Author Topic: 3-star Wrist Rest vs Filco - Quick Comparison  (Read 12119 times)

Offline chet0

3-star Wrist Rest vs Filco - Quick Comparison
« on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 02:48:52 »
Leather - 3-star is darker, has more imperfections; overall, I like the 3-star ones slightly more. They feel very similar.

Shape - Filco isn't flat, 3-star is flat.

Functionaility - Filco's bottom layer is made of a special material that helps the entire pad stay in place better. 3-star is completely covered in leather. My 3-star wrist rest slides unexpectedly at times. :(

Others - 3-star smells like genuine leather. Filco has a chemical smell to it, could be the special coating.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2010, 04:42:01 by chet0 »
Keyboards owned: XD87 with lubed aliaz, a few Topres, Logitech 815 (tactile).

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 03:21:54 »
I can't comment on the Filco wristrest, but I have the three-star one and it's pretty good.
But I can definitely relate to the sliding problem. I have to have the front lip of the keyboard sitting on top of it to keep it steady.

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 03:23:05 »
Thanks for the comparison!

How's the 55g holding up for ya?

Offline chet0

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 04:16:17 »
It's still great! Key Caps are the best I've ever used, love the keyswitch as well :)

Right now I got the itch to try lotsa switches! Just got me a Brown Cherry.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 06:59:59 »
Shelf liner.  That is all.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 15:29:17 »
Can you guys explain the sliding problem? I took this into consideration when I specified the materials, and even tried the prototypes out on different surfaces to make sure they had suitable grip, but my assumptions are based on proper typing form wherein the only force on the palm rest is downward while resting between typing phrases. If you rest your palms while reaching for function keys, creating a forces parallel to your typing surface, then I'd say "you're doing it wrong".

I did consider using suede or some other material on the bottom that would provide more friction, but I wanted to avoid having a brick on the desk that prevents ease of movement when you need to slide your board and palm rest back and forth; i.e. my typical work pattern requires that I push the keyboard and palm rest back toward my LCD about 20cm so that I can lay some papers or other item front of me, then when I'm done I slide the keyboard/rest back towards me as a unit; which is why I've never been a fan of those foam/gel palm rests that stick to the desk like a floppy chunk of clay...

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 17:14:36 »
I seem to recall some posts mentioning the lack of a steel base like in the filco as one of the contributing factors in the sliding.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 17:20:16 »
The 3-stars weigh more than the FILCO and have a thicker piece of steel in them.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 18:58:03 »
Quote from: majestouch;245633
The 3-stars weigh more than the FILCO and have a thicker piece of steel in them.

Really? I guess I've must have misread the post. Either way it seems like for those posts that I read; to them it didn't seem so.

Guess the backing on the filco is that much of a factor in it. Sorta like a mousepad with a good backing.

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 20:20:34 »
Quote from: majestouch;245581
Can you guys explain the sliding problem?

I have the nasty habit of resting my wrists as I type and if I do this without the board sitting on the lip of the rest I find that after a while the palm wrest will have moved around.

The rest is definitely heavy but it's just not sticky enough.
The behaviour you describe for those cheap sticky-backed gel rests is actually what I would prefer.

Nothing will beat the feel of the 3-star for me; but I'm wondering if it'd also be unbeatable in a sliding race along my desktop - something I don't want :(

Offline chet0

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 November 2010, 20:35:56 »
Okay, I play games, hit the F-keys quite a bit... also when typing numbers quickly... my hand (as well as wrist) moves slightly forward to hit the key. Also,

The problem usually occurs when I adjust back to my normal position... i.e. I bring my wrist back a bit. While doing all this, part of my palm is still on the wrist rest. Therefore there's some lateral force/friction.

Not all times, but sometimes.... I just take the wrist rest back with me, causing it to slide.

My desk is wood, painted with a clear-coat on it  if that is at all relevant.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 14:05:25 »
I would not recommend using a wrist rest. Wrist rests encourage people to rest their wrists while typing instead of keeping them elevated. In addition, if you're into avoiding RSI, why not rest your wrists in a position that's different from typing?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 14:43:00 »
Hrm, I actually agree with MSW.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 14:53:21 »
What is the cliche about a million monkeys and a million pens writing Shakespeare, or something?

...Because even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

woody

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 15:09:49 »
Few years ago I started using wrist rest. Wrist aches decreased, were bad before that.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 15:14:10 »
I think it depends on the person; I, too, use a wrist rest.  Do what feels comfortable - that's what's right.