Author Topic: oh the options! need some help!  (Read 3735 times)

Offline jinrawke

oh the options! need some help!
« on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 15:57:50 »
Hello all!  I recently returned a G510 after somehow landing on the geekhack forums.  With that said, I am now in search of my first mechanical keyboard and the sheer amount of options is overwhelming.
I have read the wiki, and just about every single review and opinions about each type of switch and would like some feedback.

What I do on my computer -
- Web developer - Code in HTML/CSS/Jquery mostly, don't think it's as type-intensive as a blogger.  I do use my keypad from time to time for numerical entries.
- Gaming - Starcraft II (when is the Brotoss campaign coming out btw), WoW Arenas, HoN, and lite fps here and there (Quakelive etc).

I went to Fry's to see if I could try out the SteelSeries and the Razer BlackWidow to get a feel for cherry blacks and blues.  Unfortunately, they did not have the SteelSeries and I was only able to try the BW.  It certainly was fun but I'm not quite sure I like the 'sticky' feel to it and I 'think' I don't need all that tactile feedback... just seems overkill for my tastes.  With that said, I want to check out a brown switch for regular use and red for gaming.  Here is what I'm looking at.

I have a hard cap of $300.

1) I can go with a single keyboard... RF from EK.
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se05c0

2) Get 2 keyboard with different switches
    a) Gaming - black or red tenkeyless / compact
        - [$120] Noppoo Choc Mini linky
        - [$139] Filco black tenkeyless linky
        - [$???] Filco red tenkeyless linky

b) Coding - brown
        - [$117.67] (if they start shipping soon)EK Leopold Brown linky
        - [$140] Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Brown linky
        - [$139] Filco Brown tenkeyless linky

I'm not sure if this matters since it's on membranes but there was a difference with the Logitech G510 and G15 and I preferred the G510 because it had a softer feel.  This leads me to prioritizing the filco red tenkeyless and finding out some way to get my hands on one.  I thought the whole 'typing on a cloud of boobs' thing was kind of funny since I had described to a friend that typing on the G510 was like typing on 'magical clouds'.
Would anyone happen to know the approx cost to get one shipped from kbco?  What other places could I pick up this board and at what price?

For the cherry browns, it looks like Filco wins since the reviews I have read show that it is favorable compared to the other brands in the price bracket.  Is there any reason to get a Ducky or a Leopold besides finding an incredibly cheaper price?

Or maybe I should get 'the one to rule them all' and get the RF :D  But the concensus seems that I will probably end up getting one of each switch and RF would be the end point once I tried them all.

Any help and feedback would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 16:02:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
I say choose option 2.
Filco with Reds for gaming, and Fullsize or tenkeyless Filco with Browns for coding.
Blacks are nice for gaming as well since it's a Linear switch, but it requires more force to press, and I don't know if you're a heavy typer or not.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2011, 16:06:22 by Orphagn »
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline pcunite

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 17:07:46 »
The only way to know is to try. I am primarily a C++ developer with some php/html thrown into the mix. I am going with MX Blacks to start with. If I don't like them I'll try reds, then browns. I've done endless research and it all comes back to what you'll be most comfortable with personally.

What made Blacks seem like the logical conclusion is testing the key force on my current board with what Blacks are rated for. Do a search here for "RipOmeter".

Offline flyinout

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 17:22:49 »
Quote from: Orphagn;319102
Welcome to Geekhack!
I say choose option 2.
Filco with Reds for gaming, and Fullsize or tenkeyless Filco with Browns for coding.
Blacks are nice for gaming as well since it's a Linear switch, but it requires more force to press, and I don't know if you're a heavy typer or not.

Filco red from kbco ship to US will be $200+. he mentions the cap $300.
I would say 1 brown and  1 black to try and then sell the one he doesn't like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco tenkeyless Brown.Razer Deathadder 3500[/SIZE]

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 21:39:10 »
Quote from: flyinout;319155
Filco red from kbco ship to US will be $200+. he mentions the cap $300.
I would say 1 brown and  1 black to try and then sell the one he doesn't like.

Well it also depends on if Amazon gets Reds in again.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline cerhem293

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 22:09:44 »
Buy a Poker with reds for $99 in the group buy thread.  Then you'll have $200 left to put towards a realforce!  :biggrin:
:twitch:

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 22:15:34 »
I think you should get 2 keyboards if you can afford it, since you can have one at the office and one at home, which will bring your hands great comfort.

I am typing this post on a Filco brown and I recommend a Filco brown for you to try first. It is definitely nice to type on than a Logitech, and not very noisy.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline jinrawke

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 00:49:24 »
Thanks for the feedback!

Okay so I checked out the Rip0meter and the G15 took 13 nickels to buckle ~65g.  
I have pretty much just 'put up with it' but definitely can't say I enjoy typing on it.  It looks like I'll go find a brown first while waiting for a red to become available.  Now to decide if I want the Filco, Ducky, or Noppo... or even the Leopold if it begins to start shipping out in the next 4 days...

Quote from: cerhem293;319321
Buy a Poker with reds for $99 in the group buy thread.  Then you'll have $200 left to put towards a realforce!  :biggrin:

I did think about that but it looks like a Poker red is 12-14 weeks out...  pretty long time to wait :P

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 08:27:27 »
One point that may help decide. You mentioned that you wanted a Brown-switch and felt like the quality of the Filco made it appealing. . . and you do code with some numerical entry.

TKC sells a non-NKRO Brown Filco fullsize for $119 (shipped, if you choose super saver or have Prime for two-day). Unless you commonly press 3-4 non-modifier keys simultaneously, this would be a perfect writing/coding keyboard of high quality. It's just a matter of waiting for Amazon to actually get this particular model in stock; it's not as "popular" as some of the others.
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline jinrawke

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 16:50:53 »
decisions... decision...

I've narrowed it down to these 2:

tenkeyless Filco

leopold

aaaaand looks like I'm going with the Leopold from the reports that they may be shipping out in the next few days.

Thanks for the help all!

now off to do research on keycaps and the groupbuys.  Anyone happen to know if there were any extras from the most recent groupbuys?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 March 2011, 16:58:24 by jinrawke »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 00:58:06 »
I develop on an old model M, and type at home on Blue cherries.

Fry's often stocks a Siig mechanical with White ALPS switches-- did you try it?  You can get a similar board under the name "DSI ASK-6600U" for about fifty dollars.  I like the switches, but loathe the layout.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.