Author Topic: The Kinesis Advantage, Unicomp Space Saver, and Das Keyboard -- two years later  (Read 2765 times)

Offline thousandstars

In response to a query from a reader, I wrote a long post on, as the title implies, what I think of the Kinesis Advantage, Unicomp Space Saver, and Das Keyboard two years later. There's been a flurry of hits on the "The Story's Story" from here lately, which is funny coming in tandem with the e-mail that prompted this post.

Anyhow, the tl;dnr version is that I'm using the Advantage because of its unique layout, which seems superior to me to the benefits or potential benefits of the Space Saver / Customizer.

Offline hella

Thanks for the awesome review dude!  Long-term keyboard reviews are more helpful than the average sub-six month after purchase reviews.  I like your casual approach to keyboard switches and your go-with-the-flow preferences are similar to my own.

In your review you said you'd kill for a buckling spring ergonomic kinesis advantage.  Have you ever thought about a Lexmark/IBM Model M15?

Offline thousandstars

"Have you ever thought about a Lexmark/IBM Model M15? "

No. They look hard to find, and I don't think I'd like one as much as I like the "scooped" shape of the Advantage. I'm surprised no one else has come along to make an Advantage knockoff—$300 really is a lot of cash—but I guess that's how it goes, at least for now.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Quote from: thousandstars;383151
"Have you ever thought about a Lexmark/IBM Model M15? "

No. They look hard to find, and I don't think I'd like one as much as I like the "scooped" shape of the Advantage. I'm surprised no one else has come along to make an Advantage knockoff—$300 really is a lot of cash—but I guess that's how it goes, at least for now.

Maltron is the original.
The design patents are in force for a few more years. A knock-off could be about $200.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

I tried a friend's Maltron and liked it, however the Kinesis' awesome programmability, and now the Cherry MX Red switches in the LF model have made the Kinesis unbeatable for me.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline False_Dmitry_II

That was more of a Kinesis two years later article.

All it did with a das is mention that it existed, but had blue switches (and I don't know why it even says that, since brown das boards are very much available).

Same with the unicomp, just by saying that BS switches would be preferred.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Claims that the Browns and Blues feel the same are... unusual, to say the least.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 07:46:34 by ch_123 »