Author Topic: Which wrist/arm rest do you use? and why that particular one?  (Read 5219 times)

Offline AvenZerg

Which wrist/arm rest do you use? and why that particular one?
« on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 14:18:18 »
I've tried finding a similar thread before posting this, but was unsuccessful in my search.. (probably too old anyway)........ (the thread i mean)
Share your experiences with the Gel, Foam, Rubber, Leather etc etc variants that are out there.

As for my own experience i used to have a Foamy one but threw it away because it was too old and kinda dirty (hard to clean after a few years of usage)
It served me well and it wasn't totally squashed as you would expect, it stayed in relative good shape..
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2011, 14:21:10 by AvenZerg »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 14:43:48 »
my fav is the integrated microsoft ergo 4k faux leather (with like 2mm of foam built in) curved properly and feels nice.

Offline AvenZerg

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 19:13:38 »
Quote from: Lanx;429662
my fav is the integrated microsoft ergo 4k faux leather (with like 2mm of foam built in) curved properly and feels nice.

yeah that one looks pretty awsome indeed, i ordered myself one of these for my upcoming Noppoo choc mini.. i think it goes very well with the mouse aswell since that keyboard is very small.. ^__^
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28500[/ATTACH]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 19:18:33 »
other wise i've have like 10 different types of "rest" for my mouse hand from foam to gel, to even microbeads. currently using old 10 year gel thing... yea it's prolly nasty i clorox wipe it once a few months tho.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 04:54:13 »
I wil only use ones that are at least 3.5 in wide and are angled in some way. Right now I am using on that I custom made for my HHKB out of hard wood. I your looking for a Keyboard with a great built in wrist rest take a look at the SteelSeries 7G, may look un comfortable but perfect size and angle for the keyboard.

Offline AvenZerg

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 20:34:25 »
the words "hard wood" and "wrist rest" at first wouldn't sound very compatible lol. But yeah i get your Steelseries 7G reference, could work i guess. Post a pic to see what you're working with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline slueth

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 21:28:45 »
3m gel wrist wrest.

Offline zirb

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 12:51:01 »
Quote from: slueth;443048
3m gel wrist wrest.

this. easy to clean, keeps its form while not beeing too stiff

as mousepad i use the razer vespula but i think i will switch to the mousepad by 3M too. the one by razer is not really the best quality

Offline Foodmanchew

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:42:24 »
I have read that with proper typing posture, you don't need a wrist rest. However, I find that my arms and shoulders get a bit tense. I think I may just need to lower my desk or get a chair that goes higher. Or maybe I'll just get a wrist rest. :P

Offline zirb

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 02:01:18 »
Yes your posture is really important! Your legs and arms should be right-angled and of course you should have your back straight up. Even though I am sitting right (friend of mine is a physiotherapist) my wrists began to hurt which led me to buy wristwrests.

Offline ThatBum

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 06:54:44 »
I despise gel wrist wrests. After a while the top surface wears through and it pops, and the gel gets everywhere in odd sticky blobs. The fabric memory foam ones are good, it's like a little throw pillow for my wrists. :D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 07:08:33 »
At work, I use a rice bag of a kind that is supposed to be heated in the microwave and worn around the shoulders if you have got back pain.
While it is nice to have a heated wrist rest, it has the drawback that the rice moves around..

I have recently found a pair of Ergo Rest in a local dumpster, but I think that they feel weird. Having the lower arms suspended over the keyboard without any effort is nice, but they tend to move around a lot over the keyboard amplifying any movement that I make with a hand. When I move my right hand between the keyboard and mouse, I have to fight against the Ergo Rest's arm. I'd rather have a flat elevated shelf in front of the keyboard than a moving Ergo Rest.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2011, 07:26:09 by Findecanor »

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 08:19:19 »
Eric Barney makes nice wooden wrist rests. I don't have one yet so I can't say how they feel from experience but, by all accounts, they are as comfortable as the gel and leather ones if not more so. And they look classy.
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 15:13:54 »
I just got a EK leather one its very very nice, now I only wish they had one HHKB size. I you want a cheap wrist rest and are fine with the standard 2.5in width I recommended http://tinyurl.com/6vqnxaw (none that I have gotten come with the stupid logo). It feels great due to the rubber foam material and I prefer it to the memory foam ones that I have because you sink in less. I have glued 2 together to make it 5in wide the only problem is the seam is hard and its just about where I rest my wrists so I gave up on it. I also made a wood one for my HHKB that works rather nicely but I think I prefer the EK one at the moment.

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 17:14:46 »
Quote from: Foodmanchew;449352
I have read that with proper typing posture, you don't need a wrist rest. However, I find that my arms and shoulders get a bit tense. I think I may just need to lower my desk or get a chair that goes higher. Or maybe I'll just get a wrist rest. :P

Yep, with good form, you shouldn't need a wrist rest, and in fact, if you keep your wrists elevated it definitely promotes better touch typing habits since your hands are more free to move around, i.e. no more reaching for those F keys, alas, this is *whilst* typing. During the breaks in between typing passages, it's sometimes nice to have a comfy wrist rest:)

Offline chario

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 00:24:46 »
Most of computer desks are actually ruining hands.

A right desk don't need arm rest. The right posture of typing keyboard is almost same as playing piano. The angle between arm and hands is flat or 5 to 10 degree downward.

Offline AvenZerg

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 09:38:14 »
i think it also helps not having your keyboard to the edge of your desk trololo...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 09:12:34 »
I use one of the EK leather ones.  I personally only use a wrist rest for when I'm not actually typing, so I prefer ones that aren't too thick and are just soft enough to be comfortable.  The leather one I have fits the bill perfectly, and I like it a lot.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 09:05:58 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:24:08 by davkol »