Author Topic: Zowie Celeritas or Filco Majestouch?  (Read 9898 times)

Offline HaiiYaa

Zowie Celeritas or Filco Majestouch?
« on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 09:50:32 »
I'm getting tired of playing sc2 with a black switch keyboard and i want to have one with cherry brown

the problem is that the filco cost 220$ and the Zowie cost 185$ with shipping
so i cant afford to pick the wrong one

what im looking for is a high quality keyboard that i will be using for a long time  that is great for gaming and not bad for typing

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 10:52:12 »
The Das Silent would be a better bet. It also has Cherry brown switches. And it's cheaper, gorgeous, and just as solid. Veterans, please correct me if I'm wrong.
"On important topics it is better to be a good deal prolix than even a very little obscure." -EAP

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 11:36:57 »
the das is not cheaper here in denmark :( even without shipping its 183$

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 11:46:03 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;287286
the das is not cheaper here in denmark :( even without shipping its 183$

Keyboardco is MUCH cheaper for a Filco. About 150 euros for a full sized Filco, including VAT and shipping to Denmark. See http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=623
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline JelinaNU

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 11:46:37 »
Hmm. It's US$135 out-the-door, here; that's the only reason I mentioned it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
"On important topics it is better to be a good deal prolix than even a very little obscure." -EAP

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 12:27:45 »
So its worth it to get the filco over the zowie?

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 12:28:58 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;287292
Keyboardco is MUCH cheaper for a Filco. About 150 euros for a full sized Filco, including VAT and shipping to Denmark. See http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=623

Do note that 150€ is just over $200 USD.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 12:46:09 »
I would say that many more people on here have a Filco.  I recently just saw an unboxing and review of the Celeritas, and it's the first I've seen on here.

If it's a matter of $20 USD, I'd go with the Filco!

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 13:20:55 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;287317
I would say that many more people on here have a Filco.  I recently just saw an unboxing and review of the Celeritas, and it's the first I've seen on here.

If it's a matter of $20 USD, I'd go with the Filco!

The only problem I have with the filco is the windows keys. I hate losing a game because of that

Offline Phaiger

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 14:13:39 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;287339
The only problem I have with the filco is the windows keys. I hate losing a game because of that

You know SC2 has a disable Windows-Key option? :)

Offline ajx

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 14:24:12 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;287243
I'm getting tired of playing sc2 with a black switch keyboard and i want to have one with cherry brown

what im looking for is a high quality keyboard that i will be using for a long time  that is great for gaming and not bad for typing
Filco, i got a Celeritas, its a great keyboard no doubt but letter's keys could be wear out after some hours of playing
no matter what you send as email, they wont reply
prolly, it will be my last last purchase of zowie stuffs
i gonna ban all their products until they become professional

Offline dxong

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 18:02:45 »
I was in same situation as your HaiiYaa. Be aware of getting a filco from keyboardco is gonna pain your wallet. There will be VAT + the off balanced conversion from $ to £. For that price it would be with nordic layout, so there will be 3 key letters that dont match to our native layout.

With that into consideration I am happy with my purchase of the Zowie Celeritas even though the key letters "wear" out. I am not sure if its a common problem to any lasered key prints, but this issue happens with both Black Widow and Steelseries which are also available in Denmark. I assume you are using a Steelseries since you are familiar with blackies so you are more than familiar with the issue.

If money isnt an issue, you could get an Filco. Is it worth it...? ...I wouldnt say so...

Offline Jago

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 18:16:44 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;287243

I was pondering the exact same question (Filco vs Zowie, heavy SC2 gaming) and ended up going with a Filco. I've been very happy with my choice.
Topre Realforce 88UB all-45g (home)
Filco Majestouch brown (work)

Offline ajx

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 18:51:42 »
Quote from: dxong;287473
I was in same situation as your HaiiYaa. Be aware of getting a filco from keyboardco is gonna pain your wallet. There will be VAT + the off balanced conversion from $ to £. For that price it would be with nordic layout, so there will be 3 key letters that dont match to our native layout.

With that into consideration I am happy with my purchase of the Zowie Celeritas even though the key letters "wear" out. I am not sure if its a common problem to any lasered key prints, but this issue happens with both Black Widow and Steelseries which are also available in Denmark. I assume you are using a Steelseries since you are familiar with blackies so you are more than familiar with the issue.

If money isnt an issue, you could get an Filco. Is it worth it...? ...I wouldnt say so...

well both cost nearly same
Celeritas 180 usd
Filco 200 usd
its very close by me

anyway i agre with you, Celeritas is very pleasant to type
but Zowie as company sucks
hope Logitech starts to built mechanical keyboard
they are a serius company which means having an excellent after sales services

Offline dxong

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 04:10:05 »
for us danish ppl, the celeritas cost 173 USD,  with shipping, 185 USD

from keyboardco for a filco, will cost 204 USD in total with shipping to Denmark. There is 19 USD in difference...

as I said if money isnt an issue, you can go for a filco to avoid the wearing off on key letters.

Edited: wrong conversion on my part xD sry about that but to my defense, keep in mind if there happen to be an issue with yoyr filco, it can become expensive with the shipping and time ...

20 USD isnt that much of a difference anyway if you are already set for a filco :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 January 2011, 05:15:27 by dxong »

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 04:33:18 »
Quote from: dxong;287664
for us danish ppl, the celeritas cost 118 USD,  with shipping, 131 USD

from keyboardco for a filco, will cost 204 USD in total with shipping to Denmark. There is 73 USD in difference...

as I said if money isnt an issue, you can go for a filco to avoid the wearing off on key letters.

where did u find it for 131usd :O ? just clicked buy for 131EURO maybe i can still cancel that

Offline dxong

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 05:16:29 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;287666
where did u find it for 131usd :O ? just clicked buy for 131EURO maybe i can still cancel that

no no wrong conversion..just edited ..sigh, :P

just keep your purchase order xd

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 09:13:13 »
the zowie doesnt sound so bad then if the only problem is the letters wearing out. I never experienced such problem with my 6gv2 and I had it for 2 months. I never eat at my computer, I always wash my hands before using my computer and clean it with isopropryl alcohol atleast 2times a week so it really isnt a big issue for me.

if ever it starting to look really bad i can always replace it with filco keys right?

Offline dxong

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 17:12:09 »
didnt u say the extra 20USD wasnt a big deal? thought u were goiing for a filco.

Ripster.
thought the issue was that the keys where non coated like the 6gv2 and black widow, not a matter of the material itself, or are u saying it isnt possible to keep a protective layer on nylon keys?

Offline ajx

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 17:24:35 »
Quote from: ripster;287731
Might be a reason no other keyboard manufacturer uses nylon keys.

any test before releasing it?
that s a very big mistake
guess they spent too much time to develop useless gaming stuffs such that rtr technology and less on building a long lived keyboard
blank keys after some weeks might be awful for most of us

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 20:03:47 »
Quote from: dxong;287944
didnt u say the extra 20USD wasnt a big deal? thought u were goiing for a filco.

Ripster.
thought the issue was that the keys where non coated like the 6gv2 and black widow, not a matter of the material itself, or are u saying it isnt possible to keep a protective layer on nylon keys?

you convinced me of the zowie :D

Offline h0tang

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 15:49:58 »
just found this in NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mechanical+keyboard&x=0&y=0 Zowie Mechanical, not sure its the Celeritas or not, no image yet.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 03:09:00 »
so i had the zowie for 2days now and i must say its an amazing keyboard. I had a little trouble getting used to cherry mx brown coming from blacks but now I'm already typing about 10wpm faster. I also played a couple of matches in starcraft 2 and i must say its perfect for that, and so far the keys look just as new

Also the build quality seems to match 6gv2 but the keys are lower which I find much more appealing

cons: Nothing about the keyboard so far but why are the prices so high in europe even its produced here? like 119euro converts into 119US dollar... that makes it 30% cheaper in the US

Offline ajx

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 03:22:04 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;289192
so i had the zowie for 2days now and i must say its an amazing keyboard. I had a little trouble getting used to cherry mx brown coming from blacks but now I'm already typing about 10wpm faster. I also played a couple of matches in starcraft 2 and i must say its perfect for that, and so far the keys look just as new

Also the build quality seems to match 6gv2 but the keys are lower which I find much more appealing

cons: Nothing about the keyboard so far but why are the prices so high in europe even its produced here? like 119euro converts into 119US dollar... that makes it 30% cheaper in the US
didnt you know they ever apply exchange rate between eur and usd?
brown switchs sound perfect for rts, you d be enjoy it
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 February 2011, 03:35:21 by ajx »