Author Topic: Thermaltake Meka G1 keyboard - First Impressions and Pics  (Read 17754 times)

Offline mrcultureshock

Thermaltake Meka G1 keyboard - First Impressions and Pics
« on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 21:52:47 »
Back story: my trusty Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 has become inconsistent and the keys have gotten stickier (~75g to bottom out the keys). So I decided to start looking for a mechanical keyboard. I almost bought a Topre 103U but decided to get something cheaper. The result is the Thermaltake MEKA G1.

Basic Specs

Cherry MX Black Switches
Standard keyboard layout with 104 keys
6KRO with USB, NKRO with PS/2 (included with the kb)
Basic media keys, triggered by a Fn key
Wrist rest included
2xUSB ports & audio pass through
Made in Taiwan

Packaging

It's really not very important, but I like the packaging a lot.  Everything is packed tightly and securely.

Exterior Looks

The Meka G1 has a standard, 104-key layout.  It doesn't have the same oversized Enter key as the Steelseries 7G and 6Gv2. F1 to F7 serve as media keys and can be activated by using the Fn key. The wrist rest attaches easily to the keyboard and feels pretty comfortable. The keys themselves feel plasticy and the texts are raised. The 3 LED indicator lights are red and very bright.

The cable is very stiff and quick thick.  There are 4 connectors at the end of the main cable: 1x USB (USB ports), 1x USB w/PS2, Audio (headset and microphone).

In the back of the keyboard you can find 2 USB ports and 2 audio pass through ports.

Overall Impressions

Coming from an ergonomic keyboard, the Meka G1 feels a bit restricted, but it's not cramped. The black switches feel very smooth, and a lot lighter than the rubber domes on my MS 4K board. I'm bottoming out when I type but I guess it's natural for a new mech kb user.

I like the convenience of the media keys and the additional ports in the back of the keyboard. However, both audio pass through ports have audible hiss on low volumes.  I'm not using these ports because of this problem, but it's not a big problem.  

Overall, the Meka G1 is a brand new typing experience for me. Everything feels light and effortless. I'm gonna use this keyboard for a week and go back to my rubber dome board just to see how much has changed. I haven't had the opportunity to game yet, but knowing that the black switches are good for gaming, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 23:07:45 »
Hadn't seen that board before, how much did you pay for it? I'm actually kind of impressed with the serious and compact design. You might expect big name boards to try to out-flash the Razors.

On a side note, am I the only one surprised Thermaltake didn't use blue switches? It's been rumored that Thermaltake even tried to get their USB flash drives to make noise, so surely they'd be all over clicky switches.:horn:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline mrcultureshock

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 23:30:15 »
I bought it at Amazon and paid $120. I would've preferred $99, but $20 more wasn't that bad and it was delivered overnight because I had Prime.

I quite like the black switches but I don't have anything to compare it to. Within a 50 mile radius of where I live, the only mechanical keyboard I could find was the Steeelseries 7G; I would've liked to try out the blue switches on the Razer Blackwidow, but I couldn't find them anywhere near my house.  Maybe in the future I'll try different switches.

Offline nigritude

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 23:35:27 »
it looks like a solid board

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 00:01:52 »
Gotta love that cable.

Offline mrcultureshock

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 00:23:12 »
Quote from: Brodie337;289149
Gotta love that cable.

It is definitely the thickest/stiffest cable I've ever seen on a keyboard. It's probably overkill but it looks nice.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 00:26:45 »
Nice pics you posted. I knew about that board but didn't know if it was available yet. That cable IS a beast.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 00:45:40 »
Anyway we can see what the keycaps look like from the underside?

Offline mrcultureshock

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 01:14:48 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;289168
Anyway we can see what the keycaps look like from the underside?

This is not my picture. I found it from a review published by a website in Taiwan:

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 01:17:22 »
Looks just like any Costar/Datacomp keyboard's keycaps. I guess there is not much new to be seen with keycaps after the Noppoo.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 12:03:23 »
Quote from: mrcultureshock;289155
It is definitely the thickest/stiffest cable I've ever seen on a keyboard. It's probably overkill but it looks nice.

To me, It looks like a shower hose.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Dr.Pepper

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 15:55:43 »
I'm glad more mainstream companies are getting into mechanical keyboards... come on Logitech, you're next! ( Wishful thinking )

A little side note, one of my friends Tylor doesn't want a mechanical keyboard. He was giving all sorts of bogus reasons, and I finally got him down to 1 reason why he wont buy a mechanical keyboard; It doesn't say Logitech, and wont have the same no questions asked warranty. Not to mention that he thinks the lettering on the Deck keyboards looks like sh**.
Keyboards:
Das Keyboard Ultimate ( Blue switches, blank )
IBM \'91 Model M White.

Wishlist:
Deck Legend Toxic ( With "Ghetto" Reds )
Poker Keyboard

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 16:54:37 »
Quote from: Dr.Pepper;307105
I'm glad more mainstream companies are getting into mechanical keyboards... come on Logitech, you're next! ( Wishful thinking )

A little side note, one of my friends Tylor doesn't want a mechanical keyboard. He was giving all sorts of bogus reasons, and I finally got him down to 1 reason why he wont buy a mechanical keyboard; It doesn't say Logitech, and wont have the same no questions asked warranty. Not to mention that he thinks the lettering on the Deck keyboards looks like sh**.

+1 on Logitech, very trusted brand
+1 on Deck, yucky font
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Geten123

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:32:11 »
Looks like a sturdy keyboard for sure. Infact ,i'll recommend it to my friend who's a bit eager to switch from a G15 to a mechanical keyboard. This board will suit him perfectly since he's an FPS-gamer. From my own experience I know that FPS's go hand in hand with Cherry Blacks.

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 11:16:26 »
I saw it at CeBIT 2011 and it was the very first time that i even touched a mech keyboard, it felt quite solid. Because this was the first time that i typed on a mech i can be wrong but i liked it for gaming(SC II), the lineair feeling was quite nice but i can imagine it being bad for typing in general.

A few stands later at the Intel Extreme Masters there was the Razer BW Ultimate and i typed on it for long enough to know that im in love with a keyboard. The clicky feeling, the "normal" layout, backlighting and overall quality just had me jizzing my pants.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 14:03:34 »
Thanks for this review, I saw this keyboard earlier and I wanted to look up a review on it.  Searched geekhack and sure enough a review came up, it's nice that even a pretty unknown keyboard (from what I've seen) has at least one review here!

Offline pitashen

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 15:32:11 »
That thick cable with all the connectors I don't need is a deal breaker for me.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:16:47 »
A Logitech Mech KB would rock so freakin hard!

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:38:36 »
Beastmaster White-Ra uses one, and that's good enough for me.

For those not in the know, White-Ra is a famous Ukrainian Starcraft player (Protoss) who recently and quite spectacularly took out oGsMC in the GSL World Championship. He does uses this Thermaltake keyboard.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline K5Doom

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:51:06 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;324548
Beastmaster White-Ra uses one, and that's good enough for me.

Show Image

For those not in the know, White-Ra is a famous Ukrainian Starcraft player (Protoss) who recently and quite spectacularly took out oGsMC in the GSL World Championship. He does uses this Thermaltake keyboard.

Wow nice I am watching GSL (White-Ra vs San Zenith) at the same time as browsing geekhack and went like Oh **** this guy looks exactly like White-RA. But yeah, it's him.

Offline dudebro

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 19:23:14 »
I saw the White-Ra vs ogsMC match as well. When he pulled out the keyboard to set up in his booth, Tasteless (the commentator) was all like "Whoa look at that! you could lock your bike with that thing!":lol:

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 21:53:29 »
It's a nice keyboard but it sorta looks like they cribbed some design specifications from the Adesso MKB-135B keyboard and replaced Blues with Blacks.

That's not a bad thing but that Adesso was $75, not $120.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline What is X?

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 April 2011, 23:17:25 »
anyone else think the centered letter placement is a bit weird? Doesn't look that strange really, but AFAIK most keyboards print in the top left...

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 00:24:53 »
if WhiteRa uses this keyboard, you know it's good.  the dude is literally an SC / Pro-Gaming Elder.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 06:49:29 »
He uses the SS 7g as well.
At the end it is all about sponsorship.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Evil_Spork

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 12:14:04 »
Quote from: sixty;289180
Looks just like any Costar/Datacomp keyboard's keycaps. I guess there is not much new to be seen with keycaps after the Noppoo.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?
Noppoo Choc Mini "Tea Axis"/MX Brown
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - SOLD!
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R Limited Edition Tenkeyless with MX Red

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 23:52:54 »
I'm so confused.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow