Author Topic: BlackWidow keycaps durability  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Mater

BlackWidow keycaps durability
« on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 12:24:30 »
Hi guys. I have been browsing this awsome forum for quite some time I thought I have made up my mind but since I am unable to try clear switches in my country (central europe) I stepped down from Deck (clears seamed to be too controversial without trying them first...). It seams that only localy reselled keyboards are some Cherry (which I do not like visually) steelseries (only mx black and I want something tactile)...Anyways I wanted something backlit so razer here I come. I love their mice but I have heard some bad things about their keyboards around here. I also read some reviews and in each of them there were keycaps put in question. I know lycosa keycap finish sucked ass and I would probably kill someone if this would happen to me so please help me preserve humanity and tell me it will last few years as it was meant to be. Glossy finish is horrible as well but I will be able to live with that I think.

Just to clear things up. Deck is shipped here only through middle man. Price inc. shopping high over 200 bucks. DAS do not ship to my country = same as Deck. Same with elite keyboards... Filco is sold in Europe but with shipping and taxes 141 pounds. And 20% VAT that my brilliant country charge for everything up to 150 euros (over that they want customs fee as well). This is the situation if you live outside US...pretty damn sweet...will have to rob a bank or something...

Also I am comming from rubber dome world (ms ergo 4000). If you have some miraculous suggestions I am opened for business :-)

Thank you all in advance, Mater

Offline redpill

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 13:56:11 »
What country are you in?  Have you looked at keyboardco.com?

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Mater

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 15:30:33 »
Quote from: redpill;416117
What country are you in?  Have you looked at keyboardco.com?

Yes I have. Thats where that 141 pounds came from. I am from Czech republic ... :-)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 15:39:21 »
Well... I've heard taking a road *coughkeyboardcough* trip is always an acceptable weekend plan...:becky:

Offline monked

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 17:35:34 »
i am from germany and know your problem :( if you want a mechanical ISOlayout board you are pretty much screwed here...
i loved the idea of getting a good simple mechanical board but after all this **** with DECK not even selling the german ISO layout, the ****ing overpriced FILCOs (sry i just don't feel like buying a blank tenkeyless with zero features for 150€ if you pay 150$ in the states) and the rest being ANSI i just feel like the meme OKAY-GUY and get a crappy steelseries, razer (and i do not like razer(same $->€ **** too)) or ttesports or zowie or something...even a DAS without the chance of getting the switch i want LOL

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26637[/ATTACH]

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 22:26:46 »
Heh. Is your name Mater like tahh-mater, but without the tahh? (best movie ever)

Offline Mater

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:16:35 »
Quote from: SmallFry;416160
Well... I've heard taking a road *coughkeyboardcough* trip is always an acceptable weekend plan...:becky:

Well I like this idea very much but that would not save me the money I am affraid. Also my girlfriend would think I have gone finally crazy or worse... :-)

Quote from: monked;416216
i am from germany and know your problem :( if you want a mechanical ISOlayout board you are pretty much screwed here...
i loved the idea of getting a good simple mechanical board but after all this **** with DECK not even selling the german ISO layout, the ****ing overpriced FILCOs (sry i just don't feel like buying a blank tenkeyless with zero features for 150€ if you pay 150$ in the states) and the rest being ANSI i just feel like the meme OKAY-GUY and get a crappy steelseries, razer (and i do not like razer(same $->€ **** too)) or ttesports or zowie or something...even a DAS without the chance of getting the switch i want LOL

Yes thats how it is for us here. The currency conversion is quite wierd...with filco it even translates as dollar -> pound...interesting economical principle indeed. So we have to buy it locally if we do not want to spend all our money on keyboard. Well on the first glance it sounds cool, but we need other things like....food for instance...sad but true.

Quote from: SmallFry;416318
Heh. Is your name Mater like tahh-mater, but without the tahh? (best movie ever)

I have never seen that movie. Looks interesting...gonna investigate :-)

Well lets get this back on track. What about those keycaps? Will they last or not? Or any other ideas???
Thanks...M

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 15:17:21 »
The caps are rubberized and lasered IIRC, but still usable. Although, the modifiers are different sized, therefore you will never be able to use any of the geekhack MODIFIERS. the ESC keys and the typing part would be fine if the Blackwidow's keys got worn. Be aware of this when buying from razer. Therefore, i would look for a middle-man to help you out. Also Mater, the reference I made was of the Disney animated movie Cars (Link here)

Offline Mater

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:39:41 »
Well I will not buy directly from razer. Razer only offers one year warranty but it is a law that everything is to have two years warranty here so I will not be dealing with Razer but rather with the reseller with good reputation...Since I want to buy the ultimate version I will not be able to replace the keys with the backlit able ones I presume. Thats why I asked if they are good quality and if the rubber will stay even if extensivelly used. If not I will definitelly not buy that one. That is my biggest concern. Oh how I wish decks were reselled here :-(

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 19:45:43 »
Blackwidow keys are not rubberized.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Mater

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 05:39:07 »
Well that goes against common believe but since you appear to own one could you tell us something about that finish? Does it stay the same or does it wear out? What do you think of it?

Offline TopazPie

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 05:53:10 »
The keys do not feel rubberized on the BW. They feel like a smooth soft plastic-ish paint. I have not seen any that have worn out like the old lycosa did, but I imagine that they will wear out much quicker than the standard keycap. Overall, the keycaps feel pretty awesome. If you keep your hands clean, they would most likely last a while. As for how long? I have no idea. I hadn't seen any signs of shine, or wear on them when I had mine (3 months time). I'm selling mine right now though because I want a tenkeyless keyboard. The BW won't fit on my desk with my mouse and I want something that is more portable. Hope this helps you choose.

Offline Mater

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:03:41 »
Quote from: TopazPie;417072
The keys do not feel rubberized on the BW. They feel like a smooth soft plastic-ish paint. I have not seen any that have worn out like the old lycosa did, but I imagine that they will wear out much quicker than the standard keycap. Overall, the keycaps feel pretty awesome. If you keep your hands clean, they would most likely last a while. As for how long? I have no idea. I hadn't seen any signs of shine, or wear on them when I had mine (3 months time). I'm selling mine right now though because I want a tenkeyless keyboard. The BW won't fit on my desk with my mouse and I want something that is more portable. Hope this helps you choose.

Thank you very much. Very helpful :-)
If someone with longer experience could toss in an experience that would be very nice.
Anyways...so far so good. Thank you guys... :-)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 16:46:48 »
Also remember that they also have a "stealth" one now with browns instead of blues.

Offline artee

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 17:48:49 »
Quote from: Mater;416063
Just to clear things up. Deck is shipped here only through middle man. Price inc. shopping high over 200 bucks. DAS do not ship to my country = same as Deck. Same with elite keyboards... Filco is sold in Europe but with shipping and taxes 141 pounds. And 20% VAT that my brilliant country charge for everything up to 150 euros (over that they want customs fee as well). This is the situation if you live outside US...pretty damn sweet...will have to rob a bank or something...

Also I am comming from rubber dome world (ms ergo 4000). If you have some miraculous suggestions I am opened for business :-)

Thank you all in advance, Mater

DAS ships to our country... Through getdigital.de

According to http://www.keyboardco.com/ you can get Filco Majestouch, Tactile Action, USA Keyboard for 117 pounds including taxes and shipping.

Also 20% VAT is charged from the 22 EUR price according to the new law.

EDIT: correcting FILCO price info
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2011, 17:51:29 by artee »

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 21:51:38 »
Quote from: Mater;417070
Well that goes against common believe but since you appear to own one could you tell us something about that finish? Does it stay the same or does it wear out? What do you think of it?

Well, I've only owned it for a short while now, but I bought it used, although lightly. The finish is smooth, and a tad shiny to begin with, I imagine to match the piano black finish of the board itself. It seems like a pretty solid finish, actually. The backlighting is nice too, in case that concerns you.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Mater

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:16:47 »
Quote from: Quarzac;417498
Well, I've only owned it for a short while now, but I bought it used, although lightly. The finish is smooth, and a tad shiny to begin with, I imagine to match the piano black finish of the board itself. It seems like a pretty solid finish, actually. The backlighting is nice too, in case that concerns you.

Are you talking about the keycap finish?? There is something that could be called rubberized finish...they say. Are we on the same boat?...:-)

Offline Mater

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:28:55 »
Quote from: SmallFry;417367
Also remember that they also have a "stealth" one now with browns instead of blues.

Oh I know, thx. It in not sold here at the moment, but I like blues better anyway :-)

Quote from: artee;417403
DAS ships to our country... Through getdigital.de

According to http://www.keyboardco.com/ you can get Filco Majestouch, Tactile Action, USA Keyboard for 117 pounds including taxes and shipping.

Also 20% VAT is charged from the 22 EUR price according to the new law.

EDIT: correcting FILCO price info

Oh from your reply I assume you are from CZ as well so Ahoj a dík za odpověď :-)

Das is shipped here thx for reminding me. It has the same board finish as razer. But without the backlighting (which I like) and with better quality. Also RMA done abroad...this one is VERY tempting indeed. But I suspect whatever I buy now it is not gonna be my last anyway :music:

Anyways. I know about the cheapest offer of keyboardco. I counted the price for the 100 pound one because it is the middleprice one. I know even majetouch 1 will be superb but I kinda liked the blue metalic one. So that is why I used the 141 pounds figure. Also only brown switches are sold this way.

According to web you are charged VAT extra by CZ customs office if you import something in the range of 22 to 150 euro. If more also customs fee is charged extra. VAT is 20% so all that you wrote before (final price - shopping) * 1,2 I suspect.

Offline artee

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 15:19:37 »
Quote from: Mater;417687

Oh from your reply I assume you are from CZ as well so Ahoj a dík za odpověď :-)

According to web you are charged VAT extra by CZ customs office if you import something in the range of 22 to 150 euro. If more also customs fee is charged extra. VAT is 20% so all that you wrote before (final price - shopping) * 1,2 I suspect.

Ahoj :-) When you ship from EU to EU country, the VAT is charged only once... So the 117 GBP paid for FILCO is the final price. But when you'll ship for example from US, be warned that VAT is charged also for shipping, so for Leopold TKL you'll pay ($109 + $50 [shipping :-((])*1.20 = $ 190.8 :-((((

Offline Mater

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 04:30:02 »
Quote from: artee;417817
Ahoj :-) When you ship from EU to EU country, the VAT is charged only once... So the 117 GBP paid for FILCO is the final price. But when you'll ship for example from US, be warned that VAT is charged also for shipping, so for Leopold TKL you'll pay ($109 + $50 [shipping :-((])*1.20 = $ 190.8 :-((((

Oh good....well I mean bad but good to know for sure. Did not know about the shipping. So no Deck for me in the future :-( Sad but at least decision will be easier. Razer or DAS then. I will wait for further confirmation about the Razer caps finish and then decide. Thx :-)