Author Topic: White Kinesis Advantage  (Read 8147 times)

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 18:34:44 »
I'm thinking about buying my next Kinesis in white to be able to mix the colors up a little. I think white shell with black keys and vice versa could look good.

In this pic from wikimedia, the shell looks like a "crisp" white while the keycaps look a bit dull:

But it can be hard to tell from pictures. Can anyone who has a white Kinesis confirm/deny this? And describe the quality of its whiteness?
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 19:46:25 »
Nah, the keycaps and case are pretty even IMO. Probably the case reflects the camera flash more is my guess about the photo.
However I've seen whiter whites, for example a white keycap I got from WASDkeyboards is a brighter white than the Kinesis white.
Not necessarily a bad thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

BTW here's what I did with a couple of my black/white boards (top is an Advantage LF with red switches, bottom is a PS/2 Classic)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 36432[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 18:16:42 »
Ok, thanks.

The checkerboard makes my head spin, though :-P

Do you know if they have the money back guarantee on the LF model? (Edit: I'm pretty sure, I'll dig it, but it's nice to feel safe.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2012, 18:22:59 by erw »
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 18:34:51 »
No idea. The question never even crossed my mind, but you can ask them and let us know what they say.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 20:38:36 »
I think I asked them too many questions last time I ordered! Very kind people, though :-)

Anyway, their policy is pretty clear, so not to worry. Not that I'll need it anyway.

Money Back Guarantee
All products purchased directly from Kinesis qualify for a 60 day money-back guarantee (except for Kinesis and Neutral Posture Chairs which have a 30 day money-back and a 35% restocking fee), excluding shipping/handling charges.

Do you have any pics with mixed black/white but without a more calm combination?

Also, I'm thinking that maybe white keys on a black body is more attractive than the reverse (and that I should therefore order another black and then custom keycaps). But on the other hand this black-on-white looks pretty good:

Quote from: Findecanor;451109
(Attachment Link) 31774[/ATTACH]

What do you think?

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 21:43:43 »
Yeah, white keycaps on black case and vise versa sounds cool.
One thing I tried was stripes, see post #8 in this thread:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?18283-How-do-you-like-these-2-chequered-Kinesis-Advantage

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 09:29:09 »
Oh, ok. I didn't know the LF only came in black (my other Advantage is also black). I wonder if they'll sell me one with white keycaps. Or even regular black with Swedish legends. I can ask when they have replied to my first email (whether or not the LF is even still available).

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 09:38:36 »
I don't see why they couldn't install white keycaps on the LF. Worst case scenario: You can buy a set of white keycaps from them, last time I asked they were $35 for standard and $39 for dual legends (qwerty / dvorak).

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 16:44:00 »
Ok, it seems I can only buy the full normal black LF with US layout and then order some caps on the side. They said I could get a set of Swedish caps for $25! Maybe it's because I'm buying them together with a keyboard.

Which modifier keys does a standard US advantage include? I'd like to have both an AltGr and a Windows key (besides Alt and Ctrl, of course) (and I know I can ask them, but I've already been sending them a lot of email).

Also, do you think it would stand out (in a bad way) if I mixed Kinesis white keys and WASD white keys?

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 23:27:44 »
The standard US board comes with 2 controls, 1 alt, 1 alt/option, 2 windows/apple command keys. Out of these 6 keys you would use your 4 preferred ones (and then have 2 spares off the keyboard). For example, I use the 2 controls and the 2 alts (one of which I use for AltGr).

I have a white WASD key and do see a brightness difference, but my white kinesises range from 5 to 18 years old and are possibly yellowed. There may not be a big difference at all with a new set.. However to be safe, I wouldn't use WASD white keys next to kinesis white keys, but if one type is in the thumb area and the other type is in the keywell area it should not clash at all.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 03:15:51 »
All WASD key caps.
Once we work out the last details :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 13:19:12 »
Yes, I do hope we can get custom tall modifiers.

Btw, does WASD do white on black? In the pics most keys have a dark etching while black keys have some kind of grey-brown-ish letters: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-sets/wasd-arrows-etched-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

Offline wrtcedar

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 00:57:57 »
Quote from: erw;482032
Do you know if they have the money back guarantee on the LF model? (Edit: I'm pretty sure, I'll dig it, but it's nice to feel safe.)

I spent some time at Kinesis yesterday with a regular Advantage under one hand and the LF model under the other. I left with the LF. Reds are great on this keyboard! I'm sure that they would take it back, but I doubt that you'll want to give it up.

They asked if I'd been on GH when I asked about the LF version.

Offline sordna

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 01:10:01 »
Wow, that must have been an interesting visit, lucky you being close to them! What are their offices like? Did you see any historical keyboards or anything else noteworthy, keyboards being assembled, etc ?

Offline Input Nirvana

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 01:47:26 »
Did they have a "Grotto" like at the Playboy mansion where you smoke cigars, drink port, and have bunnies frolicking about? Anybody wearing purple velour suits and walking sticks like street pimps? Cause their keyboard is pimp-O-licious! You shoulda taken pics! Anything else?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline wrtcedar

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 16:17:02 »
Quote from: sordna;483627
Wow, that must have been an interesting visit, lucky you being close to them! What are their offices like? Did you see any historical keyboards or anything else noteworthy, keyboards being assembled, etc ?

The demo area was right inside the door, they seemed busy (they'd just gotten back from their holiday shutdown), and I wasn't alone, so I didn't ask for a tour. They're in a pretty standard industrial park. The front office area doesn't have a lot to distinguish it, beyond the framed pictures of the original contour keyboard on the wall and the Kinesis keyboards attached to every computer.

They had to get an LF keyboard out of the back so that I could try it out and also brought out a partially assembled LF key bowl. These keyboards look pretty labor intensive.

Offline wrtcedar

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 16:27:27 »
Quote from: input nirvana;483637
Did they have a "Grotto" like at the Playboy mansion where you smoke cigars, drink port, and have bunnies frolicking about? ...

Well, there was a friendly dalmatian there wearing a spiffy red wraparound. But that's probably not what you had in mind. It belongs to the President/CEO. They both wandered by. Friendly place.

Rick (who I've seen mentioned here before) set me up in the demo area and answered questions. He was very helpful, as was the visit overall.

Offline Input Nirvana

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 18:02:49 »
Heh heh. A friendly Dalmation sounds just as good.

But, no Kinesis Cheerleading Squad? I'm a little disappointed.

Offline boli

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 10:41:48 »
Quote from: wrtcedar;483621
I spent some time at Kinesis yesterday with a regular Advantage under one hand and the LF model under the other. I left with the LF. Reds are great on this keyboard! I'm sure that they would take it back, but I doubt that you'll want to give it up.

Reds feel very nice indeed. I just got my replacement LF key wells last week, so I can convert one of the non-LFs I have, but I haven't had the opportunity to swap them yet (damn Skyrim ;-)).

Update: Just replaced the keywells of my older (brown) Advantage with the red key wells. Switching the wells was easy, just 6 screws to get the bottom off the keyboard, and then 3 screws per well. Haven't resoldered the thumb keys, might need a new soldering iron (one with a finer tip) for that. Changing the key caps too way longer than I thought it would, also it's scary how much disgusting stuff accumulates in a keyboard in less than 4 years. :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2012, 02:46:25 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Lanx

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 14:53:55 »
don't eat at your desktop, then you'll just find hair and lots of deadskin cells instead of crumbs and chips. I guess GATTACA vacuum is good too, but unless you're trying to hide your identity, too troublesome!

Offline Arktik

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 13:39:42 »
Update: Just replaced the keywells of my older (brown) Advantage with the red key wells. Switching the wells was easy, just 6 screws to get the bottom off the keyboard, and then 3 screws per well. Haven't resoldered the thumb keys, might need a new soldering iron (one with a finer tip) for that. Changing the key caps too way longer than I thought it would, also it's scary how much disgusting stuff accumulates in a keyboard in less than 2 years. :D

Desoldering will be tricky because of the legs of the mx switches ;) i also had a brown advantage and ordered key wells with red switches and changed the thumb switches, after i was satisfied with the reds. Then i saw the keyboard of sordna moded with o-rings. With it it is a bit less clicky. Orings should really be less then 70 shores (softer). 70 will damp little.
Kinesis Advantage LF (with Cherry switches MX Red), O-ring-mod for dampening | Cool Master Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Red, O-ring-mod; using AutoHotKey

Offline erw

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 16:05:16 »
Quote from: erw;482642
They said I could get a set of Swedish caps for $25! Maybe it's because I'm buying them together with a keyboard.

Nope, it was because they didn't give me a full set of keycaps, only the 22 keys needed to convert US into Swedish.

Offline boli

White Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 17:59:04 »
Quote from: erw;491884
Nope, it was because they didn't give me a full set of keycaps, only the 22 keys needed to convert US into Swedish.

Oh sweet, I take it you got your LF then, how do you like it?

Update: Nevermind, found your thread about it. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 18:02:25 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com