Author Topic: First Mech (Razor BW)  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:51:27 »
Hi all,

Just got my first mechanical (after my logitech died).  I quite like the feel of these cherry blues, very different coming from a rubber dome.  I do have a question though, for other Razoe BW owners or anyone who's used one.  Does your backspace key feel vastly different to the others?  It registers fine, but it seems to take more force, and doesn't make a similar sound to the rest of the keys.  My left shift key feels similar.  I'd rather not deal with shipping it back if I can fix it easily.

Thanks,
~Rock

Offline False_Dmitry_II

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:55:21 »
The one I have access to isn't mine, but I didn't really notice anything like that. I did only use it for a few hours though...
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:20:22 »
those have the metal stabilizer wires in them i believe. probably just have a tight fit since its brand new, will loosen over time as you use it.

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:23:47 »
Quote from: lysol;345858
those have the metal stabilizer wires in them i believe. probably just have a tight fit since its brand new, will loosen over time as you use it.

Ya' think?  My space bar is nice and lose, as are a few other stabilized keys.  It almost sounds like something's lose when i press it really lightly.  You're probably right though.

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:28:58 »
Quote from: ripster;345861
Pop a key and take a pic.

Sometimes you'd be amazed what you find.

Steelseries is this.
Show Image

Ducky BigAss enter you actually get a SECOND switch.  But then, Ducky's Sucky.

Lol.  Popping a key technically voids the warranty on this, iirc.  I don't have either of those tools for taking keycaps off either...

EDIT: Here's a better description: There's little travel past the actuation point.  When it bottoms out, it's not hitting plastic, but something else?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:41:48 by Rockferd »

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 16:41:43 »
Hello.

I have that problem too on my right shift key. It doesn't bother me too much so I just leave it be for now and I'll take off the key if I get a keycap remover to see why it doesn't bottom out all the way. My first blackwidow (standard, I upgraded to an Ultimate) had a problem with the backspace key, where the switch inside seemed to be slightly broken. The clicking mechanism made this rattling noise instead of a crisp click. If you bought on amazon their return process is pretty painless so you should take advantages of return policies since you paid a lot of the keyboard and it should be perfect.

On another note I was putting my ear really close to my keyboard this past week and I realized that it makes a very very faint humming noise when the backlight is on any setting besides off or full brightness. I'm not sure what that means and my keyboard works fine, just wondering why it's doing it.

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 16:43:18 »
OH yeah that was my first post.

I've been viewing this forum since I got interested in keyboards beginning of this year. Hello!

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 16:45:51 »
Quote from: eyeshield21san;345894
Hello.

I have that problem too on my right shift key. It doesn't bother me too much so I just leave it be for now and I'll take off the key if I get a keycap remover to see why it doesn't bottom out all the way. My first blackwidow (standard, I upgraded to an Ultimate) had a problem with the backspace key, where the switch inside seemed to be slightly broken. The clicking mechanism made this rattling noise instead of a crisp click. If you bought on amazon their return process is pretty painless so you should take advantages of return policies since you paid a lot of the keyboard and it should be perfect.

On another note I was putting my ear really close to my keyboard this past week and I realized that it makes a very very faint humming noise when the backlight is on any setting besides off or full brightness. I'm not sure what that means and my keyboard works fine, just wondering why it's doing it.

I bet the hum is whatever electrical mechanism is regulating the brightness.  I did order through Amazon.  Have you done replacements through them before?

Offline dreamingftw

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 18:09:46 »
own a black widow ultimate and haven't had any kinds of problems with it... if you bought it from a B&M, I'd say just go exchange it.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 18:30:38 »
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 20:27:46 »
Quote from: Rockferd;345897
I bet the hum is whatever electrical mechanism is regulating the brightness.  I did order through Amazon.  Have you done replacements through them before?

This happen when you have to elevate the voltage with an oscillator and related circuitry, so is common on the EL backlit keyboards.

Is not our case.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:03:36 »
Quote from: Rockferd;345897

Yeah I returned my standard blackwidow. I just printed out a postage label they provided and then dropped it off at the nearest UPS store. Just look for returns in "Your Orders" section in your account menu.

Offline sinani206

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 10:00:21 »
I have the same right shift issue but I never use it, so I'm not gonna remove myself from the amazingness of the rest of the keyboard to get it fixed.

Offline HaveANiceDay

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 10:49:06 »
Removing the key does not void the warranty. Breaking something while doing it does.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline turtleslikejohn

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:54:17 »
Removing keys is part of the MX glory, why do you think people sign up for group buys for doubleshots here? Why do you think Filco sells additional keycaps as well a keycap remover? Razer is just..

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 12:01:03 »
I put in for my replacement today.  I had no idea they do A) Cross shipping and B) Free one-day shipping.  I'll have the new one Tuesday and get back to you all.  If it has the same issues, I might just return it and get a Das or something instead, now that I've tried these delicious blues in person...

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:28:36 »
Quote from: ripster;346150
Nobody is man enough to pull their enter key and take a pic?

You should pay more attention you do treadcrapping in the xarmor treads, all the keys are Costar style, like Xarmor and Filco
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:54:26 »
So why are they sticking?

My large keys on BW are just weak, wobbly.

I think the only reasonable explanation is the larger tolerance on the rectangular holes where the hinges are fitted (should be fitted).

The components are exactly the same of Xarmors and not too different than Filcos, but the key behavior is waaay different

Offline cromartie

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 16:58:55 »
i have this EXACT problem on my BW too. it feels as if there is friction or resistance when pressing down. It happens only on the left edge of the backspace key for some reason. It's fine when pressing the right edge of the key. Other large keys are fine for me. Would greasing up the "hinges" remedy the problem?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 17:46:25 »
i loved my bw, I have mentioned this many times.

stop hating on razer
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline cromartie

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 18:33:10 »
Just finish lubing up the contact points on the costar hinge things but it didn't really help much with the issue at hand. it did dampen the play/jiggle a little, but that was to be expected.

One thing I did notice was that the stabilizer tabs that insert into the keycap appears to be glued in. so if anybody was planning on taking keys off the BW, be careful not to break the inserts.

Other than the backspace key, i too, love my BW. =P

Offline brkim1324

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 18:38:46 »
If only Razer care more about the product quality more, it would be renowned for great price and build quality!
I didn't hate Razer at first, but after I tried several products, I was very dissatisfied with the build quality and design overall.
I just hope they fix it soon so that they get more lovers! XD

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 20:32:43 »
i never had problem with razer

good luck for me?

Or

bad luck for everyone else

muahahaha
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 20:39:07 »
Quote from: noodles256;346376
i never had problem with razer

I had just a Reclusa and was a good product, never had problems to admit it.

Btw the BW is not so good and the razer support is just crap, and I say it also.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:16:32 »
I never dealt with razer support because are the products are da bomb

Mainstream gogogogog
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:22:31 »
Quote from: noodles256;346389
I never dealt with razer support because are the products are da bomb

What a pity, my bomb was an exploded one.

Offline DeltaGunner

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 03:47:43 »
The BW Ultimate that i have has the same "problems" ie. wobly big keys and a bit of resistance on the space key.
I for one don't think thats an issue because the BW, or should i say the Cherry MX Blue's, is so nice to type on that i dont actually think those problems are significant.

Next board is gonna be a DAS Model S Ultimate Silent, so that i have 2 boards with Ultimate in the name.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 03:55:34 »
I own a Blackwidow Ultimate and the left shift key was a little stiff compared to the other keys when I got it. It loosened up over time but it was a little annoying. I wonder if whatever they did to the switch (e.g. the "hand selection" or something like that) is the cause of it or not.
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 22:35:12 »
Quote from: noodles256;345928
wlcm 2 gh

Thank you =)

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 22:36:56 »
Quote from: ripster;345920
My Logitech remotes hum when I put them against my ear.

What I do is that I don't put them against my ear.

My question wasn't about the hum, the sound is negligible.

I was just wondering if it meant anything, like if my keyboard was dying or something. hehe.

Offline se1zure31

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 23:23:18 »
I just ordered a BW Ultimate on Amazon a couple days ago. Don't have it yet but was reading reviews over there and people were saying the space key actually hits/rubs up against the left alt key. Some people just shave the keys a bit and it fixes their issue, others just send it in. If I have this issue might try the XArmor.

As for Razer products, I am kinda split. Their drivers/firmware are horrible, but when it works its great. I have been using my Razer Lachesis for a few years now (4k dpi model). I want a Mamba but I have heard that is hit/miss. I had a different Razer mouse before and it wasn't so good and I am just sick of Logitech products.

Offline Rockferd

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 18:19:43 »
So I got the replacement today, and it seems to have the same issues (Keys don't seem to have their full travel distance, esp big keys)  Should I try to get another or get something else instead?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 18:23:05 »
wow, bad luck eh? I never had a problem with any razer products.

nvm, all of mine just broke

jk
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Tassu

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 12:21:32 »
Just got a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate a few weeks back and been testing it out for a while now.

Regarding the humming sound, mine does that as well when LEDs are set on anything else than full brightness or off. Seems like a feature, really faint sound though.

Neither shift nor backspace feel any different, their clicking sound is a bit different though but is probably explained by their size. They're not stiff compared to other keys.

I did remove my Enter key while installing Elitekeyboard firm landing pads so here's a pic:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 18264[/ATTACH]

Oh and just used a small screwdriver and one hand to pop up the keys carefully, it wasn't all that hard without a proper tool either.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2011, 12:28:51 by Tassu »
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate & Razer Deathadder Left-Handed

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 12:35:27 »
wlcm 2 gh!

nice pic, ripster will be pleased
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 13:38:42 »
do you  think it would be the same for ansi? I thought i read somewhere that the ansi layout only had stabilizers for the spacebar
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Zet

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 14:10:28 »
Welcome to GeekHack Tassu,

Nice picture, it really shows the matte/rubber'ish material of the keys :)

Offline eyeshield21san

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 16:34:11 »
Quote from: Tassu;348022
Just got a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate a few weeks back and been testing it out for a while now.

Regarding the humming sound, mine does that as well when LEDs are set on anything else than full brightness or off. Seems like a feature, really faint sound though.

Neither shift nor backspace feel any different, their clicking sound is a bit different though but is probably explained by their size. They're not stiff compared to other keys.

I did remove my Enter key while installing Elitekeyboard firm landing pads so here's a pic:

(Attachment Link) 18264[/ATTACH]

Oh and just used a small screwdriver and one hand to pop up the keys carefully, it wasn't all that hard without a proper tool either.

Ah thank you =)

Offline Zet

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 21:53:43 »
Quote from: ripster;348054
Preliminary conclusion Filco>Razer/Blackwidow&Xarmor>Ducky&Leopold

woah, I really thought that you would say something more like Filco>Ducky>Leopold>Razer>XArmor lol

Offline Human

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 05:01:25 »
Quote from: Zet;349286
woah, I really thought that you would say something more like Filco>Ducky>Leopold>Razer>XArmor lol

He is an Official Ducky Hater. Despite countless issues/proofs i posted regarding the problems with my(and others) Razer BWU, he still deemed that Razer is gooding, Ducky is sucky.

But what more can I say? He is Ripster - The number one keyboard expect in he world, with over 34k of posts at GH. So what he say must be true.

P/S: I am a Razer Hater
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 May 2011, 05:04:49 by Human »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 12:10:03 »
Yeah, but the BW is a mainstream product. The one I've seen in person has no issues. I would think that quite a number of them also have no issues. There are just more of them out there, so that when bad things do happen, more people are likely to see them.

Ducky is more expensive, up towards filco, das, whatever prices. So if they have any problems at all I would think of those as much worse than something that can be bought for $60. Not that I know of anything specifically.

Ripster, besides the font where would you put decks in that list?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Zet

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 12:17:51 »
I really like Razer products, they do have problems, nothing is perfect but the support is great, you can get a new one if by some reason yours is failed from factory. For the price I think it is a nice keyboard really but I would like less glossy material. What I specially love from Razer, is their mices the top part has some rubber like coating I'm totally inlove (I have a razer naga)

About Duckys and Leopolds, both look really fine to me, I like their looks and such, but I have never tried any product from them.

About XArmor, I have nothing about it, but it doesn't inspire me confidence that the same keyboard was rebranded so many times under so many different names, to my eyes its like they want to 'run away' from being easily recognized, perhaps not even proud of themselves, If the same keyboards (I think from iOne) would all been under the same brand would inspired me more to lean and get one, but just didn't happened. I still would like to try one, I would like to test their keycaps, since they seem so nice with the rubber coating.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 12:23:56 »
what doesnt inspire me about xarmor is their website.

so much html
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Tassu

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 12:36:08 »
Thanks for the welcome etc. :yo:

Quote from: Zet;349473
What I specially love from Razer, is their mices the top part has some rubber like coating I'm totally inlove (I have a razer naga)

Same here. And having said that, you'd love BitFenix Colossus/Survivor as a case, they are completely covered with the same kind of material (SoftTouch) :madgrin:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate & Razer Deathadder Left-Handed

Offline The Solutor

First Mech (Razor BW)
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 13:25:54 »
Quote from: Zet;349473

About XArmor, I have nothing about it, but it doesn't inspire me confidence that the same keyboard was rebranded so many times under so many different names

You could always buy one of these :happy:

http://www.techfresh.net/owltech-japan-stellar-109-led-keyboard/