Author Topic: Tactility in your pocket: bringing audible feedback to usb  (Read 4072 times)

Offline hybridsoul5

Tactility in your pocket: bringing audible feedback to usb
« on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 06:17:59 »
I know this doesn't happen often but I'm sure we've all had those times where we were forced away from our beloved keyboards for an extended period of time. We think to ourselves, this feels like crap, or I really miss my cherry keys right now...

I was thinking about this problem and realized that while we can't really alter the feel of another keyboard to regain tactility, we can regain some amount of audible feedback.

Why not create a script that runs in the background and emits a click sound via the system's speakers every time a key is registered? I could imagine running it as plug-and-play on a usb stick. I could keep it on my keychain and plug it in whenever I'm using a foreign keyboard for an extended period of time.

Imagine being able to bestow upon your nephew's crappy rubber domes the same click your cherry blues have back home.

This software-based audible feedback may potentially be even more accurate than mechanical audio feedback since it registers only after the switch is activated every time. The one possible downside I see is that the sound may be affected by system performance and old or heavily taxed systems may lag, delaying the click sound. That said, I think the benefits outweigh the potential problems and it would be neat to try.

Thoughts?
Dell QuietKey
SIIG Minitouch
Leopold/Archiss tkl in MX blue (gone)
Realforce 86U
Choc Mini in MX red

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 06:30:14 »
Why not create a script that runs in the background and emits a click sound via the system's speakers every time a key is registered?

I've used such kind of programs since the stone age, keyboardsounder is the first I remember.

It comes even with simpled sounds from different typewriters, and I think it works w/o installing it, so just put the folder on a usbstick and you are ready for clicky keys in seconds.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline hybridsoul5

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 06:36:01 »
Sweet! I'll check it out right now.
Dell QuietKey
SIIG Minitouch
Leopold/Archiss tkl in MX blue (gone)
Realforce 86U
Choc Mini in MX red

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 06:56:59 »
That would be an interesting feature for a Teensy PS/2 to USB adapter. Then it could be used on public computers where no software installation is permitted.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 11:59:57 »
Quote from: eyesnine;373625
That would be an interesting feature for a Teensy PS/2 to USB adapter. Then it could be used on public computers where no software installation is permitted.

Yes, as a feature not only on that adapter, but on any adapter. I'm linking this thread to  THIS. Hopefully we can add this feature on a mobile USB adapter.

I currently use the audible on my Kinesis Advantage.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 12:32:16 »
Good idea. A USB dongle with a piezo speaker would be neat. Some folks have reported that the software programs that click are not responsive enough, the click may be delayed. Anyway, I can confirm that an audible click is very useful. It's a feature built-in the Kinesis contoured keyboards and I definitely bottom out more if I turn it off. Having the audible feedback really works!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 12:43:12 »
Likewise, I wish I could replace the default iPhone keyboard click with a cherry blue click.  Would be super cool.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 12:49:39 »
Quote from: aggiejy;373779
Likewise, I wish I could replace the default iPhone keyboard click with a cherry blue click.  Would be super cool.

Jailbreak.

Nice sig.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 12:50:02 »
Quote from: sordna;373774
Good idea. A USB dongle with a piezo speaker would be neat. Some folks have reported that the software programs that click are not responsive enough

When I used them, sometimes a lag was perceivable but was a 486.

Anyway, I can confirm that an audible click is very useful.

Again, like backlight an useful function, present in any cellphone since the very first models but  still missing in 99% of the PC keyboards.

Keyboard makers should start to innovate instead of recooking a 30 years old receipt, adding to it just pointless details do differentiate from competing products.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 13:10:40 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 13:39:18 »
Well, backlight is only really useful if you are a non-touch typist, working in the dark. All these Otaku and blank HHKB boards demonstrate that even key legends are not needed by many folks. There's probably more otaku boards than backlighted boards being used out there, so I think this demonstrates that backlighting isn't as needed on a computer keyboard as it is on a phone, although I can see it being a good feature for some people.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 13:59:17 »
Quote from: sordna;373806
There's probably more otaku boards than backlighted boards being used out there,...
I'd say that's waaay off. Look at all the gaming boards, plus Logitech Illuminated and whatnot.

Sure backlit 'boards are largely (not entirely, but for the most part) a solution looking for a problem, but that's another story.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 July 2011, 14:11:27 »
Well, backlight is only really useful if you are a non-touch typist, working in the dark.

Non touch typist are the vast majority of users, the ones used to use a PC ( at home) in the poorly lit environment are a good slice of the pie even if not the majority.

All these Otaku and blank HHKB boards demonstrate that even key legends are not needed by many folks.

Try to figure a percentage v.s. the wole market or even v.s. the whole mechanical market ?

The times when air conditioned or robotized gears on a Ferrari were considered insults, are gone years ago, I'm sure it will happen here too.

BTW you can have both, after my last mod my Xarmor is otaky when turned off and backlit when turned on.

There's probably more otaku boards than backlighted boards being used out there

I'm sure too, ATM mech boards are considered more geek tools than useful improvements by many users, but let the big names start to realize how easy is to make money with mechs and you will see the marked invaded by any kind of mech keyboards, as happened with others "low tech/high value added" goodies like heatsinks, mouse mats, fans and so on.

so I think this demonstrates that backlighting isn't as needed on a computer keyboard as it is on a phone, although I can see it being a good feature for some people.

I face the end users almost every day. The 99% of them are unaware the backlit keyboards are in production, so they don't ask.

Almost every (home) I know has bought a backlit keyboard after seeing one of mine (I use them since 2005 or so).
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 14:14:28 by The Solutor »

Offline greyhounds

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 12:00:50 »
I think this is a great idea as well. I've tried the clicky software and it just doesn't cut it.

I'd also like to see a force trasducer implemented, so you can feel the click through the keyboard.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:23:51 »
Inter-galactic-force-transducer!!!!  I want one too!!

I'm committed to this, if we can complile the various ideas and direction, we can plan, design, buy and build. As I asked in this other THREAD, if I should start a wiki, I'll do it tomorrow.

We could merge these 2 threads into the one Modification article/wiki/discussion.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:32:21 by input nirvana »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:29:45 »
Quote from: greyhounds;374639

I'd also like to see a force trasducer implemented, so you can feel the click through the keyboard.

Was already done the BB storm 2, where four  piezo transducer where utilized both as sensors and as actuators

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:33:57 »
Quote from: hybridsoul5;373608
I know this doesn't happen often but I'm sure we've all had those times where we were forced away from our beloved keyboards for an extended period of time. We think to ourselves, this feels like crap, or I really miss my cherry keys right now...

I was thinking about this problem and realized that while we can't really alter the feel of another keyboard to regain tactility, we can regain some amount of audible feedback.

Why not create a script that runs in the background and emits a click sound via the system's speakers every time a key is registered? I could imagine running it as plug-and-play on a usb stick. I could keep it on my keychain and plug it in whenever I'm using a foreign keyboard for an extended period of time.

Imagine being able to bestow upon your nephew's crappy rubber domes the same click your cherry blues have back home.

This software-based audible feedback may potentially be even more accurate than mechanical audio feedback since it registers only after the switch is activated every time. The one possible downside I see is that the sound may be affected by system performance and old or heavily taxed systems may lag, delaying the click sound. That said, I think the benefits outweigh the potential problems and it would be neat to try.

Thoughts?

if you get withdrawals from keyboards, you might have a problem
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline greyhounds

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 22:32:14 »
Could we figure out what type of tactile transducer is used in cell phones and make use of it? They should be pretty plentiful and cheap.

Offline greyhounds

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 22:34:42 »
I'd also like to have a varied sound profile from each row or area of the keyboard if possible. The clicky software always makes the same exact sound regardless of which key you press.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 22:54:46 »
A micro-motor with an off-balance weight attached to the shaft.  Just like nearly every other vibrating chunk of electronics.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 23:10:28 »
Quote from: greyhounds;375835
Could we figure out what type of tactile transducer is used in cell phones and make use of it? They should be pretty plentiful and cheap.

They use a normal speaker and a sound sample

I'd also like to have a varied sound profile from each row or area of the keyboard if possible.

http://www.colorpilot.com/soundpilot.html