Author Topic: Can I improve my typing speed using a mechanical keyboard?  (Read 55651 times)

Offline froogle

Can I improve my typing speed using a mechanical keyboard?
« on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 07:23:54 »
Or is it just the general feel of the keyboard that is pleasurable?

Opinions please.

I currently use a White Alps keyboard that in my opinion isn't all that great; as in, I find normal membrane keyboards just as nice to type on (as long as they are new)

I have a friend who achieve 100+wpm (ie. 120wpm) using an apple low profile aluminium keyboard....ya know, the one that is thin as a pancake.

So, I dunno, I might just ditch my White Alps and get that keyboard because it 1) looks nice 2) is much quieter.....3) low profile?

I understand that many of you here ditched rubber dome membrane keyboards and say that keyboards such as the Logitech G15 are just 'lawl'.

thanks in advance.

Offline LaneWeaver

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 08:38:15 »
I improved my fastest ever WPM score in Typeracer by ~10 on my BW over my old MS Comfort Curve 2000. Take that however you want.

Truthfully, a mechanical keyboard won't instantly improve your typing speed dramatically. If you find a keyboard you enjoy typing on, however, you'll have more incentive to type more and maybe improve your typing speed. A higher WPM comes with lots of practice, not so much a new keyboard. As much as I want to say this keyboard has improved my typing speed, it hasn't really done so. It does feel a TON better than my old keyboard and even my GF loves it.

I've typed on the Apple chiclet keyboards before and they felt really good. But that was before I got this keyboard, and it's a world of a difference, IMO. The key travel and the tactile feedback on this BW feel so good in comparison.

Final thought: get whatever keyboard feels good to you. If that's a G15, Apple chiclet keyboard or a mechanical keyboard, so be it.
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL | Razer BlackWidow

Offline ironman31

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 20:05:05 »
lighter keyboards are usually the only ones that improve my speed by a good amount (i.e. Browns improve on average about 10 wpm) But they are definitely not my favorite switch.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 20:17:26 »
Quote from: LaneWeaver;263963
I've typed on the Apple chiclet keyboards before and they felt really good.

Eegads, you actually *liked* that keyboard? For nearly a year, I tried to get used to it, but it was nothing but pain, for the entire year.

Chiclet keyboards = death/nasty/grossness.

To the OP, get yourself a nice buckling spring or a topre, and you'll be happy as a pig in mud.

Or you might even like the evil cherries. I've yet to enjoy typing on one. The browns are too light, and the blues just feel weird to me. You would think I'd like the blues, since I'm in love with BS keyboards, but I haven't had a very good experience with any yet.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 20:41:53 »
I find that I get angry much faster when typing on a rubber dome, because I hit they keys very hard in order for they to register. It's really annoying to miss-type because the rubber didn't make contact properly.

When I use a proper keyboard I get angry from other things ;)
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 11:13:16 »
Quote from: Minskleip;264332
I find that I get angry much faster when typing on a rubber dome, because I hit they keys very hard in order for they to register. It's really annoying to miss-type because the rubber didn't make contact properly.

It seems to be similar for stock Cherry G81-3000s. Key misses due to off-center operating friction tend to drive most people bonkers, regardless of what kind of board it is. Crappy rubber dome developing higher and higher actuation force is another problem that ensures frustration, of course.

Boards suited for fast typing tend to be reasonably light, smooth, springy, tactile and consistent in action, with an actuation point not too far down. Some other factors like keycap shape also influence things. There is some overlap with the factors contributing to a "good keyboard" in general.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ynih

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 12:02:11 »
Typing speed is mainly associated with your typing style and lots of practice.  I came from scissor switch keyboards (IBM Thinkpads and Logitech UltraX) and from there I was already around 90~100WPM.  After I got Model M, I eventually reached the same speeds as my flat/low-profile keyboards, but I definitely spent more energy getting there.  With my Filco Cherry MX Blue and Brown boards, I'm also currently about 95~100 WPM.  

The bottom line is, I wouldn't say the different keyboards made me a faster typist (maybe I just have poor typing discipline), but the tactile feel and audio feedback of the clicky switches definitely make my typing experience overall more enjoyable.
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 22:05:07 »
I had an immediate improvement in speed simply because I didn't have to stop and correct my mistakes every other word due to non registered keystrokes.  Once I got a reliable What-you-type-is-what-you-get board I could stop futzing around and just type without problems.  Easily gained an additional 20 wpm from that alone.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline DroopySWE

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 22:39:48 »
So... which switch will make you the fastest typer? Cherry MX blues or cherry mx browns?

Offline msiegel

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 22:51:40 »
agree: -1 on the browns for lack of feedback

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline DroopySWE

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 23:04:13 »
Yeah, I'm getting the Filco with MX Blues next week :)

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 03:11:32 »
That depends.  If your current keyboard is really something really horrible, like a Logitec, then you could see a substantial increase in speed.  Of course, it also depends on what you are replacing it with.  As far as mechanical keyboards being 'faster' than rubber domes, I've typed on good and bad mechanical keyboards, just as I've typed on good and bad domed keyboards.  I've learned that, as long as you choose one of the better keyboards, speed is not significantly affected by keyboard quality.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline adhoc

Re: Can I improve my typing speed using a mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:36:20 »
From my experience I peak at 110-115 WPM on my blue MX switches. I peak 115-120 WPM on my keyboard at work, which is as cheap as can be keyboard Dell for a few €/$.

Basically, in average I "lose" 5 words per minute due to using a much more expensive keyboard at home. However, I happily lose those 5 words per minute because typing on this Dell is god awful and that Cherry just makes me want to type, hence I probably could type a lot more in the long run anyway.

Will a mechanical keyboard make you a faster typist? No, I don't think so. Will it make you want to type more? Yes, I really, really do believe so.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:38:34 »
There is only one option:

Practice touch typing not hunt and peck typing.

It's easy to do online using typing tutors like:

http://www.typingweb.com/
http://www.ratatype.com/
http://www.10fastfingers.com/

All these websites have free lessons where you can practice and improve your typing skills.
A bit of necro bumping I see.  :)) Last post information for this thread prior to necro bumping:

Posted by: 8_INCH_FLOPPY« on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 18:11:32 »

There was a bit of discussion about whether or not would a keyboard with mechanical switches would actually improve one's typing. It was somewhat more or less concluded that the main benefit would be if the user knows how to touch type properly. Mechanical keyboards are pleasing to touch on fingers, may sound pleasing aurally and generally lasts for quite some time but it does not always equate to one being able to achieve a substantially higher amount of words per minute on typing tests. Sure maybe a few words extra on some cases but not something like more than 10 words per minute for instance.

Source:
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:52:32 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:39:12 »
holy necro batman!

Offline adhoc

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:40:25 »
It wasn't me! :D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:41:43 »
holy necro batman!

What's up with this, seriously...

Annas keeps reviving threads that have long been dead, just to advertise typing tutor/WPM sites.

Am I the only one that has a problem with this?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:49:04 »
holy necro batman!

Annas keeps reviving threads that have long been dead, just to advertise typing tutor/WPM sites.

Maybe he is really into typing training websites.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 08:01:05 »
holy necro batman!

Maybe he is really into typing training websites.

I mean if he posted other stuff from time to time I wouldn't care, but that's all he posts is links to typing websites.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Tony

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 08:19:18 »
5-10 wpm but no more. You cannot improve your own nervous system which control the speed of your reflexes.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 15:10:42 »
5-10 wpm but no more. You cannot improve your own nervous system which control the speed of your reflexes.

My nervous system is not improved by the resuscitation of all these old threads!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline spremino

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 15:14:48 »
First: some people will always type faster than others, no matter how much others practice.

Second: a quality mechanical keyboard will allow you to type faster because you will type confidently thanks to its precise feedback. Such precise feedback lasts throughout the life of a mechanical keyboard, whilst -- as you have pointed out -- rubber dome keyboards are good only while they are new.

Third: typing fast is also a matter of economy of motion. That's the reason your friend can type so fast on a keyboard with a short key travel. So, a keyboard like his could be a good choice, if you are after speed. However, the consensus is that bottoming out is bad for the health of your fingers, and on keyboards with a short key travel you can't avoid bottoming out. If you type a lot, then that would matter and you may consider a healthier alternative.

Fourth: if you don't employ a formal typing technique, then finding a mechanical switch that works for your typing technique can be an expensive process. An expense that you may want to skip by grabbing a keyboard like your friend's, that you know it will work.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline Canious

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:10:13 »
In all honesty I don't think getting a mechanical keyboard is going to help you type faster. It really depends on how long you've practiced/how much you type. For instance, I can still type 95+ wpm on my girlfriend's POS laptop that barely has any travels and still type 90+ WPM on my filco blues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:14:05 »
FWIW there might a slight edge as most well-used rubber dome keyboards I have experienced have had a few keys that stick as you press them down, or require randomly uneven force across the board.

A mechanical keyboard should have even force across the board (or a carefully weighted distribution), which might help bump the typing speed a little bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline genkidama

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:18:05 »
FWIW

What does this say?

Third: typing fast is also a matter of economy of motion. That's the reason your friend can type so fast on a keyboard with a short key travel. So, a keyboard like his could be a good choice, if you are after speed. However, the consensus is that bottoming out is bad for the health of your fingers, and on keyboards with a short key travel you can't avoid bottoming out. If you type a lot, then that would matter and you may consider a healthier alternative.

Could you elaborate on why it's bad for your fingers? I kind of like to bottom out as I like the sound it makes on my mech with browns. I guess I'm bottoming out lesser with my mech than my rubberdome I used before but still I'm curious.

As for mech improving the typing speed. For me it did improve my typing speed. I used 10fastfingers.com for my reference and used it for 3 to 4 days where I just made 3-4 examples of my wpm on a rubberdome and when my mech finally came and I got used to it I did the same thing with the mech and I kinda jumped up about 10 wpm. But I think it all depends on the person and like spremino said: for me the precise feedback gives me a little edge and that's why I'm typing a little faster. Others may not notice it that much like I do and maybe others don't like browns and need Blues and can improve. But still it's all person dependent.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:30:21 »
FWIW

What does this say?

For what it's worth.

Sort of implies an afterthought, something that you might think about, but which might not be a deciding factor.  Also implies an opinion more so than hard fact.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:31:19 »
Thanks for the detailed answers  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:35:12 »
Thanks for the detailed answers  :))

Bitte :)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 00:03:54 »
First: some people will always type faster than others, no matter how much others practice.

Second: a quality mechanical keyboard will allow you to type faster because you will type confidently thanks to its precise feedback. Such precise feedback lasts throughout the life of a mechanical keyboard, whilst -- as you have pointed out -- rubber dome keyboards are good only while they are new.

Fourth: if you don't employ a formal typing technique, then finding a mechanical switch that works for your typing technique can be an expensive process. An expense that you may want to skip by grabbing a keyboard like your friend's, that you know it will work.

EDIT: When I said that you don't get faster without not bottoming out, I meant by switching over. Progress will still exist, it just won't make much of a difference between the boards if they are treated the same.

I'd like to mention that at higher speeds from large amounts of practice, say 120+, improvement is nonexistent unless one is able to frequently not bottom out. That's really the only typing advantage that mechanicals offer, the ability to not bottom out and register keys. I'm maybe a few wpm faster on my MX Blue board than HP rubber dome, but I also type on my Blue at night when I'm rather sleepy.  I agree with the tactile feedback bit, it's very difficult for me to type accurately on mushy boards.

As far as the third point, though, short key travel does not equate to typing speed. I can relate this because almost all very fast typists use mechanicals without bottoming out much, while using a rubber dome leads to overuse in force, likely because of the variances in force required to depress each dome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 10:59:20 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:53:06 »
I'd like to point out that there are no fast typers that do not bottom out and the fastest ones we've seen at all of the competitions do indeed bottom out.

Bottoming out = hitting bottom.   It does not mean you only bottom out 30% of the time...30% of the time means you bottom out when you type. 

Mechanical keyboards will likely not make a significant difference in your typing speed...practice and technique and a bit of natural ability will definitely help a lot more. 

On the plus side, mechs are so much more enjoyable to use, you might just end up wanting to learn to type faster.  Or, it could be you find the right combination of things that really does make an impact for you personally.

But in general, it won't make any difference in speed...don't buy one thinking it will.  Buy one because you want to use a quality instrument and have greater enjoyment from it. 

Offline IMHB

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:12:14 »
I'd like to point out that there are no fast typers that do not bottom out and the fastest ones we've seen at all of the competitions do indeed bottom out.

Bottoming out = hitting bottom.   It does not mean you only bottom out 30% of the time...30% of the time means you bottom out when you type. 

Mechanical keyboards will likely not make a significant difference in your typing speed...practice and technique and a bit of natural ability will definitely help a lot more. 

On the plus side, mechs are so much more enjoyable to use, you might just end up wanting to learn to type faster.  Or, it could be you find the right combination of things that really does make an impact for you personally.

But in general, it won't make any difference in speed...don't buy one thinking it will.  Buy one because you want to use a quality instrument and have greater enjoyment from it.

yes apparently fast typers prefer using black switches and they don't bottom out when they type....

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:46:41 »

yes apparently fast typers prefer using black switches and they don't bottom out when they type....

I don't know much about the latter statement but the point with former statement is to prevent people looking at the legends printed on their keyboard. If one does not know how to touch type, giving them a keyboard with no legends like a Das keyboard won't improve their typing speeds. It will probably either make them sick of using keyboards for instance or ultimately learn how to touch type.

The whole point of touch typing is to not really look at the legends printed on the keys. It was somewhat covered in another thread where Linkbane mentioned of how it rehashes one's muscle memory. If one remembers the layout in their heads they wouldn't care if the keyboard they are using are printed keycaps or not.

The only case from there on that may matter is if one changes to specific keyboard layouts such as Dvorak or completely different standard e.g. from ANSI to ISO.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline spremino

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 05:55:24 »

Could you elaborate on why it's bad for your fingers? I kind of like to bottom out as I like the sound it makes on my mech with browns. I guess I'm bottoming out lesser with my mech than my rubberdome I used before but still I'm curious.

What? There is no consensus around here about bottoming out being stressful for one's fingers? I stand corrected then. And now that I have realized that people who have not been taught formal typing, type in a way that stresses one's joints less, I understand that there can even be people who enjoy bottoming out.

Actually, I am starting to think that indeed chiclet keyboards are the keyboards of the future. We should embrace them and update our typing technique.

As far as the third point, though, short key travel does not equate to typing speed. I can relate this because almost all very fast typists use mechanicals without bottoming out much, while using a rubber dome leads to overuse in force, likely because of the variances in force required to depress each dome.

I should have said "short actuation point" instead of "short travel", because I meant that the quicker a key actuates, the quicker you can release it.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 06:37:28 »

What? There is no consensus around here about bottoming out being stressful for one's fingers? I stand corrected then. And now that I have realized that people who have not been taught formal typing, type in a way that stresses one's joints less, I understand that there can even be people who enjoy bottoming out.

And still I stand here dazzled about how bad it really is for the fingers. I'm relatively new here so I do not know, but I get that you are being joky here ^^

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 06:46:10 »

I'd like to mention that at higher speeds from large amounts of practice, say 120+, improvement is nonexistent unless one is able to frequently not bottom out. That's really the only typing advantage that mechanicals offer, the ability to not bottom out and register keys. I'm maybe a few wpm faster on my MX Blue board than HP rubber dome, but I also type on my Blue at night when I'm rather sleepy.  I agree with the tactile feedback bit, it's very difficult for me to type accurately on mushy boards.

Can you explain how this user improved from a 120wpm average to her current overall average of 144wpm, calculated over the course of 12602 races on Typeracer, while using an non-mechanical keyboard where she must bottom out each and every keystroke?

So, I tend to agree with spremino's statement that: "typing fast is also a matter of economy of motion. That's the reason your friend can type so fast on a keyboard with a short key travel", as in the case of her keyboard, distance to actuation = full key travel (3.2mm). A person typing on a scissor switch is basically equivalent to someone not bottoming out as you say on a mechanical keyboard 'every' time, i.e. 100% not bottoming out.

Therefore, short key travel does equate to typing speed.

scissor: short key travel == distance to actuation (2mm)
rubber dome: long key travel == distance to actuation (3.5-4.0mm)
mechanical: short key travel == distance to actuation (2mm)

**I assume your standard of 120+wpm refers to 10fastfingers? In this case, Fyda's average on 10fastfingers would be way higher than 144.

Highest wpm are recorded on typeracer because sometimes there are very short, easy texts.
But overall averages are way lower on typeracer, due to the addition of punctuation and capitalisation.

Let's compare 10fastfingers with typeracer:

ChimChim
10fastfingers:
average wpm 150
highest wpm 164

Typeracer (chimchimchim) - ranked 217:
average wpm 116.8
highest wpm 177

sean wrona (arenasnow)
ten fast fingers
average wpm 194
highest wpm 211

typeracer (arenasnow2) - ranked 1st:
average wpm 176.5
highest wpm 256
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:49:24 by BlackWidowMan777 »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:37:04 »
Whoever that person is, I have doubts that s/he is typing on Typeracer.  It's too short to be a typical typeracer run, she appears to never hit comma or period, and she only hits shift twice, as far as I can see.

That being said, the concept that you have to use a mechanical keyboard to type that fast is complete BS.  The fastest typists I've ever seen (medical transcriptionists) were using bombed-out rubber dome Microsoft keyboards.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:48:12 »
Whoever that person is, I have doubts that s/he is typing on Typeracer.  It's too short to be a typical typeracer run, she appears to never hit comma or period, and she only hits shift twice, as far as I can see.

That being said, the concept that you have to use a mechanical keyboard to type that fast is complete BS.  The fastest typists I've ever seen (medical transcriptionists) were using bombed-out rubber dome Microsoft keyboards.

Oh, she is definitely on typeracer, as the next video shows. Her old keyboard, a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard went out on her and this is her typing on day 34 of using a friend's Das Ultimate (blues).

Barbara Blackburn could type faster over a 50 min period on a manual typewriter than sean wrona can on a modern keyboard. So yeah I agree with your last statement.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:49:43 by BlackWidowMan777 »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 10:57:41 »
Mean to take back my statement, my meaning was definitely unclear.
I didn't mean to say that you couldn't get better with bottoming out, I mean that switching over to a mechanical won't help you get faster if you still bottom out every keystroke. You should still improve like on a RD.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:11:48 »
I occasionally need to type on the Apple Alum board and I am surprised how fast I can type on it.  For a scissor switch its a nice board.  What I cant do is type a very long time on it, for some reason (I am guessing its the solid alum plate combined with very short travel) my fingers get very fatigued, especially my joints if I type too long on it. 

As for short travel I actually found that when I tried o-rings out to quiet the bottoming out sound and the side product of it reducing travel didnt speed me up or slow me down.  I never did get used to feeling of the o-rings so took them off.  With them on I found myself bottoming out nearly 100% of the time vs. a small percentage of the time when casually typing.  At full speed I tend to bottom 100% of the time again but the feeling was still worse, but that is another thread.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline spremino

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:12:57 »
And still I stand here dazzled about how bad it really is for the fingers. I'm relatively new here so I do not know, but I get that you are being joky here ^^

Actually, I was serious. Bottoming out is considered bad, but I think that that applies to people who type with their fingers curled, like formally taught typists do. With fingers curled, the stress of bottoming out is transmitted throughout the finger. OTOH, I have seen that many people type with their fingers extended and I think that, by doing so, they avoid stressing their joints in the same manner.

Try tapping on a table with your fingers curled, then extended, and see the difference for yourself.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:15:29 »
I occasionally need to type on the Apple Alum board and I am surprised how fast I can type on it.  For a scissor switch its a nice board.  What I cant do is type a very long time on it, for some reason (I am guessing its the solid alum plate combined with very short travel) my fingers get very fatigued, especially my joints if I type too long on it. 

As for short travel I actually found that when I tried o-rings out to quiet the bottoming out sound and the side product of it reducing travel didnt speed me up or slow me down.  I never did get used to feeling of the o-rings so took them off.  With them on I found myself bottoming out nearly 100% of the time vs. a small percentage of the time when casually typing.  At full speed I tend to bottom 100% of the time again but the feeling was still worse, but that is another thread.

Personally I hate Apple boards; they travel is far, far too short and the difference between hitting the switch and sliding it is pretty much nothing. I can't get more than 90% of my speed on one.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:41:57 »

Actually, I was serious. Bottoming out is considered bad, but I think that that applies to people who type with their fingers curled, like formally taught typists do. With fingers curled, the stress of bottoming out is transmitted throughout the finger. OTOH, I have seen that many people type with their fingers extended and I think that, by doing so, they avoid stressing their joints in the same manner.

Try tapping on a table with your fingers curled, then extended, and see the difference for yourself.

I've seen someone type like this in a video on here...where they didn't bottom out and typed with their fingers extended...but it was so slow I just couldn't imagine actually doing that and it being even remotely usable.  Of course everyone's definition of usable is different but there just seems to be no advantage to doing it that way.  It might not be too bad if we only typed using home row but we don't so if your fingers are extended the only way to change rows is to move your wrists a bit which is incredibly inefficient...

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:01:31 »

I've seen someone type like this in a video on here...where they didn't bottom out and typed with their fingers extended...but it was so slow I just couldn't imagine actually doing that and it being even remotely usable.  Of course everyone's definition of usable is different but there just seems to be no advantage to doing it that way.  It might not be too bad if we only typed using home row but we don't so if your fingers are extended the only way to change rows is to move your wrists a bit which is incredibly inefficient...

I must be missing something because I can't see how can anyone type with their fingers extended -- except maybe with two-finger hunt and peck.  Curling my fingers is the only way I can get four of them on the home row.  Extended, my fingers are all over the place -- one on the home row, one on a key in the qwerty row, another almost on a key in the qwerty row, and the pinky lost somewhere. 

Meanwhile, on the original theme of this thread, I agree with all who have said that speed is not the advantage of mechanical keyboards.  Typing, for me, is mostly a distance event rather than a sprint.  I want a board that feels good and enables me to sustain a high rate of speed and accuracy over the many hours a day I often spend at a keyboard. When I'm on the road, I often spend those hours on my Thinkpad, which works well enough.  But I'm happier with a mechanical.  The harder question is which mechanical, and there may be no final answer to that one.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:16:35 »
I must be missing something because I can't see how can anyone type with their fingers extended -- except maybe with two-finger hunt and peck.  Curling my fingers is the only way I can get four of them on the home row.  Extended, my fingers are all over the place -- one on the home row, one on a key in the qwerty row, another almost on a key in the qwerty row, and the pinky lost somewhere. 

What you're missing is that your fingers aren't completely extended, and they are angled inwards rather than straight. On a QWERTY board, which I haven't used in a while, the fingers generally rest on AWEF or QWEF and QIO: .
Typing with curled fingers is slower, and it's worse moving them vertically.

Offline spremino

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:38:13 »

Indeed, I have read that some people rest their fingers on QWEF and JIOP (Qwerty), instead than of the home row.

People who type while resting their wrists will extend their fingers rather than move their hands like people who follow traditional typing technique. Go and see for yourself. Look for videos related to typing that are not teaching touch typing, and you will see everybody resting their wrists while typing.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 14:37:22 »

Indeed, I have read that some people rest their fingers on QWEF and JIOP (Qwerty), instead than of the home row.

People who type while resting their wrists will extend their fingers rather than move their hands like people who follow traditional typing technique. Go and see for yourself. Look for videos related to typing that are not teaching touch typing, and you will see everybody resting their wrists while typing.

This. Most typists rest their wrist because it is more comfortable and better for the wrists, while it seems to me that really fast typists float.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 14:51:41 »
To me it's the keycaps that I'm having a problem with on this board. Although I am trying to get used it, it is weird to type on it after typing on my K90. But with practice you can get faster. I wouldn't say that it's the switch that makes you faster but it is actually getting used to the shapes of the keycaps.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 19:27:01 »

This. Most typists rest their wrist because it is more comfortable and better for the wrists, while it seems to me that really fast typists float.

It is because it is more comfortable but not better for the wrists..People get lazy and just want to lay their wrists down..perfectly normal although not considered proper form or good for you...

Proper form (wrists floating) is supposed to be better for your hands and wrists (although if someone has research that counters this, that would be interesting to see).  I don't have any other data to back this other than this is how they've been teaching people to type for awhile.

When I'm just doing work and other stuff, my wrists are always down.....when I want to go for more speed they'll float...

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 19:32:32 »
Yes definitely

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 21:54:12 »
It is because it is more comfortable but not better for the wrists..People get lazy and just want to lay their wrists down..perfectly normal although not considered proper form or good for you...

Proper form (wrists floating) is supposed to be better for your hands and wrists (although if someone has research that counters this, that would be interesting to see).  I don't have any other data to back this other than this is how they've been teaching people to type for awhile.

When I'm just doing work and other stuff, my wrists are always down.....when I want to go for more speed they'll float...

Really? I suppose that the full hand Ergodox would be worse, then. I'd never really known the specifics of which was more ergonomic, it just seemed that resting would be better because they can be done at a lower energy use.