avoided with some other synthetic rubbers...

http://www.marcorubber.com/materialguide.htm

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 19:52:19 »
Sources saying silicone oil is compatible with silicone o-rings:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/448597-REG/Fantasea_Line_11192_Silicone_O_Ring_Grease.html
Silicone lubes are being falsely advertised as being compatible with silicone o-rings all over the place.  It really should be illegal to false advertise, have to research everything these days, ugh.  

Sources saying silicone oil is not compatible with silicone o-rings
http://www.allorings.com/compatibility.htm
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SC=none&SM=Silicone#chem

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 20:00:06 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;404588
Sources saying silicone oil is compatible with silicone o-rings:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/448597-REG/Fantasea_Line_11192_Silicone_O_Ring_Grease.html
Silicone lubes are being falsely advertised as being compatible with silicone o-rings all over the place.  It really should be illegal to false advertise, have to research everything these days, ugh.  

Sources saying silicone oil is not compatible with silicone o-rings
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SC=none&SM=Silicone#chem

Is not said that there's a false advertising, just the solvents involved may be different.

BTW when in doubt just use mineral oil with silicone and silicone with other rubbers natural or not.

Offline Konrad

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 20:01:27 »
Hmm, I've never had to lube up a desoldering pump.  I usually just replace the $2 tip on the $10 tool, in fact the entire tool usually needs to be replaced long before the internal O-rings ever fail, often because the casing cracks after dropping too many times (oopsy).  The tips seem to usually be made of some kind of heat-resistant PTFE/Teflon or Nylon66 plastic, similar to those used in bus terminals and power connectors.  Some economy is required, I do a LOT of soldering (trust me) and really, the $10 tool works well enough as-is without pimping it out with bling.  Drop two or three (or a whole shoebox) of them on the ground over the years and you'll have plenty of spare O-rings if that's a concern.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 20:14:12 »
I've read forums where people have had the same manual de-soldering pump from the 70's with a metal bore and are still using it to this day.  Now they are mainly constructed with plastic bores, instead.  Goes to show how the mighty artificially inflating US dollar, which all other currencies "value" are based on, makes any one product in existence with the best workmanship and quality of materials more of an impossibility to create as time progresses.

Money it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away

Still, if their disposable as you say they are, there has to be a brand of de-soldering pumps that are worth the price and last much longer to compensate in the long run...

Offline Konrad

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 20:46:13 »
I suppose I could machine my own uber quality desoldering pump.  But, again, it's a $10 disposable part, and of course I don't like throwing money away but there comes a point where the fugly PVC tape patches cost you more hassle than they're worth and I'd rather spend my time working on a more useful productive focus than engineering superior versions of cheapass auxilliary tools.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 20:59:12 »
There is one problem, money and debt does not exist.  Debt really is not recycling the 'finite resources on our planet, making human extinction inevitable, at the current rate.  haha, just kidding!  No seriously, there are many other planets like this one that have or to have seeds planted.  We are a spec in the sand, an experiment at most.

I feel the same way about lighters, so cheap and too easy to lose.  It is nice using filtered butane in the refillable ones, though.

Offline Konrad

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 23:49:22 »
The funny thing about lighters is that I used to buy one or two every week, could never figure out how and where the hell they kept disappearing because I'm a creature of habit and I instinctively distrust other smokers when they're holding my fire - yet I've seen the same cheap green lighter sitting in my jacket pocket every day for almost a year, don't know what to do with it since I quit smoking.  No doubt it'll mysteriously vanish the next time I actually need to burn something, amazing that I work with liquid metals every day but probably can't start a fire as well as a Neanderthal when I actually need to do so.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 23:53:46 »
Secret to not losing lighters: Buy an expensive one.

Offline Konrad

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 02:29:51 »
Hmphf, that logic never seems to prevent my expensive software CDs from mysteriously vanishing.

Offline bluecar5556

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 08:40:55 »
An idea is back them up with disc cloning software, such as cloneDVD with anyDVD (removes protection) by Slysoft (for Windows,) and keep the originals locked away in a fire proof safe for safe keeping.  Works every time.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 18:08:26 »
I like it in the old country. You get caught with something that's not yours, they cut off your hand.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2011, 01:59:01 by input nirvana »

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 00:42:38 »
Picked up a Hakko brass tip cleaner and holder the other day when I was getting some parts for a repair job.  Best $14cdn I spent in a long damn time!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 01:34:56 »
Yes, it's very slick, the only thing I know of that's better, is this:

Costs a lot more than $14cnd.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 May 2012, 01:11:49 by reaper »

Offline Lanx

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:44:39 »
question, if i don't strip the rubber off a wire (no idea what it's called) can i just burn off a little bit with the solder iron, then solder it fast? will it damage my tip? i'm making multiple point to point connections with wire and contacts, and i'm tired of cutting and stripping each wire section per connection.