Author Topic: My Kinesis Keyboard mod  (Read 19385 times)

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 20:27:36 »
I've been in the process of adding a trackball mouse to my Kinesis Keyboard. I'm still trying to figure out the mouse buttons. Currently I am just mapping the buttons top right windows and ctrl key as my left and right mouse buttons. It's less than ideal but what I've been able to get by with until I come up with a button / switch I like to install just to the upper left of the track ball.

I've thought of Index control track ball with Left click thumb and right click middle finger

or Thumb control track ball with Index left client and middle finger right click.

Or heck put in three buttons at just the right placement and make it changeable.

The idea is to put the buttons in such an orientation that it's natural for my right hand to come down just a little bit keeping my wrist strait to access the mouse.

Offline Jim66

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 20:36:54 »
Niicccee!! Any internal shots of how you have mounted this in the case?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 23:17:54 »
WOW! Very, very cool!

Very nice. Please show the internals, and what particular hardware you used? I think a trackball may work better than all the touchpads most of us use with the Kinesis Contoured. Any spec info would be highly appreciated.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 09:47:40 »
I'll get them posted in a couple days. It's a Logitech Trackman trackball mouse.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/4680

I have it mounted in backwards which fit perfectly between the screw posts. I hotglued it down to make sure the base doesn't slide or pop out for any reason. It was as easy as pulling it out of the Logitec casing and putting it into the Kinesis plastics. Of course I called Kinesis first before drilling a beautiful hole in my wonderful $300 a pop keyboard. They said they could replace the top for me for $50 +shipping. So I took the plunge.

Offline sndstrm

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 09:51:15 »
Incredibly clean where you installed the trackball.  very nice mod.  I would definitely like the see the internals.
rm -Rf /*

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 09:51:42 »
OOOh! Price went up from $40 plus shipping last year! lol!

Maybe I can use one or two of your pics in my mod post (see my sig) to show another option of what can be done?

Do you have another power cord coming out of the board, or are you using a hub internally/one of the 2 usb ports?

I'm in the process of adding a thumb trackball above the right thumbcluster on my split Kinesis Contoured.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2011, 09:53:45 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline sndstrm

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 09:59:54 »
An old Kensington Expert Mouse Pro seems like it would be easy to work into a mod.  It still had the steel bearings with an open socket.
rm -Rf /*

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:05:29 »
Quote from: sndstrm;337481
An old Kensington Expert Mouse Pro seems like it would be easy to work into a mod.  It still had the steel bearings with an open socket.

I use one of those, I was thinking the same thing. Here's something similar:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17665[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17666[/ATTACH]

Offline sndstrm

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:25:34 »
Quote from: input nirvana;337484
I use one of those, I was thinking the same thing. Here's something similar:

Thats epic.  I was looking to get another Expert Mouse Pro but the prices are getting pretty insane on Ebay.  Ripster's review of the CST LaserTRAC here http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:10242

It looks like it would be awesome to mod with and have a much better DPI.  I want one of these very badly.
rm -Rf /*

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:34:45 »
The 64240 is a wireless model, verses the 64213, and, that ebay seller always has that "family" of Kensington trackballs at the same crazy high prices for at least a year or two that I've noticed them. I see the 64213 from $75-$120 used typically.

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:42:14 »
I love the Kensington trackball with all the presets, buttons, and Kensington Mouseworks, I thought it would make an excellent combination with the Kinesis.

Trackball option + touchpad option + rollermouse option
Kensington Expert Mouse Pro + Apple Magic Trackpad + Contour Designs Rollermouse

BetterTouchTool 3rd party software for additional configurability if wanted.

Offline sndstrm

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:42:31 »
Quote from: input nirvana;337495
The 64240 is a wireless model, verses the 64213, and, that ebay seller always has that "family" of Kensington trackballs at the same crazy high prices for at least a year or two that I've noticed them. I see the 64213 from $75-$120 used typically.

Yeah, that seller always has a lot of them.  Whats funny is at the end of the details for some of them he would put "original box and instructions available upon request".
rm -Rf /*

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 10:59:59 »
About 1.3-1.4 rotations, 1920 x 1200, OSX    Is that what you need?

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 11:26:27 »
Here are the guts for you.

Any ideas on ideas for mouse buttons would be appreciated. The arcade buttons are just going to be to big. There is no way I have 1 1/8" of clearance to make them work.

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 11:36:52 »
Quote from: input nirvana;337475
Maybe I can use one or two of your pics in my mod post (see my sig) to show another option of what can be done?

Absolutely. I'm not done yet. This site has given me so many ideas on things I can do to this thing. I have a feeling I'll be buying a couple more of these keyboards.

Quote from: input nirvana;337475
Do you have another power cord coming out of the board, or are you using a hub internally/one of the 2 usb ports?

I'm using the internal hub. I've been thinking of putting an additional USB hub and adding a few more things to the keyboard. Headphone/Mic output/input? Docking station for my cell phone? My co-workers think I'm crazy

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 14:17:38 »
Quote from: whatchamccallum;337539
Absolutely. I'm not done yet. This site has given me so many ideas on things I can do to this thing. I have a feeling I'll be buying a couple more of these keyboards.

I'm using the internal hub. I've been thinking of putting an additional USB hub and adding a few more things to the keyboard. Headphone/Mic output/input? Docking station for my cell phone? My co-workers think I'm crazy

-I have several too many because I thought I would need them all for the various mods, turns out I can do almost everything on 2 not 8.

-I've added an additional hub on the split unit. I like the headphone output idea. I'm a step away from a dock for an iphone.

-You probably are crazy. Welcome to the club. :)

Offline grncdr

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 00:59:48 »
very cool, I've been telling myself I have to use mine for at least a few days after I get it before I start taking it apart...

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 01:03:55 »
Quote from: grncdr;337880
very cool, I've been telling myself I have to use mine for at least a few days after I get it before I start taking it apart...

Yes, definitely....although the Kinesis Contour is very mod-able, you should use it and get a feel for it before you get jiggy with it. More than one Geekhacker has a sad story to tell....

Offline whatchamccallum

Added the mouse buttons
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 01:15:52 »
Added in the mouse buttons. Had to modify the PCB a little bit. Going to add some sort of small switch so I can take advantage of all 4 buttons from the mouse. Thinking about hijacking another mouse to see if I can manage to add a scroll wheel.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17945[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17946[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17947[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 17948[/ATTACH]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 01:52:01 »
Those trackball button switches are eye candy. Can you give us a source?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 01:54:38 »
SCROLL WHEEL! Check out the Logitech Hyperscroll, it can either spin with clicks or spin freely. There are 2 ways of selecting the mode (depends on which model mouse you use). One, the scroll wheel is depressed to switch mode, the other has a button that makes the change.

Are you liking the keycap change? Do you find the keys as easily with fingers/thumbs? I notice I use the different heights of the thumb keycaps for positioning...

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 11:23:57 »
Quote from: ricercar;342390
Those trackball button switches are eye candy. Can you give us a source?

http://www.lizardlick.com/Seimitsu-PS-14-DNK-Screw-In-Buttons_c_241.html

Offline whatchamccallum

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 11:25:30 »
Quote from: input nirvana;342391
Are you liking the keycap change? Do you find the keys as easily with fingers/thumbs? I notice I use the different heights of the thumb keycaps for positioning...

still trying to decide if I like these new key caps or not.

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 13:15:38 »
Quote from: whatchamccallum;342537
still trying to decide if I like these new key caps or not.

I've noted the various angles and height differences with about 12 different keycaps on the Kinesis, the overall assumption is that it aids the keying in ergo process, or why bother to go to the effort and expense? Gimmick? Your evaluation will be noted...

Your ergo/integrated pointing device work is great!

My Kinesis split:
1-Trackpoint (already has this. It's ps/2, but will replace with usb)
2-thumb trackball (VERY similar to yours)
3-Apple Magic Touchpad (will be off to side like num pad)
4-Hyperscroll wheel (placement is an issue at this time)
5-attempting a Rollermouse mod

Integrated pointing device testbed. That's the answer for the inevitable question...

Offline bluecar5556

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 May 2011, 04:07:09 »
Very impressive 0_0, i'm curious what you used to cut the hole for TB?  Keep up the excellent work, the love you're putting into it really shines.

Offline sordna

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:05:09 »
I too would like to know what the best way is to cut clean and perfectly circular large holes like that. Step drill bits seem like a good solution for large-ish holes up to 1 3/8" / 35mm however with up to 57mm in diameter as show in the tables here and here a hole saw is probably needed, but I'm not sure how clean of a hole it will make in plastic, perhaps hand-carving it with a dremel will be better?
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:09:12 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Snarfangel

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 16:53:58 »
I just want to say how beautiful that mod is.

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 17:05:31 »
A hole saw with no teeth, just an abrasive (diamonds or?). I don't know if a place like Harbor Freight has super cheap versions. Cut/drill s-l-o-w-l-y.

Offline sordna

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 20:00:06 »
Hmm, hole saws without teeth exist, for glass, however I think they need a drill press because most don't have a drill in the middle for guidance. If you find any with a drill bit in the middle (so it can be used on a handheld drill//driver) let me know!

Anyway, my first attempts will involve opening holes 30mm or less, so I'll use a step drill bit for that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2012, 20:15:45 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 00:26:19 »
Yup, stepped drill bit sure makes nice holes fast, up to 1 3/8 (35mm) bit can be had for around $15 bucks. I got the one with the smallest (1/16") increments for fine tuning, and the 1 3/16 step proved perfect for these 30mm holes:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42940[/ATTACH]

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 12:14:44 »
Harbor Freight, for all their junk, have 2 stepped drill sets, a 3 piece and a huge 2 piece, for $8-$15 depending on the day. It shows them on their website, including sizes. They also have a smaller, non-stepped set.

Offline sordna

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 12:51:28 »
Stepless? That's the answer! 1" 5/8 cone drill:
http://www.wholesalepowertools.com/tru-cut-galaxy-1-1-5-8-cone-cut-drill-bits-cc1-625.html
It goes up to 41mm which is good for most trackballs out there! It's $40 though, let me know if you find any cheaper one around that size.

Offline sordna

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 13:06:39 »
I thought of it, but I doubt it will make clean holes on soft plastic (especially on a handheld drill/driver) like a step or cone drill. Have you tried a forstner on plastic, and without a drill press?

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 14:16:05 »
-The HF step drill bits work 99% as well as "name brand" and cost 1/4 the price. My employees actually prefer the HF ones, and I'm the one that pays for the bits.

-I wouldn't use Forstners without a guide. Although in plastic if you go slowly it could work. They are expensive.

-If you are making only 2 holes, make a hole as close as possible and then you can hand file to finish size. It goes rather quickly and is very easy.

Offline Input Nirvana

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 15:16:59 »
I used masonry bits to drill in the same type rock for my 300 gallon aquariums. Brutal.

Offline kps

My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 March 2012, 15:32:25 »
Quote from: ripster;538066
Otherwise it's Lee Valley Fortners for me all the way.

You buy from Canadians? Does your mother know about this?

I have a Lee Valley store 2.5 miles from home. Usually has a few nice in-store specials.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2012, 15:34:50 by kps »

Offline uberben

Re: My Kinesis Keyboard mod
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 16:01:30 »
Are the pics for this mod still floating around anywhere? I'm thinking of doing a trackball mod myself and remember these pics were excellent.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 20:15:35 »
You mean pics that were in the Split Kinesis article? Or were they only posted in this thread?

I have all the pics, some handy, some not, but I can probably help out with this.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 18:50:12 »
Do you have any photos? please. Sounds interesting.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others