Author Topic: Help, Das or XArmor, or what to choose?  (Read 20415 times)

Offline Zet

Help, Das or XArmor, or what to choose?
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 23:22:33 »
Greetings everyone,

I usually read this forums but I never had the chance to make myself an account and post regularly on it. I've spended tons of hours reading guides here and reviews about keyboards and such.

After saving enouth cash and having the chance of knowing someone that is going to the USA and is able to bring me a mechanical keyboard, my time is up to get my very first and probably only mechanical keyboard I'll ever have. I live in south america, so having a warranty from the keyboard brand does not mean anything for me, since I'll not be able to ship the keyboard all the way to USA to have it check-fix/exchanged, so I must make a really good selection.

My native language is Spanish, and I like writing without any mistakes so I do use the ´ key that allows me to make áéíóú, and ¿? and ¡!, so I did a massive research on keyboards at sale with the 105 key layout, and I found none.

So the main problem about switching to the 104 key layout is that the missing key is one between the left shift and the 'z' key, that allows me to do: '<' and '>' that for me is very important since I program a lot. So I did some research and I wanted to know your thoughts on remapping '<' and '>' to the right control key and the menu key on its left; is this possible?

Going to the main point now (sorry this is getting long):
I have decided that the most suitable switch for me is the brown, since I do a lot of gaming, and I do lots and lots of tapping, so I'm afraid of the blue switches won't make it, and also cause my coworkers and family will complain if I get a blue one, due the noise.

My budget is 150$ for it (including shipment), and only if its worth it up to 200$.

I see a lot of people talking so much and making so many comparisons to the FILCOs that it seems like it's the best brand of keyboards(although they are a bit overpriced), and I wish there was a way to get a brown switches one with the full layout, but since the tenkeyless are the only ones at sale now, I won't be getting a FILCO.

My initials thoughts were going for a DAS Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent 135$, since having blank keys would look better than having the wrong layout on the keyprints, and cause I read its a good keyboard brand. The cons on it are that the shinny material of it. I'm not scared about having a lot of fingerprints on it, or the dust that it might attract but if its easy or not to get scratched. Since you can always clean the keyboard when you want it.

Also, I was having on consideration the XArmor with brown switches, and I found like 3 different versions of it at sale right now:
The U9 at 64$
The U9W at 80$
and The U9BL-S at 108$

They all are cheaper and if both were to be the quality build and such, I would go for a XArmor, but if the Das is way better in this, I would not have a problem on paying that extra for it.

I like the backlight on the XArmor, although it's not a must, also that it has 2 usb ports and jacks for the headset I can make use of them. What really makes me think not to pick them, is that it seems like this got renamed a lot and sold by different brands, on different places, some people reported problems on previous models and that does not provide me any confidence on the durability on those. Also, the con on the keyprints is that I don't like how they moved all the signs up for better lighting, good for the lighting but looks awkward.

So please guys, I want your personal advices on this, which one should I go for, the Das, the XArmor or which one else? I would love to know if you have one or both of them, which one you like better?

I will really really appreciate all the feedback and advices I get on this!

Kind regards, from all the way down to Bolivia,

Esteban / Steve

PS: PS:also posted this on OCN to get as much advices/feedback as possible, I read both forums! >_<
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 23:25:10 by Zet »

Offline turtleslikejohn

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 23:27:21 »
I personally think the Das is of greater quality, but don't quote me on that. I'd prefer the Das in this situation, just be wary of the gloss :)
But then again, Xarmor has additional features you mentioned, so I guess it's also a good choice.

Offline Tallon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 01:42:14 »
If you are a student (or know a student...) you should be able to get the student discount on the Das keyboard (and it always has free shipping if you purchase directly from Das!). They told me the student discount was 20%. Either way, I got my Das silent for a little over $100. I don't have the xArmor - but I don't have much faith in them or their keyboard because of their website. Hard for me to trust a company who's website is just the customer support number. Granted, I've only had my Das keyboard for about 2 weeks now, but I absolutely love it and have no problems with it.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 07:54:40 »
Das and Xarmor are the Yin and the Yang.

They fits two opposite needs, so its really matter of preference.

On the bangs for the bucks side Xarmor is obviously a way better choice.

Assuming the same price (in the last days is not the case anymore) for an Xarmor you will pay 80$ for the plain keyboard and 50$ for the backlight, on the DAS you will pay 80$ for the keyboard and 50$ for the "geekiness"
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2011, 07:59:50 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 08:07:03 »
I can't comment on the other keyboards, but I have the Das with the Cherry Blue Switches and have loved it. Although I am getting rid of it cause the clickiness is starting to annoy me.

I vote for the Das - quality and customer service appear to be topnotch.

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 08:53:14 »
Quote from: ripster;336098
charge you $25 as a thank you.

That's so nice of them :)

Offline Zet

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 10:47:31 »
Thanks for all of you guys replies here.
The XArmor has many things as a plus, backlight, headset jacks, not glossy but matte which I like better, but the fact that this keyboard is sold by different company/brand and that the US one doesn't even have a site it's making me feel something cheesy is going on in there...
I've gave a look to the Deck Legend keyboards and I think I would spend a little more than 150 which is the price I wish I would spend max on this, but sadly I found nowhere to find them at sale(with MX Clear switches), also, I'm thinking on the pro's/con's on going with a FILCO Tenkeyless Brown switches... if the quality on the Das is pretty much similar to the one on the FILCO I rather get the USB hub, and the num pad...

Hey by the way, any one successfully re mapped the '<' and '>' to control/menu keys? whit which program?

Offline dusii

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 11:35:21 »
You can get Decks directly from deck, or through performance-pcs.com.

As for remapping '<>', AutoHotkey should work fine. LWin::send {>} or some such script.

Offline Zet

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 20:56:10 »
The tactile models, with Cherry Clears are sold out on performance-pcs.com... I have no idea where to find them at sale now :(
any ideas?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 22:24:07 »
Mouser, digikey, or onlinecomponents.

A brand new cherry clear is still the cheapest option, at least for the european users.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Zet

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 22:57:52 »
I had no luck on Mouser, digikey or onlinecomponents, although I found some Cherry corp keyboards, It makes me laugh a lot that cherry sells some rubber dome keyboards also :P

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 23:39:16 »
Quote from: Zet;336164
The XArmor has many things as a plus, backlight, headset jacks, not glossy but matte which I like better, but the fact that this keyboard is sold by different company/brand and that the US one doesn't even have a site it's making me feel something cheesy is going on in there...

I bought a XArmor U9BL-S from ErgoGeek - XArmor U9BL-S and had no issue at all. Currently at $108 it is a very good deal for a backlit keyboard.

Apparently they have 6 left... I suspect they will be no more after that :-)

You can see this as buying the end of the line.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Zet

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 23:58:25 »
I found a way to get a Filco with 105 key layout, not spanish but another language, the key positions are still the same, with mx brown switches, a bit pricey: 185 usd, including shipping but I think its ok, Filco is a Japanese company so top notch technology, quality, I think its worth it :)
Considering they will be shipping it to South america, Bolivia, its a nice deal I think... I perhaps will be getting some new blank keycaps for it so it looks better, since there is no spanish layout keycaps at sale :P (as far as I know...)

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 00:06:02 »
Quote from: Zet;335947
So the main problem about switching to the 104 key layout is that the missing key is one between the left shift and the 'z' key, that allows me to do: '<' and '>' that for me is very important since I program a lot.

By the way, I see this key on IBM terminal boards and the like. I found it odd because you already have < and > as shift keys on the , and . key, so I moved mine elsewhere and used it for a tilde/backtick.

What's wrong with using Shift-, and Shift-. as < and >? Is it the extra shift needed to get that often, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Zet

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:06:12 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;336423
By the way, I see this key on IBM terminal boards and the like. I found it odd because you already have < and > as shift keys on the , and . key, so I moved mine elsewhere and used it for a tilde/backtick.

What's wrong with using Shift-, and Shift-. as < and >? Is it the extra shift needed to get that often, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Check the diference between the USA 104key layout and the SPANISH traditional layout (105) you will see what I mean :)
I'm a project manager on a company that does web sites, so I use it a lot <(O_O)> heh

Spanish traditional sort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Spanish_.28Spain.29.2C_aka_Spanish_.28International_sort.29

USA layout:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_States
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:08:14 by Zet »

Offline n12

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:28:37 »
Quote from: Zet;336419
I found a way to get a Filco with 105 key layout, not spanish but another language, the key positions are still the same, with mx brown switches, a bit pricey: 185 usd, including shipping but I think its ok, Filco is a Japanese company so top notch technology, quality, I think its worth it :)
Considering they will be shipping it to South america, Bolivia, its a nice deal I think... I perhaps will be getting some new blank keycaps for it so it looks better, since there is no spanish layout keycaps at sale :P (as far as I know...)

What layout are you looking for? You can get a Filco from PCHome right now for much cheaper than that... http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?12854-PChome-%28Taiwan%29-20-Worldwide-Shipping-Promo
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:31:23 by n12 »

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:50:36 »
Quote from: Zet;336440
Check the diference between the USA 104key layout and the SPANISH traditional layout (105) you will see what I mean :)
I'm a project manager on a company that does web sites, so I use it a lot <(O_O)> heh

Spanish traditional sort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Spanish_.28Spain.29.2C_aka_Spanish_.28International_sort.29

USA layout:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#United_States

Aha. See your point. Of course, that doesn't prevent you from switching to a US International layout -- everything will still be available, you just have to use Alt-Gr.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 01:59:14 »
Xarmor customer service is not so hot.  Hope you don't get chattering switches because they won't replace it and then charge you $25 as a thank you.

Gulp, how does one test for chattering?

Offline Zet

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 09:25:59 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;336447
Aha. See your point. Of course, that doesn't prevent you from switching to a US International layout -- everything will still be available, you just have to use Alt-Gr.

Can you please provide me with some explanation on which program to do that and how to set it? this would save me like 60+ usd if I pick the US layout, and I would really appreciate it!

Offline Zet

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 09:29:24 »
Quote from: n12;336445
What layout are you looking for? You can get a Filco from PCHome right now for much cheaper than that... http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?12854-PChome-%28Taiwan%29-20-Worldwide-Shipping-Promo

I'm looking for a full or tenkeyless with the layout of: UK/Germany/Spain 105 keys. Like the one I posted on the post above, the diference is the enter key is like an L upside down and theres an extra key between the 'z' and the left shift.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 09:51:22 »
Quote from: Zet;336524
Can you please provide me with some explanation on which program to do that and how to set it? this would save me like 60+ usd if I pick the US layout, and I would really appreciate it!

Well, I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key#US_international

By using the AltGr key it would seem you'd get all of the characters you mentioned in your first post.

As for enabling the use of AltGr (replacing right-Alt), you can just choose US International as your keyboard layout in Linux or Windows or Mac OS X or whatever you use.

Personally, instead of US International with AltGr, I use the old-fashioned UNIX way of doing things, which is the Compose key. I use xmodmap to map my right-Ctrl to Compose (Multi_Key), then to get, say, á, I type (in sequence) RCtrl -> ' -> a. You get all kinds of other fancy characters this way too. But better, I think, for the occasional `special character' entry, rather than everyday Spanish or what have you.

Offline Zet

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 10:05:35 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;336548
Well, I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key#US_international

By using the AltGr key it would seem you'd get all of the characters you mentioned in your first post.

As for enabling the use of AltGr (replacing right-Alt), you can just choose US International as your keyboard layout in Linux or Windows or Mac OS X or whatever you use.

Personally, instead of US International with AltGr, I use the old-fashioned UNIX way of doing things, which is the Compose key. I use xmodmap to map my right-Ctrl to Compose (Multi_Key), then to get, say, á, I type (in sequence) RCtrl -> ' -> a. You get all kinds of other fancy characters this way too. But better, I think, for the occasional `special character' entry, rather than everyday Spanish or what have you.

xwhatsit, you have opened my eyes, thank you very much, I think it's better to remap the keyboard(US layout) and have '<' and '>' as alt gr+',' and alt gr+'.' than spending 50+US$ to get a 105 key layout.

Also, I was looking at pchome. And I liked this keyboard really much: http://global.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A50461464&c=A10&tm=u# but I think it is out of stock right now, right? I can't get to click somewhere to order it...

Offline Corland

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 11:37:13 »
(you can catch it later in the thread if you want to, but I have nothing to add on this topic anymore)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2011, 14:54:32 by Corland »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 12:01:21 »
Quote from: Corland;336580
The keys are NOT sturdy, and the stems are very easily damaged by simply using the included keypuller to swap out the WASD keys the W key snapped on me. It's in for repair, and since they are saying it's user damage, they want to charge me 30$. They have also had the board for 2 weeks now. (...) If you don't ever pull the keycaps, you may not have any issues with the XArmor.

Waow, thanks for sharing. That's good to know.
I've been warned.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 12:03:21 »
I pull caps on my XArmor all the time and haven't had any problems. I'm always swapping Deck special symbol keys in.

YMMV
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 12:47:19 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 12:03:26 »
Quote from: ripster;336583
Xarmor is touted heavily at OCN.  This is why I never recommend it.

Can you list a few known issues off your memory with the current U9BL (line on the spacebar, not dot)?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 15:03:16 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;336595
Can you list a few known issues off your memory with the current U9BL (line on the spacebar, not dot)?

There are no known issues, other than the backlit level not retained on reboot which is more a lack of a feature than an issue.

The Ripster's messages about Xarmor are just matter of personal hate.

Offline Huntor0

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 15:45:54 »
I use a Xarmor U9BL-S as a daily driver and have no issues. I keep my office pretty dim and the backlit keys are a huge plus for me. I usually need to fire up the desk lamp when I want to use the Filco or my IBM's.
Majestouch-2  Linear R MX-Red / Topre Realforce 103U-UW / XArmor U9BL-S MX-Brown / Deck Fire 82 MX- Black / TG3 BLT82 (Blood guard removed) MX- Black / Model M 42h1292 19JAN96 / Model M 1391401 23MAR93

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 15:48:44 »
Quote from: The Solutor;336642
The Ripster's messages about Xarmor are just matter of personal hate.

LoL B!tching about XArmor may increase his chances to see one of the Zibal 60 chick naked.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline slueth

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 16:22:43 »
Can't the OP just get a full sized brown Filco at pchome?
http://global.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A50475193&SR_NO=DCAH23&ROWNO=3&tm=u#
Problem solved under 150 shipped.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 16:26:38 by slueth »

Offline slueth

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 16:28:34 »
Quote from: n12;336445

Can't the OP just get a full sized brown Filco with NKRO at pchome?
    http://global.pchome.com.tw/?mod=ite...&ROWNO=3&tm=u#
    Problem solved under 150 shipped. About $137 actually.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 16:51:01 »
Quote from: ripster;336651
Hahaha - I've SEEN plenty of Xarmor horror stories at OCN.

Why not just buy one of them and judge yourself, instead of repeating second hand informations ?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 16:52:10 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;336650
LoL B!tching about XArmor may increase his chances to see one of the Zibal 60 chick naked.

:happy:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 17:46:09 »
Ripster doesn't hate XArmor. He has backlight envy, so he claims anything with a backlight is radioactive or otherwise inferior. He doesn't even care if they have Cherry blues, his fav switch. Backlight gets the Ripster thumbs down.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 17:48:57 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline XArmor

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 18:34:23 »
First of all, hello everyone.

I would stay the F away from X-Armor, and get a real keyboard (I have a UBL9-s). The keys are NOT sturdy, and the stems are very easily damaged by simply using the included keypuller to swap out the WASD keys the W key snapped on me. It's in for repair, and since they are saying it's user damage, they want to charge me 30$. They have also had the board for 2 weeks now.

Needless to say, I will be sticking with reputable companies in the future, not these XArmor jokers. The leo tenkeyless brown I am using now is FAR BETTER  (more solid, better stabilizers) to type on than the XArmor was. If you don't ever pull the keycaps, you may not have any issues with the XArmor.

- 1) you broke the spacebar (you have no knowledge on removing the spacebar and you blame us for poor quality)
- 2) you broke the shifts key with stabilizer bar, again you don't remove these keys unless you know what you are doing
- 3) you use excessive force to remove all the keycaps ( almost all the keycaps) on the keyboard and you damage all the stem.
- 4) we only have your board for 1 week you claimed 2 weeks.
- 5) We can post images on your board and let the forum user see what you did to the board.

here you are claiming you ONLY swap out the WASD key and we charge you $30 to fix one key?
i think you are the joker here...

Thank you

Offline Zet

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 20:30:00 »
where can I check the price of the Mionix btw?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 20:31:08 »

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 20:52:08 »
Quote from: ripster;336651
Hahaha - I've SEEN plenty of Xarmor horror stories at OCN.

Would an xarmor9 plus for 80 bucks be worth a buy rip?

Offline Tallon

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 21:06:32 »
Quote from: XArmor;336699
First of all, hello everyone.

- 1) you broke the spacebar (you have no knowledge on removing the spacebar and you blame us for poor quality)
- 2) you broke the shifts key with stabilizer bar, again you don't remove these keys unless you know what you are doing
- 3) you use excessive force to remove all the keycaps ( almost all the keycaps) on the keyboard and you damage all the stem.
- 4) we only have your board for 1 week you claimed 2 weeks.
- 5) We can post images on your board and let the forum user see what you did to the board.

here you are claiming you ONLY swap out the WASD key and we charge you $30 to fix one key?
i think you are the joker here...

Thank you

Interesting reply - It's good that you defend your company, but how you say things truly matters. Being respectful and nice goes a long way in keeping customers happy (including potential customers). Respectful but still defending your company can be done! I truly want to like xArmor; I think the keyboards look awesome and I almost bought one instead of the Das. However, it's hard for me to trust a company who shut down their website with nothing but a warranty page with a page title of "store closed". Even if you don't want to sell keyboards through your website, having one with information about your keyboards would go a long way to sooth concerns of potential customers. Just sayin'...

*edit - Perception is everything :) *

-Tallon

Offline Zet

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 21:41:49 »
Quote from: Tallon;336747
Interesting reply - It's good that you defend your company, but how you say things truly matters. Being respectful and nice goes a long way in keeping customers happy (including potential customers). Respectful but still defending your company can be done! I truly want to like xArmor; I think the keyboards look awesome and I almost bought one instead of the Das. However, it's hard for me to trust a company who shut down their website with nothing but a warranty page with a page title of "store closed". Even if you don't want to sell keyboards through your website, having one with information about your keyboards would go a long way to sooth concerns of potential customers. Just sayin'...

*edit - Perception is everything :) *

-Tallon

100% agree, its that fact, and that I saw many have problems/complains with the XArmor that got me in the doubt of getting it or not; but what I must admit its the looks of it are great, really appealing keyboard :) I like the matte/rubber coat more than the glossy of the DAS, but as long as it doesn't wear off easily... cause a dirty glossy keyboard can easily be cleaned to get the looks back, but a worn matte that now looks shiny and oily can't look like new again...

Offline XArmor

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 21:54:29 »
Xarmor customer service is not so hot.  Hope you don't get chattering switches because they won't replace it and then charge you $25 as a thank you.

We would have replaced his board if we found out about the issue that he was having. We cannot replace it when we're unable to verify the issue.

In his first email. he stated he was upset about his U9BL purchase from last year, because what he really wanted was the cherry mx brown switches. And now seeing we've come out with different models and he was hoping that we could let him trade in his U9BL for the new U9BL-S. We told him it is not possible since we can only provide support and warranty related issue to end consumer.

fyi, We did not charge him anything. We would like him to understand that if he continues to send in unjustified return,  a service fee will be charged.

Offline Corland

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 21:59:19 »
WOW. Nice to see they are reading this thread.

I am not really used to being publicly attacked by a vendor in public.

They got a few facts wrong in their reply though.

1. I did break the spacebar the first day I owned the board. It was squeaking, and I used the keypuller to pull the spacebar, unaware that cherry boards have the metal bar you have to move to the side for the stabilizers. One of the stabilizers broke (the stabilizers are molded into the stabilized keys rather than being removable, so they are way more fragile). I asked the next day for a replacement spacebar from XArmor, and offered to pay for it, and they said they would do something about it, and since the begging of March (their email arrived on 2/28), they NEVER DID.

2-3. As far as the damage on the board, I was not really using what I felt to be excessive force to remove the keycaps , but the translucent caps (so the backlighting works) seem to have far weaker stems than what I was used to in my other boards (I had pulled keycaps on several of my rubber dome boards, and my White alps focus FK 2001). I really don't fault XArmor for that part, I was just disappointed in the build quality of the keycaps, but I realize it's part of the tradeoff. Once I sent the board in, I was not thrilled they wanted to not fix the issue, and I was willing to pay them to fix it. I was actually pleasantly surprised when they offered to repair it for 30 rather than the initial 50 they quoted me.

4. USPS confirmed delivery of the board on 4/11- it's 4/24- that's 13 days, so I guess 2 weeks not correct, but it is closer than one.

It's nice of them to threaten me with "exposure" of something here though- I just want them to fix my damn board and get it back to me- I even offered to pay for the repair up front...

I guess I really am the "joker" here.

Offline Corland

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 22:32:31 »
And one last thing here- I was actually trying to be a bit positive about the board- if you are not going to remove the keycaps (and I removed more than the w key, and they are not charging me 30 bucks to fix one key- I was not trying to give that impression, and for that I apologize to the company) I do think it's a fine board. Mine has been off for repair from me mailing it out more than 2 weeks (because I did not send it overnight) and I want it back in working order, and I am very willing to pay for them to fix it. They still have not given me a time-frame, and their curt and frankly rude tone in their messages to me and here in public would make me weary of this company.

Offline XArmor

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 22:58:51 »
I would stay the F away from X-Armor, and get a real keyboard (I have a UBL9-s). The keys are NOT sturdy, and the stems are very easily damaged by simply using the included keypuller to swap out the WASD keys the W key snapped on me. It's in for repair, and since they are saying it's user damage, they want to charge me 30$. They have also had the board for 2 weeks now.

Needless to say, I will be sticking with reputable companies in the future, not these XArmor jokers. The leo tenkeyless brown I am using now is FAR BETTER  (more solid, better stabilizers) to type on than the XArmor was. If you don't ever pull the keycaps, you may not have any issues with the XArmor.

Treat other people the way you want to be treated. Don't blame others for your own mistake.

Offline Corland

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 23:48:32 »
Don't blame folks for not wanting to support a company who treats paying customers this way.

Offline RebelExtrm02

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 08:25:54 »
Quote from: Corland;336798
Don't blame folks for not wanting to support a company who treats paying customers this way.

You were the one withholding information on the situation to make libelous claims about the company. Don't try and turn this around. You can back pedal all you want, as you have been, but it won't change that fact. You're no winner here. I can't blame this employee for wanting to come here and correct misinformation. I don't agree with how they came across and handled the situation, but I won't hold the actions of one person to the credibility of a whole company.

I myself have had no problems with my board. I've pulled literally every key off of it to clean it and swapped the wasd cluster several times without a clue as to what I was doing and didn't damage anything.

Offline Xibal

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 09:18:11 »
This situation isn't really helping the mechanical keyboard scene, the Xarmor representative here is making me doubt my choice in their boards, although mine is working fine and I've pulled key caps periodically, but just the tone of the representative and how the customer is responding, it just feels unwarranted. They should of done this privately. Xarmor already has a damaged reputation from their first generation boards, and this is just adding fuel to the fire.

Offline Corland

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 10:39:07 »
Quote from: RebelExtrm02;336887
You were the one withholding information on the situation to make libelous claims about the company. Don't try and turn this around. You can back pedal all you want, as you have been, but it won't change that fact. You're no winner here. I can't blame this employee for wanting to come here and correct misinformation. I don't agree with how they came across and handled the situation, but I won't hold the actions of one person to the credibility of a whole company.

I was trying to simplify the situation, not throw up some drama about my hand tremors and how they broke some of the stabilizers (which I do think are super fragile on this board in comparison to others) as I was reassembling the board after cleaning. I hardly think that amounts to Libel, but I guess you can call it that.

The snapping of the W key was what shocked me- that was the reason I sent it back for RMA, which is what started this whole mess for me.

I am glad for you you have had no issues with the board- I would not expect stellar support from this company if you do though.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 10:47:45 »
I bought a Das before, and now I am using Filco Tenkeyless Majestouch Blue. I am loving it so far. Das is a great keyboard, but as I stated on my other thread, it has some cosmetic problems. Personally, I want my expensive keyboard to be good looking as always, showing great build quality. Das... didn't fulfill me in that way so much :( It's actually not that of a big problem, if you don't mind too much, but it really does get lots of minor scratches, stains, white filming, and the build quality of the side of the keyboard does lack compare to Filco. BUT in the keystroke wise, I prefer Das more than Filco. It's just the depth of the keyboard design. You won't hit the bottom more when typing with Das, therefore your hand will feel more comfortable, able to type more preventing fatigue.
If I were you, Filco is a little expensive compare to Das. About 30~50 more. Filco is worth that price in my opinion than Das. Das just lacks in build quality, and it was my first mechanical keyboard. And in the brand name wise too, Filco wins. But you won't go wrong with Das either. If you can find the model you want for Filco, and able to pay little more, go with Filco.

Offline Zet

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 11:22:06 »
Quote from: brkim1324;336949
I bought a Das before, and now I am using Filco Tenkeyless Majestouch Blue. I am loving it so far. Das is a great keyboard, but as I stated on my other thread, it has some cosmetic problems. Personally, I want my expensive keyboard to be good looking as always, showing great build quality. Das... didn't fulfill me in that way so much :( It's actually not that of a big problem, if you don't mind too much, but it really does get lots of minor scratches, stains, white filming, and the build quality of the side of the keyboard does lack compare to Filco. BUT in the keystroke wise, I prefer Das more than Filco. It's just the depth of the keyboard design. You won't hit the bottom more when typing with Das, therefore your hand will feel more comfortable, able to type more preventing fatigue.
If I were you, Filco is a little expensive compare to Das. About 30~50 more. Filco is worth that price in my opinion than Das. Das just lacks in build quality, and it was my first mechanical keyboard. And in the brand name wise too, Filco wins. But you won't go wrong with Das either. If you can find the model you want for Filco, and able to pay little more, go with Filco.

Dear brkim, thanks a lot for your input on this matter, (in the middle of this customer support battle with xarmor and people in the forums, btw I find Razer very professional on this kind of matters).

I wanted to get some feedback on the build quality of the das, I personally like it, and so does the Filco, but I wanted to know if the Das glossy cover its easy or not to scratch, I know it can get dirty easily, but if you are able to clean it and get it 100% back to new, then its no problem, as for the Filco, I think its good also, but the keycaps get shinny fast I heard, in the end, all keycaps get shinny with time, I doubt theres someone around that uses gloves to get on their computer, or such, and with use is normal.

The main thing I'm thinking now... is:

Das (104 layout) with blank keys: 135$ w/o student discount; around 108$ w/ discount (with usb hub)
Filco (104 layout): 135$ or similar from pc home(with red esc key, wasd keys to change and keycap puller)
Filco (105 layout): 185$ or similar from the keyboard company (no extras)

What I'm after, is a 105 layout, not the 104, but is really hard and overpriced to get a 105 layout... I wonder if it's really worth it to pay 50$ to get the correct layout, or test and try out and option to remap a couple of keys and time to get used to a mod 104 layout to work as my 105...

I'm still giving a lot of thinking on this, I really don't know what to do. I mean, 50$ is 50$ I could get a new mouse, a nice razer mousepad, or just save it for a new monitor... on the other hand, this probably will be the one and last keyboard I'll use forever, and it's better it makes me happy forever xD