Author Topic: proper touch-typing  (Read 28675 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
proper touch-typing
« on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 18:08:32 »
i can touch type perfectly fine on blank keys between 65-75 wpm. however, i just started learning the dvorak layout, and because i started from scratch, i realized that i haven't been properly touch typing for the past 12 years. there are a few keys that are not pressed with the correct finger, especially the numbers/symbol keys.

for example, it feels uncomfortable to press the "0" or "1" keys with the pinkies, so i use either the middle finger or ring finger (depending what is more convenient at the time right before the key press). but looking at the picture below of the finger color-coded QWERTY layout, the "1" and the "0" should be pressed with left and right pinkies. my pinky is short, so it feels unnatural to reach all the way up to press these keys. or, instead of using my left middle finger to press "C", i pull the left index finger down to press the "C" key instead because it feels more natural. i didn't even realize this all these years until i started learning a new layout. does this mean that i can touch type, but been doing it improperly? is there a right and wrong way to touch type, and does typing speed increase if done correctly?

and just a few questions so i can get an idea of how you guys touch type. maybe you guys can copy/paste these questions and delete my answers to put in your own answer:

1) "backspace" key using the right pinky?
no, i use my left ring finger

2) use both "shift" key to capitalize?
no, i exclusively use the left "shift" only. then "A", "Q", and "Z" is pressed with ring finger if need to be capitalized

3) use both thumbs to press the space bar?
no, only my right thumb.

4) press the numbers and symbol keys with the correct finger?
no, just whatever is comfortable

5) any other keys pressed with the wrong finger?
index finger to "C", and ring finger to "Z"
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2012, 18:46:40 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Playtrumpet

proper touch-typing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 18:27:16 »
1) "backspace" key using the left pinky?
Nope, my right pinky. I have Caps Lock remapped as Backspace, but I never made the actual switch.

Exclusively the left. Based on a search I'd estimate that anywhere from 40-66% of people use only the left while fewer use both and even fewer use only the right shift key.

Only the left. My typing teacher back in elementary school made me use my right, but it wasn't natural for me. Oddly, when I switched to Dvorak layout I started using both thumbs but then decided it was detrimental and so I forced myself only to use the left again.

Never have.

Yes and no. Because of Dvorak, I now touch type properly. However, there are instances where I can avoid same finger strokes, such as in the word "piece." In Dvorak, P and I should both be typed with the index finger, but I'll use my middle finger on the P to create a roll with PI. This is one of a few word-based changes. Otherwise I type with the proper fingers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2012, 18:30:06 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline dabeshu

proper touch-typing
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 18:59:35 »
Survey thread holla

1) "backspace" key using the left pinky?
Yup

I usually only use the right shift, but I'm trying to train myself to use both.

Just the right

Nope

I end up reaching to hit keys on the right side of the main cluster with pointer and ring fingers. It's my pitfall as as typist

Offline emptyk

proper touch-typing
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:07:39 »
1.  Backspace key with right pinky = sometimes, but usually with the right ring finger because I tend to move my right hand over to reach the backspace key.

2.  Use both shift keys to capitalize = Yes.  Otherwise it seems really awkward to capitalize the letters on the left side.  This must be a by-product of typing class in high school.  To this day I feel that taking typing class as an elective was one of the best decisions I ever made.

3.  Use both thumbs for space bar = No.  Right only.

4.  Press the numbers and symbols with the correct finger = no.  my dainty little fingers can barely reach that row.

5.  any other keys pressed with the wrong finger - I don't think so.  All letters are typed with the correct fingers.  I don't pay attention to the [, ], or \ keys.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
proper touch-typing
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:12:56 »
This is kind of interesting. I learned touch typing on a real typewriter decades ago, but it sounds like I type almost exactly the same way as White Fire Dragon, at least on the keys he describes.

Recently using a keyboard with function keys on both top and left, I find the left ones much easier to use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sordna

proper touch-typing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:18:57 »
Yes, i use my right pinky on regular keyboards (left thumb on the Kinesis Advantage)

Yes, I always use the shift that's opposite to the key being capitalized

No, only my right thumb.

Yes.

No, but my keyboard lends itself to proper touch typing. I was typing all over the place until I got the Kinesis and switched to dvorak at the same time, and thus was able to shake my various bad habits and learn proper touch typing. I don't even need to look at the number row with this keyboard!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline FinancialWar

proper touch-typing
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:22:29 »
I am a dvorak typist with everything in standard typing position.

I can tell you that the picture you have shown is not a standard keyboard. It's a laptop keyboard.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nhwhaup

proper touch-typing
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:32:56 »
yes

yes, use the opposite shift key

no, only my right thumb.

no, usually use pointers for that row

pointers to the F keys as well
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
proper touch-typing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 19:37:37 »
I'm a qwerty typist and I touch type with no regard for what fingers are where and I don't use the home row at all.  My points of reference are the space bar with my thumbs, left shift and enter with my pinkies.  I average 90 wpm, faster than that would have no value for me so I see no need to find a way to better my speed.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline scriz

proper touch-typing
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:05:13 »
How in the world are you guys pressing the backspace on the RIGHT side of the keyboard with your LEFT hand?  Please explain.

I found the Dvorak method more straining to my hands and my brain.  After being a QWERTY touch typist for the past 20 years learning a new way to type is just out of the question.  I type 90-105wpm with the way that I type, so it seems to be working for me.

Right ring finger

Right pinky exclusively

right thumb exclusively

nope, use the number pad unless I don't have one then I peck

P with right ring Q with left ring B right right index

Offline Korben D.

proper touch-typing
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:28:09 »
no, i use my right ring finger

I only use my right shift key, regardless of the key I am trying to input. Though, I've been practicing using both for WPM

no, only my right thumb.

no, just whatever is comfortable

Right ring for comma, left ring finger for z, and no pinky use on right of hand for any keys....

I get 80wpm if you were wondering.

Offline pyro

proper touch-typing
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:29:09 »
I touch type at 80 wpm average on a dvorak layout.

No, ring finger or Ctrl+H or Ctrl+W, where it works.

I used to alternate appropriately (and fluently) for about a month, but since I remapped shift to capslock I only ever use that, because it's more comfortable.

No, retrained to use the left one, to relieve right hand strain in dvorak.

No, if it's just a single one; yes, if entering long dates or account numbers. Reaching the top row with your little finger isn't a good idea, in my opinion. I also found it hard to hit some of them accurately (5 or 6 for instance).

Yes, if it makes typing more comfortable. But I wouldn't do that, if I was still learning, because it will confuse your unestablished muscle memory and you'll make more mistakes if you aren't proficient yet, which will prolong the learning phase unnecessarily.

Offline nolliepoper

proper touch-typing
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:36:25 »
I can understand using left pointer for the 'C' letter but left ring finger on the 'Z' does not feel as good.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Rajagra

proper touch-typing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:39:56 »
I reprogram CapsLock to act as Backspace, so left pinky. But if I must use the normal key, then right pinky.

Yes.

Mostly right thumb (instinct, not choice.)

Yes.

No. But I note that '6' is closer to the left index than the right on a standard keyboard, so there is a strong reason to override the 'correct' finger.

I type properly. I type accurately. I don't type very fast. Speed is not the main reason for following the rules.

Offline SBI

proper touch-typing
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 21:30:19 »
Mostly. Can also mash it with my ring finger

Indeed, anything else is a PITA.

Right exclusively, don't know why. I learned the correct way, but that somehow established itself. Compy enough for me not to do anything about it.

Pretty much. Always depends on the situation, if I do one particular task a few times, I replace my hands.

Yeah, a bunch. B and C for starters (but it does shift on ISO layouts), and also a whole lot of the right-pinky-side that I combine differently. I have really small hands, so some of the combinations are just ridiculous to me. I type fast and I've been going for over ten years of programming without any trouble, so it works for me. Plus, my main keyboard is blank, so as long as I hit the right keys, I'm pretty happy. And we have an alt-gr key, so a lot of those combos shift completely because my right thumb will be on that. Makes the whole right side of the keyboard different, but, in my opinion, easier.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
proper touch-typing
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 23:27:36 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:17:49 by davkol »

Offline Tony

proper touch-typing
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 23:54:59 »
[video=youtube;4GDusA21cEA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GDusA21cEA[/video]

Typing tips from the fastest typist, Sean Wrona (averaged 170-180wpm, max 220wpm).

Quote from http://seanwrona.com/typing.html

I am also frequently asked for tips on typing faster. I believe my biggest advantage in typing is that I do not necessarily use the same finger to type the same key. I use whichever finger is most comfortable, which can vary based on the context of the letters in the word. I cannot completely explain what I'm doing since I have been doing it since my childhood and it comes naturally, but I do tend to use whichever finger is closest based on the positioning of my hands typing the other letters in the word.

Additionally, if you want to increase your speed, do not type each word at uniform speed. Speed through the easier words and take a little more time on the harder words to ensure accuracy. Always focus on the word after the word you are currently typing so there are no unnatural pauses in your typing. I recommend using caps lock instead of shift to type capital letters to allow more flexibility in the hand that you would normally use shift with.

Finally, with regard to online typing games, for whatever reason my scores seem to register higher in Google Chrome. Although this won't actually improve your speed, it could improve your nominal scores on certain typing sites.

==================

I think that such insights are very useful. Sean Wrona is the fastest typist now, and he is not following any standard typing style at all.

Proper touch typing way is whatever way you feel comfortable.

For Qwerty (the past), frequently used E and T are on the upper row, so my hands are not on the home row often.

For Colemak (the present), I use standard typing finger position, since all most frequently used keys now are on the home row.

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 00:09:57 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
proper touch-typing
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 00:32:39 »
Quote from: alaricljs;483471
I'm a qwerty typist and I touch type with no regard for what fingers are where and I don't use the home row at all.  My points of reference are the space bar with my thumbs, left shift and enter with my pinkies.  I average 90 wpm, faster than that would have no value for me so I see no need to find a way to better my speed.

Speed is not the main reason to touch type "properly".  It's about comfort and ergonomics.

Offline sordna

Sean Wrona recommends using Caps Lock
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 00:44:40 »
Quote from: Tony;483599
Quote from: Sean Wrona
I recommend using caps lock instead of shift to type capital letters to allow more flexibility in the hand that you would normally use shift with.

Ha! Take that Caps Lock haters :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Tony

proper touch-typing
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 01:05:50 »
Left pinky (Colemak) and right ring finger, whichever is free at the moment.

Yes

Only the left

Yes, except -+_= sometimes typed by ring finger...

No.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 01:08:11 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
proper touch-typing
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 02:39:09 »
wow i'm actually amazed at the results so far. i thought i was one of the few that didn't touch-type how it was suppose to be done (hence making this thread), but it turns out that most people actually don't exactly follow the designated finger guides for a few of the keys. there's a few exceptions like sordna, but he's kinda cheating using the kinesis haha

fossala

proper touch-typing
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 02:48:30 »
I use kinesis pretty much exclusively and backspace is mapped to your left thumb. But when I do go on an IBM layout keyboard I use my right little finger.

Yes, but had to teach myself (did when I learned dvorak.

Only right, on both a kinesis and standard.

Yes.

Nope.

Offline ViciousXUSMC

• http://www.ViciousComputers.com
proper touch-typing
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 03:01:34 »
Yep

Yep

Right thumb only the thumb never moves and space key already in reach so cant see how there is any means to use both thumbs.

Yep

No, I took a typing class so I guess they taught us the traditional "proper" way and it stuck with me.  I tried Colmak for a while and I feel its better than QWERTY and DVORAK but problem is that I have to type so much every day that I cant lose my speed to use the new layout and I am also a gamer and some games do not cope well with new key layouts.  So that means I need to keep using both and I think I am a one or the other guy so I ended up sticking with QWERTY.

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
proper touch-typing
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 03:07:08 »
Interesting read. Informative post. Thumbs up.
Head in the clouds.

Offline Ciardhubh

proper touch-typing
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 05:16:54 »
sometimes, ring finger more often though

both, left more frequently

both, right more frequently

more or less

Some variations to improve flow and reduce hand movements. Generally, I increased the ring-finger key-set by reducing the pinky's. I also don't restrict fingers to specific rows because it's faster to alternate between rows (e.g. write C and E of the word ONCE with different fingers simultaneously).

Rigid touch typing rules are decent to improve from using only one or two fingers. Beyond that, the "right" way depends on the task at hand, language and individual anatomy, in my opinion.

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

proper touch-typing
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 07:35:29 »
Learned to type on typenwriter in 2nd grade (29 right now) because I saw older sister and mom using it and I thought it was so cool. Played muds forever and learned BASIC in 4th grade so lots of typing in my life. Can keep 85+ Wpm all day. No punctuation I can burst up to 140wpm. Can't wait till l my first Mkb ships and see how fast I fly at work!

How long is learning curve to adjust?

Always

Left shift for rift hand letters and vice versa. Work laptop only has one ctrl so I have to use left one.

Yes. If next letter will be used with right then space bar with be left thumb and vice versa

Mostly

Most are good until I use laptop that has fn at bottom left. WHY?!?!? put cntrl in bottom corners!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
proper touch-typing
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 07:46:37 »
Quote from: hashbaz;483612
Speed is not the main reason to touch type "properly".  It's about comfort and ergonomics.

Need I remind you that touch-typing was not designed with ergonomics in mind?  It's a pre-ergo idea in order to make it possible to teach people a uniform way to type so that there can be a 'typing class' for all those secretaries.  This is why stuff like Dvorak and Colemak exist because people are taking proper touch-typing as a given and modifying the keyboard to make it less painful even with the repetitiveness.  I wonder where I'd be at if I started on Colemak and continued on exactly as I did with Qwerty.

RSI is repetitive stress... what is proper touch typing apart from a prescription for RSI?  I'm coming up on 30 years of being behind a keyboard and 25 years of that being 10+ hours a day.  I've never had even a slight twinge of RSI or tendinitis or any other related problem.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 07:49:34 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
proper touch-typing
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 09:47:36 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:17:28 by davkol »

Offline Culinia

proper touch-typing
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 10:16:04 »
Well I learnt the 'proper touch-typing method' because well...I'm not going to lie...I thought my first mech 'board was a waste of money and did not feel different - quite the opposite now. In other words it was justification for me keeping an expensive keyboard without returning it. Plus I always wanted to 'type properly' because I thought I couldn't.

Previously, I had typed for many years but I did not naturally adopt my own efficient touch typing technique. Sure I could "touch type" although it was a bit inconsistent (e.g. typing T-H-A-T = MID-IND-PIN-MID)and admittedly I would have to still glance down when I 'lost my place.' So depending on your definition, I actually couldn't. Anyway, now that I think of it, if I naturally found my own 'home row' then I probably wouldn't have to glance down to return to whatever I returned to at the time, although I cannot remember what now.

I would describe Wrona's technique as an incredible visualization anticipatory skill, which is quite amazing in my opinion in order to do that. I obviously could not do that, so that's why I put time aside to learn the 'proper touch-typing method' which I always wanted to do, but never really bothered putting in the time and effort but forced myself to do when I got my first mech in order to justify it's cost. And it sure is paying back dividends.

And now, to answer the Thread Starter's questions:

I type colemak. Backspace is on the former Capslock key. I use my left pinky.

Yes, I try to use the opposites. Admittedly, when doing typing tests and depending on the position of the previous key, sometimes I use the closest one e.g. left-shift for T.

I swapped spacing only left thumb for only right thumb because my left thumb was hurting.

Yes, always. Even the stupid ones such as 6 and 3 with the middle.

No, I am pure - or rather stupid :)

Offline sordna

proper touch-typing
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 10:19:29 »
Quote from: alaricljs;483743
RSI is repetitive stress... what is proper touch typing apart from a prescription for RSI?

That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure touch typing is bad for RSI though, the repetitive stress is your fingers pushing the keys, so if you type the same amount of text at the same speed, why would touch-typing it be worse for RSI?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
proper touch-typing
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 10:32:43 »
Quote from: sordna;483828
That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure touch typing is bad for RSI though, the repetitive stress is your fingers pushing the keys, so if you type the same amount of text at the same speed, why would touch-typing it be worse for RSI?

On the one hand RSI is repetition of the same exact stress over and over, such as people that get RSI on their mouse hand.  This comes from holding the mouse to firmly, clicking the buttons viciously... or perhaps just weak wrists/hands.  Since even with proper touch typing you aren't doing the exact same motion over and over with any particular finger it's not really as repetitive.  On the other hand this doesn't prevent people getting RSI issues from proper touch typing.  All I know is my own experiences which include many 'proper' typists complaining of pains and none of the people I know that aren't 'proper' complaining.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline sordna

proper touch-typing
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 11:26:51 »
Hmm, perhaps the problem is the heavy use of the pinkies during touch typing. People that don't touch type, usually make little use of the pinkies, and tend to peck with the 3-4 strongest fingers.

Offline xorxpto

proper touch-typing
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 13:37:44 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;483422

index finger to "C", and ring finger to "Z"

index finger to "C", mid finger to "X" and ring finger to "Z" makes a lot of sense. It's more natural!
I'm adopting this technique right now :smile:

Offline shrap

proper touch-typing
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 13:41:59 »
Quote from: alaricljs;483839
All I know is my own experiences which include many 'proper' typists complaining of pains and none of the people I know that aren't 'proper' complaining.

There's probably a correlation between "proper" typists who care about the "proper way" to touch type, and amount of typing. I would say the connection is more likely between amount of typing and pain, rather than the typing method - as well as the fact you probably can't type very fast with a hunt and peck typer, so inherently they cannot do a lot of typing.

Ergonomics is defined by designing things for the human body. As human bodies differ drastically, it usually means that things are adjustable. I would think that forcing everyone into one "perfect" method of typing is actually the opposite of ergonomic, and ergonomic keyboards are non-standard.

Offline Rajagra

proper touch-typing
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:59:06 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;483651
wow i'm actually amazed at the results so far. i thought i was one of the few that didn't touch-type how it was suppose to be done (hence making this thread), but it turns out that most people actually don't exactly follow the designated finger guides for a few of the keys. there's a few exceptions like sordna, but he's kinda cheating using the kinesis haha

More people would follow the standard if the standard wasn't so flawed.
Having said that, typing 'properly' delivers rewards if you switch to a more sensible (ergonomic) design.

Offline xorxpto

proper touch-typing
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 13:27:48 »
I touch-type like this now:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50815[/ATTACH]

This is a modified version of the QGMLWY keyboard layout, with some keys swapped and remapped
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 May 2012, 17:21:16 by xorxpto »

Offline Internetlad

proper touch-typing
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 14:19:04 »
Left ring finger. Basically everything that I have to press with my left pinky is a huge crapshoot. I know P : and ? for my left pinky  and the rest i have to cheat on because i use them so rarely.

Only use left shift , Hit QAZ with ring finger since i have to move my hand to press shift anyways.

no, only my right thumb.

I press 1 with my left ring, 6 with my left forefinger, 0 with right ring. The symbols are totally a crapshoot for me too, I have to stop and check which is which for about 80 percent of them.

As I said, anything on the left pinky is just out the window. Enter is usually ring and forefinger, especially on a stiffer keyboard (BS) and backspace usually gets hammered on with my left ring because i type an extra 5 characters before I realize i've made a mistake.

I type ~80-90 WPM (last test said 88) on a good day, that's without anything confusing to me like symbols, and I most likely type faster than that when not typing something dictated. (I know what i want to type and it just gets typed instead of reading it and thinking "that's weirded oddly" or making a mistake in the conversion.)

I have some very bad typing habits, some of it I attribute to being a computer technician (READ: Computer Janitor) and having to work on every manner of crap ass laptop keyboard with weird layouts (Bugs me when i try to do windows+pause and like 60 percent of them don't have Pause/Break on the KB at all, or when they move something like Delete to some weird ass position.)

I could definetely improve, but for where I am, I'm happy with my typing skills, i'm still faster than most anybody I know IRL if i'm on a decent KB.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lanx

proper touch-typing
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 15:04:56 »
Quote from: xorxpto;484823
I touch-type like this now:

(Attachment Link) 36802[/ATTACH]

This is a modified version of the QGMLWY keyboard layout, with R<->D H<->I swapped, and some keys remapped
good lord, this image looks like a psychedelic butterfly.

Offline roise0r

Re: proper touch-typing
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:51:37 »
In order to be a fast typist, what's more important than always hitting keys with the right fingers, is to type consecutive letters with the least movement and comfortably. I also think it's important to be able to type combos efficiently. Typing fast is not about how fast can you hit a key, but how many words per unit time can you output as a whole, thus WPM. A crucial part in being really fast is to anticipate the position of the fingers one or two keystrokes in advance. It's ok (and preferable) to press 'c' with your index finger when your next letter is 'd' and use the middle finger if your next letter is 'g'. Also you might find that some of the keys that we're supposed to press with right pinky are more confortable pressed with the ring finger if the following key gets the pinky. Like hitting backspace with ring while following 'enter' with pinky.

A few more examples:
 - press backspace with ring finger in general (requieres just pivoting of your palm instead of slightly raising the whole palm, especially for those with short pinkies and if palm is resting infront of the keyboard and not hovering over it). Use the pinky if the next letter you are about to write is one of the far-reach 'y' 'h' '7' etc.
 - press 'b' with left index if next key is any of 'yuhjnm', but press with right index if it's any of 'gtrfv'
 - press 'm' with right middle if next key is any of the 'yhn'
 - press '(' and ')' with right middle and ring, but use only pinky for '[' and ']'
 - On the shift key: I think the left shift is more valuable than the right (for right-handed), because of the fact that we use the mouse a lot while we are typing smth small and in caps. That said, when just typing (no mouse) using right shift for caping left handed letters is faster.

A while ago, when I was just starting out the adventure of learning to touch type I wrote this little program that given a corpus of text, will output a histogram of each letter and what is the frequency of any other letter occurring after it in order to come up with the ultimate (dynamic, I might add) finger placement configuration! Now I think it's a waste of time to try and find every possible combination of keystrokes out there and try to figure out the optimal way of pressing keys based on each one. While learning, in the beginning might be better idea to focus on strictly leaning the official layout and start modifying according to what's comfortable to you once every keystroke you make comes out naturally from muscle memory. This will force you to break habits a few times, which might sound like a bad idea, but actually is good for your brain. (google the tons of research on this)

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:55:57 »
In order to be a fast typist, what's more important than always hitting keys with the right fingers, is to type consecutive letters with the least movement and comfortably. I also think it's important to be able to type combos efficiently. Typing fast is not about how fast can you hit a key, but how many words per unit time can you output as a whole, thus WPM. A crucial part in being really fast is to anticipate the position of the fingers one or two keystrokes in advance. It's ok (and preferable) to press 'c' with your index finger when your next letter is 'd' and use the middle finger if your next letter is 'g'. Also you might find that some of the keys that we're supposed to press with right pinky are more confortable pressed with the ring finger if the following key gets the pinky. Like hitting backspace with ring while following 'enter' with pinky.

A few more examples:
 - press backspace with ring finger in general (requieres just pivoting of your palm instead of slightly raising the whole palm, especially for those with short pinkies and if palm is resting infront of the keyboard and not hovering over it). Use the pinky if the next letter you are about to write is one of the far-reach 'y' 'h' '7' etc.
 - press 'b' with left index if next key is any of 'yuhjnm', but press with right index if it's any of 'gtrfv'
 - press 'm' with right middle if next key is any of the 'yhn'
 - press '(' and ')' with right middle and ring, but use only pinky for '[' and ']'
 - On the shift key: I think the left shift is more valuable than the right (for right-handed), because of the fact that we use the mouse a lot while we are typing smth small and in caps. That said, when just typing (no mouse) using right shift for caping left handed letters is faster.

A while ago, when I was just starting out the adventure of learning to touch type I wrote this little program that given a corpus of text, will output a histogram of each letter and what is the frequency of any other letter occurring after it in order to come up with the ultimate (dynamic, I might add) finger placement configuration! Now I think it's a waste of time to try and find every possible combination of keystrokes out there and try to figure out the optimal way of pressing keys based on each one. While learning, in the beginning might be better idea to focus on strictly leaning the official layout and start modifying according to what's comfortable to you once every keystroke you make comes out naturally from muscle memory. This will force you to break habits a few times, which might sound like a bad idea, but actually is good for your brain. (google the tons of research on this)

Welcome to GeekHack, we love necro bumps!
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline MahBoi

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:55:37 »
Edit: Ha, well, I guess I'm in on the necromancy.

yes

yes

no, right only for typing

yes

none

Mavis Beacon set me straight early on and it stuck with me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 15:59:21 by MahBoi »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:47:31 »
I type basically like this:

(where each color represents a different finger)

And I would recommend anyone else stuck with a standard keyboard do something similar.

Much better of course is to switch to a more reasonably shaped keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 18:49:29 by jacobolus »

Offline ksm123

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 08:14:19 »
Touch typing with proper fingers becomes natural on column staggered keyboards (ergodox and company). Without row staggering there is no incentive to adjust fingering. A layout that minimizes sequences of same finger letters is an additional bonus.

Space is very touchy topic. If one uses both thumbs, then which is the right one to use, the one opposite to hand used to type the last letter of previous word, or the one hand opposite to hand that will type the first letter of following word?
I'm using my left thumb only, right uset to be reserved to press AltGr, and now it rests on thumb cluster button responsible for backspace action.

Touch-typing numbers and symbols is hard to acquire skill, I need blank keys to master it.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 08:30:25 »
No, I use my right ring finger.

Yes.

No, only my right thumb.

No, I use whatever is comfortable. But most of the time, it's the correctly finger.
Not really.

Offline rsac

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 15:05:57 »
I guess I will do a little necromancy too. I don't think this topic has become old.

I think that something like a AWEF JIO; home row position makes more sense on standard QWERTY keyboards than the "proper" touch-typing technique. You can see many of the fastest self-taught QWERTY typists doing something like that. But that is because the standard keyboard and QWERTY layout are broken. I plan to migrate to a vertically staggered keyboard and alternative layout so the almost "proper" touch typing technique I learned in school can be more effective.

Well, to the answers:

When I'm in the middle of a heated typing usually I use the right pinky. If I'm at or I'm going to make a pause, I use the ring and middle finger together to hit it, usually.

Yes, I usually use the opposite shift, but with exceptions. For example, I usually use the right shift in combination with the keys on the right of "p;" column (accentuation and [{}]), but use the left shift for the other right hand keys and vice-versa, including the ones in on the number row to the right of "p;".

Only my right thumb.

I don't really know, but I guess mostly yes... but I frequently flee to the number pad to type numbers, and there are many number row symbols that I can't touch type (they are: @#$%&)

I press C and , with the index finger.

I also use either my index, middle or ring finger to hit "?"  as it is always chorded with (right) shift and usually followed by an enter and a pause in typing (waiting the response on IM).